What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ANYTHING OUTDOOR 2022 EVERYWHERE

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Also, for what it's worth, I think the main problem when I was using insect frass last year was soil compaction.

I hadn't tilled the soil for a few years at that point and it had been walked all over by deer countless times and probably myself at times as well. When I forked the soil twice this year, it raised the surface by a few inches and definitely loosened up all of the soil going down a foot or so. Much more root friendly.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Right on.

Anybody ever make chicken manure "tea"? (None of that areated pump bubbly business, I'm taking just throw some chicken manure compost pellets in a gallon of water and let it steep before using as a soil drench)

Does it work? How long to steep?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Good to know, I think I might pick up a bottle of it today.

A question to you and @Great outdoors both: is being a fast-acting fertilizer simply a matter of being water soluble/liquid based?

In terms of beneficial microbes, that is one thing my soil has. I've been no-till for a handful of years (this year I used a garden fork to lift/fluff the soil, but didn't turn any of it over) and there's been plenty of earthworm castings, mushroom compost, endo/ecto and buildasoil "complete" microbe mix watered in, frass, chicken manure, etc. all added in over time.
if you want organic nutes that are available and balanced properly General Organics line works well and is available in all hydro shops. very hard to come up with a good mix of organic nutes from scratch.

getting my soil tested and working from that has been very helpful so that I can target my levels of macro and micro nutes. you need someone to help interpret the test ho understands cannabis though. very important to understand your soil density before you sling minerals at it. easy test to do at home too. this video explains it.

couple others on soil math. these guys teach a good class on how to get started with soil testing and mineral balancing.

tilling is a really important part of getting proper tilth in my native soil patch and I add rice hulls and perlite until I have the desired texture. in the past I have added partially rotted wood chips to improve the texture and organic matter and fungal content.

this years tilling in one of my patches

tilling .jpg

adding perlite and rice hulls in compacted area.JPG

dividing the pile.JPG

tilling in more .JPG

clones in

1st clones in 6.9.22.JPG

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
no till is a remediation TEK for conventional AG. you can have plenty of beneficial bacteria and fungus and still till every spring, my microscope will show you.

fungal spore and hyphae with oxalate crystals

fungal strand and cyst.png

nematode

snapshot-2020-12-20_18-40-52.132.png

testate amoeba

snapshot-2020-12-20_16-25-38.032.png

my weed will show you even better than the microscope, 2021...

patch entry 9.26.21.JPG

outs 9-16-21.JPG

Runtz

Runtz 9-16-21.JPG

OG Kush

Josh D 10-7-21.JPG

Forum cookies

Forum 10-14-21.JPG

Radicle Rye

Too bad general organics is just a general hydroponics line. Just because something has organic in the name doesn't mean that it is organic compliant. It's not OMRI or CDFA approved. That's what I look for. Just go grab some Neptune's fish seaweed and call it good for now.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
A question to you and @Great outdoors both: is being a fast-acting fertilizer simply a matter of being water soluble/liquid based?

The answer is no, organic water soluble/liquid based may be absorbed fastER but that doesn't make them fast acting the way chemical fertilizers are. Where the uptake is basically instantaneous and it doesn't need the system of roots and microorganisms to break it down. This is how I discovered Agrothrive, I got curious about this stuff and did a little digging. Agrothrive is 'the world's first fast acting OMRI approved organic fertilizer.'

I used some about 12 hours ago yesterday evening, had to go outside and check the growth. My biggest plant was just touching my nostril. Now it's just above my eyes, touching my eyebrows with the new growth sticking up to the top of my head. Unbelievable stuff. It's made me a convert, I've joined the cult, etc. If you really want to see crazy fast growth a cupful of this stuff with 3/4 cup of Alaska fish in a 5 gallon bucket. Alaska is the next closest thing I've found to 'fast acting'.

The reason this stuff works instantaneously like chemical fertilizer is because of how they process it. They use heat, enzymes, and microorganisms to 'pre-digest' it into a form that's immediately available. It gets the roots growing like crazy and causes the mycelium and bacteria in the soil to grow quickly as well.

This is great and all but I'm a believer in slow release organic fertilizer. I'll admit I can be lazy about making teas, something I really should do more often. But I want to make my soil rich enough from the start so they aren't necessary. I like to mix stuff like fish bone meal and alfalfa meal directly into the soil. I like alfalfa meal because it pulls in the worms. Making great soil is a year-round deal, it doesn't start when you stick your plants in the ground and end when you harvest. When I plant out I'll mix in a lot of slow release nitrogen with the idea that it'll keep feeding up until August. I like mixing slow release P and K in through June and July with the idea that it'll get devoured by mid September.

If I add stuff like molasses and Agrothrive it's going to be that much more effective. Because the structure is already there. It's actually unnecessary, kind of overkill, but it's fun to watch plants growing a couple inches overnight. I'll add one more thing, I am direct planting in my 'native' garden soil that's been built up for decades. Teas and liquid nutrients are critical when you're growing in containers because you can only make your mix so rich.

St. Phatty

Right on.

Anybody ever make chicken manure "tea"? (None of that areated pump bubbly business, I'm taking just throw some chicken manure compost pellets in a gallon of water and let it steep before using as a soil drench)

Does it work? How long to steep?

Every day, recently.

Fed some to my seedlings yesterday, which are finally moving into Rapid Growth stage.

By a miracle of Bad Chicken Coop management, my garage ended up being a chicken coop, so it's easy to obtain Chicken Manure in powder form. I just have to sweep up a few feet of garage floor.

I also have chicken manure in Brick form, though it's more like a plate 1/2 inch thick, from the bottom of the rooster's cage. Hard to break up.

The tea mix:
* Human urine, mucho de Nitrogen.
* Wood Ash, rich in POT-assium to help my POT plants.
* chicken manure, contains NPK.

Not sure about compost tea that contains only chicken manure.

Montuno

...como el Son...
Zamaldelica its a veeeery good strain, i have made it in out last year

Espero que esté a la altura de su gran fama y reputación aquí...
(Es broma): Sólo por curiosidad... ¿qué temperatura tiene tu invernadero al mediodía? Porque en mi zona, con una semana de máximas a la sombra entre 40 y 44 °C (104 y 112'5 °F), cualquier plástico está ardiendo hasta entrado al anochecer...Espero que seas de la cornisa cantábrica, que mucho me temo es donde vamos a tener que emigrar el resto... Eso o hacer como los canarios y saharauis: criar dromedarios...

I hope it lives up to its great fame and reputation here....
(just kidding): Just out of curiosity... what is the temperature in your greenhouse at midday? Because in my area, with a week of maximums in the shade between 40 and 44 °C (104 and 112'5 °F), any plastic is burning until late in the evening... I hope you are from the Cantabrian coast, which I'm afraid is where the rest of us are going to have to emigrate... Either that or do like the Canarians and Saharawis: breed dromedaries...

Screenshot_2022_0617_172056.png

Hashislife

Espero que esté a la altura de su gran fama y reputación aquí...
(Es broma): Sólo por curiosidad... ¿qué temperatura tiene tu invernadero al mediodía? Porque en mi zona, con una semana de máximas a la sombra entre 40 y 44 °C (104 y 112'5 °F), cualquier plástico está ardiendo hasta entrado al anochecer...Espero que seas de la cornisa cantábrica, que mucho me temo es donde vamos a tener que emigrar el resto... Eso o hacer como los canarios y saharauis: criar dromedarios...

I hope it lives up to its great fame and reputation here....
(just kidding): Just out of curiosity... what is the temperature in your greenhouse at midday? Because in my area, with a week of maximums in the shade between 40 and 44 °C (104 and 112'5 °F), any plastic is burning until late in the evening... I hope you are from the Cantabrian coast, which I'm afraid is where the rest of us are going to have to emigrate... Either that or do like the Canarians and Saharawis: breed dromedaries...

View attachment 18723502
Pues aquí en mi invernadero estamos por las mismas en temperaturas, te recomiendo darle una lluvia cada día en el fin del atardecer, viene de la isla reunión, que es muy humedo, aguantara el calor por sus ancestros del Malawi 😉, tiene un strech pequeño por una sativa (x2 x3), muy productiva si la podas bien, me dio 200gr en una maceta 70L plantada en fin de mayo principio junio. No le gusta demasiado el abono.
La hierba es muy potente high completamente sativa, energetica y un poco psiquadelica, según el fenotipo tiene un sabor muy picante o fruta tropical. Aquí las corte los 20 y algo de octubre. Estoy en Castilla y León.

20210620_161401.jpg la única foto que encontré

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Because in my area, with a week of highs in the shade between 40 and 44 °C (104 and 112.5 °F), any plastic is burning until late at night... I hope you are from the Cantabrian coast, which is very I'm afraid that's where the rest of us are going to have to emigrate... That or do like the Canarians and Saharawis: raise dromedaries...
It's ridiculous how fucked the weather has gotten. Maybe you could send me 15 degrees of warmth to balance it out? Today it's a high of 14 degrees C, if I'm lucky. That's 57 degrees F. With drizzly rain all day. I'm still running my heater in my house from time to time, normally it's off for good by mid May. 20 degrees C is a warm spell right now. I'm very lucky not to be suffering from stem rot, probably too cold.

Beast710

First pic is today. Second pic may 25th
65 gal.
Wilson male accidentally pollinated a Gushers clone last year and these are the first round of beans popped from that calling it M1 (Mystery1) WilsonxGushers for now.
Running Roots 707, Athena pro line & silica started in March/apr

Attachments

• 16D71431-1C95-4E38-805D-30ACA99085DC.jpeg
    16D71431-1C95-4E38-805D-30ACA99085DC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • 214C5888-5B04-4A8A-99BE-95CA138F651A.jpeg
    214C5888-5B04-4A8A-99BE-95CA138F651A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 81

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Every day, recently.

Fed some to my seedlings yesterday, which are finally moving into Rapid Growth stage.

By a miracle of Bad Chicken Coop management, my garage ended up being a chicken coop, so it's easy to obtain Chicken Manure in powder form. I just have to sweep up a few feet of garage floor.

I also have chicken manure in Brick form, though it's more like a plate 1/2 inch thick, from the bottom of the rooster's cage. Hard to break up.

The tea mix:
* Human urine, mucho de Nitrogen.
* Wood Ash, rich in POT-assium to help my POT plants.
* chicken manure, contains NPK.

Not sure about compost tea that contains only chicken manure.

I think I might just take the chicken pellets I have and smash them to dust with a brick, then throw them in some water.

How long you let the mix you have steep?

Also thought about pissing on my plants just yesterday, scared to pull the trigger lol.

Poured some insect frass tea (1/2 cup per gallon) on some of my plants yesterday. The other plants are getting Alaska Fish fertilizer today. I'm curious as to how soon each will start to show results.

Montuno

...como el Son...
18702309-5a9f28f5cee5e044e1f712be7469a4a3.jpg

30° C, Colombia mangobiche

Salu2
Si...30°C (86°F)...pero a las 10 de la mañana y a la sombra, je,je... De todas formas, parece que aún tendrás hoy unos 5°C (41 °F) menos que yo hoy, suertudo... Y la cosa esa tan grande, tan azul, y que encima moja, que tienes al ladico, ni la menciono...
Primo que esta semana he visto a varias culebras grandes meterse a bañarse en el agua de los cubos de beber los perros (un suicidio anunciado).
Que bonita va la Mangobiche, por cierto...

Joder, @therevverend... Lo tuyo es ya clima polar... 14°C (57°F) de máxima diurna a la sombra!! ...pero sí creo que Oslo (Noruega) está rozando los 20°C (68°F)?!?... Pues cual es tu mínima nocturna ?!?
Yo te regalaba 15°C con muchísimo gusto, si estuviera en mi mano, y te añadía un soplo de calima sahariana, que te añade otro puñado de °C de cortesía...
Ya hemos alcanzado los 44°C (111'5°F) a la sombra (lo que significan unos 54°C o 129'5°F, bajo el sol...) Y eso durante la primera quincena de Junio, siendo aún primavera...:

Yes...30°C (86°F)...but at 10am and in the shade, heh heh.... Anyway, it looks like you'll still have about 5°C (41°F) less than me today, lucky you... And that big, blue and wet thing next to you, I won't even mention it...
Cousin, this week I have seen several big snakes getting into the water's buckets where the dogs drink (a suicide announced).
How beautiful is the Mangobiche, by the way...

Fuck, @therevverend... Yours is already polar weather... 14°C (57°F) daytime highs in the shade!!!! ...but I do think Oslo (Norway) is getting close to 20°C (68°F)?!?!?.... So what is your night time minimum ?!?!?
I would gladly give you 15°C, if I had my way, and I'd add a breath of Saharan haze, which adds another handful of °C as a courtesy....
We have already reached 44°C (111'5°F) in the shade (which means about 54°C or 129'5°F, under the sun...) And that during the first fortnight of June, while it is still spring...:
Screenshot_2022_0618_090903.png

...Yo estoy por declararme "refugiado climático", y pedir asilo en Islandia...
...I'm about to declare myself a "climate refugee", and ask for asylum in Iceland...

@Hashislife... (bromeando): Yo también soy castellano, pero como bromean los asturianos, "castellano nuevo, o de los de tierra conquistada", je...

Me temo que mi Zamalmistica si está sufriendo con mi tipo de calor tan seco, por mucho que riegue, pues es muy joven (nació el 19 de Mayo).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts