What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anything Outdoor 2018

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I have always hesitated using feminized seeds because of the risk of hermaphrodite plants. If they are male thats easy, you can find those early. If a hermi dropps pollen in september, its not going to be good. Could be lots of seed and it would all be worthless.

Here is info on Femenized seeds:

ibechillin said:
Nothing wrong with feminized seeds, they are made using STS (Silver Thiosulfate) or CS (colloidal silver) which involves spraying to temporarily make female plants produce male parts through hormonal change. It is not stressful to the plant in any way and the plant goes back to being all female when you stop using the silver spray, it only affects the branches that are sprayed as well not the whole plant, it does not cause the offspring to be hermaphrodite as it is a hormonal change. Regular male x female seeds are just as likely to be hermaphrodite as feminized seeds, its an inherited trait from the parent plants. Through multiple generations of selfing negative effects will surface because of the lack of genetic diversity, outcrossing should not be a problem.

I have found many female individuals that I could not reverse by stress, as well as a few that could not be reversed with STS. Why I do not know for sure.

Selfing to S4 will cause inbreeding loss of vigor and many buried negative genes will be expressed, try for S5 or S6 and you are lucky to get functional pollen Dehiscence, I find sticky pollen that is viable but does not drop, so it is functionally sterile. You can use it with a q-tip if careful. I try to not make above S3's. It is hard to use STS to make all female copies of a female clone specially if a Poly-Multi-Hybrid, a selfed female clone of that type will segregate and act as an F2 population. So very hard to find one just like the clone mother.
-SamS

you can cross two female or cross two males by transforming one to the opposite sex, a transformed female clone to male will express pollen but it is still genetically a female, the same with males they can be transformed to female to make seeds.

Transforming males to a female will also allowing smoking of the male transformed to female expression or lab testing of the cannabinoids and terpenes they can contribute to progeny.

Regardless if the female is Haze or Skunk the f1 hybrids express the same general terpene and Cannabinoids, I have made hundreds and tested them.

There may be sex linked traits but this has not been proven in Cannabis.

Intersexed plants can be male or female. Males that are intersex can make seeds on themselves or on nearby plants.

One last point is plants do not just turn intersex because they have not been pollinated, they are born with the intersex traits, be they XY intersex or intersex traits that require stress of some sort to express the intersex. Both are inherited from intersex parents.

People confuse dominate and recessive genes with what a plant recieves from the parents, but do a prunett square with two palnts that have dominate and recessive genes for the same gene and you will see progeny have a crap shoot on what they receive. Depending on what the parents have Ww X Rr for example in the case of White and Red.

Plant genetics like Cannabis can be confusing as Cannabis is a dioecious obligate outcrosser and is a bit special. (90% of all flowering plants on earth have both sex, the remaining 10 percent have unisexual male and female flowers on the same plant (monoecious species) or male and female flowers on separate plants (dioecious species) they are the minority. Cannabis is one of the minority it is dioecious.
-SamS

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Great work Dankwolf! Those are some healthy plants! How does the wooden frame work? Will you put a tarp over it for rain? How will they be supported?

Looking good Caliprop! Those are so stout! Super stealth! Kind of like a sea of green. Its funny what these plants can take. Got to tie up main stem so it doesn't rip. They just keep on growing! Fun to watch!

I have always hesitated using feminized seeds because of the risk of hermaphrodite plants. If they are male thats easy, you can find those early. If a hermi dropps pollen in september, its not going to be good. Could be lots of seed and it would all be worthless.

Hey guys I'll be donating seed from my line soon. Its special and pretty close to true breeding. Its a stable line, so its a great start for a breeding program. If you're interested it will be available to purchase at seedbay/real guerilla seeds. I'll let you know when its received. This is a great line. Pure afghan with different origins and a couple bubblegums mixed in, one is sour bubble! Later on, Hill Temple Collective will likely release a more refined version!

Preserve your good lines in seed! It lasts longer, and as you work the line it gets better and better! The seed can be spread far and wide and heal families all over the world! i was made for this. Its what God has called me to do guys!

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

Champion Male fell over because I stole some of the soil holding him up to spread around the girls. He'll be fine. Males are forming up stamen. Will be seeing pollen in 7-14 days! Yes!

View Image

I love fem seeds and have since they first come out. I've never had much probably expect hemi's every now and then. But when I stay with the tried and true breeders I've never had nothing more than a banana here or there....pull it off and no worries. But if I'm gonna f2 a strain or cross something it's a no brainer you gotta use standard seeds.

Maybe I'll grab a pack for outdoors 19 and give them a go. Keep us informed!!!

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I forgot to mention in the feminized seeds post that you can still get male plants from feminized seeds.
We recently grew out 700 female seeds we did not encounter a single hermie we did encounter three full on males .

@KangarooKY
The plants you have that were males from fem seeds, did they show pistils and pollen sacks forming like a hermie? Or just male pollen sacks only?

Im curious how the pollen from the fem seed males would affect the next generation of seeds?

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I forgot to mention in the feminized seeds post that you can still get male plants from feminized seeds.

@KangarooKY
The plants you have that were males from fem seeds, did they show pistils and pollen sacks forming like a hermie? Or just male pollen sacks only?

Im curious how the pollen from the fem seed males would affect the next generation of seeds?

