What's new

Apartment Growers

Sweet Inc.

Yup, here in northern Europe one really can't go punching holes around, hardcore insulation in every wall... lest its an inner brickwall.
Moisture/mold damages will bring them inspectahs straight to u, they've instruments to measure the origination points of moisture damage.

I always chat with maintenance when they are around, and casually ask questions about the ventilation and construction of my building.
(Have a plausable explanation as to why u wanna know this stuff.)
I've found out the venting system layout and such just smoking a ciggy with the good men.

I'm on the market for a new pad now, looking for walk-in closets, concrete walls, third floor and higher, independet venting systems,
ignorant neighbours and such:D

P

PrimoVG

good point about the moisture...I didn't consider that.

where I live temperatures never go below 18 degrees C...and since I'm on one of the higher floors I keep my windows open (except those in my room), so there's always a constant breeze going through the apartment...haven't seen any moisture or condensation yet; but i'll be sure to keep an eye on that.

also, consider that there's only a little over 2kw of light in there (including fluros)...so my heat output isn't astronomical....

Sweet Inc.

There really might be no issue with moisture buildup, it's really all grow-related.
I've worked on about 10-15 construction sites that are moisture and damage fixing/renovation in Finland.
Let's say that the 60-70's weren't so hot when it comes to construction engineering in these harsh building conditions.:noway:
That way I'm kinda schooled in multi-storied building-techniques.

The buildings are constructed in such a different way in more stable weathered countries, that I really have no idea as to what the
"standards" of wall-components are in, lets say, southern u.s.a or even middle-Europe.
Maby It really is as simple as venting in to a drywall, if the air is able to exit easilly or the wall is large enough in "inside-volume" to take in the incoming air. Better be odor-filtered though! I find that smell seeps right through drywall in time.

P

PrimoVG

There really might be no issue with moisture buildup, it's really all grow-related.
I've worked on about 10-15 construction sites that are moisture and damage fixing/renovation in Finland.
Let's say that the 60-70's weren't so hot when it comes to construction engineering in these harsh building conditions.:noway:

The buildings are constructed in such a different way in more stable weathered countries, that I really have no idea as to what the
"standards" of wall-components are in, lets say, southern u.s.a or even middle-Europe.
Maby It really is as simple as venting in to a drywall, if the air is able to exit easilly or the wall is large enough in "inside-volume" to take in the incoming air. Better be odor-filtered though! I find that smell seeps right through drywall in time.

but mold does need moisture to grow, right?

theres nothing on the other side of the wall (end of the building)

also, it's an eastward facing wall; direct sunlight from morning til noon

should it be a problem, you think?

EDIT - also...what are some signs that something might be wrong?

Last edited:

LOL. Ya, you don't want your drywall becoming as stinky as your room or your plants. Good luck explaining that to anyone, nevermind the health inspector.

I'd agree though, no matter what, you're going to want to carbon scrub it, whether it's going outside, into the wall, into your home, just be safe and scrub it.

pugnacious

guns and weed do not belong together... you fuckers are retarded

I have to agree with you. Legally and morally they do not belong together. If you get busted and they find those 2 together your looking at some severe time. And if you have to use one and kill a robber to defend your grow you are still and probably even more seriously screwed. (unless no one hears the gunshot and you have a turkey cutter and trashbags.) Logically you should not mix guns and growing.

Unfortunately for a potential robber I do not have logic. :joint:

((racks mossberg and Glock 19 with 33rd mag))

To the OP.

I kept an apartment strictly for vegetative. I found a perfect apt complex that suited my needs and worked it out with some people I knew. Security wise I had no issues. Mainly because the smell was very easy to maintain and we did no editing of the apartment. We got a 48 hour notice twice out of the lease and had no problems cleaning out before they came.

Sweet Inc.

but mold does need moisture to grow, right?
theres nothing on the other side of the wall (end of the building)
also, it's an eastward facing wall; direct sunlight from morning til noon
should it be a problem, you think?
EDIT - also...what are some signs that something might be wrong?

Umm... Yea, mold appears as moisture-caused damage in buildings. Do you know if the wall is hollow inside all the way to the top?
I'm guessing there has got to be structures that will be boxing in the space wich you want to blow the air.
Moisture needs to escape somewhere, or mold will eventually appear.
I wish I had an answer, but there's just no way of knowing, and I don't wanna recommend something wich might get someone busted.

You're in a warm area, so exhausting to empty spaces is way less problematic for you than for me.
You've gotta use your best judgement on this one, your exhaust airs moisture% is a big player in this also.
Mold can go unnoticed for years in buildings... Here, that is...

I've also done construction in Africa, now that's a piece of cake compared to the multi-insulation-from-the-base-to-the-roof BS we gotta deal with here:D

dubdub

Hello everyone it's my first post!! :D but lets get strait to the point. I totaly agree to the point that most important thing about keeping the garden safe is to not show or talk about it to anyone but lets be honest. Dont you dudes realy have any friends to share your hobby with? I think that smoking and growing is alot of fun but I would not be doing it if it completely ruined my social life. In my hoods cannabis is strickly illegal and attitude towards it is mostly negative because of the propaganda but still I prefer to smoke and grow it in my apartment. Is there any difference being in prison or smoking a spliff alone in your apartment guarded by four safety locks and a tin foil hat? Get my point? :D Of course if your growing big then tin hat must be set on tight.

Great thread by the way :)

Sweet Inc.

...alone in your apartment guarded by four safety locks and a tin foil hat?

Welcome! You will soon build your own hat:muahaha:
'Tis true, growing can put one back on their social life, if the circumstances so demand. Personally the peeps that visit me are kool on the weed, so no problem... Perhaps I've been smoking too long, almost all my friens are smokers:chin:
But it really is risk management and doing all one can(sometimes to weird extents) to keep the grow from being noticed by the grumpy granny right behind your grow room wall. Apartment growing really is different from a proper, private house grow...

P

PrimoVG

Umm... Yea, mold appears as moisture-caused damage in buildings. Do you know if the wall is hollow inside all the way to the top?
I'm guessing there has got to be structures that will be boxing in the space wich you want to blow the air.
Moisture needs to escape somewhere, or mold will eventually appear.
I wish I had an answer, but there's just no way of knowing, and I don't wanna recommend something wich might get someone busted.

You're in a warm area, so exhausting to empty spaces is way less problematic for you than for me.
You've gotta use your best judgement on this one, your exhaust airs moisture% is a big player in this also.
Mold can go unnoticed for years in buildings... Here, that is...

I've also done construction in Africa, now that's a piece of cake compared to the multi-insulation-from-the-base-to-the-roof BS we gotta deal with here:D

thanks for the input sweet...I think i'll put the fan back where it was (A/C opening), just to be on the safe side....i'm not worried much about the mold, but there really is no way to know for sure...

hey secrectgarden, i have a carbon filter, but it's about 10 months old and i'm not sure if i have to replace it yet.

P

PrimoVG

Hello everyone it's my first post!! :D but lets get strait to the point. I totaly agree to the point that most important thing about keeping the garden safe is to not show or talk about it to anyone but lets be honest. Dont you dudes realy have any friends to share your hobby with? I think that smoking and growing is alot of fun but I would not be doing it if it completely ruined my social life. In my hoods cannabis is strickly illegal and attitude towards it is mostly negative because of the propaganda but still I prefer to smoke and grow it in my apartment. Is there any difference being in prison or smoking a spliff alone in your apartment guarded by four safety locks and a tin foil hat? Get my point? :D Of course if your growing big then tin hat must be set on tight.

Great thread by the way :)

hey dub, welcome.

I only supply one person (family), and he has no reason (for now) to rip me or rat...the other person that knows is my gf who lives with me...

apart from those two I have no real inclination to talk about it to anyone...because of the consequences that might bring...

IMO, if you value your friendships; don't tell 'em you grow

I dont have much of a social life cuz, besides growing, I work 40 hrs. a week...

sacrifices have been made

Sweet Inc.

Mah lord, NWestCoast! Seems u know your apartment growing!
I was conversating with my fellow neighbours just now, seems last night the coppers were around *again*. This time they had a dog, wich is kinda making me loose my cool... Just gotta hope the dogs they bring along for arrests and attacking are only trained for biting peeps asses off, not to sniff out my weed... The dogs only get drugs, bomb or corpse sniffing, or attack training, but still.
Hope that sentence made sense, I'm on my 17th beer right now...
But fuck, It's got me thinking, I've gotta get to a safer location with my shit. Be it twice as expensive, it'll be worth it.

