What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anything Outdoor 2018

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Be careful when buying seaweeds. There are good ones and ones that have little value.

Also, where to apply them and when is an issue.

For example, applying a cytokinin to the roots will actually tend to stall the plants. Roots get lazy. Always apply cytokinin seaweeds foliarly. Small quantities constantly and mixed with other foliars. The best cytokinin source on the market is North American Kelp, Seacrop 16. It has the highest guaranteed cytokinin level on the planet, 400ppms. This should be used from veg up through week 3 of flower.

For root applications, you really want to use an auxin seaweed source. So far, the only one that I have been able to find in the US is Kelpak. This applied to roots and foliage, forces more roots. Don't use it after week 1 of flower. All through veg is great.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the info on seaweed guys! I'll have to try that next year! I didn't know much about it! I'll have to do a little research!

I hear ya mountainbuds on people not knowing what they're talking about even when they have grown for years. A friend of mine insisted a high times editor talked about how the sex of a plant can be determined by looking at the seed. Another fellow in west virginia who was a thief and crackhead was saying some off the wall stuff about taking a dried bud, dipping it in root tone and sticking it in green styrofoam material used for cut flower arrangements. He said it grows a bud inside it. People just repeat what they heard without much thought and and goes downhill from there. I love learning. Thanks for contributing to the forums guys! Great group we have here! :smoke:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Thanks for the info on seaweed guys! I'll have to try that next year! I didn't know much about it! I'll have to do a little research!

I hear ya mountainbuds on people not knowing what they're talking about even when they have grown for years. A friend of mine insisted a high times editor talked about how the sex of a plant can be determined by looking at the seed. Another fellow in west virginia who was a thief and crackhead was saying some off the wall stuff about taking a dried bud, dipping it in root tone and sticking it in green styrofoam material used for cut flower arrangements. He said it grows a bud inside it. People just repeat what they heard without much thought and and goes downhill from there. I love learning. Thanks for contributing to the forums guys! Great group we have here! :smoke:

I was trying to tell some guys the same thing in another thread. You gotta watch who and what you listen to and try.

I've used the maxicrop seaweed for at least 15yrs the liquid and soluble. From start to finish and love it. I mix seaweed into almost every mix of nutes I make. It's always been a religious staple in my indoor grows and outdoors. That's just my opinion

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was trying to tell some guys the same thing in another thread. You gotta watch who and what you listen to and try.

I've used the maxicrop seaweed for at least 15yrs the liquid and soluble. From start to finish and love it. I mix seaweed into almost every mix of nutes I make. It's always been a religious staple in my indoor grows and outdoors. That's just my opinion

I used Maxi for years. Actually comes from Norway. Definitely a good product. We did side by side tests. Been through the bunch, Acadian, Maxi, SM6 (UK) and a few I can't remember.

I suggest everyone test. Don't take the word of anyone. That is even that way it is even in big ag, not just this biz. Lots of baloney out there and many have different dynamics of medium/water chemistry.

With that said, many folk won't get a lot of response from a good seaweed product if they really don't have their nutrition dialed in. That means having enough Ca and P most times. Most folk don't. All the seaweed in the world can't get you past the big problems. This is why many say, oh, tried it and I didn't see much. But that can also come from low hormone content.

Many seaweed products aren't actually made for fertilizer use, they were first processed to take the emulsifier out, basically eliminating the plant hormone content in the process.

Mengsk

Thank you slownickel, many of us have read through past threads but it's nice to hear pro-tips or a reminder anyhow.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I used Maxi for years. Actually comes from Norway. Definitely a good product. We did side by side tests. Been through the bunch, Acadian, Maxi, SM6 (UK) and a few I can't remember.

I suggest everyone test. Don't take the word of anyone. That is even that way it is even in big ag, not just this biz. Lots of baloney out there and many have different dynamics of medium/water chemistry.

With that said, many folk won't get a lot of response from a good seaweed product if they really don't have their nutrition dialed in. That means having enough Ca and P most times. Most folk don't. All the seaweed in the world can't get you past the big problems. This is why many say, oh, tried it and I didn't see much. But that can also come from low hormone content.

Many seaweed products aren't actually made for fertilizer use, they were first processed to take the emulsifier out, basically eliminating the plant hormone content in the process.

Thanks a lot I appriciate all your testing. I'm sorry I wasn't referencing that you didn't know your stuff lol. I'm just telling some younger guys in another thread to be careful who you listen to. It's easy to get a lot of advice and sometimes not the things you need. But didn't want you to take it the wrong way. I think once I really learned to ph and RO my water indoors and ppm EC my nutes is when I first started using maxicrop. It's been 15-20yrs at least. A lot of these other guys/brands wasn't around back then. Do you feel like the seaweed may help a plant that may be stress or sickly ?? Are there any other brands of kelp or seaweed that good that I should maybe try ??? I'm excited to find somebody who knows the facts ins and outs of seaweed. I agree 100% with you about having your nutes dialed in and not solely relying on seaweed. That sounds exactly how I use it....I kinda mix it in with whatever nutes I'm using, either a 3-1 FF or these Alaskan nutes. Really glad you posted about seaweed....I'm a believer!!!:tiphat:

Wvkindbuds I have pondered on the uphill struggle myself.. how to make it easier.. we’ll if it’s in a spot that you can do it without giving yourself away maybe try steel cable, two pulleys, and a crank handle (not sure the name of them but the kind that has the gears so that your not cranking the full weight of whatever it is your pulling) you would have to mount the two pulleys to trees..

-TheShortTexan-

I've seen some pretty awesome outdoor autoflowers. I think TychoMonolyth had some pics somewhere I saw. May have been someone else. Was a MASSIVE outdoor beauty. I've been debating whether to use them for next year. I've been wanting to give them a shot pretty badly. Any disadvantages other than size??

-TheShortTexan-

Some you're saying when looking for a seaweed additive, of either two types you previously mentioned, make sure it has the emulsifier in the product? I'm sure Google will clear this up for me, but so I can hear it from people who obviously know, what is an emulsifier?

Dday391

This video is really awesome. It's about how plants and mycorrhizae communicate and enables plants to transfer nutrients among each other. Pretty wild stuff.

https://youtu.be/_tjt8WT5mRs
The earths internet.

And I just looked at my bottle of super thrive and guess what it's made of? Kelp. Probably not exactly the same but I thought it's funny that it is a type of seaweed.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Wvkindbuds I have pondered on the uphill struggle myself.. how to make it easier.. we’ll if it’s in a spot that you can do it without giving yourself away maybe try steel cable, two pulleys, and a crank handle (not sure the name of them but the kind that has the gears so that your not cranking the full weight of whatever it is your pulling) you would have to mount the two pulleys to trees..

It's so dense, rough, steep to get to my good guerilla plot. I could maybe carry/drag a bale up there. If I could get up the mountain to the top I could get to were it's flat and there's a small path I walk accross. It's pretty hard to get up the hill. Just my backpack and 3gal of water I had to stop at least 6-8 times just getting to the path. Then it's prolly a mile at least. I dunno maybe this winter I'm try to get a few bags up there and be ready for nx season. What's a bale of promix weight ???? 35-40lb maybe??

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
This video is really awesome. It's about how plants and mycorrhizae communicate and enables plants to transfer nutrients among each other. Pretty wild stuff.

https://youtu.be/_tjt8WT5mRs
The earths internet.

And I just looked at my bottle of super thrive and guess what it's made of? Kelp. Probably not exactly the same but I thought it's funny that it is a type of seaweed.

I'll definatly check this out. I gotta find my earbuds to listen on youtube. My phone sound only works with earbuds. I love mycorrhizae. I've used plant success a lot indoors and Great White I think it's called in and outdoors. I'm using Mykos this yr in my outdoor grow. It's good to understand how/what exactly is happening and going on in the soil and what you need to do to help it thrive.

I've used SuperThrive as I'm sure everybody has through the yrs. I knew it had Kelp and it helps sickly disease plants. That's kinda why I figured the seaweed has some of the same attributes. That SuperThrive is strong :tiphat:

blkantha

Have you tried synthetic cytokinin or brassinolide?
Like 6BA etc.. Also some harmones like atonik etc...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
It's so dense, rough, steep to get to my good guerilla plot. I could maybe carry/drag a bale up there. If I could get up the mountain to the top I could get to were it's flat and there's a small path I walk accross. It's pretty hard to get up the hill. Just my backpack and 3gal of water I had to stop at least 6-8 times just getting to the path. Then it's prolly a mile at least. I dunno maybe this winter I'm try to get a few bags up there and be ready for nx season. What's a bale of promix weight ???? 35-40lb maybe??
100lbs by the time you're half way to your spot. lol

Winter haul with a sled all the way. I'm not carrying anything anymore. Fuck that shit. Everything but the seedlings. That'll be a job in itself. And if I could figure out a good way to raise my seedlings onsite I'd do that too. I'd love a solar powered self watering cold frame of sorts.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
100lbs by the time you're half way to your spot. lol

Winter haul with a sled all the way. I'm not carrying anything anymore. Fuck that shit. Everything but the seedlings. That'll be a job in itself. And if I could figure out a good way to raise my seedlings onsite I'd do that too. I'd love a solar powered self watering cold frame of sorts.

Yea I'm lucky to walk up this mtn with my backpack. I basically grab small trees and pull myself up. I'm fooling myself about me carrying a bale at a time....maybe a 1/4-1/2. I'm happy with how the native soil and slow release fert is doing. I'm gonna get a 4wheelwr for nx yr and probably find some easier sites for me to get supplies too. One thing about it I've got awhile to get a plan in place. I'm not planning to start late next yr lol

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I’m almost certain a 3.8 cuft bale (which is the larger bales) weighs 80 pounds.. mountain buds is a wild man saying he likes the wet bales haha.. when I like the native soil in a spot the most I will do as far as soil goes is I will take about a gallon of good soil per plant.. that way the seedlings will have that for there roots first starting off then obviously the roots will exceed that gallon of soil and go into the native soil..

I’m happy to hear someone bring up mycorrhizae it’s awesome how the fungi can lace together different plants like that.. I’ve got some mixed In my soil.. I think of it like this.. you’ve got a boat with just a pole sticking up right? That pole isn’t catching much wind.. you slap a sale on that pole.. now your boat is on the move, catching all the wind.. skinny roots? Or roots with mycorrhizae laced to them catching all the nutrients and thrusting them straight up the plant!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yea there no way me or damn near anybody is carrying 80lb up this Mtn lol....especially wet. I used to carry 100lb sacks of gamecock feed up a lil hill when I was younger. But this mtn is super steep. If I do it next yr I'd have to carry a half bale prolly. I damn sure wouldn't risk a hernia or something. I carried 3gal of water and could've maybe got 1 more. I think water is 8-12lb a gal. I'm not correct on that but I know this hill is to steep to do much.

Yea that mycorrhiza is good stuff. The first time I used that stuff in late 90s I've been hooked since. Something else that's expensive also lol.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Have any of you guys noticed a lot of stretch in your plants. It's rolling in on Aug 1st, the past 7-10days I've started to see crazy stretching in about everything. I'm seeing a white pistil or 2 but nothing besides a hair or so. Not really bud sites yet. My stuff is smaller anyway so it's gonna be awhile. But the stretch has begun in the Appalachias for me

Latest posts

Latest posts