What's new

Are these a lost cause?

After about a month of veg, it is easy to sex them. I don't know where you got that information, but I can heartily assure you it is inaccurate and not to be repeated.

My plants were eight and nine weeks from sprouting under 16/8 lighting and never showed sex. When you say "After about a month of veg", when do you start counting?

My plants were eight and nine weeks from sprouting under 16/8 lighting and never showed sex. When you say "After about a month of veg", when do you start counting?

I give seedlings about 2-3 weeks depending on strain to leave seedling stage. Once the cotlydon (baby leaves) fall off and I start seeing real 5 point serrated leaves they stop being seedlings and usually have a strong enough root system for full nutes. But, plants need to be healthy to show sex. If you have a stunted plant that's been stressed out badly it can go hermie on you let alone show sex. But when all is well I've never seen a healthy 6 week old plant not showing preflowers if it's an indica. It's totally strain dependent, but 55-65 day strains will show at 30-40 days, those sativa leaning hybrids about 6-8 weeks and the 12-14 week sativa goddesses will give you a skirt peek at 8-10 weeks. Once you see preflowers it's the plant telling you its ready for the next stage. Look at the intersection of stem and branch. If you see 2 white hairs sticking out of a pod, female. If you see some little round things looking like tiny grapes, those are balls. Treat males like joshua in jericho, throw them all from the walls down to the last babe. In fact, there is a sticky on pre flowers at the top of the new growers forum.

Last edited:
Is that too much time for them to spend in a Solo cup? Was I right about the nute problems being caused by them being in the cups too long?

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
what? Plants will show sex under 24 hours of light. Grow them until they show pre flowers and they are easily sexed. After about a month of veg, it is easy to sex them. I don't know where you got that information, but I can heartily assure you it is inaccurate and not to be repeated.

if your plants show sex under 24/0 after a month of veg, you are growing automatics, period.

try growing some Colombian Sativas under 24/0 and see if they will show sex "after about a month of veg" as you put it. You may learn something new.

if your plants show sex under 24/0 after a month of veg, you are growing automatics, period.

try growing some Colombian Sativas under 24/0 and see if they will show sex "after about a month of veg" as you put it. You may learn something new.

:laughing: Dude...I was going to be respectful. But you're an idiot. It is plainly obvious that not only are you dumb and a noob, but didn't even read the sticky at the top of the new growers forum that absolutely refutes every word coming out of your fat mouth. That's why you suck at growing. Take a look, it's in a book, the reading rainbow.

Just because I enjoy being right all the time I will upload one small picture for you, because I typically don't upload pics of illegal shit. What you see in this photo with YOUR SCREEN NAME written on paper is a 6 week old critical + mother in ocean forest. She's a replacement for another. I am currently growing critical + and barney farm critical kush. 5 dwc 5 gallon kush mommies pumping 50 clones every 2 weeks plus another 20 off critical moms in soil feeding 13k watts, 12main, 1000 mother/veg. With a gas co2 generator, running gh flora expert ebb and flow over 8 4x8 tables, 3 above 2. I currently average 1gpw. 2 36 site homemade aero clones from the diy aerocloner sticky

I have grown the most SATIVA of sativas, kali mist, and she showed sex in 10 weeks. The only auto I have ever grown was an auto blueberry that was a freebie from the attitude.

The difference between me and you....2 years ago I wasn't growing and knew nothing. Now 13k watts and 6.5 every 2 weeks like clock work in a non med or even decriminalized state. Enjoy your lesson and what I suggest you and the rest of the noobs do is use the search function for about 6 months BEFORE YOU START GROWING LIKE I DID. ENJOY!

Last edited:
Is that too much time for them to spend in a Solo cup? Was I right about the nute problems being caused by them being in the cups too long?

Yea they can't be in solo cups for too long. The cups don't drain without holes and they can become easily rootbound ina small space. Best thing is those cheap plastic square ones for like 79 cents a pop. And make sure you do LOTS OF READING. everything you need is on here if you just take the time. Every problem you can have has been had, documented, fixed and failed. You can either look like bombadil and say things that are so outrageous and with such authority it comes off as lunacy, or you can sound intelligent. It's up to you. But 2 years ago I had 2 600 batwings and 10 chronic plants in dirt. No ebb, no flow, no dwc, no mini split, no co2, no clones, no knowing lst, topping, pruning, lollipopping, aerocloning drying, curing, flushing..nothing. I didn't even know anything about strains really. I've lost hundreds of clones, fried whole trays, had lockouts, ballasts quit mid flower...All to get where I am. I got here by READING THOUSANDS OF THREADS to the point I can recite some posts. Long threads...all 150 pages of arguments, dick measuring, bad info, ad hominem insults...just to glean one shred of valuable intel. Good luck.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
:laughing: Dude...I was going to be respectful. But you're an idiot. It is plainly obvious that not only are you dumb and a noob, but didn't even read the sticky at the top of the new growers forum that absolutely refutes every word coming out of your fat mouth. That's why you suck at growing. Take a look, it's in a book, the reading rainbow.

Just because I enjoy being right all the time I will upload one small picture for you, because I typically don't upload pics of illegal shit. What you see in this photo with YOUR SCREEN NAME written on paper is a 6 week old critical + mother in ocean forest. She's a replacement for another. I am currently growing critical + and barney farm critical kush. 5 dwc 5 gallon kush mommies pumping 50 clones every 2 weeks plus another 20 off critical moms in soil feeding 13k watts, 12main, 1000 mother/veg. With a gas co2 generator, running gh flora expert ebb and flow over 8 4x8 tables, 3 above 2. I currently average 1gpw. 2 36 site homemade aero clones from the diy aerocloner sticky

I have grown the most SATIVA of sativas, kali mist, and she showed sex in 10 weeks. The only auto I have ever grown was an auto blueberry that was a freebie from the attitude.

The difference between me and you....2 years ago I wasn't growing and knew nothing. Now 13k watts and 6.5 every 2 weeks like clock work in a non med or even decriminalized state. Enjoy your lesson and what I suggest you and the rest of the noobs do is use the search function for about 6 months BEFORE YOU START GROWING LIKE I DID. ENJOY!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=56451&pictureid=1317581View Image

just wanted to quote this post so your hubris remains even if you decide to edit your non-sense if you were to wise-up, doubtful, but not impossible.

just wanted to quote this post so your hubris remains even if you decide to edit your non-sense if you were to wise-up, doubtful, but not impossible.

:moon: I don't edit unless there's a typo. But you know what you can do though? Type pre flower into the search bar and read the sticky. It proves you wrong 100 times over. The picture you were shown proves your entire premise wrong. You have 3k posts...and you think only auto flowers show see under 24/0? You're wrong. Period. Badly wrong. Drastically wrong. Wrong to the bone. Go make a post saying the only way auto......you know what? I'm going to go to advanced growers forum and post that only auto flowers show sex under 24 hours worth of light. When they are done clowning the ever loving shit out of me, I will post your comment at the end and let them know it came from someone with 3k posts fronting as a grower.

And he said from SPROUT and even earlier than I did. So Maj. Pothead, an icmag donor and mentor and member from 3 years earlier than you says you're wrong. Dumbass...

@newbie ninja be careful who you listen to. This is the bullshit that gets people in trouble. I have ample evidence...He has words.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Post that instead of the entire explanation where I go into it being strain dependant right? Suckers like you are masters of contextual lies.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4655117&postcount=19

here's the major with his 6000 posts proving you wrong. Enjoy. My photo..proves you wrong....where is your photo proving you right? I'll wait.

very poor reading comprehension on your part:

the plants won't show sex if you have them under over 16 hours of light a day... if you want them to show sex, they need to be in 12/12 for a week or two for some cultivars to show sex. edit: unless they are automatic that is.

for ever if properly taken care of and keep lighting 18/6 or 20/4

most indica dominate strains will show preflowers 3-6 wks from sprout some will need to be flowered out for sex determend. a plant from seed for me normally shows preflowers @ internode set 5-9, 3-4 wks from sprout

hence my comment on trying to sex a Colombian Sativa under 24/0 in a month LOL...

but whatever, talking to you is like talking to a brick-wall.

:tiphat:

Yea they can't be in solo cups for too long. The cups don't drain without holes and they can become easily rootbound ina small space.

