What's new

Basement Buds in Bed

Fitzera

Thanks Fitz, moses... Maybe some dolomite lime would be in order, but not sure if I should apply that at 4 weeks flower...? I'm OK with ugly leaves this round as long as the impact on final flowers is negligible.

From that article above, "When the eggshells were ground very fine, they changed the soil pH and they added calcium to the soil.". I think I ground them up fine enough, there was dust floating up as I was shaking it onto the dirt. I wonder if dialing back the light intensity should be considered here to reduce the demand for the mineral? Just thinking out loud...

Peace
DM

It did say that but it also went on to say that the ph of that soil was at 4.9, when the soil was at 6.8ph the dissolving stopped.

Basically, all im saying is you might need something that will act faster to give quick results. But do also add in other sources such as your pulverized eggshells for the longer term.

I have been slowly working my soil mix to be higher in calcium by utilizing dank Frank's recipe. I didnt notice any deficiencies on my last run and my next run will be 100% franks recipe.

I'm not well read in all this, I wish I could give you an answer on the best product to use. Maybe calcitic lime?

Last edited:
G

I personally wouldn't use dolomite lime at this point.

I add gypsum, calcium sulphate, every run. But I'm not sure if it is fast acting enough for your problem.

Thanks again, moses...After looking around, I think I'm in agreement there. Not only would it not really help the situation right now, it could whack my pH if overdone. I plan to have 3-5 weeks of downtime between runs this time, so I'll likely amend something in at that time. For now, I'll keep chugging along, taking notes...

It did say that but it also went on to say that the ph of that soil was at 4.9, when the soil was at 6.8ph the dissolving stopped.

Basically, all im saying is you might need something that will act faster to give quick results. But do also add in other sources such as your pulverized eggshells for the longer term.

I have been slowly working my soil mix to be higher in calcium by utilizing dank Frank's recipe. I didnt notice any deficiencies on my last run and my next run will be 100% franks recipe.

I'm not well read in all this, I wish I could give you an answer on the best product to use. Maybe calcitic lime?

Agreed, and I'm close to the top-end of that beneficial pH range already. The fact that Three Queens is under center of the light (shown yesterday), and VG Bub has her tallest branches only exhibiting very minor rust spots, and both girls were being watered when I first noticed it, tells me maybe they were just thirsty and having trouble bringing up enough calcium when they're that dry? Purely speculating there, I have no idea really. There are newer leaves above the affected ones showing no signs of deficiency, not terribly worried at this point.

Day 28 flower

picture.php

I cleaned up the bottoms of those two girls today, too. Now that I have my handy lux meter, I could identify any leaves getting < 8000 lux (200 par) were candidates for clipping. My reasoning for doing this was two-fold: (1) if they don't get enough light to produce sugar, then they must be using minerals (calcium) that could otherwise be used further up the plants, and (2) the RH in the room has been creeping up and got to 61% overnight, so removing some of that water and also opening more airflow to the bed surface was a good idea, too. There's still more I could do, but small increments here, everything is still new to me.

VG Bubba

picture.php

Three Queens

picture.php

Three Queens even got in the daily update pics with some swelling on one of her side branches!

picture.php

Sugar Puffs of course

picture.php

Thanks again for the help, fellas!

Peace
DM

G

:laughing:

Day 29 flower starting to see some amber pistils on a few of the girls...

Three Queens

picture.php

VG Bubba

picture.php

CSI Bubba

picture.php

And here is a picture of that first leaf I showed with the calcium deficiency, two days later. Not much progression of symptoms, if any.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 30 flower

VG Bubba

picture.php

picture.php

Three Queens

picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush day 20, she's the same height as CSI Bubba, 27", but fewer nodes and slightly longer petioles. I'm digging her smell, too; similar to the Bubba on the back-end, but strong grape smells up front.

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

moses wellfleet

Veteran
That sugar puffs fixing to be a serious shade maker.

In the group shots what are the 2 taller plants on the left, I think the sugar puffs is in the opposite corner to those two much taller ones?

G

That sugar puffs fixing to be a serious shade maker.

In the group shots what are the 2 taller plants on the left, I think the sugar puffs is in the opposite corner to those two much taller ones?

Hey moses, the 2 taller colas on the left are both the same plant, the VG Bubba. She started stretching a week or two before I flipped to 12s (which is why I had to flip!). I didn't even top her, just one of her side branches got super aggro towards the center of the light. And you are correct, Sugar Puffs is in the corner opposite VG Bubba, not pictured in the latest group shot.

Your VG Bubba looks like the one I had that I liked the most. Excellent flowers!

Nice grow!

Thanks Lester, she's definitely the most visibly sugar-coated of the bunch, and a yielder for sure! If I were to end up running her again, I'd flower her much earlier (she went 53 days veg from seed), and/or throw a screen on top of her. I'm in it for the flavors and effects, so won't know who (if any) I'm keeping until the end.

Here's her two tops again from yesterday...

picture.php

I'd like to pop some seeds for the next round soon, but it's hard to know how many I can run before the current round is finished. I have a few things I need to finish up with the room construction, too, so I'll probably have the main room shut down for maybe 3-5 weeks after this first round is done. That'll give me time to pick any winners and figure out a game plan for next round.

Peace
DM

G

Day 32 flower (1/2)
Little birdie told me I have a package arriving tomorrow :blowbubbles:

CSI Bubba I could photograph her all day... I'm a little concerned about circulation with her. I've pulled off some lower fans and trying to encourage the (very) tight branching outwards a bit. A couple of the lower buds were cramped together, so I pulled them apart to get more sunshine and air flow in there. She's right in front of one of the passive intakes, but keeping a closer eye on her.

So hard to pick just one photo, thinking about getting a macro lens and working on some layering...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

G

Day 33 flower

picture.php

Sugar Puffs seeing some lateral growth on a couple of tops.
picture.php

VG Bubba
picture.php

CSI Bubba
picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush day 23, can't get enough of her smell, so much grape...you can barely see her in the group shot above, she's just under the dangling white thermo-hygrometer.
picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Can't resist taking some lights-off pics...that Sugar Puffs in the right corner looks like a donk compared to all the other golfball-type buds around the bed.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I took another big fan off CSI Bubba tonight, as one of only two side branches was growing up into it...

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 34 flower

I took one of the big fans off Mendocino Purple Kush from down below...it was only getting 30 PAR and congesting with other leaves nearby.

picture.php

CSI Bubba shining

picture.php

picture.php

Sugar Puffs

picture.php

picture.php

Was looking at the dabpress 10-ton driptech rosin press today...didn't realize how much more research I need to do in that area. Thinking about doing the 37 micron filters and the 2x4 rectangular pre press. Also ordered some PEG 400 to try my hand at some homemade vape juice. Curious if anyone reading this has had any success down this path?

Peace
DM

G

Day 34 flower cont...

A warning to anyone getting ready to eat a meal...look away.

picture.php

No really, LOOK AWAY NOW!

Hmmm...what's this inside the worm bin?
picture.php

Mycelium?
picture.php

Oh! It's our nematode friends feasting on some of the, we'll call them "less productive", members of the worm society. EDIT: potworms, apparently... Thanks moses!
picture.php

Speaking of society, there are definitely some other worms in there co-habitating with the African Nightcrawlers. Is this a Red Wiggler? There's bunches of 'em in there... Also found an old brussel sprout about 4" down with good roots coming out.
picture.php

Peace
DM

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts