What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are you prepared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
The Handi-rifle is purely a hunting weapon, you would want to carry a repeating firearm if you anticipate a bad run in, god forbid!

NserUame

However both rounds exert the same amount of energy, around 2000 ft. lbs. It also has a fairly low velocity. Plus if you're carrying around an 8in revolver I really don't see the issue with another inch, my days of wanting to be a 'gunslinger' are over and along with it are any dreams of being a quickdraw.

Also I forgot to mention it awhile back, but Thompson Arms makes a couple of single shot pistol models similar to Handi. They even sell a conversion to turn said pistol into a rifle, as well as a plethora of interchangeable barrels.

You mentioned the .480 ruger...I know very little about this round, never shot it. However I thought it was comparable to a .44 magnum? At least velocity wise. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what does it do better than the Dirty Harry standby? They can both fire aproximately the same weight bullet (.480 has higher potential granted) at the same velocity...(I'm not good at ballistics or physics so don't laugh) which would mean they exert the same amount of energy correct? Also it's a fairly 'rare' round, in a survival situation I'd think it'd be hard to consistently scrounge up shells/slugs/dies for it if you ever ran out of your surplus.

Edit:Damnit you posted again, here I was thinking my typing was over. What I'm getting at is if I ever had to make a living off the land I would only want to deal with one caliber, one rifle, one pistol. Perhaps a shotgun would be handy, in fact I know it would (duck is damn tasty) however if I needed to pack things up and leave the homestead I won't be carrying my shotgun and rifle, too much weight along with everything else.

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
You should carry a reasonable sized Handgun and a Rifle. If I limited myself to one rifle, it would be a .22LR, although I would never limit myself to one.

Thompson center is for rich boys, I was glad to see the Handi-rifle come out, its about as good.

Berry_Coughin'

Veteran
M-4 carbine for my rifle, and a .22 target pistol for my sidearm..... I'll smack ya in the nose with that target pistol from 100 yards.....

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
As an ex-hunter, I enjoy all the gun talk, but my primary concern after housing, would be to feed the mouths around me. I am surprised that a lot of you haven't mentioned seed selection and storage. I would prefer to have a bunch of heirloom seeds that breed true, rather than a lot of the fancy hybrids that they have today that might be a genetic disappointment after several generations of growing.

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
I love this thread...makes me feel sane.

I can never talk about these things with the folks i know. They all see my as a crazy person or make silly jokes about it. I think they are too scared to take the topic seriously. Anyway..

Im hoping to buy a rural plot in southern spain in the next couple of years. I see alot of you have chosen a northern territory. Having lived in the north my whole life..i know it can get depressing. Maybe i just dont like winter. However the main reason i have chosen a warmer climate is solar energy. And the possibility to grow large oil crops (olives, jatropha etc..). Southern Spain is also a very mountainous area that to me seems like a strategical advantage. The shitty part ofcourse..is water. A well would be a gift but im also debating water from air. Dont know if it will be sufficient for growing crops tho..Crops will vary from vegetables to fruits and grains. Meat will be from rabbits and chickens. A few goats will provide the milk and cheese. Energy: Solar, Wind and Diesel generators running on vegetable oil..and a steam engine..

This has been a dream of mine for a long time..Not because the end is near..but because it makes a man feel like man! And if it can be dreamt of..it can be done!

V

vonforne

9Lives said:
I love this thread...makes me feel sane.

I can never talk about these things with the folks i know. They all see my as a crazy person or make silly jokes about it. I think they are too scared to take the topic seriously. Anyway..

Im hoping to buy a rural plot in southern spain in the next couple of years. I see alot of you have chosen a northern territory. Having lived in the north my whole life..i know it can get depressing. Maybe i just dont like winter. However the main reason i have chosen a warmer climate is solar energy. And the possibility to grow large oil crops (olives, jatropha etc..). Southern Spain is also a very mountainous area that to me seems like a strategical advantage. The shitty part ofcourse..is water. A well would be a gift but im also debating water from air. Dont know if it will be sufficient for growing crops tho..Crops will vary from vegetables to fruits and grains. Meat will be from rabbits and chickens. A few goats will provide the milk and cheese. Energy: Solar, Wind and Diesel generators running on vegetable oil..and a steam engine..

This has been a dream of mine for a long time..Not because the end is near..but because it makes a man feel like man! And if it can be dreamt of..it can be done!

Some of those topics you mentioned I have been researching. Another is building a healthy food web in the area you live in. I believe that was the idea of Robert Hart. There has been mention of food storage and things but little of food Production, energy which is the most important. Proving heat which could be produced by burning wood or dried animal poop. The wind blows like crazy in the Northwest. Wind generated power would work great. As for water what about a greenhouse type of set-up to produce a humid enviroment?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Pops said:
As an ex-hunter, I enjoy all the gun talk, but my primary concern after housing, would be to feed the mouths around me. I am surprised that a lot of you haven't mentioned seed selection and storage. I would prefer to have a bunch of heirloom seeds that breed true, rather than a lot of the fancy hybrids that they have today that might be a genetic disappointment after several generations of growing.
For my climate I like Potatoes, Fava beans(Hannibals fav!), Cabbage, and Winter squash as staple crops. A variety of other vegetables can be grown year round to round out the diet.

I really like the Fava beans because I can plant them in October, turn my back on them for the winter, water minimally in summer, and harvest a large crop in September. All and all its not much work for a lot of very storable food. The bio-mass created by the plants(the stocks) can be tilled into the ground to improve soil texture, and make great planting for Cabbage, Potatoes, and other crops.
Fava beans seem to thrive even on relatively poor soil, and often leave it way better than it was at planting.

Delicata winter squash are a great true breeding squash, and store fairly well.

I also love Cabbage, and prefer to eat it as saurkraut. If any of you have not tried homemade saurkraut, you don't know what you are missing!

Many varieties of Potatoes make great storage crops, my favorites are Red Potiacs, Yukon golds, Corollas, and Blue Vikings.

V

vonforne

Many varieties of Potatoes make great storage crops, my favorites are Red Potiacs, Yukon golds, Corollas, and Blue Vikings.
_________

Man I love potatoes. And Fava bean sprouts are a good green cover crop. The left overs are good for the next seasons soil nutrient. It is one of the "Green cover crops" used by organic gardeners.

What types of berries do good there?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Yeah, the type of Fava I grow is called "Sweet Lorane", named for the Oregon town it was developed in, it is a very good eating bean, and also makes a good cover crop, its one of the more versitile Fava varieties.

I buy many of my favorite vegetable seeds from "Territorial seeds" in Cottage grove Oregon, they have a website. Another good Northwest seed company is "Abundant life seeds", they specialize in Organicly grown heirloom seeds, I believe that is all they supply.

I don't grow berries, mostly because tons of Blackberries and Raspberries grow in very large ammounts, completely wild. I do know that Blueberries grow great here, also Marrion berries, and well.... pretty much any Raspberry or Blackberry variety.
In May I usually take a trip to the west side of the Coast range to find Salmon berries, its basicly a very large, very juicy gold-yellow Raspberry that loves the moist mild enviroments.

Last edited:

NserUame

Where I am now I can grow a variety of things, the summers short but sweet.

A variety of squash, zuccini, pumpkin, cucumbers, even got some garlic, corn, tomatoes, green beans. Nearby there's wild blackberries and blueberries, used to be some rasberry bushes but the last couple years they haven't fruited much...dissapointing as I love them. Also know the location of a few rowan trees, if you cook the berries their edible and make a good jellie. A small apple orchard is also within a short hiking distance. In a survival situation I'd throw in some potatoes and try my hand at wheat, as it is now I grow things that don't require mills....too much work. Rabbit, Turkey, Ducks, White-tail deer, black bear, moose, quail all are fairly common...in short there's a good source of food. However I'd like to move a bit further north, so such food sources would change slightly.

bunti

It is a good idea to not be dependent on firearms for survival, your brain is a much more important weapon...I suggest going out and getting lost with very few tools, this will teach self reliance.

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
BACKCOUNTRY said:
I also love Cabbage, and prefer to eat it as saurkraut. If any of you have not tried homemade saurkraut, you don't know what you are missing!

