What's new

Basic genetics explained

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Assuming flowered has the higher CBC ratio, but which by your testing?

NO

morphological variants possessing a ‘prolonged juvenile chemotype (PJC),
PJC is associated with a reduced presence of floral bracts, bracteoles, and capitate-stalked trichomes.
Genetic factors causing these features were independent of the allelic chemotype locus B that was previously postulated and regulates THC and CBD synthesis and CBG accumulation. In contrast to previously described Cannabis chemotypes, the cannabinoid composition of PJCs showed plasticity in that reduced light levels increased the CBC proportion.

-SamS

Last edited:
I'm don't know this from experience…

I'm don't know this from experience…

NO

morphological variants possessing a ‘prolonged juvenile chemotype (PJC),
PJC is associated with a reduced presence of floral bracts, bracteoles, and capitate-stalked trichomes.
Genetic factors causing these features were independent of the allelic chemotype locus B that was previously postulated and regulates THC and CBD synthesis and CBG accumulation. In contrast to previously described Cannabis chemotypes, the cannabinoid composition of PJCs showed plasticity in that reduced light levels increased the CBC proportion.

-SamS
Thank you Sam, while assuming associative analgesia could be occuring in flowering might sound off-base, your testing proves valuable in that alleged anti-inflammatory/viral and analgesic properties are leaning to vegetative stage. In relation to stem cells the greater medical community might want to study the CBC closer while in vegetative state. My base curiosity is if more valuable medical properties occur early on.

L

Luther Burbank

Yo, a ways back TomHill was suggesting two different books on plant breeding. I've been looking for those posts to no avail. Anyone have that written down by chance?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
hi
hope i get some answers here

i´m growing some deepchunk corecut from ff in vienna

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=290591&page=5

and there are some people who say that they might be powerhouse(DCxC99).

i saved some clone for making fem seeds.
could growing these seeds be an answer if dc or ph?
like all offsprings look uniform it might be dc?

and if off springs look different(think it should be 25%,25%,50%) it could be ph?

till now i think they are ph

thx willi

L

Luther Burbank

Maybe. It was this year when he'd come back for a hot second. Pretty sure I've written them down here somewhere, they were definitely very recent editions of older textbooks.

edit: Found the title of one scribbled away - Plant Breeding by Jack Brown, Peter Caligari and Hugo Campas.

Last edited:

Miraculous Meds

Maybe. It was this year when he'd come back for a hot second. Pretty sure I've written them down here somewhere, they were definitely very recent editions of older textbooks.

edit: Found the title of one scribbled away - Plant Breeding by Jack Brown, Peter Caligari and Hugo Campas.

Selection methods in plant breeding by Bos, and Caligari, and another by Allard but I cant remember the title. That's what comes to mind for me, but im not positive.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Skeet skeet

TomHill said:
A couple of recommendations-

Principles of Plant Breeding
By Robert Wayne Allard

Selection Methods in Plant Breeding
By Izak Bos, Peter D. S. Caligari

Statistical and Biometrical Techniques in Plant Breeding
By Jawahar R. Sharma

-T

KiefSweat

Veteran
Bosca's Cultivation of Hemp has the most complete info on breeding hemp strains of cannabis. Its pretty useful if you can find a copy

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
The biggest step will come from the stabilisation of RNA across large populations. Until then, manipulation of genetic content will only give you odds still.

crazyhorse73

Gone to the dogs after all the ego's subside. This thread that is! Breeders that are real are rare. Try ace and cannabiogen, find a male and chuck some pollen. Bagseed can be excellent to if it comes from 20 years ago before all these twats thought they could play god with a plant that is beyond their or anyone else's control. When you smoke something that really rocks you will know. Take a cut and frig around with several, lots of males. Could it be any simpler. :tiphat::dance013:

Y

Yard dog

Hey, not so touchy, keep cool!
I don't know you nor your language skills and that's why I added the references ;) .
I intentionally tried to be a bit 'stick poking' due your reaction (plus the fact that you still mix up hemp breeding with drug type cannabis breeding; C. sativa may or may not be different than C. indica in terms of dioecy). I'm sorry if the formulation I used was an affront in your ears/eyes; wasn't intended that way. Besides, I'm not anglophone (which is a bad excuse, I know).

Now, being susceptible to external factors with regard to sex expression should IMHO no count as part of the sex determination mechanism. Back in the day they did not know as much as we do now. Furthermore, nobody I know of did look into detail but simply played around with some chemicals and plant hormones. For all we know, 'hermie' expression may only be a susceptibility towards one or the other hormone or a shift in production thereof and hence be a side effect and not an intentional one.
And even if, there are not many people here who understand what all those sub-forms mean; KISS is sometimes really helpful and suffices to 'get rid of hermies'.

Yes, they (and others) did proved it as good as it got back in the day. IMHO (and others as it seems) Hoffmann's 'belief' was really only a belief which I can not comprehend nor reproduce.
The often observed off-ratio is not about the poor/inexistent YY viability but about a poorer viability of the Y gamete (which has been confirmed a few years back if I'm not mistaken). It has been proven using modern methods that monoecious varieties are in fact XX. There is no scientific or otherwise rational explanation how a true male (not a fully masculinised female) could possibly show up in an all female population (and yes, I've also heard the stories about the Bubba and Peyote Purple).

Then you agree they aren't reverting back to being dioecious then & that the natural state is not dioecious, esp since you stated;

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
And what has the part with the allosome linked traits to do with cannabis breeding?
The publication cited by Sam has a minor flaw insofar as it states in the abstract the X being the biggest one but the rest of the article says it's the Y... Anyway, it doesn't matter.
What does is that we don't know if cannabis is evolutionarily somewhere between bisexual becoming dioecious or whether it once was purely dioecious and returned partially towards monoecious or whatever... everything is possible and has for example been shown in reptiles where we have a lot more species and genetic data to compare with. That said, we will likely never know why cannabis is subdioecious, although the version of (deliberate?) incomplete evolution is regarded as most likely.
I don't get at what you're aiming with second last paragraph, the one about 'hermies' and breeding. Furthermore, it is purely speculative because (see above phrases). Selective cannabis breeding has not much to do with what's natural but with what humans want and desire.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] There's no biological possibility allowing such a variety to 're-convert' to the dioecious origin. It may be stray pollen (most likely IMO) or, because in hemp breeding one deals with thousands of individuals and not miss a single unwanted plant is nearly impossible, that by coincidence a very few male 'hermies' have been mistaken for monoecious females. Because males usually flower before the females, it's inevitable that they take over after a few generations.

How, apart from stray pollen, it could be possible to find true males in a clone only (pure female) variety I do not know. Maybe just a female gone 'full hermie' or the original female was indeed a 'full hermied' male (which would explain the >90% males in the offspring)?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
You flip flopped more than Clinton & Trump.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Then you agree they aren't reverting back to being dioecious then & that the natural state is not dioecious, esp since you stated;

You flip flopped more than Clinton & Trump.
I'm telling you this in a rather harsh manner cause you compare me with Trump: If you could read and understand what you actually read, then you'd know that these 3 statements can't be put together in one paragraph because they are context bound to different contexts and do not contradict each other.

Here's a summary, extra for you:

A: Speaking in chromosome terms, Cannabis is naturally dioecious and monoecious hemp is female. This means that a 'clean' monoecious population can not revert back to a dioecious state unless cross-pollination happens and that's the only possibility how and why males start showing up in monoecious hemp varieties.
B: Cannabis has the ability to change sex expression in response to several factors and that's why the proper definition would be subdioecious, a term seldom used.
C: Evolution usually went from monoecious to dioecious but as always, there are exceptions to the rule as has been found in reptiles where evolution went back from 'dioecious' (sexual reproduction) to 'monoecious' (parthenogenesis). Where in evolution Cannabis stands, the way up to dioecious or already on the way back to monoecious, that's what I was referring to and that's something we can't prove at the moment. According to Darwin, there has to be an advantage to that trait.