What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are you prepared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOKUY

Veteran
Just some thoughts here peeps. :wave:

These are some good reasons to get prepared for any eventuality that could come down the highway in the future and a cpl. tips so that you and your family can survive it in comfort. (dont depend on the government to save ya)

Sounds like that old survivalist mumbo jumbo to some of you, but it makes more sense than ever these days for the following reasons:

1. Social Security and Medicare: They’re going to collapse. (2012 is the year I heard) If you or any member of your family are connected with them, you’ll be affected. The less you are dependent on any government program the better.

2. The economy: America is in debt up to its ears. As it continues, some economists predict foreigners may lose faith in the American dollar, pull their money out, and we’ll be in an instant Depression. If you’re near a large population center, you could be in for trouble from desperate people pouring into the countryside.

3. Terrorism: Terrorism could visit America again, possibly in the form of a biological attack which could require us to hunker down in our homes for months. A “dirty bomb” may require us to evacuate for an extended period. A chemical attack would be less severe, unless it happened right in our town.

4. Rising crime in the country: It may be down in the cities, but it’s rising in the countryside because a lot of city scumbags have moved into our neighborhoods. The farther out you live, the safer you’ll be, but there are lots of self defense measures you can take, including being properly trained in the use of a gun.

5. Inflation: It’ll probably be the government’s choice weapon to battle the coming insolvency of Social Security and Medicare, mentioned in number 1 above. If inflation reaches 21%, as it did in the Carter years, you’re going to look pretty smart with a garage full of survivalist items like a generator and a year’s worth of food and other supplies. Inflation is already affecting selected items, such as plywood which jumped by $7 a sheet a few months ago. Hard to build a home, addition, or anything else without plywood.

6. Illness: What if a deadly epidemic like the 1918 flu came back, and there is no vaccine available (Sound familiar?) to protect your family? You might have to stay home to avoid becoming contaminated with the deadly illness. Do you have enough food and supplies to do that? On a personal basis, if your breadwinner falls ill, who or what keeps the family going? If the main wood chopper falls ill, who cuts the wood for your wood stove? It’s tough having a sick family member, but it’s much tougher having it complicated by having too little food and other necessities in the house.

7. A personal economic meltdown: You personally could fall on temporary hard times with the loss of your income. Are you ready to weather such an event until you can get the income flowing again? If you’re making good money now, pay off your debt, and put some money away, either in a bank or in a drawer. (These days your drawer pays you almost as much interest as a bank.) Maybe even pay up your mortgage, if you have one, a few months in advance. That’ll also cut down on your interest payments. Stock up on food. Not only is it like having money in the bank, but it’s a good hedge against rising food prices.

8. A severe winter: No one knows where the price of oil and gas are going, so it’s a good idea to keep extra fuel on hand. I don’t keep a big tank of gas because even with a gas stabilizer added it tends to get stale. But I do keep my vehicles full of gas and I have several 5-gallon cans of Stabil-treated gas, plus oil and lubricants to take care of my chain saw and other 2-stroke implements. I also have about a three year supply of wood for my wood stoves, and backup propane heat. If there is an electric blackout I have backup propane lights in several rooms. One of the best ways to deal with a fuel shortage in a cold winter is to simply stay home with your ample supplies and enjoy the wood stove.

Preparedness is cost effective, convenient, healthy, and fun. There’s nothing like coming home from Costco with a truck load of food and supplies you’ve bought at the much cheaper bulk rate prices. I seldom run out of anything no matter what I decide is for dinner. I date everything and rotate it with the new supplies, so it is very unusual for to have to throw anything away. I’ve also got lots of frozen kale (I love kale soup...) and stored pumpkins (...and pumpkin pie) put away from this year’s garden. I want a big garden and a bunch of chickens, so I can eat lots of pesticide-free food and phytochemical-rich eggs. (I'll also have wild game again and fresh seafood when I get back to Alaska)

I haven’t even come close to covering all the reasons to practice preparedness, or all the ways you can do it and have fun doing it. Plug in your own reason. Preparedness is really a way of life, just like losing weight or staying in shape. You have to want to do it. If you just store a bunch of stuff, it’s going to eventually go bad and you’ll end up throwing it out. Look around at the uncertainties in the world, and see if practicing preparedness in some form might be a good idea for your family

Last edited:

masterlow37

Veteran
Are You Prepared

Are You Prepared

some good points being made there YUKON !

Last edited:

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
hello yukon,

what exactly have you heard will go down in 2012? can you describe what is supposed to happen?

peace

NOKUY

Veteran
PazVerdeRadical said:
hello yukon,

what exactly have you heard will go down in 2012? can you describe what is supposed to happen?

peace

I have heard that "social security" in the US will collapse then.

I dont know many specifics on it as I'm not part of it and I dont really know anyone that is.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012

http://www.levity.com/eschaton/Why2012.html

Yukon, thanks for wakin everyone up! We need to be ready for whatever may happen in the future...... These are strange times..... Gettin ready myself, but not to the extent I would like because of my position in life at the moment..... I've got a good amount of land with tillable area and a running creek, been honing my gardening skills for years..... :canabis:

If you've got the room, cows are a good investment for a steady food supply..... :D

Last edited:
G

Right on Nokuy. Its like the old fable "The grasshopper and the ant".

I'm an ant.

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
I'm doing everything I can to get my shit together.

I have started an investment group with the idea of buying 200-500 acres within the next 3-5 years and building totally independant, low-tech, low-impact housing that will last a few hundred years and is built from natural, locally harvested materials.

I have a number of business ventures I am either running (Cannabrex) or starting up to try and fund my project. I have about 6-8 interested parties and am always on the lookout for like-minded people who think the Canadian Shield is a good place to be in the future (esp those who are rich and generous...hee hee hee).

These kinds of thoughts started for me when I was 6 years old.
On the first day of grade one, I was less than enthused with the prospect of going and asked my mother why I had to go to school. She told me the usual shpiel about having to get a good education so I could get a good job etc etc...

And it hit me all at once...in about 1.8 seconds.................is that it?

Is that all I am here to do....go get a job, work, pay taxes and die?
I hid in my closet, screaming hysterically.................... and have been recovering ever since.

That early experience and the thoughts it forced into my mind led me long ago to one major decision. I have made it my life's work to provide a place for my children where they can LIVE for a living, not spend their time dying a slow death working their lives away making some scumbag donkeyhonking nutsack in a suit richer than he ever needs to be.

Because I truely believe that the only way to free humanity from the malignant, exploitative profit-based paradigm we have been following for the last 5000 years is to make people who live differently, and value a life-giving as opposed to resource-hoarding lifestyle and philosophy.

Some people say having children in this fucked-up world is a crime, and we don;t need more people, blah blah blah....

I say bullshit.....we need children who value sitting in a 400 year old oak tree over a fucking video game or 'bling'. We need children who marvel at the wonders of this beautiful planet we live on, and can make the drastic lifestyle shift to low-tech, low-impact living. So have kids...and provide them with the infrastructure, knowledge and skill base to be truely free of the malignancy we call industrial society.

Maybe after 15-50 generations of people who live on that paradigm we can start maturing to the point where we can use our vast and deadly technological ability responsibly and with long-term vision.

Last edited:
G

Since the depression, people (in the U.S. at least) have lost their survival skills. The impression that technology = advancement = evolving is a bit misleading in the fact that evolving means the ability to adapt. If you are dependent on technologies, governing bodies, and money then you are limited in your abilities to adapt to possible new challenges. I'm not as "successful" as I could be in society but I know I can survive all but the impossible.

I don't care what anyone says; A gas mask makes a great wall decoration. It lends a room intensity.

J.

BTW, Great thread

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The question of whether or not to be located near a city is important......

Should you be located near a city and possible resources..... or should you be located far away so that once the city turns to shit, the people don't come to bug you looking for land/resources......

I really do not know the answer, but if you are able to prepare adequately, way away from the city may be the answer..... But as Yukon said, being prepared is a constant activity.... Its got me thinking, thanks guys!

G

Have you guys been watching Jericho? http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/
It is about a small town in Kansas and how they cope and survive after 18 US cities get nuked. Its a pretty good representitive to how things will be in post-mushroom Amerika...altho at times it can be a bit cheesy. Worth watching tho.

I love threads like this. Its right up my alley. Its been my goal to provide for my family without going to the store for along time. Here are a few tips on getting prepaired to add to everyone one elses. This mostly pertains to the ppl that their own country land.