Hehe im not German but its almost like a national dish here..I eat it every other day..very good stuff!

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
bunti said:
It is a good idea to not be dependent on firearms for survival, your brain is a much more important weapon...I suggest going out and getting lost with very few tools, this will teach self reliance.
I'd advise not getting lost in the woods until you are truely ready, pick up some books on edible plants, animal traps/snares, first aid, etc, etc. Taking a survival course is also a good option

If you go out and get over your head, you could end up dead like so many a naive city slicker.

V

vonforne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunti

but the good side of weapons in that neck of the woods is......you are not ontop of the food chain....you are in it. So, being good with various types of firearms is good.

bunti

Very true that in the far north that guns are very valuable for survival but I have to say I know of people who have died from lack of survival skills and lots of guns. Yes, I agree that if your from the city then it is very important to not just go out and get lost, read a lot, practice a lot, prepare your brain for situations that are highly variable but in the end you need to get out, run around the mountains with no tools, no safety net, be self sufficient with the bare minimum...gaining knowledge in these areas can mean a thin line between life and death but nothing will prepare you better.

Be safe everyone but for god sakes have fun!

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
Makes me think about my all-time fav. book "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer. I would HIGHLY suggest this book to anyone. Kid had all the right ideas/ideals, but that wasnt enough to keep him alive in the bush.

Seriously guys read this book if you havent....whether your interested in this shit or not.
wild_cover_lg.jpg

Book Description
In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter. How McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.

Immediately after graduating from college in 1991, McCandless had roamed through the West and Southwest on a vision quest like those made by his heroes Jack London and John Muir. In the Mojave Desert he abandoned his car, stripped it of its license plates, and burned all of his cash. He would give himself a new name, Alexander Supertramp, and , unencumbered by money and belongings, he would be free to wallow in the raw, unfiltered experiences that nature presented. Craving a blank spot on the map, McCandless simply threw the maps away. Leaving behind his desperate parents and sister, he vanished into the wild.

Jon Krakauer constructs a clarifying prism through which he reassembles the disquieting facts of McCandless's short life. Admitting an interst that borders on obsession, he searches for the clues to the dries and desires that propelled McCandless. Digging deeply, he takes an inherently compelling mystery and unravels the larger riddles it holds: the profound pull of the American wilderness on our imagination; the allure of high-risk activities to young men of a certain cast of mind; the complex, charged bond between fathers and sons.

When McCandless's innocent mistakes turn out to be irreversible and fatal, he becomes the stuff of tabloid headlines and is dismissed for his naiveté, pretensions, and hubris. He is said to have had a death wish but wanting to die is a very different thing from being compelled to look over the edge. Krakauer brings McCandless's uncompromising pilgrimage out of the shadows, and the peril, adversity , and renunciation sought by this enigmatic young man are illuminated with a rare understanding--and not an ounce of sentimentality. Mesmerizing, heartbreaking, Into the Wild is a tour de force. The power and luminosity of Jon Krakauer's stoytelling blaze through every page.

Last edited:
G

^^^^
It's why I like the movie/story of Jeremieh Johnson. He went to the West to become a mountaineer. But had no idea what he was doing and would have died if another mountaineer hadn't taken him under his wing for a bit and teach him how to survive.

NOKUY

Veteran
I thought I'd add a little bit about simplifying our lives. Again just some things to think about.

I'm def. not trying to preach at all, but considering these types of things is what helps me realize what more I have to do before I can be fully self-sufficient.

1. Dispose of, give away, or sell off everything that is not useful, or anything of mere sentimental (I call this semi-mental) value such as knickknacks, souvenirs, and that dearly beloved whatchamacallit. Toss out all those things you “might be able to use someday” such as wood and metal scraps, junk, old spare parts, defunct equipment, that machine whose sole purpose for the past five years has been to keep the garage floor well greased, unfinished projects, and any unnecessary books, clothes, pots, pans, dishes, and furniture.

2. Do not buy anything you cannot afford. Do not take out any loans. Cut up all of your credit cards. Close out your checking accounts and use cash or money orders for all transactions.

3. Do not keep any animals. They only tie you down and cost you money. However, if animals are a must with you, have useful animals (just a general rule...I gotta have a dog tho)

4. Do not own a vehicle which has been deliberately designed to be impossible for you to maintain or repair. Do not own any piece of machinery which is smarter than you are.

5. Get rid of toys that you do not use nor enjoy nearly as much as you think you should. Bid adieu to such things as the motor bike you rarely ride or the exercise machine you use as an obstacle course to the couch. Even if you are actually using one now, it will become obsolete because exercise is the natural result of mountains, valleys, snow, open spaces, trees, and children. Sell the motor home and luxury liner you use two weeks out of the year—try a tent and a canoe or row boat and stay away from campgrounds.

6. Downsize your living quarters. You can waste your entire life away planning, building, cleaning, repairing, and adding on to a house. This not only makes you subject to government controls and hassles but also restricts your mobility. Put that time and effort into the enjoyment of your children, your spouse, the countryside, hunting and fishing, horseback riding, or whatever thrills you.

7. No one can deny that children complicate life but most people find them irresistible so I will not try to talk you out of having them. If, however, you are young, do not be overly eager to become a parent. If or when you have children, listen to and observe them. They are full of vital information such as where grandma is most ticklish and they are “simple” wise. They can tell you: A picnic in the woods is far superior to a fancy restaurant dinner. Mud pies are more interesting than statistics pies. Time is more precious than money. Egg tosses are more fun if the eggs are putrefied. Life is a continual exploration. Trails are for followers and conformists. Your butt is for sliding. Bees like to pop balloons. And one big black beetle in the hand is worth 20 television documentaries about insects.

8. Do not work a full-time job. If you presently have a great paying job, after simplifying your life and reducing your expenditures to a minimum’s minimum, you might want to work for a year or two saving every penny you can possibly save and then quit. When you need money, make things to sell for cash or barter; find odd jobs or seasonal contract work. If you do contract work, keep it simple. If after three months you have enough money to last the rest of the year, do not take another job simply because it is available. It is time to go play.

9. Stop trying to function within the system. Do not try to run a business unless it is something very minor and involves no government intervention (a virtual impossibility these days). Homeschool your children. Do not join a union. Do not work for the government, accept any government monies, or participate in any government programs. Once you buy into their game, you have to play by their rules which are anything but simple. If you think you stand to gain something by entering into partnership with the government, just ask any trapper what it has profited the animal who has taken the bait. Acting against one’s conscience is also a complicated, tangled web. The government acquires money through legalized extortion. But, unless you allow the government to determine your values, you probably still live by the old-fashioned adage that stealing is wrong. Therefore, do not let your greed convince you that it is okay to rob your neighbor simply because the government is holding the gun to his head.

10. Avoid clocks, radios, telephones and, most of all, television like the plague.

11. Never forget your own mortality. This will make every minute precious. You will feel the urgency of living each moment to its fullest, of enjoying your family rather than wasting time bickering, and of doing what you want to do now instead of some surrealistic time in the ethereal future. Your values will change and you will transform from a sedentary haver-observer to an active experiencer-doer.

12. Marry your best friend.

13. Stop trying to be someone else’s notion of success.

If much of this sounds painful, you have not come to terms with the fact that you do not own things, they own you. The proof of this is in the pain. However, when you discover how much more free time you have, how much more relaxed you are, how much more fun you are having, how much happier you are, how much more likeable you are...the list goes on....

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
NOKUY said:
8. Do not work a full-time job. If you presently have a great paying job, after simplifying your life and reducing your expenditures to a minimum’s minimum, you might want to work for a year or two saving every penny you can possibly save and then quit. When you need money, make things to sell for cash or barter; find odd jobs or seasonal contract work. If you do contract work, keep it simple. If after three months you have enough money to last the rest of the year, do not take another job simply because it is available. It is time to go play. ...
This is the one I am having problems with, finding a way to get what I need without being locked down to a 40 hour a week job, I'd love to start a informal home business, but I've yet to figure out a realistic product or service I can provide, besides the obvious of course.....

Any one have any ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts