What's new

are coco nutes necessary?

this is a ? thats not going to really be answered how you ...i dont no..."want" it to be answered??.....just do what works for you is probably the best advice....

Im not looking for any answer one way or the other. just want to know if guys are getting good results using normal nutes. im not really trying to buy a new line of nutes if ive got some cal mg and it can be used instead...
anyway, thanks MMM.

i was talking with a dude on here earlier who uses just maxibloom from gh by its self with a tad of ph up, for veg and bloom and gets killer results. he says he has no cal mg issues.

D

DickDasterdly

I have used Dutch masters gold line in top feed with no problem, and Atami Organics in Hempys with no problem

G

grasspass

I'm new to coco, but after rinsing new coco, I watered the coco with Epsom salt in the water before using it , using reg hydro ferts and water on the hard side , I'm not seeing any mag deficiency. [hempy style bucket] If mag def shows up later , I'm just gonna add a little Epsom salt to the feeding.

Last edited:

spurr

Veteran
ive seen yes and no. it seems like adding additional cal mg is all thats needed , right?

Additional Calmag isn't needed if Ca is > 75 ppm (over 100 ppm is better) and Mg is over 50 ppm your all set. For example, you can use the Lucas formula in coco with excellent results, no need for extra CalMag. I have used coco and peat in the same exact fashion, I write from experience and from knowledge of soil science.

There is no need to 'charge' coco as is often claimed, the "percent base saturation" of CEC in coco is not really a concern because the CEC of coco provides low "effective CEC" (see below for info).

Here is some non-technical reading on this topic, but note it's for soil, that has much higher bulk density than coco. See what I wrote below for reasons why CEC of soil is not well related to CEC of coco (due to the very low bulk density of coco):
"Cation Exchange Capacity in Soils, Simplified"
http://www.soilminerals.com/Cation_Exchange_Simplified.htm

"Cation Exchange Capacity"
http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/support/library/ff/CEC_BpH_and_percent_sat.htm

"Cation Exchange Capacity and Percent Base Saturation"
http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/IL64.html
The claims that more CalMag is needed in coco due to CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) are false. However, if the coco isn't flushed it could have higher levels of soluble K, S and Na ions, and those could interferer with Ca but coco isn't anything special requiring special ferts. Bontanicare cocogrow is good stuff that is flushed by the manufacture before packing. So-called "coco" ferts are just an attempt for fert companies to make more money.

Also, the claim that there is an ideal Ca to Mg ratio is false, proven so for decades by soil science and plant science. I mention Ca:Mg ratio because often coco companies claim such a thing, but the truth is anywhere from 1.5 to 8 (and higher) is fine; i.e. Ca:Mg as 1:1.5 to 1:8.

Here are two posts I recently wrote on this topic from my thread "Plants self-regulate uptake of ions; they control it, not us, unless we overdo ferts" (link)

CEC is really only a concern in media with high bulk density, and in media like coco or peat CEC is a non-issue. [This relates to the quote/paper posted below by Agro and Fisher.] If one was to increase the bulk density of coco or s.peat (via. heavy compaction or adding dense organic matter like compost) then the CEC would not be a non-issue.

The cations held in CEC sites can be freed via. acidic exudates from roots (like H+ protons) and microbes, it can also be freed from interaction with other cations, and pH of soil solution.

The soil solution generally hold cations in equilibrium to cations held in CEC sites (usually once most CEC sites are filled).

Lots of people and companies that sell coco make claims about how great the CEC is, and how CEC of coco affects Ca availability to roots, neither of those claims are true to the degree the claims makers attest [again, see the paper below by Agro and Fisher]. S.peat has greater CEC than coco and peat doesn't have issues with Ca availability to roots...

If there really is an issue with Ca availability to roots in coco (which I have never noticed) than the issue is not due to CEC, it could be due to poorly flushed coco holding higher levels of P, K and S ions, which could affect availability of Ca ions. I for one do not believe there is a Ca 'issue' with coco.

The whole topic of CEC and AEC is misunderstood by companies selling products (like coco) that are thought of to have high CEC. For example, CEC of most humus/clay rich soil is around 5-20+ meq/100g, and coco has CEC around 40-60+ meq/100g and s.peat has CEC around 60-80+ meq/100g. Of all those media, it's only the soil that a grower needs to be concerned about in terms of CEC. Or coco or s.peat with intentionally increased bulk density.

The CEC of coco is not only lower than s.peat, but the bulk density of coco is less than s.peat too! Thus, the CEC of coco is a non-issue, and any company who claims otherwise needs to study up...
And:

I wanted to expand on the issue of CEC and bulk destiny for a minute because it's an important topic and many claims about efficacy of CEC in peat and coco are false. The reason is that facts about CEC functions in soil does not translate into CEC functions of peat and coco due to their low bulk density.

I agree that CEC is an important consideration in terms of cation exchange/reservoir and pH buffering, if the bulk destiny of media is above ~ 0.25 g/cm^3 to above 0.5 g/cm^3. However, if people use only coco (~ 0.10 g/cm^3) or only peat (~ 0.15 g/cm^3) than the bulk density will be low and thus the CEC won't 'do it's job'. Mixing in perlite and vermiculite doesn't increase bulk density to any worthwhile degree.