T

TroubleGuy

Take a sack of weed and rub it all over the place. Smell permeates the plastic bag and it will be all over for the dog to smell. Next, grind up seeds and stems if you have any and throw them outside - in the grass, dirt, barkdust, parking lot - everywhere you can. Grind them up so no plants grow!

The dogs will smell it everywhere and go crazy, leaving the dog unhelpful and the handler annoyed, and you off the hook.

dont forget your dehumidfier, i got one from ebay from a store called air and water. removes ALOT of water. everybody knows dehumids are the big secret to FAT CRYSTALS too right! if u live in an apt. and dont vent, its not realy a prob, depending on size of op., but seriously dont forget the dehumidifier when doing so!

TrainMan

I knew a guy who grew for personal stash in an apartment...I don't know to much about his setup but he did say that he had enough to keep him stoned...he told me a story while back that he was out on his porch and one of his neighbors came downstairs all high/drunk looking and laughed telling dood that it smelled like ganj downstairs on doods' floor...dood not being exceptionally close with neighbors didn't say anything, just looked at him like the highass was smelling himself ... dood said it was annoying, he had chief'd a couple bowls in the living room and left the door open a little too long so the stank got out... how do you apartment growers cope with that? do you chief nugs at your place of grow show? what would you do personally if you were growing and a neighbor told you it smells like weed on your floor? Everybody knows that smoked herb smells helllava lot different than stinky plants...that would leave one paranoid I'd think

I knew a guy who grew for personal stash in an apartment...I don't know to much about his setup but he did say that he had enough to keep him stoned...he told me a story while back that he was out on his porch and one of his neighbors came downstairs all high/drunk looking and laughed telling dood that it smelled like ganj downstairs on doods' floor...dood not being exceptionally close with neighbors didn't say anything, just looked at him like the highass was smelling himself ... dood said it was annoying, he had chief'd a couple bowls in the living room and left the door open a little too long so the stank got out... how do you apartment growers cope with that? do you chief nugs at your place of grow show? what would you do personally if you were growing and a neighbor told you it smells like weed on your floor? Everybody knows that smoked herb smells helllava lot different than stinky plants...that would leave one paranoid I'd think

With apt grows, at least for me, obviously living in my apt, I do not smoke in the place of the grow show. I will vape, but no smoking. It's just a great way to attract attention, which is something you don't need. If you had been smoking and someone said the place smelled, I guess you probably just need to watch your back for a bit. If someone said it smelled like weed and you were NOT smoking, so it was clearly the plants ... you have 2 options. Go buy a huge carbon scrubber/ deal with your odor ASAP or chop your shit down. Real sketchy if outside your apt smells.

Apt grows are a sketchy business in general. You have to bring your A game EVERY day. Can't forget to turn on/off lights, filters, pumps, fans, etc. There is little to no room for error and if you fuck up you can make a helluva a mess, not only to yourself but the others living in the building.

But hey that's why all us apt growers are so gangsta ...

peace out,

-sg

P

PrimoVG

I'm pretty sure a couple of my neighbors know I smoke...but from my interaction with them i'm 99.99% sure they're clueless when it comes to my grow...

although it's very illegal where I live, the common citizen just doesn't see cannabis as something menacing...it's mainstream; popular even.

It's just a matter of double checking your security measures and staying alert.

j.guit.err

I keep my growbox inside my hollowed out dresser, and the lights are off while the office is open. I think the lighting schedule is important in case you have even the tiniest of light leaks. If you keep your shit off while the office is open, you really minimize the risk of the maintenance guy seeing light coming out of a locked box if they are in there for any reason.

I use a PC fan for cooling, and it needs to be at full power to cool my box off, but the air wooshing noise is definitely there. How do you guys deal with that noise?

jtk707

:joint:Its all about the apartment location . No neybors next to the room u grow in and youll be cool Iv grown with 4000 watts in two eperate apartments with no probs for a few years. good luck:joint: