What's new

Basic genetics explained

Y

Yard dog

Mononecious reverts to dioecious quickly,
I have had this told to me by every hemp breeder I have talked to from Dr Bocsa to the Ukrainians and french breeders J.P. Mathieu, et al. and the Polish and others that maintain monoecious varieties. I know them all.
https://www.internationalhempassociation.org/jiha/iha01215.html

IBocsa: The natural state in which hemp appears was and is dioecious. Monoeciousness is artificial in hemp, it can only exist with the help of man, and without selection, the dioecious state will return in two or three generations. It is therefore very hard and demanding to keep 90 to 95 % monoeciousness during seed multiplications. Apart from that, however, monoecious hemp is appropriate only when the crop is grown for so-called double use, i.e. when both stem and seed are harvested. This is the case in France and in the former Soviet Union, where most crops are grown for double use. In a dioecious crop, the male plants will be strongly deteriorated when the crop is harvested at seed ripeness, so in this case one needs monoecious cultivars. In Hungary and its neighbouring countries, like formerly in Italy, this double use is unknown. Here fibre hemp is grown as a dense crop which is harvested at the time of male flowering ("green hemp"), while seed production takes place in crops grown at a low plant density and with completely different growing techniques. For this 'classic' use monoecious cultivars are of no use, so we never bred a monoecious cultivar.

Furthermore, monoeciousness has two large disadvantages. In the first place, all monoecious cultivars which I tested over the last 20 to 25 years yielded 10 to 20 % less than dioecious cultivars. This is caused by the possibility of self-pollination and the resulting inbreeding. With model experiments and with biometric determinations we have established that 20-25 % of self-pollination takes place in monoecious hemp, and this is the cause of the lower stem yield. In the second place, in monoecious hemp, the genetic progress for fibre content is slow, because the so-called Bredemann principle can not be used. The Bredemann principle consists of the rapid determination of fibre content in male plants before they flower, so that only the males with the highest fibre content are allowed to pollinate the female plants. In a breeding garden (nursery) of one hectare, I have 15,000 to 20,000 plants and I need only the very best 50 to 100 males for the pollination. (This can be compared to breeding of dairy cows, where a few hundred extremely good bulls inseminate all the cows of an entire country.) In monoecious hemp this approach can not be used, so the rate of genetic progress is only 50 % or less of that in dioecious hemp. In spite of these disadvantages, we use a monoecious hemp cultivar in breeding, but only as a parent for unisexual hemp.

About Monoecious:

Cultivars from France are bred and commercialized by the Fédération Nationale des Producteurs de Chanvre (FNPC), 20, rue Paul Ligneul, F-72000, Le Mans, France; Fax: +33 4377 0916. French cultivars are monoecious. In France they are grown for pulp. Their cultivation within the EU is eligible for the subsidy on fibre crops. Current breeding in France is mainly aimed at maintenance of the present cultivars (conservative breeding) and at further reduction of their THC content. Seed for sowing is readily available in two qualities. Crops grown from first quality seed (elite seed) consist almost exclusively of monoecious plants. Those from second quality seed (harvested from free-pollinated crops raised from elite seed) comprise, due to natural genetic drift, 15 to 30% males as well as a substantial amount of true-female plants.

What you can see is that quickly the monoecious is replaced by dioecious males and that just speeds the process. In one year free pollinating 15 to 30% males already. They also said to maintain their elite monoecious lines they only use monoecious individuals with the right ratio and placement of male to female flowers, as well as habit, males can have a female habit, or male habit. Females can have a male habit, that is they look more like a real loose stringy male in silhouette, or female habit with big thick flowers.

-SamS

I don't buy the statement: "The natural state in which hemp appears was and is dioecious"

It is clearly Sub-dioecious (with hemp being mono),did the ever test any of these so called males they saw return to the population? or did they just assume because the morph looked male it must be? quack quack

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ith_an_XY_Chromosome_Sex_Determination_System

Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
This time, the statement wasn't nitpicking and refers to the question 'monoecious or dioecious'. Subdioecious is only a sub-category of dioecious. All depends on how many shades of grey you want to use. Already Linnaeus described Cannabis sativa as dioecious (at that time, the term subdioecious was not yet invented). Furthermore, the presence of chromosomal sex determination and the instability of monoecious modern varieties (and the stability of other dioecious ones) prove that cannabis is in fact dioecious. Some local forms or varieties may be subdioecious (though the 'perfect' flowers are usually imperfect and sterile), whereas others are subgynoecious (several of the modern 'monoecious' varieties) or even dichogamous, but most of the not purely dioecious ones are in fact polygamodioecious. One can not generalise and apply such a term to the whole genus Cannabis; it only applies to species or even subspecies but we don't know yet how many there are... that's why we have to describe each variety, local form etc. separately.
Besides, cannabis may simply be in midst or stuck in evolution from monoecious to dioecious. Furthermore, many of what you call subdioecious varieties are only very susceptible to external influences which mess with the internal (dioecious) sex determination; if this environmental sex determination is accepted as second mechanism and hence affects the term we use (i.e. dioecious or polygamodioecious) remains IMHO a matter of debate.
So much to being nitpicking ;) .

oldchuck

Veteran
Actually, Sam's explanation of monoecious hemp was pretty interesting although I can't see it as being of much use to me personally. But when you get into something like subdioecious, whatever that is, I start feeling a slight gag reflex developing. Your comments, OO, as always, are appreciated.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
I had that reflex too... that's why I started to pick on the nits on the nits... or something like that :D .
Subdioecious and the other fuss basically means that most plants are dioecious with a few individuals showing additional flowers of this or that type, like for example a few 'nanners' or a full blown hermie.
As if that would help anything LoL! Breed properly, don't freak your plants out and good it is... right?

Y

Yard dog

This time, the statement wasn't nitpicking and refers to the question 'monoecious or dioecious'. Subdioecious is only a sub-category of dioecious. All depends on how many shades of grey you want to use. Already Linnaeus described Cannabis sativa as dioecious (at that time, the term subdioecious was not yet invented). Furthermore, the presence of chromosomal sex determination and the instability of monoecious modern varieties (and the stability of other dioecious ones) prove that cannabis is in fact dioecious. Some local forms or varieties may be subdioecious (though the 'perfect' flowers are usually imperfect and sterile), whereas others are subgynoecious (several of the modern 'monoecious' varieties) or even dichogamous, but most of the not purely dioecious ones are in fact polygamodioecious. One can not generalise and apply such a term to the whole genus Cannabis; it only applies to species or even subspecies but we don't know yet how many there are... that's why we have to describe each variety, local form etc. separately.
Besides, cannabis may simply be in midst or stuck in evolution from monoecious to dioecious. Furthermore, many of what you call subdioecious varieties are only very susceptible to external influences which mess with the internal (dioecious) sex determination; if this environmental sex determination is accepted as second mechanism and hence affects the term we use (i.e. dioecious or polygamodioecious) remains IMHO a matter of debate.
So much to being nitpicking ;) .

It is sub dioecious, it is not reverting at all. some of those monoecious labile plants are inconstant males. For it to be dioecious it will of evolved via 2 pathways those being via gynodioecy or via paradioecy, the fact they report "true" females among the 15 to 30 % "males" fits in with models that suggest those monoecious plants are evolved from the gynodioecy route. it would also fit that with pollen limitation that these plants start showing as "males".

KiefSweat

Veteran
I think it was Sengsbush and Hoffman who figured this stuff out in the 50s, but with matting of various intersexual forms you can control the ratio of the sexes in the offspring.

Y

Yard dog

I think it was Sengsbush and Hoffman who figured this stuff out in the 50s, but with matting of various intersexual forms you can control the ratio of the sexes in the offspring.

I think it was hoffman that distinguished that it wasn't "realisator" genes but something on the autosomes, it may of been Bosca that crossed a monoecious hemp plant to a dioecious female, and that the outcome was 90+ % female 3 to 5 % intersex the rest "males". I think this he termed unisexual? I can't remember but think this was the cultivar Uniko-B.

KiefSweat

Veteran
I think Hoffman claimed that you could breed a pure and stable monoecious variety, but Sengsbusch and Bosca always found that 1-3% male in the line.

The technology they used to breed those lines are different then what we are using to chemically make some lines today so I wonder if Hoffman's theory could be true.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
It is sub dioecious, it is not reverting at all. some of those monoecious labile plants are inconstant males. For it to be dioecious it will of evolved via 2 pathways those being via gynodioecy or via paradioecy, the fact they report "true" females among the 15 to 30 % "males" fits in with models that suggest those monoecious plants are evolved from the gynodioecy route. it would also fit that with pollen limitation that these plants start showing as "males".

Subdioecious would imply that a plant shows unisexual and bisexual (perfect) flowers with eventual unisexual flowers of the opposite sex. This is usually not the case because only the two types of unisexual flowers are present. Whether males or females show hermaphrodism doesn't matter in either case. Hence, the proper term would be polygamodioecious.
In that regard, it doesn't matter how cannabis or any other dioecious plant for that matter became dioecious. I do not know from where you got the numbers neither what exactly you mean with that sentence. Monoecious varieties were selected from 'hermaphroditic females' due their obvious advantage over 'hermaphroditic males' although the latter are as (un-)common as the former and likely would behave the same were they used to create male monoecious variety.
The first attempts at breeding monoecious hemp (Cannabis sativa var. sativa and not our beloved drug C. indica) were done by Grischko in the year 1931. Schurig followed in the years 35/36 and Belowitzkaja, Gretschuchin, and Hoffmann joined the picture a year later. Neuer and Sengbusch started their investigation on the inheritance of monoecious hemp in the 40s.
All of these authors state that hemp is DIOECIOUS and the basis of the monoecious varieties were found in a very few plants (less than 0.1%) showing some male flowers very late into flowering (the infamous 'banana'). Said male flowers were caused by stress, injury, or drought amongst other things, are therefore not biologically relevant and do not change the state of hemps sexual life (i.e. hemp being dioecious).

@YD I propose, if you're not already fluent in German, that you learn it and then read the original papers! THEN we can discuss again ;) . BTW, the most useful publication in this regard I have at hand right now is: H. Neuer und R. v. Sengbusch, Die Geschlechtsvererbung bei Hanf und die Züchtung eines monözischen Hanfes, Der Züchter, 15. Jahrgang, 1943, Heft 3, pp. 49-63.

Not only Bocsa did backcross to dioecious varieties, it's common practice nowadays. Since the beginning, it was clear that the few males popping up in the population come from stray dioecious pollen. Experiments by Neuer and Sengbusch in a well isolated place in Germany revealed that and proved that without stray pollen, there are no true males showing monoecious varieties (in fact, he proved his 'theory' to be true ;) ).
The same experiments didn't work out in the former UdSSR due the abundance of wild and cultivated hemp; I think this was the reason why Bócsa chose the strategy with 'unisex' varieties where some stray pollen wouldn't hurt.

EDIT: And BTW, the argument in the book Johnnyseed posted is settled in favour of von Sengbusch because we have now proof of the XX/XY allosome system in hemp.
What remains open is whether we are talking about 'hemp' or 'cannabis' ;) .
For those interested in the 'conflict', here the two publications by Walther Hoffmann as answer to von Sengbusch (I haven't read them yet):
Walther Hoffmann, Die Vererbung der Geschlechtsformen des Hanfes (Cannabis sativa L.) I, Der Züchter, 17./18. Jahrgang, 1947, Heft 9, pp. 257-277.
Walther Hoffmann, Die Vererbung der Geschlechtsformen des Hanfes (Cannabis sativa L.) II, Der Züchter, 22. Jahrgang, 1952, Heft 4-5, pp. 147-158.

And another one by von Sengbusch:
Walther Dierks und Reinhold von Sengbusch, Studium der Vererbung des Geschlechts und des Wuchstyps beim Hanf, Der Züchter, 37. Jahrgang, 1967, Heft 1, pp. 12-15.
Herein they show that a pure male monoecious variety be impossible to obtain due the lethality of male pollen obtained from such a plant/line.

NEGT1

Subdioecious would imply that a plant shows unisexual and bisexual (perfect) flowers with eventual unisexual flowers of the opposite sex. This is usually not the case because only the two types of unisexual flowers are present. Whether males or females show hermaphrodism doesn't matter in either case. Hence, the proper term would be polygamodioecious.
In that regard, it doesn't matter how cannabis or any other dioecious plant for that matter became dioecious. I do not know from where you got the numbers neither what exactly you mean with that sentence. Monoecious varieties were selected from 'hermaphroditic females' due their obvious advantage over 'hermaphroditic males' although the latter are as (un-)common as the former and likely would behave the same were they used to create male monoecious variety.

The first attempts at breeding monoecious hemp (Cannabis sativa var. sativa and not our beloved drug C. indica) were done by Grischko in the year 1931. Schurig followed in the years 35/36 and Belowitzkaja, Gretschuchin, and Hoffmann joined the picture a year later. Neuer and Sengbusch started their investigation on the inheritance of monoecious hemp in the 40s.
All of these authors state that hemp is DIOECIOUS and the basis of the monoecious varieties were found in a very few plants (less than 0.1%) showing some male flowers very late into flowering (the infamous 'banana'). Said male flowers were caused by stress, injury, or drought amongst other things, are therefore not biologically relevant and do not change the state of hemps sexual life (i.e. hemp being dioecious).

@YD I propose, if you're not already fluent in German, that you learn it and then read the original papers! THEN we can discuss again ;) . BTW, the most useful publication in this regard I have at hand right now is: H. Neuer und R. v. Sengbusch, Die Geschlechtsvererbung bei Hanf und die Züchtung eines monözischen Hanfes, Der Züchter, 15. Jahrgang, 1943, Heft 3, pp. 49-63.

Not only Bocsa did backcross to dioecious varieties, it's common practice nowadays. Since the beginning, it was clear that the few males popping up in the population come from stray dioecious pollen. Experiments by Neuer and Sengbusch in a well isolated place in Germany revealed that and proved that without stray pollen, there are no true males showing monoecious varieties (in fact, he proved his 'theory' to be true ;) ).
The same experiments didn't work out in the former UdSSR due the abundance of wild and cultivated hemp; I think this was the reason why Bócsa chose the strategy with 'unisex' varieties where some stray pollen wouldn't hurt.

EDIT: And BTW, the argument in the book Johnnyseed posted is settled in favour of von Sengbusch because we have now proof of the XX/XY allosome system in hemp.
For those interested in the 'conflict', here the two publications by Walther Hoffmann as answer to von Sengbusch (I haven't read them yet):
Walther Hoffmann, Die Vererbung der Geschlechtsformen des Hanfes (Cannabis sativa L.) I, Der Züchter, 17./18. Jahrgang, 1947, Heft 9, pp. 257-277.
Walther Hoffmann, Die Vererbung der Geschlechtsformen des Hanfes (Cannabis sativa L.) II, Der Züchter, 22. Jahrgang, 1952, Heft 4-5, pp. 147-158.

Walther Dierks und Reinhold von Sengbusch, Studium der Vererbung des Geschlechts und des Wuchstyps beim Hanf, Der Züchter, 37. Jahrgang, 1967, Heft 1, pp. 12-15.
Herein they show that a pure male monoecious variety be impossible to obtain due the lethality of male pollen obtained from such a plant/line.

Well if it's in a book it must be fact....

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Well, it's not books ;) . And no; think about the spinach and iron story. That one was in a book too but look where it got use. No matter if it's in black on white or whatever, you've got to compare, use your wits, and take own observations into account. No matter how I turn it, the outcome remains the same AND I know that one shall not read reference works and books without critically consulting the original publications (and where and if possible perform own experiments). Popeye wouldn't exist if folks writing books about healthy veggies had than that before 50 years had gone by.

Now, it would not only be nice but highly appreciated if you would (could?) contribute with something useful instead of boosting solely your post count with a very stupid comment. Like for example your observations regarding 'the other' flowers on hermaphrodites: are they of the opposite sex or perfect flowers and how is their fertility regarding the different sexes and/or combinations with all the different flower types.

Y

Yard dog

There is no evidence that a perfect bisexual flower has ever been shown within cannabis to my knowledge, anyway the numbers came from some info SamS posted. Besides the bisexual flowers in a sub dioecious population do not have to be perfect, it also fits with a model for transition ie not fully dioecious which you yourself alluded to in a previous post. However more than happy to go with Polygamodioecious than simply monoecious or dioecious.

As far as I'm aware both Hoffman and Sengbusch believed in the XX/XY system, Hoffman didn't believe what he saw was contamination and nor do I, if it were I'd of expected a higher ratio of males, I don't know on the YY viability though. I certainly believe Sengbusch was right when he stated that all monoecious varieties have the XX form, but yet I believe you will still see "males".

I'll pass from learning German, I already alluded to the fact that these were not males, anyway since you do not understand were I was coming from in the 1st place I'll refrain from posting.

gag away.

KiefSweat

Veteran
i've tried to translate a few of the papers with google translate, I saw something about Strawberries where's Tom?

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Hey, not so touchy, keep cool!
I don't know you nor your language skills and that's why I added the references ;) .
I intentionally tried to be a bit 'stick poking' due your reaction (plus the fact that you still mix up hemp breeding with drug type cannabis breeding; C. sativa may or may not be different than C. indica in terms of dioecy). I'm sorry if the formulation I used was an affront in your ears/eyes; wasn't intended that way. Besides, I'm not anglophone (which is a bad excuse, I know).

Now, being susceptible to external factors with regard to sex expression should IMHO no count as part of the sex determination mechanism. Back in the day they did not know as much as we do now. Furthermore, nobody I know of did look into detail but simply played around with some chemicals and plant hormones. For all we know, 'hermie' expression may only be a susceptibility towards one or the other hormone or a shift in production thereof and hence be a side effect and not an intentional one.
And even if, there are not many people here who understand what all those sub-forms mean; KISS is sometimes really helpful and suffices to 'get rid of hermies'.

Yes, they (and others) did proved it as good as it got back in the day. IMHO (and others as it seems) Hoffmann's 'belief' was really only a belief which I can not comprehend nor reproduce.
The often observed off-ratio is not about the poor/inexistent YY viability but about a poorer viability of the Y gamete (which has been confirmed a few years back if I'm not mistaken). It has been proven using modern methods that monoecious varieties are in fact XX. There is no scientific or otherwise rational explanation how a true male (not a fully masculinised female) could possibly show up in an all female population (and yes, I've also heard the stories about the Bubba and Peyote Purple).

Cannabichromene

Cannabichromene

When we tested veg females and flowered females of the same clone they had the same ratios of Cannabinoids in their profiles, except for CBC. What reference did you get this info from? Or is it work you did your self?
-SamS
Assuming flowered has the higher CBC ratio, but which by your testing?