I think I poked plenty of holes in the bottom of the cups. I got pretty good drainage, and I think the roots would have rotted long before if I hadn't. They were extremely root bound though. When I tossed them last night before last, I think the root ball was more root than dirt.

Would 4" pots be big enough? I think I could fit 2 per cab until they show sex.

I've done lots of reading, but I'm still confused about a lot of stuff. As you can see from the heated debate here, everyone has a different opinion about everything. Besides, I learn best by doing, then getting input when I stumble. That's why I'm trying to learn with bag seed first before buying seeds. I'm on a fixed income and this is the only medicine that works, so I need to waste as little money as possible.

I wish I'd read Benjamin's post about being able to save them before I destroyed them because my only source dried up and there won't be more free seeds once the ones I have are gone, but the posts before his about the females most likely being hermies made me decide to start over. Considering the fact that there were seeds to begin with makes me consider the possibility that they may be genetically hermies to begin with. Either that or the grower was lazy.

Huh? I stated in the original post that they were eight weeks old from when they sprouted.

Where would I find these? the only thing a search found was low wattage tubes for aquariums. I'm not interested in changing my whole lighting setup.

I wasn't talking about your plants. I meant it takes 1 week to germinate the seeds, 2 weeks to veg them. Then take 1 clone and put this clone into blooming. It takes 3 or 4 weeks for the plant to show its sex. So your mother plant will be 3+4 weeks old which is 7 weeks.

I'm not forcing you to change your setup I'm just saying that a 9500K fluorescent/cfl bulb is great for clones. You can get them almost everywhere, as long the spectrum is 9500k. And they won't use a lot of energy compared to an HID.

lol Showing sex after 30days 24/0, I think it's impossible because the plant needs less light to produce buds as with the 24/0 it won't produce any buds. You only can see the sex of the plant after it started to produce the buds. Indicas will take like 3-4 weeks and Sativas will take even longer.

Last edited:
very poor reading comprehension on your part:

hence my comment on trying to sex a Colombian Sativa under 24/0 in a month LOL...

but whatever, talking to you is like talking to a brick-wall.

:tiphat:

no, don't try and back track. You said plants under 24 hour light won't show sex unless they are auto. WRONG. Then when called on it you try and throw in Columbia sativa. Then when photos are shown....you're wrong again. Then someone is quoted...and you're wrong again. What the major is referring to, since you didn't read the thread, was a question about how long the plants will STAY IN PREFLOWER. His answer of 18-20 hours in no way has anything to do with the bullshit you spouted about strains won't show flower in 24 hour light unless they are autos. You can try and slice it all you want. And yes, talking to me is like talking to a granite mountain because you DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I've grown plenty of strains out and every single one shows sex in 4 weeks or so, if it's an indica. Like I said. You just want to parse and pretend you're right. You're not. I'm glad you thought strains only showed sex under 24 hour light if they were autos. WRONG. END of story and I don't have anything else you say. You are wrong. Period. And you know how you know you're wrong? You tried to use the longest flowering strain on earth to back your example...and you're still wrong. Again..I veg 24-0 because I can. Even the kali mist showed pre flowers and that whole took every day of 12 weeks. Stop. Thread over.

I wasn't talking about your plants. I meant it takes 1 week to germinate the seeds, 2 weeks to veg them. Then take 1 clone and put this clone into blooming. It takes 3 or 4 weeks for the plant to show its sex. So your mother plant will be 3+4 weeks old which is 7 weeks.

Yea, I got that after I posted the reply, but I didn't see a link or button to edit.

I'm not forcing you to change your setup I'm just saying that a 9500K fluorescent/cfl bulb is great for clones. You can get them almost everywhere, as long the spectrum is 9500k. And they won't use a lot of energy compared to an HID.

I searched Amazon, but didn't find any 9500k cfl's. A web search turned up some tubes for aquariums, but that's it. Do you know the color name for them (Examples 6500k = daylight, 2700K = soft white)? Maybe searching for that would give results.

I think I poked plenty of holes in the bottom of the cups. I got pretty good drainage, and I think the roots would have rotted long before if I hadn't. They were extremely root bound though. When I tossed them last night before last, I think the root ball was more root than dirt.

Would 4" pots be big enough? I think I could fit 2 per cab until they show sex.

I've done lots of reading, but I'm still confused about a lot of stuff. As you can see from the heated debate here, everyone has a different opinion about everything. Besides, I learn best by doing, then getting input when I stumble. That's why I'm trying to learn with bag seed first before buying seeds. I'm on a fixed income and this is the only medicine that works, so I need to waste as little money as possible.

I wish I'd read Benjamin's post about being able to save them before I destroyed them because my only source dried up and there won't be more free seeds once the ones I have are gone, but the posts before his about the females most likely being hermies made me decide to start over. Considering the fact that there were seeds to begin with makes me consider the possibility that they may be genetically hermies to begin with. Either that or the grower was lazy.

Just because a lazy grower let his crop get seeded it doesn't make them hermies. And I don't have an opinion. I state fact. Facts that can be researched, and empirically reproduced. I would bet the $2700 in my pocket right now against this fool if he goes and gets a "Columbia sativa" which is half the genetics of Kali mist the otherh half cambodian. How do i know its crap? I bough an entire pack of nonfeminized seeds, ran them under 24/0 and saw preflowers and sexed them in a little over 2 months. 4 males. It is a 100% verified fact that plants can be grown to sexual maturity in veg, and that has NOTHING to do with the photo period. Once someone makes an uninformed and very wrong statement, you can be pretty sure the rest of their knowledge is crap as well. That's basic shit, like asking someone what ph to stay between and they say 6.8-7.5. How much am I going to trust you after that? Dude can't post one thing that backs his statement. I posted plenty, and a simple search will prove me right across several different threads and forums if you use Google keywords. Yikes...that's why I said read. Don't even listen to me. Research it yourself you'll know who was right in a little while.

As far as lighting newbieninja, get a 600 watt adjustable ballast. I ipower has a nice cheap one with a 5 year warranty. If it dies, send it back and they will ship a new one pronto. You can dial it down to 300 watts, or have it at 450 or 600. $150 bucks.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
no, don't try and back track. You said plants under 24 hour light won't show sex unless they are auto. WRONG. Then when called on it you try and throw in Columbia sativa. Then when photos are shown....you're wrong again. Then someone is quoted...and you're wrong again. What the major is referring to, since you didn't read the thread, was a question about how long the plants will STAY IN PREFLOWER. His answer of 18-20 hours in no way has anything to do with the bullshit you spouted about strains won't show flower in 24 hour light unless they are autos. You can try and slice it all you want. And yes, talking to me is like talking to a granite mountain because you DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I've grown plenty of strains out and every single one shows sex in 4 weeks or so, if it's an indica. Like I said. You just want to parse and pretend you're right. You're not. I'm glad you thought strains only showed sex under 24 hour light if they were autos. WRONG. END of story and I don't have anything else you say. You are wrong. Period. And you know how you know you're wrong? You tried to use the longest flowering strain on earth to back your example...and you're still wrong. Again..I veg 24-0 because I can. Even the kali mist showed pre flowers and that whole took every day of 12 weeks. Stop. Thread over.

you are growing autos dude, give it up. no one will agree with you that your plants will show sex in four weeks under 24/0.

why didn't you start your thread to prove me wrong? are you afraid?

:D

and newbieninja, I told you on post #5 that you could save those plants. but whatever...

good luck

Lets say you're right. I'm not trying to bash anyone but if you're trying to determine the sex of the plant with a light cycle of 24/0 there will be more heat which is a stress factor. The fresh air in the night is colder compared to midday which means there will be a temp difference, normally this difference shouldn't be more than 8c. This is an easy way to cause stress to the plants, and everybody knows with regular seeds the more stress they get the more chance it's going to be a male plant. Thats why people always need to avoid stress for the mj plants. So if this was true it wouldn't be an effective way to do so because:

1. It costs more energy.
2. Its easy to over stress your plants which will result in a higher male-female ratio.

But what you have posted still doesn't make sense in my opinion. So once the light are on 24/0 the plant starts to make blooming hormones? If this is true then all people who veg on 24/0 would have experienced this.

And btw; plants that have been vegged under 24/0 will take a little longer to pre-flower than plants that have been vegged under 18/6.

@TS: Secret Jardin has these bulbs. T-NEON.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts