What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone got a mortgage?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
afaik, you already have to have the place to rent and then apply for benefit.

as for mortgage, they will pay the interest on your mortgage if you already have one and then go onto benefits, but they wont award you housing benefit to buy your own house! besides you would need a deposit and proof of your income to get a mortgage from the bank in the first place!

VG

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Listen to this guy!!

Listen to this guy!!

afaik, you already have to have the place to rent and then apply for benefit.

as for mortgage, they will pay the interest on your mortgage if you already have one and then go onto benefits, but they wont award you housing benefit to buy your own house! besides you would need a deposit and proof of your income to get a mortgage from the bank in the first place!

VG

Y'll maybe from the same country. Some of us here don't know there's more than a couple three countries.

B

BrnCow

Here is the deal.

1. I am on some health benefits here and they told me i can get a mortgage and i wont have to pay interest on it.

Ho many years can you take a mortgage out for?

2. Also I am on some housing benefits. I get helpt with rent - benefits paid for rent AND council tax. I get about 500 for rent every month. So i was at the civic center the other day and talked to house benefits people, i tell them - instead of having 500 sent into black hole (rent money) every month, WHY not let me take out a mortgage (!!!!!) AND, rather then wasting $$$ for rent, have it ADDED to my mortgage?

Same amount - 500 a month. What difference does it make to benefit agency , paid for rent or towards mortgage?

At this point benefit worker stopped me and told me they dont do anything with mortgages.

Can i chase this through with someone like citizen advice beuro and complain and ask them to change their views / laws? Cos i really dont see the logic here, my logic is sound

:peacock:

In the US, there is an option called rent to own or lease to own that is exactly what you are looking for. The big problem with it is that you need a chunk to get started (like $5000) down payment and if you miss a few payments (usually 3)and can't get them to just cycle them to the back of the note with added interest, you loose your place. Takes about a month or so to evict you so you could almost actually pull off a grow before they kicked you out. Not sure what the UK offers in financing but there is likely some option similar as most places mortgage bankers and such are universally greedy and will figure out some way for maximum interest to flow into their pockets...

B

BrnCow

I see no fucking reason not to leverage your money to your best interest no matter where it comes from. Jealous bigots be damned!

ballplayer 2

If you dont think there are plenty homeless dying in the street you are oblivious. Probably not many dying due to starvation. I would guess most homeless die from exposure, a few probably die from disease resulting from diminished immune systems. All you need to do is consult the city morgue(especially large cities) to ask them how many homeless died from exposure over the winter.

You dont see homeless keeling over in front you so it does not happen? Give me a break. Keep checking those dumpsters, you might find one someday. More than likely someone beat you to it, and the coroner's office allows you to keep living in fantasy land.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
.... if the gov were smart they would buy the house themselves and use your benefit to pay their mortgage on their house ..thus creating value for the tax payer while increasing state housing stock

I agree. When one dies or moves to assisted living, the home would become available for the next qualified applicant.

IMO, couldn't happen in capitalist-conscious America. Even if owning something is cheaper than renting long term.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The answer would be when you cant do that anymore. Doing any of that work cases you so much pain that is drops you in tears because it hurts so much. I can say that for me my Disability income will decrease if I reach retirement age. Disability adds a few extra bucks to cover all the doc bills and meds. If I reach 65 I will get less then I do now....

My disability was caused by a auto accident I broke....My right leg and ankle,left elbow,right collar bone,compression burst fractures in L2,L3,L4,L5... Rheumatoid arthritis in my back. Degenerative disk disorder and spinal stenosis. I agree that disability is abused but how would you know who is and who's is not disabled. I had to see many doctors and provided years of medical records and was still denied benefit's. I took me about 3 years of no income to win my case with the feds..

My mom was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and was denied benefits. We both had to get lawyers to get out benefits. Here in ca in is very difficult to get permanent disability even with proof from your Doc. SSDI automatically declines all 1st time applicants they told me this when I spoke to them.

I have doc apt every month its no fun believe me. I have a apt next month to discuss disk fusion or Epidural pump.. Anywy this is all off topic.......

Disability is abused just as bad as welfare. Not saying that is the case with you Hammerhead, or the op. I have worked around many fire fighters and cops. They all seem to retire on disability at the end of their careers, so they get more money in retirement. That is just one example, but those folks do work hard for their communities, maybe they deserve it?

I just want to throw something out there:

I have a broken back with a wedge deformity. It hurts everyday just to get out of bed, let alone working construction. Just this week I hung 17 commercial doors that weigh about 150 pounds each. That includes lifting the doors on saw horses to cut them and then transfer them all around a large commercial building. Not to mention they had to be brought up the stairs to the 4th floor. (that part I had help) At what point would I be considered "disabled" and start collecting checks? To be honest, one reason I wont do this is because I make too much money in the trades, and the government wont cover the difference. However, if I wanted could I? Then the question becomes, do I really need it?

Very hard questions to answer I know, but I feel "disabled" but I "can" continue to work. Continuing to work means I will be in constant pain, but does that mean I am "disabled"?

Totally optional, but what ails the OP? Maybe Hammerhead? Just curious as to what qualifies as disabled?

Last edited:

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Dam Hammer, sorry to hear that man. If we were having a contest, you won, lol. Sucks that people like you and your mother have a hard time getting disability, but some people still manage to take advantage. Maybe that is the difference you spoke of between welfare and disability? Welfare sounds way easier to take advantage of.

As far as not being able to work because of too much pain, that happens about 2-3 weeks out of the year. I push through the pain until it gets to be too much, then I take a week off. I never cry, only when a family member is lost, but I see your point.

Lots of great counter arguments to my first statement. Thanks for teaching this old dog new tricks everybody.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its all good my friend.. My mom passed 12 years ago.. Cops and FF probably get a pension of some sort. It would not surprise me in the least that cops are abusing the system lol....

B

BrnCow

Wouldn't happen to work at Goldman Sachs, would you?

ZING...

Why would you think something like that? You need an attitude adjustment dude! Maybe you need to become Mr. Creampie instead of Mr Creosote...Hell, I haven't been laid in a few years myself...maybe I need an adjustment too!

Bullfrog44

Veteran
...Hell, I haven't been laid in a few years myself...

May I suggest the stranger? Sit on your right hand until your hand falls asleep. Then use it to do what you do, then it feels like somebody else is giving a helping hand.

Or if you have a friend try the dutch rudder....

mrcreosote

Veteran
Or if you have a friend try the dutch rudder....

Does this require certification by the US Coast Guard?