1-Plant fruit trees. A full variety of herbs.
2-Plant edible perrenials. I suggest atrichokes, asparigus, berries.
3-A good stock of dry goods. I have 100# each of oats, wheat, rice, and cornmeal. I have 250# of dry soybeans. All stored indoors in sealed military storage cantainers.
(Call me a fanatic if you want, cause in hard times you won't be counting my ribs.)
4-Make sure your spread is defendable from a siege. Clear brush from the edges and reinforce the walls of your firing positions with solid wood. Log homes are good for this. Have the animal pens near the house so you can protect them. Keep the garden within rifle shot. If your land is covered in lush food in hard times it might as well be Fort Knox. Everyone that is hungry will take a crack at it.
5-Guns, tools, and other non-power cord implements.
6- I think that it should be a Congressional law that every family own a pot-belly stove.
7-A good stock-pile of printed info reguarding DIY from 100 years ago. Make your own soap. Full info on herbal medicine. Stitchery, weaving, knitting, wool spinning, tanning, ect ect. I find old info in the Mother Earth news magizine and print what I need, laminate it and then add it to my ring binder. Its very thick.
8-A hand pump on your well. That way you still have water with no power. Also have blueprints set aside for a windmill...
9-An A1 first aid kit. Its hard to get the real deal but I know ppl.
10-Root cellar. This ensures your food and seed stock will stay fresh. In the winter time you can stuff it full of frozen blocks of ice which will last deep into the summer.
11-Salt. Crucial for food preservation.
12- A few cases of canning jars and a pressure cooker.
13- A fleshlight and a case of KY.

I'm done for now, my head is spinning.

treble

good points indeed. I would add that being cash rich to some degree is a good idea but remember 1 thing. Where you keep your cash is important. Check your bank accounts and see what your maximum daily withdrawl is. If it is just a few hunderd or a thousand or so per day you could quickly run into trouble.

If a run on banks occurs you will be limited in what you get out on Day 1. On Day 2 onwards you can pretty much forget about getting anything out.

Next thing to remember is that hyperinflation will eat in to your buying power pretty quickly. So it is important to have plenty of ready cash but it may be worthwhile getting some gold or something.

It will not depreciate or suffer from inflation as much. It will still be usable even if paper money is worthless. It is portable and hideable to some degree and who knows where it came from? I dont know..learn that phrase... I dont know :shrug:

I am watching the USD. I had a stack to exchange but its so weak I just use it to buy stuff and ship it. Almost all gone now. Makes gold more attractive to me as well as its pegged to the USD.

So I have some gold coming soon and plan on adding a few ounces every couple months.

Food is critical as your food supply chain is probably limited to a few market chains as most countries are. I have been putting together a pantry of staples, dried and tinned foods, grains and rice. Plenty of flour. A hand operated machine for making pasta. I have bread recipes.

I also have extra cooking gas if the mains go out. Power, water and lighting I am working on now. I am aiming for 2 - 3 months for hunkering down.

If shit turns bad I do not expect to be sitting in my city for that period of time but for at least as long as it takes for the pandemonium to pass. Even staying put is dangerous no matter how prepared you are. If you are stinking up the place with the smell of food because you prepared don't think they wont come busting down your door when they get hungry.

Then I would try and exit the city if it was still needed. Where to go is the question and I do not have the resources to establish some where else. That may change, dont know.

treb

treble

Seapebble thats excellnt info thanks. ever thought of writing a book? do you have any references you would suggest? on preparation or post rebuilding/survival skills?

treb

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
pipeline said:
If you've got the room, cows are a good investment for a steady food supply..... :D

MMMM! Yummy! I wanna eat at pipelines house! :yummy:

Heh heh heh!

But seriously, my family moved to Oregon from California bay area during the last part of the cold war because we we tired of living next to a bunch of potential targets for Nuclear bombs, also the city scum-bags were expanding out quickly(both the low-life type and the yuppy types).

I have worked hard to find suitable staple crops I can grow here, I figure I can grow more than enough Potatoes, beans and Cabbage to feed my family, with Chickens and Lamb filling out the needs for Protein. I'm actually hopping I'll be able to start work on making my own fuel one day.

Yeah, this survivalist stuff is right up my alley. I was a survivalist kook before it was cool to be one.

G

http://www.motherearthnews.com/
That is a great source for self-reliance. I have the very first issue from back in 1977 thru present day. Yep, I had the feeling the world was going to shit way back then and it seems I'm right.
Hehe, a book. Now if I give all my secrets out to everyone it'll make it that much harder to survive. Lots of ppl dying needs to happen if I and other survivalist are to live. The land can't support everyone. I am compelled to share this info with my stoner family tho. Imagine if only potheads survive? I'll vote to have chunks of hash as our currancy. ( Hey man! You smoked my dollar!)

treble

I hope that thought will keep your stomach from growling when the time comes yummybud. Remember the squirrel doesn't go hungry in the winter but the wolf certainly does.

ha.. unless he gets a nice fat squirrel.... I refer you back to seapebbles post about defending your food supply or your fat squirrel self

treb

Last edited:

NserUame

Chickens. Eggs are good for you, don't care what the health nuts say. And in harsh times a hen makes a tasty treat. Not to mention chickens are cheap, and their shit like most animals has it's uses.

bunti

It has been Armageddon tomorrow for ohhh just a few years now?...I find it better to be in the light:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts