What's new

Apollo 11, 336W CFL DWC Rubbermaid Grow!

big bang

Third grow.. I started out with a tub based on Red Greenery's design but with this grow I upgraded to tubs that are about double the volume. Also upgraded the lights, 8 x 42w CFL bulbs = 336w total. I'm running the Lucas Formula + Cal-Mag in DWC in a 3 gallon Rubbermaid container powered by 2 50g pumps.

Plants this time are two Apollo 11 clones (on the left) and one clone from some good bagseed on the right. The plant in the pop can is a new A11 mom with some organic soil (you acn see how it doesn't grow nearly as quickly as the ones in hydro). I cloned them in peat pucks and then transplanted directly into hydro.

I've been taking a picture every day since I put them in and made an animation. First frame is rooted clones and every frame equals 24 hours. This is the first week since I put them in:
17270oneweek.gif

Doyu

Very nice animation :)

I'll be following this one, I'm impressed with the power of the CFLs!

-Doyu

G

Have you had a chance to smoke that A11 yet? Who is the breeder?

I've heard it is a nice fruity citrus smoke that has low anxiety/paranoia and won't put you to sleep, yet leaves you wonderfully stoned. Sound accurate?

big bang

I haven't smoked any yet... this A11 is from Joey Weed. I've heard lots of good things. I had a chance to sample Cinderella 99 and it's supposed to be similiar to A11 but A11 is less racy, so if that is true it should be excellent day time/creative smoke. That's what I'm hoping at least.

Bang- mannn those 11 are goin straight 2 moon! looking good my friend i 2 got a rubbermaid setup but its stricly for mother plants and clones!

can't wait 2 see some more Gif's from yah man that was cool!you should do you entire grow show like that is the moderators dont mind!

big bang

hey guys thanks for the kind words. unfortunately last week i had to go out of town unexpectedly and had to leave my girls alone for about 5 days so i couldn't take a picture to continue the animation. i had some minor problems when i got back - pH was a little out of whack and they were HUNGRY! I doubled the nute strength and they bounced back extremely fast.

this is what htey looked like yesterday (day 18):

they've all been topped and are about 13-14"! that means they've grown almost an inch every day.

i switched to flower this morning.. usually from seed i have to veg for 4-5 weeks to get them this big but not this time. tomorrow the SCROG screen goes in and after they go through their initial stretch this tub will be overflowin!

Last edited:

TBug

Plz forget you know me...Sugaree
Veteran
High bang! great job! nifty lil' set up ya got going. that tub will really fill up, cant wait :rasta:
Peace and keep em green, bugout

J

JackKerouac

Love the animation!

They look really good for being left alone for that many days!

Last edited:

b8man

Veteran
Excellent stuff BigBang

A11 is a prime daytime smoke - I envy you that you are doing it right.

Why aren't you using HPS though? Just out of curiousity.

B8

big bang

b8man said:
Excellent stuff BigBang

A11 is a prime daytime smoke - I envy you that you are doing it right.

Why aren't you using HPS though? Just out of curiousity.

B8

My first choice would have been a HPS but I have to use CFLs because of heat and noise concerns. I live in a weird building, my grow space is basically a small concrete box so there's no way to vent a lot of heat out of it efficiently (the walls are like 6" solid concrete, can't cut into that!). The space is hidden, but it's semi-open to my living area so I can't use anything louder than PC fans or it would be noticeable to visitors.

This is the first time I've grown with this many CFL's, I'm curious to see what the yield will be. Previously I was getting 1.5-2oz off one plant under 200w. This time it's 3 plants under 336w, I'm expecting at least 3-4oz but we'll see! That's the goal anyway.. anything over 2oz is more than enough smoke to last in between grows for my girlfriend and I.

G

COOL TIME LAPS!!!!!!!

Alright man,do that untill there DONE!!!
COOL SHOW OF GROWTH QUICK,like WAOOOO
UPDATE!!

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Damn, that's a lot of growth in one week. Looks great, I always wanted to try Apollo 11, I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

...man that fast growth really makes me want to grow hydro, lol. I think I just need more lights. Screw my puny cfls, I'm gonna go give those seedlings the HPS! What's the square footage in the rubbermaid? I'm interested in your watts per sq ft and what kind of temperatures you're running. That bagseed of yours is gonna take over if things keep up at this rate!

big bang

CFLs are great man. you just gotta use them right. Hydro definitely helps... no offense to people who grow in soil but I don't see the point. I can go from a 2" clone with tiny root nubs to a 12" plant ready to be flowered in a little over a week and it requires almost no maintenance or day-to-day shit. I see experienced growers on here with soil plants that take a month to get that big. i love hydro.

my rubbermaid is about 3'x2'.. my scrog screen is like 5 square feet roughly which is a good size. i counted this morning and i've got about 55-60 main bud sites so i'm excited about the yield. the screen is 90% full now, only got about one corner that's not packed with buds. i only run the lights at night now and it stays about 70-75, only a few degrees over room temperature. if i have the lights on during the day it never goes above 80.

G

I've got some ap11 in the ground now. Mine are F2's from Grimm Bros stock.They are very vigorous as well.Plants can go very fast in soil too...but hydro is consistently faster...IMO

G

I built a vegging light that is eight 42 watt cfl....336 total. It cranks too.Theres no doubt it could work for flower. How many inches below the canopy will your buds stay dense?....I like your thread and your set up..BL

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
big bang - if you make any more awesome animated shots, could you make a hi-res version? Probably wouldn't be able to post it too big on here, but there's definitely somewhere you could, i'd love to see that.

big bang

woke up this morning to one of the most beautiful things in the world, a full SCROG screen (day 11):

plants are going crazy.. the a11 on the right has branched out all the way to the other side of the screen and the bagseed on the left is growing to the a11 side.. kind of funny, they're all twisted up and i can barely tell what's what. all i know is that i have a lot of bud sites, there are little hairs fucking everywhere.

budluver - i love this strain, it's one of the most hardy plants i've ever grown. very, very vigorous growth and pretty much bullet proof to anything i could do to it. hope the smoke is as good as the growing experience!

in about a week i will cut everything below the scrog canopy when i do a reservoir change, so i don't really worry about penetration down there. i usually leave the popcorn buds to make cannabutter from, this time i'm going to pollinate a few to make seeds. buds in previous grows have been pretty dense, i get the canopy right up under the lights and then raise it as they grow. has worked well for me so far, although i'm sure it'd be denser with an HPS for better penetration. CFLs have consistently surprised me though.

bounty29 - next grow i am going to make a start-to-finish animation, can't this time because i keep having to go out of town for a few days here and there. i might try to do one of the buds filling in toward the end, that would be cool. i will definitely make a high res version (i have a canon 5D so it'll be REALLY high res!).

hazy

Veteran
hey big bang,
followed your sig link to here from another thread.
you do amazing for a small space.
better than my closet of soil grow.

Latest posts

Latest posts