What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

are you watching the olympics?

Echoes

So far I've only watched the opening ceremony and some of the female gymnastic qualification round. I'm not much of a sports guy but I'll flip to it from time to time.

A few of my friends make me laugh by saying they are "boycotting the Olympics." I find it pretty funny because what good are they really doing? They aren't purchasing anything from the Olympics or paying for it in the first place so what are they really denying the Chinese other than a few less people watching it? They sure as hell aren't going to get any policies or laws changed either. It does no good to "boycott" it by not watching it. You're basically just missing some of the best sport competition and missing out on seeing the USA take down some medals.

W

Wunderkind

Echoes said:
So far I've only watched the opening ceremony and some of the female gymnastic qualification round. I'm not much of a sports guy but I'll flip to it from time to time.

A few of my friends make me laugh by saying they are "boycotting the Olympics." I find it pretty funny because what good are they really doing? They aren't purchasing anything from the Olympics or paying for it in the first place so what are they really denying the Chinese other than a few less people watching it? They sure as hell aren't going to get any policies or laws changed either. It does no good to "boycott" it by not watching it. You're basically just missing some of the best sport competition and missing out on seeing the USA take down some medals....
....and world records.

Last edited:

BonsaiBud

Bump.
I guess it was that earthquake that changed my mind about China. The US sure isn't perfect.
I totally dig the roof on the aquatic center. Someday I'd like to have a greenhouse with a roof like that.

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The opening ceremony was not quite what it appeared to be, the chinese used special effects to make the tv footage better that the reality i.e the fireworks.
Peace

Tumblepop

I'm not american but, US swimming team are incredible.. Hope Phelps will win all 8 gold metal. He's the No.1!!

Perpetual Nooch

I've watched every Olympics since 76 Montreal. I like the swimming, track and field, some bicycling. Rowing is good, too.

I cheer for Canada but we don't win much. Every medal we get is great. That's why Ben Johnson still hurts. Ben deserves the gold. Lewis was juiced as well! Give the gold back to Ben!

I met Victor Davis shortly after he won a gold in 84 LA. He came into the convenience store I was working and bought a frickin pack of cigars. A short time later he was killed in a hit and run in Montreal.

BTW baseball will be dropped from the Olympics in 2012. I can't believe baseball is out while beach volleyball is in. It's ridiculous.

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
I refuse to watch the Olympics. I refuse to support the Chineese dictatorship, I refuse to be part of the violations of the humans right that's happening in China.

Remember: connivance is just another way to say guiltiness.

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Nah, I'm not watching...

It's not any sort of political statement, sports just don't interest me.

buttyrekka

chinese mens gymnastic team...they were superb today,truly awesome :jump:
we're doing great this year(athens was a right shocker :badday: )

Last edited:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
All this Chinese gynmastic talk got me in the mood for some 18 year old chinese hoes... Now I wanna go to China...

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
gramsci.antonio said:
I refuse to watch the Olympics. I refuse to support the Chineese dictatorship, I refuse to be part of the violations of the humans right that's happening in China.

Remember: connivance is just another way to say guiltiness.
bravo bro

O

o0th3d4nk0o

i really think that the Chinese have been doing "selective breeding" with their people. genetic engineering and shit

kinda like we all do with Mj.

uhuh
:joint:

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Wunderkind said:
The only thing that's kind of disappointing is Boxing. The scoring system is so weird and doesn't really make sense. I saw a dude land a wicked hook to the body and didn't receive a point for it. Then again, it's Olympic Boxing, it's more of a refined skill, if you will.

In Olympic boxing, the score/point comes from a direct punch to the face. Shots to the body, arms, side of the head, other parts of the body are usually given to "wear down" the other boxer in hopes they will drop their guard to allow a scoring punch. So you could say it's a finesse thing.
Saw the light weights today, Think it was USA v Cuba maybe..guys were quick as hell and had quite a snap to em. Didn't see who won the match tho.

Does anyone else think the male gymnastics judges are slightly favorable of the Chinese team. Their routines dont seem much more, if at all more, difficult others, and there execution isnt on either, yet their scores dont falter. Where every other team appears to be examined to the 10th degree and severly deducted for minor mistakes.

W

Wunderkind

I was thinking that while watching, but upon reflection, I don't really think so. A lot goes into the scoring, stuff that we as people who never watch gymnastics don't know or notice.

Speaking of gymnastics, Nastia Liukun might just be the hottest girl I've ever seen.