What's new

Bee line lighter strings

W

Weedman Herb

Ummm ... that's for huffing butane and other nasty things and has No Bearing on the subject at hand. Nice Try ... but No Cigar.

SpoCannabis

Weedman Herb said:
Ummm ... that's for huffing butane and other nasty things and has No Bearing on the subject at hand. Nice Try ... but No Cigar.
:laughing: Are you serious?!?! What do you think you are doing when you use a lighter with a pipe...INHALING burnt, AND unburnt butane there genius! Wow, I am still in shock you wasted the time to post that without thinking...:bashhead:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SpoCannabis said:
:laughing: Are you serious?!?! What do you think you are doing when you use a lighter with a pipe...INHALING burnt, AND unburnt butane there genius! Wow, I am still in shock you wasted the time to post that without thinking...:bashhead:

That's right, forgot you're the only one here who's thinking... LOL

No, WeedmanHerb is right, and you're wrong. Deal with it.

W

Weedman Herb

Lighting weed isn't concentrating and huffing toxic chemicals ... You sound like The US Govt and their scare tactics ... remember Reefer Madness?

Last edited:

bleezie

for those who enjoy the use of bongs and use bic type lighters, perhaps you might notice how the flame is almost always going downward into the bowl when as you take a hit. so therefore you are inhaling a the burnt fumes of butane, which is i think more chemically toxic than butane itself because it has chemically changed after igniting. and as my earlier post about the flint. i just hate seeing people flip their bics right over their bowl and shooting that man made "flint" dust into your herb. if you ever notice that your bowl crackles like a mini firework show, its because you just grinded some flint into your bowl before burning it, which then as i said eariler, converts into toxic fumes once it's burned, quoted from wikipedia. all this toxic inhaling might be contributing to the bad mj health that you might hear around. its your health, just think of it like this, how many more years do you want to get high for? :)

chicalyx

Don't know that using traditional (bic) lighters leads to inhalation of toxic fumes, but I do know it makes the hit taste like bitter asshole. And ya, whenever I HAVE to use a bic, I always let the 'fireworks' die down before touching it to the bowl. And speaking of bics, why the fuck they make the flame bigger? Circa ?2000? they were great for toking, but now they seem to have monster flames. Probably figure they sell more lighters.

Like most everything in this great hobby of ours, it comes down to personal preference. Know some people that I hold in high regard as stoners seem to really enjoy beeline. Definitely not for me.

TwoOhSix!

bleezie said:
therefore you are inhaling a the burnt fumes of butane, which is i think more chemically toxic than butane itself because it has chemically changed after igniting.

LOL is this your expert opinion? Take a chemistry class or something man, that is some retarded logic you have going on there.

The reactants in butane ignition are C4H10 and O2 and the products are CO2 and H2O. The balanced equation is as follows:

2C4H10 + 13O2 -> 8CO2 + 10H2O

I'm inhaling carbon dioxide and water! Oh no!

Last edited:

bleezie

TwoOhSix! said:
LOL is this your expert opinion? Take a chemistry class or something man, that is some retarded logic you have going on there.

The reactants in butane ignition are C4H10 and O2 and the products are CO2 and H2O. The balanced equation is as follows:

2C4H10 + 13O2 -> 8CO2 + 10H2O

I'm inhaling carbon dioxide and water! Oh no!

thanks for the clarification. i was not too sure, but i assumed it was more toxic due to previous experiences, that is why i said "i think". im no expert here, just tryin to learn and share the knowledge.

B420

Wow, Great read I was completely unaware of the damage I was doing with the bics. Already ordered some of this beeline. Curious to see how it works and if I like using it. But for only $2.99 it was worth a try. Thank you for shedding light on a way to smoke healthier. Guess it no bongs for now just back to the vape.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
B420 said:
Wow, Great read I was completely unaware of the damage I was doing with the bics. Already ordered some of this beeline. Curious to see how it works and if I like using it. But for only $2.99 it was worth a try. Thank you for shedding light on a way to smoke healthier. Guess it no bongs for now just back to the vape.

Did you actually read this thread?

The only people saying Bics cause damage are the ones who can't back it up with any kind of evidence... People who are just repeating the marketing BS of Bee Line.

You're going to stop using a bong because some fools on the internet told you a bic is toxic, even though other, more respected members, stepped up to demonstrate scientifically how that is false?

LOL man.

And you're paying for it when you could get a free sample?

Seriously the dumbest post I've read in here so far.

B420

Can you honestly point out to me the place where it has been published that inhaling butane IS GOOD for you. And I only stated I was going to stop using the bong right now simply because I have a vaporizer, which you cannot argue that the vape is much healthier than a bong. I understand that the chemical equation leaves only H20 and CO2 but I am not sure about other variables much like the flint that was mentioned, I do think they are toxic. I am purely stating that I am choosing to try beeline and do an honest amount of research on the subject before I truly make a decision on what I will prefer to use. I only intend to base my choice on my own research and conclusions. And I also understand your remark about the more respected members giving their advise and I am grateful that they do but just because someone isn't as highly respected around here yet does not mean that they have only useless information that should just be looked over with no regard. I never meant to come off stupid here and I will apologize for the comment.

T

Truthman

What makes beeline better is because it has a lower temperature than lighters due to the beeswax burning around 470f and lighters burning 2500f-3590f.

This is why there is more taste than with lighters and I doubt it's the butane giving a fouls taste that people talk about but the burned plant fibers.

You still are burning plant fibers with beeline but because of it's lower temperature, you will vaporize more flavor before the plant fibers burn.

BTW, I think you would get the best results using a lotus pipe lighter with Circular Windproof Flame(google search) and just use the heat of the lighter to light the bowl. Doing this will get the taste out and you don't have to worry about inhaling soot from the wax and other low quality lighters.

Last edited:

chicalyx

^^^actually a decent post in support of the line. I could actually buy into the lower temps being beneficial.

That said, I can achieve the same thing with a torch lighter held a sufficient distance away. Also, butane definitely does factor into the nasty taste from traditional lighters. Don't care what anyone says. If you torch a bowl with a bic, then torch with a torch w/clean gas, you'll know the difference. OK, maybe not definitely the butane, but definitely something to do with the 'ignition' system, not temperature.

edit: I see that Truthman already laid down the truth about torches.

Last edited:

SpoCannabis

B420 said:

Way to be ;-) :smoker: They get A LOT cheaper than $2.99 if you buy direct from BeeLine, and buy a box or two. 21 packets in a box - 9ft i believe on each packet.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Truthman said:
What makes beeline better is because it has a lower temperature than lighters due to the beeswax burning around 470f and lighters burning 2500f-3590f.

This is why there is more taste than with lighters and I doubt it's the butane giving a fouls taste that people talk about but the burned plant fibers.

You still are burning plant fibers with beeline but because of it's lower temperature, you will vaporize more flavor before the plant fibers burn.

BTW, I think you would get the best results using a lotus pipe lighter with Circular Windproof Flame(google search) and just use the heat of the lighter to light the bowl. Doing this will get the taste out and you don't have to worry about inhaling soot from the wax and other low quality lighters.

I agree with a lot of your post.. I do think the "foul" taste from using a lighter comes from more matter being burned as opposed to vaporized.

I've used an "ubie" and a "vaporgenie" portable vaporizer, both of which can be used with a standard lighter.. The vaporizor taste is absolutely there if done right, and there is no extra butane taste, so I think it really is a matter of temperature.

Great point!

As for the burning temperature of Bee Line, based on the average burning temperature of a candle, which I think is a fair comparison, I don't see how the quoted figure of 470f could be accurate.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1998-05/895030315.Ch.r.html said:
On average, the maximum flame temperature will be about 2550 deg F.

The site I quote below also gives the maximum temperature of a candle flame as 1400c, or 2552f.

I really don't believe Bee Line could be, nor does it appear to be, that much less hot than a candle flame, they look and feel like the same thing and are working along the same principal.

I also think the quoted temperature of the butane flame is slightly misleading, as that is the temperature at a point of the flame that gets nowhere near the cannabis, and is likely the place where the candle was measured at 2550F.

This breaks it down better than I ever could, from "Flame temperatures of open flames":

http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html said:
The starting point for discussing this topic can be the work of the late Dr. McCaffrey, who made extensive measurements [4] of temperatures in turbulent diffusion flames. He used gas burners in a "pool fire" mode (i.e., non-premixed) and studied various characteristics of such fire plumes. He described three different regimes in such a fire plume:

1. Slightly above the base of the fire begins the continuous flame region. Here the temperatures are constant and are slightly below 900°C.
2. Above the solid flame region is the intermittent flame region. Here the temperatures are continuously dropping as one moves up the plume. The visible flame tips correspond to a temperature of about 320°C.
3. Finally, beyond the flame tips is the thermal plume region, where no more flames are visible and temperature continually drop with height.

So there is a range of areas to be measured, and at the tip, 320C works out to 572F, vs 1652F at the base of the flame. They are using wood as an example I believe, but the drop off is similar for other kinds of fire.

I think the candle measurement of 2550F is measured at the same place as the butane flame, which would make them extremely similar. If the Bee Line drops to 470f where it was measured, then I strongly suspect the bic flame would sport a similar temperature if measured at the same distance.

Holding my finger over the bic and the Bee Line at the same distance doesn't reveal a noticeable difference in heat.. Not scientific, but my crude observations are in line with the data, so I really can't accept the idea that they are that far apart in temperature in real world usage.

B420 said:
Can you honestly point out to me the place where it has been published that inhaling butane IS GOOD for you. And I only stated I was going to stop using the bong right now simply because I have a vaporizer, which you cannot argue that the vape is much healthier than a bong. I understand that the chemical equation leaves only H20 and CO2 but I am not sure about other variables much like the flint that was mentioned, I do think they are toxic. I am purely stating that I am choosing to try beeline and do an honest amount of research on the subject before I truly make a decision on what I will prefer to use. I only intend to base my choice on my own research and conclusions. And I also understand your remark about the more respected members giving their advise and I am grateful that they do but just because someone isn't as highly respected around here yet does not mean that they have only useless information that should just be looked over with no regard. I never meant to come off stupid here and I will apologize for the comment.

Hey, sorry for being a bit harsh.

I just got a bit bothered at the idea of my peers changing their lives around based on what I believe to be false information designed to sell a product.

Really sounded like "OMG I gotta stop using my bong and lighter!" but I may have been reading into your comments a little too much.

Do share the results of your research with us.

Last edited:
C

cbf

Way to be ;-) They get A LOT cheaper than $2.99 if you buy direct from BeeLine, and buy a box or two. 21 packets in a box - 9ft i believe on each packet.

OMG, dude how blatant do you have to be to sell that shit. You're making me sick, you sound like a seedy salesman trying to make up some hazard angle to sell your shit. Its a gimmick that won't last, bottom line, just like transparent papers..and you need the bic to light the stupid hemp yarn anyway..

Last edited:
T

Truthman

Mr. Bongjangles said:
I agree with a lot of your post.. I do think the "foul" taste from using a lighter comes from more matter being burned as opposed to vaporized.

I've used an "ubie" and a "vaporgenie" portable vaporizer, both of which can be used with a standard lighter.. The vaporizor taste is absolutely there if done right, and there is no extra butane taste, so I think it really is a matter of temperature.

Great point!

As for the burning temperature of Bee Line, based on the average burning temperature of a candle, which I think is a fair comparison, I don't see how the quoted figure of 470f could be accurate.

The site I quote below also gives the maximum temperature of a candle flame as 1400c, or 2552f.

I really don't believe Bee Line could be, nor does it appear to be, that much less hot than a candle flame, they look and feel like the same thing and are working along the same principal.

I also think the quoted temperature of the butane flame is slightly misleading, as that is the temperature at a point of the flame that gets nowhere near the cannabis, and is likely the place where the candle was measured at 2550F.

This breaks it down better than I ever could, from "Flame temperatures of open flames":

So there is a range of areas to be measured, and at the tip, 320C works out to 572F, vs 1652F at the base of the flame. They are using wood as an example I believe, but the drop off is similar for other kinds of fire.

I think the candle measurement of 2550F is measured at the same place as the butane flame, which would make them extremely similar. If the Bee Line drops to 470f where it was measured, then I strongly suspect the bic flame would sport a similar temperature if measured at the same distance.

Holding my finger over the bic and the Bee Line at the same distance doesn't reveal a noticeable difference in heat.. Not scientific, but my crude observations are in line with the data, so I really can't accept the idea that they are that far apart in temperature in real world usage.

Hey, sorry for being a bit harsh.

I just got a bit bothered at the idea of my peers changing their lives around based on what I believe to be false information designed to sell a product.

Really sounded like "OMG I gotta stop using my bong and lighter!" but I may have been reading into your comments a little too much.

Do share the results of your research with us.

I like the way you broke it down about the base of the flame to the tip and temperature.

I was looking at the beeline but someone showed how it gave off heavy soot and the lotus 2200 lighter was clean. It was a ghetto science project but it produced results that can be compared and is a start.

I will just keep the flame away from the bowl and let the heat light the bowl until it cherries.

Lotus 2200 lighter review:
https://tokecity.com/forums/archive/index.php4/t-21555.html

Pictures of different lighters and soot:
https://tokecity.com/forums/picture.php4?albumid=507&pictureid=5948

Here is someone talking about beeline and soot:

"Tried it, and not very impressed to be honest. Compared to my Lotus L2200 with Vector fuel the Beeline didn't change anything as far as taste goes, and I tried hard to detect it. I don't know how you guys smoke when using lighters, but I just briefly kiss the bud with the flame, maybe one second at most.

I did the pop can test that I do with all my lighters (hold flame under a pop can for 10 seconds and watch how much soot accumulates) My Lotus left absolutely nothing behind, the beeline left some pretty heavy soot. Not a real technical test I'll be admit, but considering I couldn't detect any taste differences, and the Beeline has a pretty sooty flame, I think I'll stick with my lighters.

I'm just curious, are all the people comparing the Beeline in favor to a lighter just using bics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
Lighters are horrible and kill you,
Really? As in, starting a house fire resulting in death? Sounds like you've been fooled. Butane is non-toxic. Don't believe me? Do some research and post an article that labels butane as toxic. You won't find one. The only time you will see Butane labeled as toxic is on Vaporizer and (not surprisingly) BeeLine's website. Funny, don't you think? I guess vape manufacturers and BeeLine have an exclusive insight into the Toxicity of butane. Just a little food for thought...

And before anybody chimes in with a clever remark about how their brother's friend's sister huffed Butane for 10 years and died, I'd like to point out that there are NUMEROUS substances that are not only safe, but necessary for humans, that can and will kill in high concentrations. Oxygen WILL kill you if inhaled in concentrated quantities. Water can kill you (Hyponatremia)

Not trying to stir up trouble, I just really take issue with misinformed people spewing falsities."

T

Truthman

chicalyx said:
^^^actually a decent post in support of the line. I could actually buy into the lower temps being beneficial.

That said, I can achieve the same thing with a torch lighter held a sufficient distance away. Also, butane definitely does factor into the nasty taste from traditional lighters. Don't care what anyone says. If you torch a bowl with a bic, then torch with a torch w/clean gas, you'll know the difference. OK, maybe not definitely the butane, but definitely something to do with the 'ignition' system, not temperature.

edit: I see that Truthman already laid down the truth about torches.

Yeah I like torch lighters but you can burn yourself very fast with them UNTIL I learned about pipe lighters with Circular Windproof Flame. It is at a 90 degree angle which means all you have to do is put the flame over the bowl which is good for what we are talking about here because you just have to put it above the bowl and get the heat to light the bowl and you don't have to worry about your hand getting too hot from flipping the flame.

Last edited:

pack a bowl

bee line looks like a pain in the ass / not worth the $$$. aside from vaping, nothing beats a magnifying glass and the bright sun