What's new

Avoiding Root Aphids in recycled organic soil!

moses wellfleet

Veteran
If you are not careful Recycled soil can be colonized by root aphids. What can we do to keep them away?

I will be inoculating my medium with the entomopathogenic nematode steinerama feltiae I have never used these before, but I have seen them mentioned in the many root aphid threads here on icmag. Failing that I intend to try the parasitic fungus beauvaria bassiana, which I have used before to control fungus gnats, with some success.

Depending on the results I will update the biological control index and the IPM thread! Any suggestions from other organic mechanics, please post?

Last edited:

Granger2

Veteran
Beauvaria works. You could also amend your soil as it goes into storage with Met 52. Mfgr claims good at least for a year if in always moist medium. OGBioWar contains both of these fungi. Good luck. Keep us informed. -granger
Get Met 52: Green Mountain Harvest [email protected]
Fresh Product, good service

Don't buy it from Rogue Farmer. Much higher price, told me they were getting fresh product, sent product with expiration date 1 month away.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Beauvaria works. You could also amend your soil as it goes into storage with Met 52. Mfgr claims good at least for a year if in always moist medium. OGBioWar contains both of these fungi. Good luck. Keep us informed. -granger

Don't buy it from Rogue Farmer. Much higher price, told me they were getting fresh product, sent product with expiration date 1 month away.

Ok. Thanx Granger. I heard mostly good things about OG bio war.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
would neem meal kill them?. i find it a great fertilizer and i never get any gnats these days.

never had root aphids on cannabis roots, but then i tend not to add other plant matter like dandelions to my pots because root aphids love those fleshy roots and its easy to infect your soil.

VG

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yes there is talk of neem oil killing them, and while I was using neem as a soil drench they never multiplied out of control. But then I became worried about the neem oil harming the microbial life in the soil. I have seen MM mention this as a concern too!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes there is talk of neem oil killing them, and while I was using neem as a soil drench they never multiplied out of control. But then I became worried about the neem oil harming the microbial life in the soil. I have seen MM mention this as a concern too!

im talking more about neem seed meal, very worthwhile to try an get hold of some!

Is Met 52 Organic? The liquid says it has petroleum distillates.

Were you talking about the met 52 product on rice?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran

he did not suggest neem oil he suggested neem meal

CC suggested neem mead. It has more benefits and is used as an amendment

If I amend with it I do not ha issues with majority of pest. Some pests like whiteflys it has no effect

moses wellfleet

Veteran
he did not suggest neem oil he suggested neem meal

CC suggested neem mead. It has more benefits and is used as an amendment

If I amend with it I do not ha issues with majority of pest. Some pests like whiteflys it has no effect

ATM I don't have a source of neem meal. So you think it will be safer for the microbes, than the oil?

Granger2

Veteran
Photo,
Yes the Met 52 on rice. It's labeled for food crops in the U.S. and U.K. and elsewhere. Not systemic. I consider it safe, but use goggles, gloves, mask, sleeves, then wash clothes and shower. I mix it with a small amount of MOIST coco outdoors, standing upwind. The moisture tames the dust [spores]. Then I can mix the concentrate with the rest of the [moist] medium.

IOW don't breath the dust. Just good practice. Good luck. -granger

Granger2

Veteran
Moses,
Here's one source for Neem Meal. There are others.
http://www.kisorganics.com/?s=neem&post_type=product

If ordering other products, call them to discuss combining to get best shipping price.

Neem Meal or Cake is more of a preventive. If you are infested you'll need to kill them way back, then use Neem Cake to repel them. Keep in mind that you'll probably want to compensate for the N in the Neem Meal. The N-P-K varies, it's about 5-2-1. Good luck. -granger

Scrappy4

Veteran
I would think gnatrol would work, as it's a larva-cide. It is a powdered bacteria (bti) that you add to water and drench feed.

Granger2

Veteran
BTi has no effect on RA's. Possibly on larvae, but the primary way RA's multiply is thru adults giving live birth to adults who are already pregnant with live adults who will be pregnant when born. Crazy, right? -granger

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
If your in Europe, investigate the entomopathogen fungi Verticillium lecanii--my buddy Ray Cloyd told me it can be more affordable (cheaper) than the fungi Beauveria bassiana (think Botanigard...or the organic version--Mycotrol O). I could not find a source in USA when I had root aphids many, many years ago--so I went with the pricey Botanigard.

Sterilizing the soil (not chemical sterilant--heat), which I tried and it will kill all soil critters and eggs, but the microherd will also be dead too. So for organic solution, I sterilized my aggregates and went with the pricy entomopathogen fungi Botanigard for soil drenches. Botanigard worked like a champ...but required multiple application$. Eventually, I went to the dark side and selected a synthetic that caused little to no harm to the microherd--and got rid of the bastards, once and for all...and to this day I remain Root Aphid free.

Unfortunately to remain 100% organic with recycled soil could mean...the cost to eradicate root aphids might outweigh the cost of starting fresh. Something to pencil out.

Good luck!

BTW--link to a Verticillium lecanii info sheet http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/mbcn/kyf612.html

Last edited:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
If your in Europe, investigate the entomopathogen fungi Verticillium lecanii--my buddy Ray Cloyd told me it can be more affordable (cheaper) than the fungi Beauveria bassiana (think Botanigard...or the organic version--Mycotrol O). I could not find a source in USA when I had root aphids many, many years ago--so I went with the pricey Botanigard.

Sterilizing the soil (not chemical sterilant--heat), which I tried and it will kill all soil critters and eggs, but the microherd will also be dead too. So for organic solution, I sterilized my aggregates and went with the pricy entomopathogen fungi Botanigard for soil drenches. Botanigard worked like a champ...but required multiple application$. Eventually, I went to the dark side and selected a synthetic that caused little to no harm to the microherd--and got rid of the bastards, once and for all...and to this day I remain Root Aphid free.

Unfortunately to remain 100% organic with recycled soil could mean...the cost to eradicate root aphids might outweigh the cost of starting fresh. Something to pencil out.

Good luck!

BTW--link to a Verticillium lecanii info sheet http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/mbcn/kyf612.html

Yes thank you for the reminder re verticillium lecanii:tiphat:

I have heard of it but never used it before!

My go to bio control lady tells me that all these different critters work best as team players!

Last edited:

Granger2

Veteran
After baking, why not just re-inoculate with EWC ACT and something like Great White? And use the Botanigard. Good luck. -granger

Latest posts

Latest posts