What's new

Basement Buds in Bed

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking good, notwithstanding the gap in the corner.. i would say it is defo time to flip.

VG :tiphat:

G

...what distance will you be keeping the light from the tops?...

During veg I aimed for 18-24" above the tops. Pulled it up about 6" when I flipped the lights and did another 20w bump in the light intensity. Up to 280w at the wall now. I'm thinking about just raising the light as high as it will go pretty soon, but still undecided. Still bumping up the light 20w every week or so, no signs of light stress yet.

Peace
DM

G

Yesterday, day 05F

I increased the light intensity another 20w ahead of schedule and raised it up a few more inches. Lots of tops forming...
IMG_20210326_203447.jpg

Here's MPK's trunk with a mini Bic lighter for comparison. Think she'll pull more than the 22g from last round?

20210326210033_IMG_0516__01.jpg

Peace
DM

G

When I was amending the soil before this round, I noticed maybe a few dozens worms carried over with the EWC. They've been hanging out around the Blumat drippers, of course, and every once in a while I have to shovel some black gold away from the drippers or they'll get buried.

Well, one of them got buried. And I didn't notice until this morning when water was pouring out of the bottom of the bed under that spot. Luckily, most of it was caught in the drain pan under the bed, but there was some spillage... Thank goodness for shop vacs and box fans!

I've noticed in the past that the drippers touching the dirt have a much larger wet spot than other higher-raised drippers. It seems that the drip turns into a stream when they are in contact with the wet surface, like wicking or something. Guess I'll have to keep em a couple inches above the soil from now on.

:kos:

Peace DM

G

:laughing: Thanks yo. There are so many growth spots on all of them, I'm starting to think I should thin them out a bit...but I'm hesitant. I tend to just let them do their thing when I've never grown a strain before. We'll see.

Got the newest addition to the stockpile today
IMG_20210329_151503.jpg

And since it's been a while since I posted a flower pic:
IMG_20210328_212515__01.jpg

Lacy Phacelia

Peace
DM

Mattbho

Damn dog u do up a mean screen. Do you use malted barley at all? I got some fresh milled at a local home brew store.. Wow im amazed at the soil/plants reaction to this stiff stupid cheap too...

Mattbho

Whats the plan are you lolly popping before the flip?

Im going to re reconmend you try and not pluck until stretch is done, unless you want to slow a certain plant down . It works well for that .

G

...Do you use malted barley at all?...
Yep, I top-dressed it last round, and amended some more in there between runs. I use my own grain mill right here in the basement, fresh as can be. That reminds me, I should top-dress again...thanks!

Whats the plan are you lolly popping before the flip?

Im going to re reconmend you try and not pluck until stretch is done, unless you want to slow a certain plant down . It works well for that .

Oh, I already flipped. Today is day 9 flower. I trimmed most of what was below the screen on MPK since she's so leafy and really tight internodes, not sure I'd call it lollipopping per-se. The other girls were quite stretchy in veg, comparatively, so they don't have a lot of vegetation under the screen to begin with. Just clipped the weakest branches down there before flipping.

​​​​​​I do plan to wait until day 21+ before any major defoliation. For now, just plucking a random fan here and there when they cover up too many new growth spots.

Peace DM

G

Starting to see the very first signs of flowers, these pics are from yesterday, day 11. Thinking of just letting them grow from here, no more training...

IMG_20210401_203510.jpg

Chem D S1 shorty, she looks to be healthy now, just relatively tiny. Her clone is struggling in the dome, too, but I'm hopeful.

IMG_20210401_203526.jpg

Chem 91 S1 has such glossy leaves
IMG_20210401_203538.jpg

Chem 91 x TK I think has the most exposed bud sites. She was the stretchiest and stinkiest in veg...

IMG_20210401_203534.jpg

Sowahh has really strong stems and gigantic fans, very resistant to the training.

IMG_20210401_203549.jpg

Mendocino Purple Kush holding things down in the middle. I've only plucked a handful of fans since flipping, just the ones covering other plants.

IMG_20210401_203544.jpg

Looks like all the plants now have a healthy population of worms living under the drippers! Thought I saw an egg sac the other day, but didn't snap a pic.

