What's new

Arcata Trainwreck

yeah most important thing with tw, and ime a lot of the really branchy strains, is keeping the ph dialed in where it wants it at, tw is picky on the ph - if its off a bit you will see the branches and the stems turn totally purple overnight and the plants begin to grow reallllly lanky. Id like to give you a definite ph value but it differs in soil/hydro/aeroponics. Once you get it dialed in you will see the yield increase like crazy, ive had em pull 4g's per plant and 40g's per plant in the same SOG system just by dialing them in a bit more. They respond very well to pruning the lower branches off and leaving 2-3 nodes on the tip before flowering, resulting in a very very dense top that will be some of the densest tw you have ever seen/smoked.

Good luck with ya grow, looks like we have quite a few experienced tw growers in this thread so with this much support I would expect excellent things to come out of the grow and put a smile on ya face!
-stb

S.O.T.G.

Sweet thread here man!! I am also doing my first round with the org. TW that I got off a friend in Oregon 2years ago. Really nice plants to grow, nice and tall with rock solid buds that weigh her down nice and good! Have had them in for 5wks now and I expect to let them go for another 4minimum. Have them under a 1000watt light that really makes a difference since I'm used to 600. Give them the xtra boost they deserve!

U can check my galerie for more pics if u like and will be posting some more in the weeks to come! I would say this is one of the first TW grows here in Amsterdam but I'm sure it will be one of the best to come...probably a CC winner of the future!

Keep it clean and green,

S.O.T.G.

kovenant

Herbsman_OS --> some great info man. havent experienced any nute burn yet - but i will use that solution if it does become a problem. my plan was to shoot for harvest around day 60 of flower (havent even put them to flower yet... that will be tomorrow or friday.) i have a 30x magnifer in route that i will be using to check the trichomes with as it gets close to the end. i have 12 under 1200W (2x 600W lamps) and i hope to pull about the same. we shall see

Sauron The Blue --> i have a hydro setup. ive been pHing around 5.7 (5.6-5.8). have noticed nice growth spurts off and on, just changed out my nute solution and ran pH 5.7 RO water for the past two days - about to go into flower.
if its off a bit you will see the branches and the stems turn totally purple overnight and the plants begin to grow reallllly lanky
my ladies have had purple stems since going into veg from their clone domes. from what you mentioned it sounds like 'purple' stems is an indication of PH being a bit off. they are far from growing lanky though! i have been low stress training them in a spiral and they just keep pushing up from all directions. here is a shot from this morning:

here's one of the mom-to-be that i havent been LST'ing.

so if ive been ph'ing @ 5.7 and have purple stems... what course of action should i take?

kovenant said:
Herbsman_OS --> some great info man. havent experienced any nute burn yet - but i will use that solution if it does become a problem. my plan was to shoot for harvest around day 60 of flower (havent even put them to flower yet... that will be tomorrow or friday.) i have a 30x magnifer in route that i will be using to check the trichomes with as it gets close to the end. i have 12 under 1200W (2x 600W lamps) and i hope to pull about the same. we shall see

Sauron The Blue --> i have a hydro setup. ive been pHing around 5.7 (5.6-5.8). have noticed nice growth spurts off and on, just changed out my nute solution and ran pH 5.7 RO water for the past two days - about to go into flower.

my ladies have had purple stems since going into veg from their clone domes. from what you mentioned it sounds like 'purple' stems is an indication of PH being a bit off. they are far from growing lanky though! i have been low stress training them in a spiral and they just keep pushing up from all directions. here is a shot from this morning:

here's one of the mom-to-be that i havent been LST'ing.

so if ive been ph'ing @ 5.7 and have purple stems... what course of action should i take?

Everything I've read about Ph with regards to herb should be in approximately 6.3. I keep my Ph within the range of 6-6.5. I'm also using a hydro system and I have to constantly keep up on the Ph.

I bet you'll notice a difference when you make that adjustment to the 6.3 range. Good luck!!

--Herbsman_OS

Germanator

BKlover- I have been dissatisfied with trainwreck, yes. It was more of a dissatisaction with the taste not measuring up to the strong smell of the bud though and not with a paranoid effect. That being said I've never grown the plant until right now, and the way I call it is by growing it. Leaving it up to another gorwer is great when you can't get all the genetics you want in your garden, but I hear a lot of people on these forums complaining about strain strength etc...when they have not even grown it!

Here's to my TW being good, and living up to the current hype.

Germ :joint:

OrganicGreen

anyone else have the trainwreck CALM CUT? trying to figure out if its the arcata and how good it is

looks pretty damn exotic.. she gets it from the thai. I guess other hybrids/fake crosses wouldn't look this exotic during veg

kovenant

Everything I've read about Ph with regards to herb should be in approximately 6.3. I keep my Ph within the range of 6-6.5. I'm also using a hydro system and I have to constantly keep up on the Ph.

I bet you'll notice a difference when you make that adjustment to the 6.3 range. Good luck!!

--Herbsman_OS

Herbsman --> this is the chart i was ph'ing from:

most of the soil grows ive seen have been ph'ed in the 6s... but the local growers that grow here in hydro say high 5s. so im not sure. when i looked at my ladies yesterday (which are growing great, fast, healthy, with 'lime' green new growth) their stalks were mostly green now... only a couple of the ladies had a few purple stripes on the main stalk... seems to be going away.

not really sure i should change my ph into the 6s. also... they are going into recirculating DWC buckets this weekend (Blazeoneup's DWC bucket system) under his tutorial he lists the following ph recommendation (for hydro) as well:

Indica's
Seedlings and clones 300-400ppm 5.3-5.5 ph
early vegg 500-600ppm 5.3-5.6 ph
middle vegg 600-800ppm 5.4-5.6 ph
late vegg 800-1000ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
early flower 1000-1300ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
middle flower 1400-1600ppm 5.5-5.8 ph
late flower 1000-1100ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
ripening 300-500ppm 5.4-5.6 ph

sativa's
seedlings and clones 250-350ppm 5.3-5.5 ph
early vegg 300-500ppm 5.3-5.6 ph
middle vegg 500-700ppm 5.4-5.6 ph
late vegg 700-900ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
early flower 1000-1100ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
middle flower 1100-1300ppm 5.5-5.8 ph
late flower 800-1000ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
ripening 300-500ppm 5.4-5.6 ph

E

easyrasta

I dont think you can get rid of the purple stem
on an arcata cut trainwreck.
I believe it will turn purple no matter what.

G

BubbaKushLover said:
Has anyone else been very dissatisfied with trainwreck? A severely paranoid high?

BWAHAHAHA !!!!

I love trainwreck, but a "severely paranoid high" about nails it :laughing:

Anything more than a few hits and its nervous breakdown time.

The key is to take only one hit, stop for a few minutes, and maybe take one more.

I'm never dissatisfied though, when mindfuckery is what you want, it always delivers
:joint:

Kove- in rockwool that is too high of ph ime. Lower the ph to 5.5 to 5.7 and you will be happier with your better results, if you ever get into the mid six's you will prevent the uptake of a lot of phos and sometimes mg - depending on the plant.

The chart posted is very handy but by all means not strain dependent, some strains dont work at the ph's other flourish at.

easyrasta- i used to think that for 2 yrs or so, then i replaced my ph pen and calibration solution which was off by .8 and have never seen purple on the stems of the trainwreck sense then. Once you get rid of that purple you will be blown away by the yield that you unlock. My trainwreck was faster, better tasting, far frostier, and much denser once i took care of this prob. It grows large rock solid colas, no more dense power nugglets.

ime a quick remedy to this is a foliar feed with a diluted nutrient at around ph 6-7.

Casey Jones said:
BWAHAHAHA !!!!

I love trainwreck, but a "severely paranoid high" about nails it :laughing:

Anything more than a few hits and its nervous breakdown time.

The key is to take only one hit, stop for a few minutes, and maybe take one more.

I'm never dissatisfied though, when mindfuckery is what you want, it always delivers
:joint:

I'm glad someone else feels this way, I almost didn't make this post. Because i'm moving, I haven't been smoking. 2 full weeks of weed sobriety. So I roll back into my old college town and my friend has some full-melt AT bubble. Excellent, I think, two beers in.

After some knife hits, i'm convinced i'm dying of a heart attack. I cooled off, but when I had to drive to where I was staying (20 minutes in the country) I had another panic attack, convinced my car was going to fall apart. Every little rattle or bump had me shitting my pants.

Any bubble hash after two weeks of weed sobriety would have been intense, but Trainwreck was just too much to handle.

After freaking the fuck out all night though, I woke up thinking...gotta get me some of that!

-gwb

kovenant

Kove- in rockwool that is too high of ph ime. Lower the ph to 5.5 to 5.7 and you will be happier with your better results, if you ever get into the mid six's you will prevent the uptake of a lot of phos and sometimes mg - depending on the plant.

The chart posted is very handy but by all means not strain dependent, some strains dont work at the ph's other flourish at.

Sauron The Blue --> well, i had been flushing with un-nuted RO water @ 5.7pH for the past 4 days... getting ready to transplant to DWC buckets for flower... but still waiting on a peice needed before i can do it. so, instead of going longer than 4 days with just the pH'ed RO i mixed a new nute solution @ 750ppm and lowered the pH to 5.6 last night and ran it. they looked good this morning @ 4:30am - im at work and we will see how they do with the slightly lower pH.

as for the chart... i totally understand that it is a raw guide and that each strain varies. i posted the chart in response to this:

--Herbsman_OS
to show the lower pH for hydro.

ime a quick remedy to this is a foliar feed with a diluted nutrient at around ph 6-7.

i also did this. the foiler spray was 400ppm @ 6.3pH - gave a good medium spray down just after running the water through last night.

do you recommend always using a 6-7pH in foiler spray for trainwreck? also, do you flux your pH during different cycles for tw, or do you stay between 5.5-5.7 throughout the grow?

thnx mate. exactly what i had been looking for in the first place - someone with experience growing tw and little trade secrets such as this.

G

Green W. Bush said:
I'm glad someone else feels this way, I almost didn't make this post. Because i'm moving, I haven't been smoking. 2 full weeks of weed sobriety. So I roll back into my old college town and my friend has some full-melt AT bubble. Excellent, I think, two beers in.

After some knife hits, i'm convinced i'm dying of a heart attack. I cooled off, but when I had to drive to where I was staying (20 minutes in the country) I had another panic attack, convinced my car was going to fall apart. Every little rattle or bump had me shitting my pants.

Any bubble hash after two weeks of weed sobriety would have been intense, but Trainwreck was just too much to handle.

After freaking the fuck out all night though, I woke up thinking...gotta get me some of that!

-gwb

My wife has the same reaction. She won't smoke it at all
:laughing:

kovenant said:
Sauron The Blue --> well, i had been flushing with un-nuted RO water @ 5.7pH for the past 4 days... getting ready to transplant to DWC buckets for flower... but still waiting on a peice needed before i can do it. so, instead of going longer than 4 days with just the pH'ed RO i mixed a new nute solution @ 750ppm and lowered the pH to 5.6 last night and ran it. they looked good this morning @ 4:30am - im at work and we will see how they do with the slightly lower pH.

as for the chart... i totally understand that it is a raw guide and that each strain varies. i posted the chart in response to this:

to show the lower pH for hydro.

i also did this. the foiler spray was 400ppm @ 6.3pH - gave a good medium spray down just after running the water through last night.

do you recommend always using a 6-7pH in foiler spray for trainwreck? also, do you flux your pH during different cycles for tw, or do you stay between 5.5-5.7 throughout the grow?

thnx mate. exactly what i had been looking for in the first place - someone with experience growing tw and little trade secrets such as this.

Hey Kovenant,

I can't vouch for the way Sauron The Blue does it, but from my experience, 6.3-6.5 (+/-) has always treated my babies the way they like. If that Ph number doesn't fit with your scenario, then adjust a bit lower.

As for the Ph of foiler spray, I never check the Ph on that. Anything that goes directly to the roots, I'll check and maintain the Ph to 6.3-6.5.

I'm not braggin' or anything, but I've been growing in Hydro since Year 2000, so the information I'm suggesting to you is actual factual and I still use those Ph numbers to this day.

In any grow scenario, the Ph must be maintained. As for PPM, I don't even sweat that because if you keep your tubs filled and your Ph maintained, you won't have to even trip on PPM. Make sure you read the directions on any nutrient brand you use, and if it "disturbs" your plants, then go lower and adjust the Ph accordingly.

Ask more questions if you have them and good luck!!

--Herbsman_OS

sugabear_II

Veteran
At the danger of getting flamed I will shed some light and share my understanding of the Trainwreck origins

HILLBILLY 420 said:
Who knows the true story of the Trainwreck???

the story goes that the arcata trainwreck e-32 is a selection from a oaxoan sativa crossed with an afghani male selected by a guy named tuck.

Why do I know this... hmm well I grow a version of trainwreck sold by a small medical company in canada ... yes a seed version of trainwreck and here's where the story continues...

well tuck also back crossed the e-32 cut that is so famous to the afghani making some seeds which have been called tuck's wreck - some of these seeds found their way into breeders working with woodhorse (the small medical company) and were grown out an inbred selecting for trainwreck qualities of quick finish, lemony smell, headbanging heart pumping high, and of course extreme resin content. Stabilized it was released - and released again - I think I got the third round which must put them some where around f6 I'd guess -

So here's some pictures of that plant - not exactly the same (a bit more leafy than other shots) but the smoke is all that and a bag of corn chips + the smell is lemony, skunky, fuel, and slightly mentholated

dry bud shots - this one was taken at 49 days

at only 38 days :headbange

here's 56 days - and as you can see like some have said she looks like a trainwreck because the branches are just flopping over with bud weight

suga

Last edited:

THCzr

that's first time i've seen pics of woodhorse TW.

doest look at all like the arcata cut imo ....

hard to tell about the smoke tho, could still be similar....

THC

sugabear_II

Veteran
that's first time i've seen pics of woodhorse TW.

doest look at all like the arcata cut imo ....

hard to tell about the smoke tho, could still be similar....

THC

well THC IMO it does look alot like some of the pictures some people have posted.... such as oldpeculiar (funny he mentioned the woodhorse TW)

oldpeculiar said:
Woodhorse seeds has Trainwreck HYBRID seeds. I've heard good and bad about them. Why go for a cross when ya can get the real thing? Had to put some pipecleaners on some of the branches on mine for support already. She's about 30 days 12/12 give or take a week. Love the way she starts to take on an almost grey hue from all the resin. Just put another one in flower last week
:woohoo:

1846TrainWreck1.JPG

1846Wreckbud1.JPG

1846Wreckbud2.JPG

1846Wreckbud3.JPG

compared to the woodhorse TW

pretty similar IMO.

not trying to start an argument.... just adding a side by side - maybe the one he's growing ain't the real deal?

anyhow - all good smoke.

and I've given it to folks who have smoked the real cut in arcata and they said yes it was very much the same.

-suga

Last edited:

70s_PotHead

My Arcata TW I chopped last xmas for comparison. Still one of my faverate jars to go too.

70s :joint:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts