What's new

Anything outdoors 2020

Dankwolf

lol.

I don't know about red ants, be we have the normal (for here) black ants. My cousin has a blueberry farm and when he gave me a few plants, he told me to dump a can of coke in the hole when I plant. The coke will attract ants and the ants will acidify the soil. So my question is, do red ants drop the PH significantly?

Not sure on possible ant associated ph issues ...

i have wasps and red amts in my green house every year and there is no bugs on any plants lol. Those red ants will attack the wasps if they land on one of the plants .

The pack rats , possums , coons ,deer and cyotes wont fuck with the ants or wasps .
Even my dogs stay clear .

Ready4

Veteran
I have attemeted a few gorilla grows in my life and racoons have always been my worst enamy . they love to tear plants apart for some reason.

People leave scents on plants when they plant them outdoors. The fertilizing just prior to planting or right after planting, is the wrong thing to do as it really puts out an odor that raccoons think is FOOD.
Raccoons are not tearing the plants up because they are plants, they dig plants up searching for buried food.
The key is to dig holes a week or two before planting. That way rain washes away any new smells. And 100% best to plant in the next rain storm or just before a new storm hits.

Newly disturbed dirt that does not get rained on, will bring in several pests that will dig up your plants.

PDX Dopesmoker

People leave scents on plants when they plant them outdoors. The fertilizing just prior to planting or right after planting, is the wrong thing to do as it really puts out an odor that raccoons think is FOOD.
Raccoons are not tearing the plants up because they are plants, they dig plants up searching for buried food.
The key is to dig holes a week or two before planting. That way rain washes away any new smells. And 100% best to plant in the next rain storm or just before a new storm hits.

Newly disturbed dirt that does not get rained on, will bring in several pests that will dig up your plants.

Leaving some scents around can be advantageous, piss and hair clippings will scare off creatures.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

Bingo.

I always do this. I also dig a few holes AT planting time. Even just turning over the earth will attract their attention. But I always add nutes, fish/chicken/bacon fat... whatever I can get my hands on. I

I am always tempted to add fish oil or other goodies to my sprayer and spray outside the area to make it even more appealing for them, but I'm afraid it might create a block party. lol

I got some clones yesterday.

This is the first time I've worked with clones this early in the season and the first time I've had them with roots only in rock-wool (and not already running through soil), and the first time I've had clones coming from 24h of light/florescent and not already under natural sunlight.

Do any of ya'll have any advice or tips on how to go about transitioning them to sunlight and keeping them in veg?

Here's my "plan" at the moment...

What I've done so far is placed them in some small pots with soil (maybe 3/4 of a quart in size), I kept them under a flood light outdoors last night, and today I've had them in a bucket outside (to protect them from the gnarly winds today, very windy) located in partial sun/shade.

I think I'll keep them under 24 hours of light by placing them underneath a flood light outside around sunset and then in the morning I'll move them into a location where they are receiving partial sun with a little bit of full sun each day. And I'll keep doing this until I transplant them into their bigger/final pots.

Once their roots start to expand from the rock-wool well into the soil in the small pots they're in, I then plan on transplanting them directly into their final 30gal pots.

Once they're in the 30gal pots I'm not totally sure on what I'm going to do as far as supplementing light...I'm thinking at that point I'll stop giving them light all night long and I'll either give them a few hours of light around/after sunset, or give them some light in the middle of the night for an hour or two to interrupt the dark period. Then on June 1st I'll cut out the supplemental light entirely.

Does that sound like an effective plan?.

How do ya'll go about working with baby clones outdoors early in the season?

BrownFingers

I realized I should have probably posted this question in this thread so am copying my question from another thread. I hope I'm not going around rule breaking like an outlaw here!

I'm getting antsy to put my autos out, but it's a bit too cold here yet. I am considering putting one out as a test, but first I need to figure out a way to keep the soil and seedlings warm during the night for the first week or so (temps dipping below 5c but shouldnt get frost).

How much do you reckon you can raise temperature or retain heat over night? I'm thinking black plastic, bottle mini-greenhouse, water-filled bottles around to absorb heat during day/radiate during night. It is probably a futile attempt, but worst case I just throw away a measly seed and get some experience/fun out of it.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I realized I should have probably posted this question in this thread so am copying my question from another thread. I hope I'm not going around rule breaking like an outlaw here!

I'm getting antsy to put my autos out, but it's a bit too cold here yet. I am considering putting one out as a test, but first I need to figure out a way to keep the soil and seedlings warm during the night for the first week or so (temps dipping below 5c but shouldnt get frost).

How much do you reckon you can raise temperature or retain heat over night? I'm thinking black plastic, bottle mini-greenhouse, water-filled bottles around to absorb heat during day/radiate during night. It is probably a futile attempt, but worst case I just throw away a measly seed and get some experience/fun out of it.

You could try this.
https://www.dollarama.com/en-CA/p-garden-cloche-with-metal-pegs/3037112

Why don't you transplant into a bigger pot? Some say you can't transplant Autos. I disagree. Sure, it's better to not transplant, but the alternative is to stunt your plant in a small pot. Do I have to say "do it gently"?

Put your plant in the ground and stake a black weed barrier or garden cloth around your plant. Black plastic is good, but take it off on abnormally hot days to prevent over heating the soil. That's about all you can do. You can combine this with the above Cloche.

PureSativa420

Sexing coming right along, 7 males 7 females of the 28 plants I have going in my 5x5

Weather is up and down and still no good for taking outside for atleast another 2 weeks!

Goal is to have them in the ground by May 15th 😊

Attachments

• 20200422_081255.jpg
    20200422_081255.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 14

BrownFingers

You could try this.
https://www.dollarama.com/en-CA/p-garden-cloche-with-metal-pegs/3037112

Why don't you transplant into a bigger pot? Some say you can't transplant Autos. I disagree. Sure, it's better to not transplant, but the alternative is to stunt your plant in a small pot. Do I have to say "do it gently"?

Put your plant in the ground and stake a black weed barrier or garden cloth around your plant. Black plastic is good, but take it off on abnormally hot days to prevent over heating the soil. That's about all you can do. You can combine this with the above Cloche.

Those cloches actually look like a nice fit, gonna have a look around to see if I can find any around here, but in theory they should be almost as easy to make yourself with something plastic of suitable size.

I am not using pots at all, I'm planting them at the spot, already got holes and soil in place. I've read the same about autos, but this was also a solution I was looking at; keeping them indoors for a week or so and transplant to spot.

I feel like, considering my inexperience, both options have great potential for stunting/shocking the plants. I had the same idea about covering in black plastic/cloth to essentially "heat up" the soil in the hole but I have no idea about heat retention capabilities and the night is the problematic part, not the day. I'm not too worried about cooking them.

Sunshineinabag

Those cloches actually look like a nice fit, gonna have a look around to see if I can find any around here, but in theory they should be almost as easy to make yourself with something plastic of suitable size.

I am not using pots at all, I'm planting them at the spot, already got holes and soil in place. I've read the same about autos, but this was also a solution I was looking at; keeping them indoors for a week or so and transplant to spot.

I feel like, considering my inexperience, both options have great potential for stunting/shocking the plants. I had the same idea about covering in black plastic/cloth to essentially "heat up" the soil in the hole but I have no idea about heat retention capabilities and the night is the problematic part, not the day. I'm not too worried about cooking them.

im thinking 2 liter soda bottles turned upside down, cut off the tapered top, those may work

PDX Dopesmoker

Heres 4 different kinds of males in decreasing order of maturity, that 3rd one is a total runt, not 3" tall and all his siblings are over 6". Last one you can't really tell on the photo, so just trust me instead.
SslOajN.jpg

wcd8edu.jpg

5mQjRx5.jpg

nOXDKAr.jpg

Winners and losers in competitive growing conditions
E3454jh.jpg

RED 1

Hi B.:)
Had a great experience with autos(first time indoors),and,result, that have included two more in my outdoor grow.The only difference, autos do love a "light mix" soil(BioBizz LightMix current run/autos in pots)
Temps the last 3 days, nighttime temps under 5C,tonight 2C,rained constantly yesterday for 16 hours
Plants intentionally planted(fems, p.s I'm treating autos like fem seeds), pots upside down, worked(had to account for wind chill factor, rocks, some rain got in).Two hours in the sun today, and, everything back to normal.My only concern was earth was too moist, so a cup or two of perlite, your auto will propably love the touch if you intend to plant it into the ground
So some basic precautions, light soil, etc
Hope it helps somewhat, although this my first "in the ground" planted seeds
"Free range seedlings" exposed to everything, are doing fine as well
:)

Last edited:

Dankwolf

Female seeds 2020 outdoor

Female seeds 2020 outdoor

45 gallon potters . plants are fully recovered from transplant.

Marocc
picture.php

Chem og

picture.php

Critacal sour

picture.php

Dream berry

picture.php

Group pic

picture.php

Big Eggy

Veteran
Looking good Dankwolf!

Im interested to see how your Maroc turns out, Im growing the purple version but read the regular one is a little more potent.

BrownFingers

Hi B.
smile.gif

Had a great experience with autos(first time indoors),and,result, that have included two more in my outdoor grow.The only difference, autos do love a "light mix" soil(BioBizz LightMix current run/autos in pots)
Temps the last 3 days, nighttime temps under 5C,tonight 2C,rained constantly yesterday for 16 hours
Plants intentionally planted(fems, p.s I'm treating autos like fem seeds), pots upside down, worked(had to account for wind chill factor, rocks, some rain got in).Two hours in the sun today, and, everything back to normal.My only concern was earth was too moist, so a cup or two of perlite, your auto will propably love the touch if you intend to plant it into the ground
So some basic precautions, light soil, etc
Hope it helps somewhat, although this my first "in the ground" planted seeds
"Free range seedlings" exposed to everything, are doing fine as well
smile.gif
Hey RED!

It's great to hear they survived a couple of days in 2-5C! What do you mean with pots upside down though? I am not using pots at all personally, just planting at the spot in 20L soil filled holes :)

I have perlite in the soil mix already (should have added more though, oh well). Moist earth should help with heat retention actually, I read watering before cold nights might help stave off frost.

This has turned into a sort of a fun problem solving challenge, see if I can help it survive an early planting. I am putting out the rest (12-13 seeds) when night temps are more stable at 8-10C. I have two strains that are bred for northern european climates so probably trying with one of those (Northern Light X Big bud or Cream C).

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
when do you guys put your latest seedings out?
Last year I had my earliest out may 11th and latest out july 17th. The earliest I think went out too early as they started to flower, then went back into veg, then later went back into flower. I think this year I'm aiming for the end of may, early june. Memorial Day weekend is the rule of thumb if I'm remembering correctly.

Latest posts

Latest posts