What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best coco Nutrient? Advanced, Canna, OR H&G

I am trying to select coco nutrients to use a top feed setup that is drain to waste. What nutrients will produce the most resin covered, flavorful medicine and still give a nice yield in that order?

Should I use CoCo Croutons, Royal gold loose coco, or a mix of loose coco and perlite?

Would it be better to do 3gal pots or 4x4 beds filled with coco?

Does the AN 2+ live up to its reputation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I don't really want to have to buy all 3 and compare just to find the winner! Thank you!

I have used rockwool & gh, but my meds dont have enough resin as i would like, so i am trying to increase the quality of my final product.

Last edited:

chicalyx

As you know, there's no "best" coco nutrients, it's how you use em. With that being said, I've always been of the school of thought that simple is best...ie I've never even considered using AN. I used Canna my first coco run with good results,, I'm sure the H+G would do fine as well. About to try CNS17 by Botanicare which seems quite promising. Anyway I'm sure someone with more experience feeding coco will step in.

Eijneb

All I've used in coco is AN thus far. Let me save you some hassle bud. Don't go with the whole 2+ proggy, it's gonna be more trouble than its worth.

IMHO, all you really need are a few basic's, K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid).

Here's what I've used with success (I define success as 1.3Lbs over a 1kw strain: Bubba Kush, veg 14, flo 60 : yours may differ)

MJ A+B Bloom (Veg with this as well; just look at the NPK compared to the Veg A+B)
Carboload (1ml/L wk 2+ flo)
Fulvic Acid (1ml/L : makes for a good foliar too)

Messing with Big Bud and Overdrive has always resulted in some P burn with my crops, however I wouldnt rule it out their use if your willing to experiment.

You can produce VERY tasty, smelling flowers, very resinous buds, with just the 3 listed above. Remember, strain has ALOT to do with it as well.

Now mothers are a different story. These I keep in soil and receive some other stuff. But I assume we're talking for flower here.

G

Guest 18340

I use Gh flora series, nothing else, and have zero problems. Like Eijneb said, K.I.S.S.

Grizz

Veteran
havent tried anything but canna A & B with great results, very easy to use and I cut dasage down one third in veg and full streanth in flower with a little cal mag every month.

B

bottletoke

ive had good results as well with canna a+b, but i find adding pk 13/14 or a similar nutrient during flowering helps alot...

slappyjack

chicalyx said:
As you know, there's no "best" coco nutrients, it's how you use em. With that being said, I've always been of the school of thought that simple is best...ie I've never even considered using AN. I used Canna my first coco run with good results,, I'm sure the H+G would do fine as well. About to try CNS17 by Botanicare which seems quite promising. Anyway I'm sure someone with more experience feeding coco will step in.

I'm on my first coco grow (@ 38 days 12/12) using 100% CNS17 nutes, nothing else. It's working perfectly so far. I've had zero problems, PH stays locked in at 5.7~5.9 with no PH down/up. CNS is producing the fattest, frostiest buds I've ever grown. Maybe it's more a function of the coco, the LST or my new CMH lighting, but regardless I'm overjoyed at the results.

All I have to worry about now is the overgrowth taking over my closet. :)

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Different brands have their own benefits. H&G root excelurator is the best rooting additive on the market. hands down. otherwise, their base nutrients are about the same. H&G and Canna are the only two you can follow the directions on the bottle and not burn the shit out of your plants, and that says something for their integrity. Monkey Juice "b" has been known to go bad in whole batches before. Advanced sweet leaf is a good flavor additive (with a distinctive flavor) for blah commercial strains. Buying the complete 2+ program is mostly snake oil, though.
little rambling, sorry, just off smoke break.
bottom line: H&G and Canna are overall superior nutes to Advanced. If you break down the exact ml used H&G is actually cheaper per application than Advanced for the base nutes. Drip clean is unnecessary in your style setup, IMHO.
Canna is very good and it's end flavor is complex and supports the identifying characteristics of the strain you're growing. I think it's also slightly more expensive than H&G....... you make the call.
I'm running optimum a&b for coco w/ root excelurator (H&G); bud blood(advanced), big bud(advanced), phosphoload (dutch master), cha-ching(foxfarm), purple maxx and gravity (humboldt county's own).

remember that base nutrients are just that..... base

peace, love & coco

The Vermonster

All i know is AN........Liquid Karma from Botainicare is a must for me as is Hygrowzyme!!!!!! I use the bricks of Coco from Botainicare($20) and use it str8 up w/ nothing else and I DONT Flush the Coco either and never had a ph problem!!!! GL Coco rocks!!!!!!

Last edited:

tngreen

Veteran
ive only used Botanicare and wouldn't switch for anything, lovin this stuff. works great with coco.

MoleMcHenry

I've had great results with floranova grow and algoflash flowering formula, but I haven't finished my first flowering cycle with coco yet, so take flowering formula recommendation with a grain of salt. I believe Krakatoa has also used algoflash on coco with good results, too.

My girls are in the best condition they've ever been in ever since I switched over to House and Garden... the root excel is one of the best products on the market imho...

JBM

evlme2 said:
I use Gh flora series, nothing else, and have zero problems. Like Eijneb said, K.I.S.S.

What he said. Look at H3ads formula in the stick in this coco section.

Mr. Burgundy

Anyone else using Bio Bizz with Coco? I have one batch that is curing from my first coco grow/bio bizz grow.. my Cali O is especially orange and diesel fuel creamy-not to mention after a 6 week veg period I got a 3ft tall plant in an 7in white pot. My GHS Lemon Skunk is smelling especially juicy and complex.

I got great crops via DWC and PBP-but I will being staying w/ coco and various nute lines... I have used GH products before, and there are others I have my eye on...H&G is one of them.

I like the product,and I know with time I will work on mistakes, etc...

but I am always open to suggestion with other nute lines.

I run a perpetual harvest setup, so I am not worried about as much as taste and quality.

Good luck all

Mr B out.

Eijneb

I'm gonna give H3ads lucas modded formula a try. Always interested in making things as simple as possible. Will probably document my next run here in the coco forum, using this formula.

Ron, why does a perpetual have to sacrifice quality? Bust that ass, and do things right! Don't let San Diego down! =P

HYDROJUNKIE

Ive used PBP in coco for about 2 years or so and the yield was ok but not the best,..and I always had a trichrome defficiency..lol
the buds smoke well and are nice and smelly but thats it...ditched the whole line.

canna works well but I always get some serious yellowing too early followed by falling leaves,...Not enough N for my strains...only problem I had.
indicas did well but nothing to rave about...

Ive tried a couple different GH recipe's (lucas,rezdog's) and had some great results but I felt the yield could be a tad better...buds filled out really late imo/growth was not vigorous.

now im one of those guys that doesnt follow alot of hype,....and when it comes to AN there's alot....
bottom line is that I had a 2 gallons of sensi bloom A+b laying around from my dwc days, so when I ran out of PBP I decided ''what the hell'' Ill use this stuff and see what happens and save some money at the same time.
Ive grown the same strain (sour diesel) using all these nutes and when I used the AN the buds were huge and frosty as hell...also the smoke was alot more potent than usual...
I used AN sensi bloom a+b and 1 ml per gallon of pk-13/14 and 1 teaspoon or tablespoon(cant remember) of unsulphered blackstrap mollasses and some sm-90 and botanicares pro foliar-drip to waste in 2 gallon pots fed once a day.

good luck! :joint:

Mr. Burgundy

Eijneb said:
Ron, why does a perpetual have to sacrifice quality? Bust that ass, and do things right! Don't let San Diego down! =P

UH oh, did I say that? That wasn't me, that was Baxter, after he ate the whole wheel of cheese! ...I meant sacrificing bigger yields with 4 plants, versus smaller ones, more variety, and better quality than I would get on the street. My bad.
I should take a baked creative writing class before I start posting... :)

*Right now I have four clones in the closet- I just finished a 9 plant batch, and I felt that was too crowded.I figure, go 4 or 3 every 4-5 weeks and always have something growing, drying, and curing..

Mr B out.

Eijneb

HYDROJUNKIE said:
Ive used PBP in coco for about 2 years or so and the yield was ok but not the best,..and I always had a trichrome defficiency..lol
the buds smoke well and are nice and smelly but thats it...ditched the whole line.

canna works well but I always get some serious yellowing too early followed by falling leaves,...Not enough N for my strains...only problem I had.
indicas did well but nothing to rave about...

Ive tried a couple different GH recipe's (lucas,rezdog's) and had some great results but I felt the yield could be a tad better...buds filled out really late imo/growth was not vigorous.

now im one of those guys that doesnt follow alot of hype,....and when it comes to AN there's alot....
bottom line is that I had a 2 gallons of sensi bloom A+b laying around from my dwc days, so when I ran out of PBP I decided ''what the hell'' Ill use this stuff and see what happens and save some money at the same time.
Ive grown the same strain (sour diesel) using all these nutes and when I used the AN the buds were huge and frosty as hell...also the smoke was alot more potent than usual...
I used AN sensi bloom a+b and 1 ml per gallon of pk-13/14 and 1 teaspoon or tablespoon(cant remember) of unsulphered blackstrap mollasses and some sm-90 and botanicares pro foliar-drip to waste in 2 gallon pots fed once a day.

good luck! :joint:

*sigh* see everytime I wanna leave AN, someone has to post something like this, makes me want to say. FWIW, I was gonna use AN's Bloom & Micro vs. the GH equiv. Their almost exact except for a few small #'s. I was also gonna use Fulvic & Carboload (molasses), like I always do.

So that begs the question, when you tried the lucas style, were you using any additives at all? That might make a diff in the frost dept.

Mr. Burgundy said:
UH oh, did I say that? That wasn't me, that was Baxter, after he ate the whole wheel of cheese! ...I meant sacrificing bigger yields with 4 plants, versus smaller ones, more variety, and better quality than I would get on the street. My bad.
I should take a baked creative writing class before I start posting... :)

*Right now I have four clones in the closet- I just finished a 9 plant batch, and I felt that was too crowded.I figure, go 4 or 3 every 4-5 weeks and always have something growing, drying, and curing..

Mr B out.

Hahaha see I was always like this too, switched to Mono-cropping and havent looked back. Makes things easier in the mixing up nutes dept, and really saw my yield take off big time.

MoleMcHenry said:
I've had great results with floranova grow and algoflash flowering formula, but I haven't finished my first flowering cycle with coco yet, so take flowering formula recommendation with a grain of salt. I believe Krakatoa has also used algoflash on coco with good results, too.

Mole, did you have to add any cal or mg with Algoflash? Im looking for just a one part fert--also on coco.

G

Greyskull

I like Canna. I've tried both Botanicare Triflex & PBP programs (w/all the trimmings - liquid karma, blast off, hygrozyme & hydroguard, hydroplex). I like Canna - been using them for almost 1yr straight.

Here's some pics of my latest harvest (last week)

Here's the schedule I've put together that I am very pleased with.

For water, I use a good old hose with a refridgerator style filter (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100009882) connected = ph 7.0 350ppm.

I spent $345 dollars yesterday on 5L A&B, 5L Cannazym, 1L Rhizotonic, 1G Sweet. Almost enough nutrients to last 3 complete grows (I actually use 2.5G Sweet per grow, and I didn't buy BOOST... I use 1L @$100 per each grow!) using 40g reserviors. Each crop (1K hps=500-600g) truly costs me about $400 in nutrients. I am super stoked with my results.

Good luck in your search for the nutes that work for you!