For reference, bulk density of good, humus-rich and biologically active soil (e.g. "chernozem") is ~0.5-1.25 g/cm^3; and average bulk destiny for regular soil is 1 g/cm^3 to 2 g/cm^2. Once bulk density exceeds 1.6 g/cm^3 roots can not penetrate soil well.

Considering most people here (in the synthetic fert forum) do not add organic matter (OM) with high bulk destiny to peat or coco they have low "effective CEC" (i.e. the CEC that is useful). To increase bulk density (and thus effective CEC) of peat or coco we can add OM with high bulk density or we can intentionally compress the media (but compressing isn't a good idea). For those who do not want to add OM to coco or peat addition of sand will increase the bulk destiny, but using sand is less than ideal.

Adding humus rich compost is good because it is high in CEC (from the humus and clay often found in compost) so compost helps in two ways: (1) it increases CEC and (2) it increases bulk density. Along with compost and vermicompost I add micronized aluminosilicate zeolite powder ("zar-min") to my media to also increase CEC because zeolite has some of the highest CEC one can provide; the other being humus. Adding said zeoltie is also good because it is "paramagnetic" rock powder, and increasing paramagnetism of media is a great thing to do (but out of scope of this thread).

Using good humus rich vermicompost is a good option in place of compost to increase bulk density and CEC at the same time.

Both vermicompost and compost provide lots of other benefits to media and plants besides bulk density and CEC. Of the two, fresh and humus rich vermicompost is probably the better choice (adding compost or vermicompost from 10-20% by volume is a good goal, I use 10% vol/vol)

For quick reference:
Bulk destiny:
  • soil = ~0.5-2 g/cm^3
  • s.peat = ~ 0.15 g/cm^3
  • coco = ~0.10 g/cm^3

CEC
  • soil (humus/clay rich) = ~5-20+ meq/100g
  • s.peat = ~60-80+ meq/100g
  • coco = ~40-60+ meq/100g
FWIW, here is my fert mix made after reviewing many leaf tissue assay of cannabis, and tested with peat and coco based media. Along with the info about low levels of P being ideal than claimed by cannabis book authors who don't know much about soil science and plant physiology (re: 50 ppm of P is fine, I use 40 ppm all the time, more than 50 ppm isn't needed nor helpful, esp. during pre-flowing).

The topic of why plants need much less P than most cannabis growers think is not really relevant to this thread, but suffice it to say over 50 ppm of soluble (i.e. plant bio-available) phosphate anions is unneeded and can hinder stalky plant growth. To keep phosphate anion soluble it's wise to include citric acid in your fertigation water. Ex. Fe cations will make phosphate anions insoluble; but if citric acid chelates the anions first the Fe won't make them insoluble--thus the anions won't precipitate out of solution and no longer be plant available. The greater the P (and N) the greater the plant will stretch and the greater the internodal length, esp. important for pre-flowing when people tend to boost P with bloom boosters. During pre-flowing is a time when it's best to NOT boost P, but boosting K is fine because it has little effect upon internodal length/stretch and can increase yields. IMO the efficacy of bloom boosters comes from the K, not the P.

Here is what I feed when using chems, I use this all the time for vet to harvest. There is no need to use grow and bloom ferts, as has been shown for a long time by those using the Lucas formula:

Spurr wrote:

Below is my best effort to make an ideal chem fert mix using General Hydroponics Flora series to provide cannabis with sufficient level of elements. Ideally I would drop N to around 100 ppm so using maybe 3-4 ml of GH Micro and using 2.5 ml of CalMag+ might be better but I haven't done the math for that yet. The following mix is what I have been recently testing with ACT to see how it effects the microbes; no data to report as I haven't done enough testing yet. I have tested the following mix for growing cannabis without organics and it preformed better than the Lucas formula without excess ions found in the Lucas formula (which is based upon flawed claims by Ed Rosenthall, Mel Frank, George Cervantes, et al.):

My test mix with GH Grow/Micro/Bloom at 5/5/5 ml with CalMag+ at 5 ml and ProTeKt at 2.5 ml (all per gallon; along with citric acid to keep P anions soluble):

• Total N...140 ppm
  • Nitrate N...130 ppm
  • Ammonicial N...10 ppm
  • P.....39 ppm
  • K.....155 ppm
  • Ca...126 ppm
  • Mg...46 ppm
  • S.....15 ppm
  • Fe....3.1 ppm
  • Mn...0.8 ppm
  • Si.....56 ppm
  • total PPM = 580
  • Ca:Mg ratio = 2.7
  • Nitrate N:Ammonicial N ratio = 13
FWIW, here is data from CNS17 (from bontaicre) thanks to Carl Carlson:

Carl wrote:

15 ml per gallon

• Total N - 137 ppm
  • Nitrate N - 131 ppm
  • Ammoniacal N - 6 ppm
  • P - 40 ppm
  • K - 152 ppm
  • Ca - 128 ppm
  • Mg - 23 ppm
  • S - 50 ppm
  • Mn - .22 ppm
  • Mo - .02 ppm
Hope that helps you

spurr

Veteran
Here are two other papers about CEC and bulk density of coco and coco/perlite, etc., and about bulk density. The first paper by Agro and Fisher is a must read and debunks the claims about CEC in media with low bulk desnity, etc.

1. Here is a good read about why CEC in media with low bulk density does not do what CEC in soil (high bulk density) does. Soil has the lowest CEC but most "effective CEC" out of the total CEC. This is probably the most relevant reference considering most studies and writings about CEC are about soil, which has high bulk density, not about s.peat or coco that we most often use as a base for our media.

"Understanding Plant Nutrition: Nutrient Sources: Media Cation Exchange Capacity"
By Bill Argo and Paul Fisher, February 2008
http://www.greenhousegrower.com/magazine/?storyid=47

(coir/perlite media tested amongst others)
Research has shown that the CEC of soilless media has little effect on resisting change in pH, or in supplying nutrients to the crop. Several experiments were completed at Michigan State University that tested the effect of CEC on long-term pH and nutrition management using impatiens as the test crop. The media tested ranged in buffering capacity from one considered very low (5 meq/liter, a 70 percent rockwool and 30 percent perlite mix) to one that would be considered highly buffered (76 meq/liter, a mix of 70 percent highly degraded consumer grade sphagnum peat and 30 percent perlite).

When shoot-tissue calcium was tested after four, eight, 12 or 17 weeks of growth, there was little difference between plants grown in the media with low CEC (rockwool perlite) or relatively high CEC (consumer grade peat/perlite). The media-CEC therefore did not act as a buffer to nutrient levels available for plant uptake.

2. "Soil Bulk Density - Physical Properties"
(University of Missouri)
http://soils.missouri.edu/tutorial/page10.asp

Spurr, I hardly graduated high school bro! lol cec and all that is way beyond me man.

i swear the more tech shit I think I learn, the more I fuck shit up! When I knew dick about any of the chemistry I did great! The more ive studied and learned about nute uptake and all that noise, the more i change shit, and fuck shit up.

Ive seen the results using maxibloom from gh @ 1tsp/gal and some cal mg @ 5ml/gal (with RO water) no calmg with tap, while using coco.... simple simple simple!!

ph to 5.8 and grow!!

check out the K.i.s.s. method thread. thats where i saw this technique. pics for proof too.

thanks for all your input guys! im going to be switching to coco once i use all my soil up! probably a month or so......

spurr

Veteran
hey

what I wrote means that you don't need coco ferts for coco :) KISS enough for ya? (see my first paragraph to you in my first post) Beyond that, my posts explained the 'whys', I didn't try to change how you grow. That said, inclusion of silica via. ProTeKt is a very wise move, Si is a needed element that is sadly too often left out...

What I wrote wasn't only for you, it was for anyone reading who was unaware of those facts/issues. Some people like to learn more than the very basics.

The bit about lower P being good was just a sidebar for this thread, less P than in Lucas formula and maxibloom = win. (maxibloom is pretty close to Lucas formula AFAIK)

The problem with lots of info about ferts from cannabis growers is lots of the info is wrong...

FWIW, a pH of 5.8 isn't needed, anywhere from 5.5-7 is fine, that way it's even more KISS for ya! Water pH has very little effect upon pH of media (rhziosphere and soil solution) and it's that media pH that has the greatest affect upon solubility of ions from chem ferts.

One thing I would suggset, again keeping it KISS, and saving you money, is to use citric acid to lower pH, not pH down. The reason is citric acid will chelate P (phosphate anions) so they stay available (soluble) to the plant, otherwise they can get locked up (made insoluble) pretty easily. Also, using citric acid as pH down is good for other reasons too.

see look at all this shit......this is the variety of varing answers your going to get....just fucking do what works for you.......

spurr

Veteran
see look at all this shit......this is the variety of varing answers your going to get....just fucking do what works for you.......

^^ The only problem with that is there is no personal growth of knowledge, and what about increasing the quality/growth of the herb? You can grow herb with miracle-grow, or with a mix of piss and ash (that no joke, it's true), but I wouldn't want to do so...

Within this whole thread everyone agrees one doesn't need coco specific ferts, so I don't see any variation in answers in the regard. The only variation I see is people listing the non-coco specific fets they do use, but that's merely as a means to answer the OP question. And my posts simply explain the why's.

G

Guywithoutajeep

use whatever you want, that what coco is all about

i prefer going for whats cheap, simple, and effective

D

dramamine

Spurr,

It's very interesting, the CEC info regarding coco. If the CEC of coco is, in practice, actually low due to lack of density, what causes all the Ca/Mg deficiencies that go hand in hand with (especially young) plants in coco? This deficiency is very commonplace and it's generally understood to be a result of the coco exchanging cations with the nutrient solution, leaving Ca/Mg shortages. Would you explain these deficiencies to be simply a result of the high potassium levels in coco? Is it a mystery? It sounded as if you feel that well-rinsed coco is, in practice, a neutral, inert medium. My observations tell me differently.

It's interesting, what you've presented, but it begs more questions, to be honest...

Latest posts

Latest posts