What's new

Banjo's 250w NGB Style Hashberry Automated Drip Air-Pot Grow

MushWeed

Staggering the harvest is great.

I see your Caliber. Do you plan on trying to jar up any of this harvest for a longer cure?
I imagine you won't be able to, you'll be having too much fun smoking it. :)

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Just got finished reading the entire journal Banjo. I'm proud of ya! You've got the hang of things and understand that it's about patience and trial and error. The plants took a few hits but seem to have turned around nicely. Learn from your mistakes and keep reading, reading, reading and your next grow will be even better! Taking a seat.

:joint:

Work2much

Nice personal stash BB, good job to see it through.

Have you ever thought about trying coco? Its improved my garden over soil by a wide margin.

B

banjobrain

Updates!

Updates!

After being offline for a month or so, I am pleased to be reporting that reveg has gone well. So, to get everyone up to speed, I suppose I should get my mind right, relax with some White Widow x Big Bud and some dunkin' donuts coffee. One moment please... :smoke:

Much better! Due to a vacation (the harvest couldn't have come at a better time!), my work schedule and life, I have not been able to post on here as I would have liked. I know, I know...tsk, tsk. However, in my spare time, it is safe to say that since the first cut, I have been pleasantly inebriated during my "off" hours. Thank God I travel for work and my job has kept me very busy lately! If I wasn't traveling I'd have smoked myself stupid(er) over the last month! :tiphat:

Alright, I'll make my best attempt to describe the final product here. Below, you'll see a photo that gives a better idea of what all the plants looked like at harvest (With the exeption of the Hashberry that's already been cut). For those of you who are reading this for the first time, I grew 2 Hashberry and 2 White Widow x Big Bud plants from seed. It is a soil grow, utilizing potting soil mix and GH FloraNova nutes. They are planted in 1 gal Air-Pots and were watered via an Oasis gravity fed drip irrigation system.

The photo below was taken right around harvest time. The plan was to have a staggered harvest by taking one of each variety early and followup by taking the remaining later. In theory and in my mind, in one grow, I could have two strains and 4 different effects from the smoke. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...it sounds great on paper, but reality is a different animal. However, to a certain extent, I was able to do this - but not quite.

I harvested one of the Hashberry plants early. The photo above is what I ended up with after taking off the fruits of my labor. The other three plants will be sitting for a few more days before the final chop. The White Widows seems just a little bit behind the Hashberry. Here is is what I ended up with after chopping one of the two Hashberry plants at Day 54, which would be about 1/4 of my total yield:

The Hashberry had little to no smell at the time of cutting. The trim was a magnificent experience. There really is nothing like sitting at your kitchen table, getting zooted and trimming your freshly chopped girls. Because there was no real smell, I just hung them on a hanger with clothespins and let them dry in the closet with a small fan to circulate the air.

After doing some more research on how to store/cure the bud, I read up on some various methods and decided that I would cure most of the bud in mason jars using the Caliber III hydrometer and this guide here. This tutorial was very helpful and the bud that was stored and cured utilizing this method is exceptional. It has even improved while curing. More on that later. At any rate, blah blah blah...Over the course of the next couple of days, I also posted a thread about how to read your trichs and if I'm ready for harvest. Of course, people reply back and I realize that my plants are very ready and that some may be over - ripe! Yikes! I start freaking out like newbies do and I get ready for an emergency cutting session late in the evening! This would have put me at day 57 for both of the Hashberry and White Widow x Big Bud.

After getting all that done, I ended up with 2 varieties and three kinds of smoke:
  • Hashberry (Early)
  • White Widow x Big Bud
  • Hashberry (Late)

Overall, the Hashberry did not yield as heavily as White Widow x Big Bud, but the quality of the buds were better, in my opinion. The Hashberry buds were a little denser and earthier in color. Not any real smell or anything with the Hashberry. As the Hashberry dried, I got the typical newbie "hay" smell. That went away with time, but there is no pungency to the bud. It smells like dried flowers.

The White Widow x Big Bud yielded more and is more visually appealing. It's colas grew bigger, perhaps of its different training than that of the Hashberry. The Hashberry was trained to 5 leads LST style, while the White Widow started late and only had 1 main lead, which was trained to grow around the outside of the pot. This maid lead ad lots of branches growing off this main lead. It appears this was more effective. This has a great smell. Not sure how to classify it, but it certainly has a bit more "tang" than the Hashberry!

At any rate, I harvested my grow, put the plants under CFLs on a 24/7 light schedule and I did my best to let my buds ripen for a couple days before going on vacation in early June. It wasn't the ideal amount of time for a cure, but it sure was nice to be able to show up with a few jars of hippie moonshine! So, during this time, my babies are back under light and hooked up to the Oasis drip system. I'll be leaving them alone for a while - but so far, this is when I've had the best experiences with my grow!!!

I took all of the reefer with me on vacation like a dumb ass, but at least I was able to keep up with burping the jars on a regular basis. I made my best attempts to maintain the relative humidity within the jars at 65-70%. However, it's never a good idea to travel with several mason jars full o' fresh bud. Let us never become too complacent, as we must remember that this is still illegal!

After returning home from vacation on June 10, I decided to bag a little bit of the Hashberry in a ziploc bag. At the time it went in the bag, it was about 70% relative humidity in a jar. During this time, I had been reading about different cure methods, and I liked the mason jar idea the best. I also read somewhere that a guy uses plain ol' ziploc freezer bags to cure his dried pot. He mentioned that the gas exchange through the plastic was just enough and he found that he had the same results as the mason jar, without the fuss of burping jars and keeping an eye on it.

So, that's what I did! I figured I'd take some of the Hashberry and try it. I tossed some of it in and threw it in the cupboard and forgot about it...Until a few days ago. I grabbed the bag so I could give a friend a gift and pow - I was hit with a smell that wasn't so good...mold.

Whatever happened, I must have missed it. I pulled some out of there a few days prior and didn't notice a thing! I believe I gave my friend some right at the beginning stages - this is disappointing because there wasn't much we were going to do with it other than throw it away. I'll chalk it up as a learning experience.

Now, my Hashberry supply is kind of limited. Both of each strain are only jar curing right now. The White Widow x Big Bud has been consistent in the jar at 64% humidity. The Hashberry has been a little higher, but after a good burp, it is holding steady at 61%. The WW x BB has become the "standard" smoke because that's what I have the most of. In addition, I am still functional after smoking it.

The Hashberry is a more relaxing type of buzz. I like it at night when I'm winding down from a busy day - The Hashberry that was chopped early is a good daytime smoke. Certainly more of a body buzz, but it is still kind of "heavy."

Today is July 4! Happy Independence day! Where does that leave us in the scope of the grow? Well, I think I'm going to start a newer thread about this, but let's just say that the reveg is going well. It's going well enough that I had to start thinking about how I was going to clone my plants...After dealing with the power outage last week, I realized that I wanted something a little forgiving, yet reliable. The bubble cloner seems nice, but I wanted something easier. After researching my options, I decided to use Pontiac's Wick Cloner as a guide for mine. I got supplies that I needed and went to work building the cloner.

I'll keep my cloner and reveg news to the new thread. Long story short (well, not really) - I had taken 12 clones last Sunday and left alone all week - I should have left them alone, but I haaaaaad to fuck with them!!!! Most of them are doing fine, though.

As far as the plants themselves are concerned, one of the WW x BB plants seems to be a more vigorous grower. Likewise, one of the Hashberry plants seems to doing better than the other one. The plan is to grow out several clones and perform this next grow in a Sea of Green (SOG) method. I have learned much this first grow and am looking forward to the next one.

I will be making the best selection of the plants and taking many clones of those plants. Three clones will be placed in each pot in a triangle pattern near the edge of the pot. The pots are 6" 1 gal Air-Pots. This would put the plants at about 4 1/2" centers. This would allow 12 plants in 4 pots. Each pot would have the ability to be moved and shifted and there would also be extra room for clones, etc.

The best looking clones from each selected plant of the two strains will be chosen to act as the mother plant from this point forward. Each will be trained up and kept as a bonsai mom. I will be using the guide here for my reference. I really like this one and think it is a great reference.

I will also be making some improvements to my cab - really utilize the cool tube idea and try to make this thing run alot cooler! It's a few months before summer ends!

Please check out my continued thread here (to be inserted at a later date!)

Easy Banjo

Good to see you back with some quality smoke :) Impressed with the sound of the re veg gonna keep an eye on that one.
Shame about the mold, I got mold on my plants a few grows ago days before I was gonna chop; lost good couple of oz to that just coz i forgot to put the extractor on - these things happen and we learn and move on and don't do it again we hope lol.

I think the longer the "a good cure" the more taste you get....if only I could keep it that long lol.

Me, i got two ladies 68 days 12/12 one is being flushed gonna come down in about a week the other still got a good few weeks to go.

Glad you enjoyed the trim, first few are fun lol, hope you kept that trim I`m just toking on some bubble I made - happy days.

Happy smoking and growing bud