IMG_20210401_205444.jpg

Peace
DM

bs0

Day 64 flower

Took the top down on CSI Bubba, as she was scaring me with how her fan leaves we're wilting. Didn't want to risk it another night... Left the bottom half and both side branches in tact.
picture.php

Sorry it's out of focus...
picture.php

And there's Sugar Puffs back there waving goodbye, too. Took all of her tops down and left the larf to mature a bit more. Only the main cola and one or two side branches are moderately dense, everything else is quite airy. And there are probably two dozen bananas all over her. Definitely won't run this one again.
picture.php

Here's all her tops hanging...
picture.php

And some Bubs hanging and curing alongside Sugar Puffs
picture.php

Peace
DM

That wilting is from the drought stress. When the plant experiences severe drought it will drink *all* the water in the big leaves killing them. This will not progress if you keep them watered.
Never heard of doing a drought late flower. What is the purpoae/theory?

bs0

Yep, still deep purple on the first press, almost black on the second.

I think my 4-ton bottle jack is not strong enough sometimes, idk... I could replace the bottle jack with a 6-ton, but still don't know if that's enough.

I'm honestly not sure how much water is drawn each week, thank you Blumats! But I know certain spots of the bed dry quicker than other spots, simply because of the airflow dynamics around the room. I tend to think of it in terms of a lawn outside; you typically need about 1/2" of rainfall each week to stay healthy. I tried to calculate how much water would be 1/2" for the 4'x4' bed, and I think I came up with something like 5 gallons, but my head hurt because numbers. But that was just me trying to keep the top few inches moist while the bed was vacant. Full of plants, probably much more uptake than 5gal/week. That's the best I got, sorry!

Here's a VG Bubba nug with about a 1 month cure on. Pressed 6.8g and got 0.63g out. She's frosty af, not sure why I can't even get 10%...
picture.php

MPK has a couple bigger fans tacoing slightly today. I think the blumat let out a little too much water yesterday/last night.
picture.php

And here's Chem D after transplanting her into the bed last night. Kept her covered for a couple hours before lights out, then removed it and let her soak up the big light without cover this morning. She'll do whatever she wants to do, I suppose. No worries!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

You are going to have to chop the hell out of those bigger plants while the lil one catches up! You should consider running clones to stabilize individual sizing for flower timing.
Sweet flowers yo

bs0

Starting to see the very first signs of flowers, these pics are from yesterday, day 11. Thinking of just letting them grow from here, no more training...

Chem D S1 shorty, she looks to be healthy now, just relatively tiny. Her clone is struggling in the dome, too, but I'm hopeful.

Chem 91 S1 has such glossy leaves

Chem 91 x TK I think has the most exposed bud sites. She was the stretchiest and stinkiest in veg...

Sowahh has really strong stems and gigantic fans, very resistant to the training.

Mendocino Purple Kush holding things down in the middle. I've only plucked a handful of fans since flipping, just the ones covering other plants.

Looks like all the plants now have a healthy population of worms living under the drippers! Thought I saw an egg sac the other day, but didn't snap a pic.

Peace
DM

How are these doing? That rack looked ready to explode, I'm excited to see the training start w/ so much branching. Gonna smash any of your old gpw records w/ that. It's gonna blow up!

G

[
That wilting is from the drought stress. When the plant experiences severe drought it will drink *all* the water in the big leaves killing them. This will not progress if you keep them watered.
Never heard of doing a drought late flower. What is the purpoae/theory?

I referenced a study earlier in the thread where they found that plants which were subjected to controlled drought stress vs. identical clones under no drought stress produced approx. 50% more cannabinoid content by weight when water was withheld at the start of week 7 until the petiole angles on secondary fan leaves reached 150% of their original angle at the start of the drought period. This was found to be an accurate indicator of water stress, which then triggers greater THC production. Unfortunately, this was the first run in this new room and the environment was not dialed in, so I lost a chunk of the crop to bud rot. Live and learn.

You are going to have to chop the hell out of those bigger plants while the lil one catches up! You should consider running clones to stabilize individual sizing for flower timing.
Sweet flowers yo

The big one there was the only re-run from last round. I'd been out of the scene for about 7 years before this, so starting all over from seed and looking for keepers now. Backups taken of all girls along the way.

Peace DM

G

How are these doing? That rack looked ready to explode, I'm excited to see the training start w/ so much branching. Gonna smash any of your old gpw records w/ that. It's gonna blow up!

Yesterday was day 14, the chem plants are growing legs. Especially the 91 x TK. I'm having to pull the sleeve off my carbon filter every 3-4 weeks and clean it to avoid build-up of whatever keeps blocking the air flow. The sleeve turns almost white like it's dust or something, but I think it may be residue from the humidifier since our water is slightly hard.

Chem D S1

IMG_20210404_210633__01.jpg

Chem 91 S1

IMG_20210404_210652__01.jpg

Chem 91 x TK
IMG_20210404_210712__01.jpg

Sowahh

IMG_20210404_210746.jpg

Mendocino Purple Kush

IMG_20210404_210801__01__01.jpg

Peace
DM

G

The screen has almost disappeared...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210405_211001__01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	17825375

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210405_211027__01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.7 KB ID:	17825376

Lacy Phacelia again, her flowers are very odiferous. Smell sort of reminds me of lavender a bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210405_211001__01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	17825375

Found these fun guys growing under Chem D tonight at lights-on.

Not sure what they are, but they appear to be two different strains? I'm not sure if it's good or bad they're there...good because the soil is healthy enough to support their existence, bad because maybe there's not enough air flow down there and the top of the soil is always moist. I cut some cover crop from the area to open more air flow for now.

Can't wait for week 7...MPK should be close by then. Looking back at last round, I could have taken her anytime after day 50 or so. My stash from last round is running low, but not critically at this point.

Peace
​​​​​​DM

G

Here's MPK from last round at day 51. She had all cloudy trichs at day 40-something with a few amber here and there. I'll definitely take her earlier this time to try and preserve that grape jelly smell and flavor; turned into a molasses flavor letting her go too long the first time. Bleh

​​​​​​
picture.php?albumid=84015&pictureid=2106194.jpg

picture.php?albumid=84015&pictureid=2106195.jpg

Peace
DM

bs0

Very nice! Everything looks beautiful! Sorry for spamming you a bit there, sometimes you are just hitting the bowl and start to ramble.... Thanks for pointing me back at your interesting drought info.

I've got some Karma Headbanger and Sour Diesel x Skunk #1 going from the karma stuff ATM, love using his genetics. Anyone w/ a good pheno of the old rez SD can make some dank seeds. The SD x Skunk pheno is nuts, it's a monster and the resin production has the buds almost white... I'm not sure why he did these as freebies and not sold, this pheno looks better than any of my Headbangers.

Next round I have two phenos of Mendo Purple Urkle (CSI) and a Sweets pheno (karma) to go w/ some Zowahh (SD x Zkittlez, karma). Your Mendo pix got me excited! I've never had mendo purple genetics before.

How much did they stretch on you? Mine have been a bit of a pain in veg w/ self-destructive massive fan leaves. Been taking a ton of leaves so the undergrowth can get a little light. Wondering if I have to flower them as trees to get much going.

While I'm rambling in your well done post... If you haven't pheno hunted some Zkittlez genetics I'd recommend giving it a shot. Holy cow, they didn't have stuff like this back when I was at it before... Damned pot plant that smells exactly like skittles. Always assumed they were lying / it was a blueberry type pheno hunt to get those terps but I found one pretty easily.

Wanted to share how mine is going but icmag image posting always confuses me. I put a pic in my gallery "week 6 canopy" in any case.

Last edited:
G

... I've never had mendo purple genetics before.

How much did they stretch on you?

Not much at all, but it was quite small when I flipped the lights last round. Even with the big tree this round, very little stretch going on. Probably from the Bubba in MPK.

Wanted to share how mine is going but icmag image posting always confuses me. I put a pic in my gallery "week 6 canopy" in any case.

Your zkittlez looks good! Still working through a backlog of old school stuff that I've wanted to grow for a while, but I definitely will get around to some newer strains eventually.

Peace DM

Latest posts

Latest posts