I figure they would be garbage. Seems like things are already not right so I'd have to be leary. I'm going out on a climb and saying that if KY environment has been anything like mine it's probably caused stress and either hemi'. Were getting fucking washed off around here I'm about to throw in the towel and get a canoe. I've never seen these Mtns get so much rain....hollers washed out, mudslides. I'm fearing our home could get a mudslide push down on it. Hoping all these guys in this region are hanging in there.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh my goodness! I know how steep those mountains are. Yeah mudslides could happen in when it gets like this. Thats pretty scary! I am praying for you! I saw the color on the NWS map for wet conditions out there, but I didn't really think about looking into it.

Awesome, we have a volunteer for our breeding project! Great stuff WV! You can help us test and refine the line! God Bless America! You aren't but a few hundred miles from me. We're in the same neighborhood so this line is acclimated pretty close for your climate! Just watch the mold, you know how it is. They have tops ready to smoke Sept 15 so its gonna be all good! :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The other solid House Indica male stamen

picture.php

Champion house indica male stamen
picture.php

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Right on Scales-Reggae Radio

https://onlineradiobox.com/us/rightonscalesreggae/?cs=us.rightonscalesreggae&played=1

picture.php

picture.php

Champion House Indica male

picture.php

picture.php

The other House Indica male ahead of the game. We aren't going to be waiting on pollen this year. That kind of sucked last year pollinating until September 3. I knew what I was in for when i saw the size of the female flowers and had let them pollinate that long! Fully pollinated plants don't produce much. Once the female flower at the tip is marble sized, its fully pollinated. Its a fine line! It really is an art!

picture.php

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To pollinate a crop a little bit and just get a few seeds per flower pollinate at around pencil eraser size. Pretty much a day or 2 of pollination and thats it. Marble sized is way too big. I waited another week last year letting them produce pollen before removing males, and it was about half a week too long. The secret is using males that are strong and in the sun. Dont use shade stunted plants as pollinators. They won't have pollen ready on time when the females are still small! There's a cheap lesson for ya! :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Just some tomatoes! The tall ones are around 5-6 feet. Big betsy house indica with 7 heads is about 6' 3"! I'd expect to see them get to around 8' again this year! Tip of the fingers is where they're going! They are releasing all the nodes right now getting really bushy! Gardening is fun! :smoke:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
were getting fucking washed off around here I'm about to throw in the towel and get a canoe. I've never seen these Mtns get so much rain....hollers washed out, mudslides. I'm fearing our home could get a mudslide push down on it. Hoping all these guys in this region are hanging in there.

Damn kindbud youve had a rough go at it this season, I just checked on the storm over there and saw the flash flood warnings. Wishing the best for you and your family (and others caught in the storm).

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Thanks Just some tomatoes! The tall ones are around 5-6 feet. Big betsy house indica with 7 heads is about 6' 3"! I'd expect to see them get to around 8' again this year! Tip of the fingers is where they're going! They are releasing all the nodes right now getting really bushy! Gardening is fun! :smoke:

Awesome! Checked my plants tonight and the tallest is at least 8 feet. They should be showing their sex in a week or two.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Damn kindbud youve had a rough go at it this season, I just checked on the storm over there and saw the flash flood warnings. Wishing the best for you and your family (and others caught in the storm).

Thanks man, I just hope some of these other families just already been flooded away the past few yrs can make it. I know of folks getting flooded off a few yrs back and re-build to just get flooded away again. Things got bad last nite, I'm afraid the whole plot my containers are will slide off.....I'm almost afraid to go look lol. I'm gonna check around in the hills around me and see if I can notice any unstable areas. Its kinda hard to notice sometimes how unstable the ground is. I'm also worried about rain/water damage from all the heavy rains. I know it's supposed to rain the nx wk so I dunno what's gonna become on things. I've put a ton of work into getting a grow started this yr.....but I'm a lot more concerned about everybody lively hood really. Maybe things will be ok

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Well my container plants and hillside seem ok for now. It's extremely humid that's for sure. I just cleaned around everything and checked stuff, also gave them a bit of Epsom salts. I only use about 1tbs per gal and usually put the Epsom to them once ever 2-3wks. Gonna get some molasses and give them some of that. Just normal maintainance today. Plants are growing like crazy thankfully !!!!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Magnesium Sulfate
This is a little long winded but good just the same.

5 Minute mark is the "How to"
[iframe1]1ZDwLqg7kQk[/iframe1]

I’m glad to see your still in the game WV! Man it’s rained a ton this season! I have to make this post kind of fast but I’ll be back on tonight.. OK so I’d love to here some feedback on this one.. I was going to possibly my BEST plot today and I got right real close to it maybe 200 feet and stopped to take a break.. looked to my left and BAM I’m staring into the lense of a trail cam.. it was about 80-100 feet away.. I had long sleeves and a mask on like always but gosh.. whoever’s that is HAS to know about my plot there’s literally no way they don’t.. and thinking back on it.. strange things over the past TWO years are starting to add up now that I know someone is going to that area.. before I couldn’t understand things because I thought there was no way possible anybody else ever stepped foot on that soil.. I’m just bummed and honestly don’t know what my next move is I have a few ideas tho.. and I’m telling ya this is a HEAVY producing area

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Take the cam/ Check to see if their mug is on it.

I'd go out UNcamouflaged with a camera around my neck a couple times. Dress like a nerd, not a dealer. Don't hang around your spot. Walk past it. Take lots of pictures of shit but NONE of your spot or plants. Play dumb. Go back once a month MAX (you saw a moose there once and want to take a picture of it. Got it?), but no more camo until your midnight harvest.

But that's what I'd do. I don't know if you get nailed for stumbling on a grow in your state.