What's new

Basement Buds in Bed

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Is that what they are? I thought they looked like nematodes... Thanks for shedding some light!

Peace
DM

Nematodes would be much smaller, microscopic, although they look similar. Not sure if there are some species visible to the naked eye.

Pot worms, enchytraeids, are composters and are present in most organic soils. Their numbers can flourish in acidic conditions, like when a lot of nutrients are suddenly added. iirc I first saw them when I top dressed too much malted barley powder.

I don't think they are harmful in any way, but are possibly a sign of unbalanced medium. Their numbers and the way they congregate can be scary and disgusting.

G

Nematodes would be much smaller, microscopic, although they look similar. Not sure if there are some species visible to the naked eye.

Pot worms, enchytraeids, are composters and are present in most organic soils. Their numbers can flourish in acidic conditions, like when a lot of nutrients are suddenly added. iirc I first saw them when I top dressed too much malted barley powder.

I don't think they are harmful in any way, but are possibly a sign of unbalanced medium. Their numbers and the way they congregate can be scary and disgusting.

Great info, thanks! When I look really closely at the worm bedding, I see so many different things crawling around in there. I can also hear all the activity and movement in the bedding if it's quiet and I listen closely. It's a bit intimidating for a novice... Glad to have resources like you here!

More shots from yesterday, day 34 flower...

CSI Bubba
picture.php

picture.php

Three Queens
picture.php

Sugar Puffs
picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 35 flower

I went ahead and ordered a DabPress 4-ton bottle jack heat press. After researching more, I don't think I need the 10- or 12-ton hydraulic press since I'll probably only press 2-5g of flower at a time. It sounds like the higher pressures are only useful for larger loads based on a few posts from experienced users. Plus, I couldn't easily find a cheap pump for the hydraulic presses, and the bottle jacks are cheaper and complete! Another user recommended using two 90u cheesecloth sheets as a filter to reduce the potential of bursting under higher pressures, which I'm willing to try...along with the traditional filters for comparison.

picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush day 25 looking like the low yielder this round, but...she is my favorite smelling girl right now. Grape jelly, grape kool-aid powder, grape jolly ranchers, somewhere in there. All grape, all day!

picture.php

Sugar Puffs also has some strong grape game, and also some bubblegum in there. Just like grape Big League Chew...

picture.php

CSI Bubba I pulled some more leaves from her. The big fans' petioles pointing up creates pressure on the buds right at the main stem, and the buds look fluffy and underdeveloped right there under (above) the big petioles. I've dealt with mold before, years ago, and don't want to again...watching like a hawk!

picture.php

VG Bubba cool to see multiple sets of pistils coming out of a single bract.

picture.php

Peace
DM

Fitzera

Little worms like that creep me out...rescued a cat years back that had a tapeworm and if you don't know what happens...little pieces of worm break off and come out the anus. Nasty.

But your plants are looking awesome!!!

G

Day 36 flower

Three Queens frosting up a bit...she doesn't have much of a smell, at all.
picture.php

CSI Bubba smell has been more muted recently, definitely leafy, but super frosty.
picture.php

VG Bubba likes having her picture taken...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 37 flower

Sugar Puffs
picture.php

VG Bubba
picture.php

CSI Bubba
picture.php

picture.php

And the line-up for next run is now complete!
picture.php

Peace
DM

G

A couple leftover shots from last night...

picture.php

picture.php

And today, day 38 flower...

Sugar Puffs looks like she might spit out some foxtails towards the end. Purple finger buds would be purty...
picture.php

Three Queens not much to say about her...she's frosting up? I think?
picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush day 28, saw this cool trichome pattern on the underside of one of the top leaf fingers.

picture.php

Ordered a new (refurbished) macro lens for my Canon 4000D body, hoping it will go a long ways in improving the quality of shots I'm taking...we'll see.

Peace
DM

G

I think the Mendocino Purple Kush clone, 27 days from cut, may have started flowering due to limited root space in the Solo cup. Never had a clone root so fast... The lower leaves started yellowing a couple days ago right after I moved her up a bit closer to the light. So I mover her back down the next day, which was 2-3 days ago.

I love her mom's smell, definitely in the running for next run. If the clone doesn't work out, I'd definitely consider re-vegging the mom. Hopefully doesn't come to that, though.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Thanks bibi! I'm pleased with their progress overall...some disappointments, some surprises. Rolling with it!

Not sure if I mentioned my "long game" here, but I'm looking to find a total of 4 keepers over the next few runs. They will take up a permanent residency in the bed, leaving room to try 1 new plant every round. If I find one I like better than one of the keepers, out with the old and in with the new. But first...

Day 39 flower

Sugar Puffs I trimmed some larf from down below, maybe 8 nodes.
picture.php

VG Bubba lower branches started flopping, tied a couple of them back to the main stem. Already see a few more that need it...
picture.php

CSI Bubba due to some clawing of leaves around the developing buds below the top, I've removed a couple that were cradling a nug and increasing the risk of problems.
picture.php

picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush day 29, really wish I had a chance to veg her longer. Don't even think I'll get an oz from her...
picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Group shot from last night...

picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush day 30 straight-up Smuckers grape jelly.
picture.php

picture.php

Sugar Puffs day 40, not quite as heavy on the grape, but still strong, and definitely some bubblegum mixed in...
picture.php

Tied up the CSI Bubba clone a couple of days ago, four tops are better than one?
picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 41 flower I increased the lights-out period by 15 minutes a couple of days ago, will do 15 more every week or so until harvest. I'll also shut off the Blumats next week and begin the controlled drought after measuring secondary leaf angles in their turgid state. MPK will still get Blumat watered on-demand until she hits 49 days herself.

CSI Bubba
picture.php

Sugar Puffs
picture.php

MPK day 31
picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Checking trichs with a jewelers loupe...still mostly clear with some cloudy patches. I'm checking the bracts, specifically, I don't care about the sugar leaves.

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Are you all sick of pictures yet? :smoke out:

Three Queens I can never get good bud shots of her with the lights on. The contrast between the green leaves and white buds throws the brightness and color balance all out of whack.
picture.php

picture.php

VG Bubba I swear some of those leaves are turning black...
picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

Mattbho

Wow dope pictures!!! Couple notes from my previous experiences I don't think mycorrhizae fungi can be seen with the naked eye , but the root hairs are a very good sign that the roots are colonized . They use a dye to see it under a microscope in the labs.

Don't let the rust spots bum you out ,ya ive tried correcting. The only way I was able to curb them light was foliar feeding cal mag after flowerset . Its only the leaves closest to the intense lighting . Most cal mag have nitrogen they don't need so it was tomatoe , tomawtoe. Now I just wait until vertical growth stops before bumping to max power .I can tell it bugged ya .

Also for whatever its worth I always lose yeild when casually plucking between day 1-21 . Now I religiously defoliate day 21-25 and try my damndest not to mess with them until after the stretch.

Potworms just come and go.. I thought they were nematodes when I 1st saw them as well. I thought I read they come from fungal dominant soils but I could be totally wrong .

Nice clone roots btw , really awesome pictures and I must get me some vg bubba now .