What's new

ANYTHING OUTDOOR 2022 EVERYWHERE

40degsouth

Takes quite a few years to figure it out and even so every now and then one will surprise you. End up throwing a hair at the end of July just to be frustrating
I think there was a bit of a discussion on this exact topic a year or two ago, we were both involved in. It’s a really interesting topic this, now you see me now you don’t tomfoolery. Does it mean that the plant is sexually unstable and a certain percentage of it’s progeny, under stress, will herm or is it a normal response to environmental conditions.
I remember a conversation in the “Growing Large Plants Outdoors” thread and the consensus was not to use ambiguous plants for breeding and it’s something I’ve always stuck to.
Cheers,

Sub24ox7

Purple haze v2 from Johnnychicago
And 1 thunk f-1 in the back✌️
Air temp has been 100 degrees F the last few days. I take these plants in and out of darkness(barn) everyday. Started them indoors like first of march. Been light dep outside for the last month and week.

Attachments

• 02C18F96-C995-43A0-87B0-6880A53D4C6E.jpeg
    02C18F96-C995-43A0-87B0-6880A53D4C6E.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 94
  • D92B1596-F633-4933-812B-D85F1A6CD6F6.jpeg
    D92B1596-F633-4933-812B-D85F1A6CD6F6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
  • F8664C2B-F892-44C5-A59A-243CC9FBBCD6.jpeg
    F8664C2B-F892-44C5-A59A-243CC9FBBCD6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 94
  • 5485386A-E4AA-445B-BFD4-DE9B95514BF7.jpeg
    5485386A-E4AA-445B-BFD4-DE9B95514BF7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
  • 685FFBBB-9AC7-43A5-A769-BD9FE524B4B8.jpeg
    685FFBBB-9AC7-43A5-A769-BD9FE524B4B8.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 96
  • 0D6D3597-C898-4EB0-B930-29CAA13676F1.jpeg
    0D6D3597-C898-4EB0-B930-29CAA13676F1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 100

Great outdoors

Haven't been here in awhile, good to see you got this thread going Reverend 👍
Some good outdoor plant shots is always worth participating in.
Coldest spring I have seen in my life. Yesterday was the first day I wore shorts for a few hours, crazy. So seeds weren't started until the end of April this year, and it has been slow going so far this year. Of course because I finally figured out some cages to keep the monsters from falling over. Murphy's law, probably won't be monsters this year, but maybe we can finally get a nice fall instead???? Hoping, it's been a while.

Purple maroc

PXL_20220615_170311698.jpg
PXL_20220615_170326104.jpg

Outdoor grapefruit

PXL_20220615_170337223.jpg
PXL_20220615_170347278.jpg

Juicy fruit

PXL_20220615_170443823.jpg
PXL_20220615_170455485.jpg

Island Sweet Skunk

PXL_20220615_170507671.jpg

PXL_20220615_170518477.jpg

Funkalicious

Coldest spring I have seen in my life. Yesterday was the first day I wore shorts for a few hours, crazy. So seeds weren't started until the end of April this year, and it has been slow going so far this year. Of course because I finally figured out some cages to keep the monsters from falling over. Murphy's law, probably won't be monsters this year, but maybe we can finally get a nice fall instead???? Hoping, it's been a while.

Purple maroc

View attachment 18722853 View attachment 18722854

Outdoor grapefruit

View attachment 18722855 View attachment 18722856

Juicy fruit

View attachment 18722857 View attachment 18722858

Island Sweet Skunk

View attachment 18722859
View attachment 18722860
I like your volcano mounds! The dank is erupting into the light! Magma OG

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Fuck, man.

My biggest plants are barely 8 inches tall, 4 or 5 inches across and it's already mid-June.

I hate to be that guy, but ever since I switched from Jack's 20-20-20 fert to organic soil amendments and building soil over years and years....

...my growth rate on my plants has turned to absolute dogshit. Went from having monsters (one of my guerrilla plants from years ago brought in almost 2lbs of dried bud) to having dainty little shitty plants that grow at a snail's pace.

I'm starting to think that maybe I just suck at growing if I can't even come close to matching the success I had with the "plant in hard clay soil with some perlite mixed in and feed with synthetic fertilizer and that's it" approach.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Somebody previously mentioned Alaska Fish Emulsion fertilizer as an organic alternative to fast-acting synthetic fertilizers. I think it was @therevverend

Does that stuff bring critters out that want to dig up plants? At this point, I'm desperate enough to try it anyway.

Great outdoors

I like your volcano mounds! The dank is erupting into the light! Magma OG

They started as holes but 12yrs of no till, with added compost, mulch and amendments each year and this is the result.
Back in the day of guerilla I used to exclusively use mounds. Easier to mound up some local soil than to dig through the rocks.They also work good in that they are a lot harder to over water, breathe better.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Go for insect frass, seabird and bat guano and things like that if you are worried about critters.
I do have insect frass, but it doesn't seem to be as readily available to plants or as immediately available as Alaska Fish Emulsion or they synthetic fertilizers that I use to use.

The benefit of the old Jack's 20-20-20 was not just that it was super loaded with nutrients, but also that it was immediately available to plants and a difference is noted overnight.

I've had other issues in past seasons that I've used insect frass, so I can't say for sure whether or not it was working well, but it seemed to me like the frass wasn't as fast-acting.

Great outdoors

I do have insect frass, but it doesn't seem to be as readily available to plants or as immediately available as Alaska Fish Emulsion or they synthetic fertilizers that I use to use.

The benefit of the old Jack's 20-20-20 was not just that it was super loaded with nutrients, but also that it was immediately available to plants and a difference is noted overnight.

I've had other issues in past seasons that I've used insect frass, so I can't say for sure whether or not it was working well, but it seemed to me like the frass wasn't as fast-acting.

Well it's water soluble for the most part so it is quick acting. Maybe you just didn't use enough. If you can find some Peruvian Seabird Guano that stuff is literally the shit, food of the gods. 12-12-2.5 so you will need to find a K source, but it's fast acting and makes them grow big.

xet

Purple maroc

View attachment 18722853 View attachment 18722854

Outdoor grapefruit

View attachment 18722855 View attachment 18722856

Juicy fruit

View attachment 18722857 View attachment 18722858

Island Sweet Skunk

View attachment 18722859
View attachment 18722860
Excellent style :cool:

therevverend

Veteran
Does that stuff bring critters out that want to dig up plants? At this point, I'm desperate enough to try it anyway

I've never had it attract animals although it certainly stinks. Mixing it with water and then washing down the area you poured it with a little water would be a good idea. I've buried fish in my garden and had varmints dig them up, just a few weeks back I tossed a few rotten mangos in the soil and buried them lightly. The next day they'd been dug up and chewed on. So there's certainly animals with sensitive noses that will dig up the garden bed if they sense food in the area but no problems from either the Alaska fish or Agrothrive which is similar.

Agrothrive is very fast acting, it's made from fermented fish and corn liquor. Corn liquor is the leftovers when they process grain for animal feed. They put the stuff in a vat and add beneficial microbes that break it down into a form that's immediately available to plants. It's more balanced then Alaska although not as high in N, 3-3-2. Even though those numbers aren't that high you see the results almost immediately.

What you don't want to do is leave your bottle of Alaska fish lying around in your patch. A couple years ago a buddy of mine had a bear visit. Didn't tear up his garden but went for the bottle. Since he's kept it indoors under lock and key the bears haven't been back.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I've never had it attract animals although it certainly stinks. Mixing it with water and then washing down the area you poured it with a little water would be a good idea. I've buried fish in my garden and had varmints dig them up, just a few weeks back I tossed a few rotten mangos in the soil and buried them lightly. The next day they'd been dug up and chewed on. So there's certainly animals with sensitive noses that will dig up the garden bed if they sense food in the area but no problems from either the Alaska fish or Agrothrive which is similar.

Agrothrive is very fast acting, it's made from fermented fish and corn liquor. Corn liquor is the leftovers when they process grain for animal feed. They put the stuff in a vat and add beneficial microbes that break it down into a form that's immediately available to plants. It's more balanced then Alaska although not as high in N, 3-3-2. Even though those numbers aren't that high you see the results almost immediately.

What you don't want to do is leave your bottle of Alaska fish lying around in your patch. A couple years ago a buddy of mine had a bear visit. Didn't tear up his garden but went for the bottle. Since he's kept it indoors under lock and key the bears haven't been back.
Good to know, I think I might pick up a bottle of it today.

A question to you and @Great outdoors both: is being a fast-acting fertilizer simply a matter of being water soluble/liquid based?

In terms of beneficial microbes, that is one thing my soil has. I've been no-till for a handful of years (this year I used a garden fork to lift/fluff the soil, but didn't turn any of it over) and there's been plenty of earthworm castings, mushroom compost, endo/ecto and buildasoil "complete" microbe mix watered in, frass, chicken manure, etc. all added in over time.