What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone got a mortgage?

T

THE PABLOS

If you are shouting "Liberal" or "Conservative"....you are totally sold on the bullshit. You are labels.

I always find it funny that when I went to school in the 70's and 80's required reading included: Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, Brave New World, 1984, and Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack.

It's either a sick joke...or someone was trying to tell us something.

When I read/hear all this Liberal/Conservative nonsense...I know the future has been made obvious to us...and the point has been lost.

Back to sleep....step away from the window

sneaky101

Liberal....I'm just going by what you have typed. If it quacks like a duck....

Ok, you didn't actually say I hated gov't, but you asked on post 34 that if I didn't like government....well, to me that implied that you thought I hated government, sorry for putting words in your mouth. That's not like me, but yet it is a lot closer to what was said than some of the things you have quoted/responded about. Not that it makes me doing something similar any more right. Guess you got me there.

Government, at least the way I have always understood it, was there to protect the people (military). And that includes economic interests, such as oil to many's disdain. To maintain infrastructure. To ensure a somewhat even playing field in business, and to stay the hell out of the way. I'm sure I missed a little, but the social issues are for the communities to figure out. It is not the responsibility of the government to protect us from ourselves. We are not 1940s Germany. There shouldn't be a Gestapo busting down people's doors and shooting their dogs just because they grow a weed, and there shouldn't be a government service buying someone a house because they are poor. Its not like I'm saying the person shouldn't own a house (even if he is British, I hope their are sensible people over there too), just that everyone else shouldn't have to buy it for them.

Kid....lol. Btw, I'm surprised it took you so long to respond...lol. That's a joke btw.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Pablos you neglect to consider what his age may be and when he served. It wasnt too long ago when we didnt have the choice whether to join or not.

I served but certainly do not have your attitude. You joined...no one made you join. Sorry you got hurt...but stop the rah rah serving your country bullshit. You joined because you wanted to. Sometimes there are repercussions for our actions.

Ok, you didn't actually say I hated gov't, but you asked on post 34 that if I didn't like government....well, to me that implied that you thought I hated government, sorry for putting words in your mouth. That's not like me, but yet it is a lot closer to what was said than some of the things you have quoted/responded about. Not that it makes me doing something similar any more right. Guess you got me there.
that's big of you to say...
---------------

Government, at least the way I have always understood it, was there to protect the people (military). And that includes economic interests, such as oil to many's disdain. To maintain infrastructure. To ensure a somewhat even playing field in business, and to stay the hell out of the way. I'm sure I missed a little, but the social issues are for the communities to figure out. It is not the responsibility of the government to protect us from ourselves.

ok, lets go with that, 2 parts to my question

1) what is your criteria for deciding what government does and doesn't do?

2) lets use a real life example: a single 40yo guy who has worked all his life earning little more than min. wage doesn't smoke or drink ...gets sick ..lets say a degenerative spine condition ...gets sacked from his job through his illness ..ends up in a wheel chair ...blows his savings on medical/bills etc ..his rent is due in 7 days ..he has 5 days worth of food left and is effectively housebound

what will happen to this guy under your version of government?

T

THE PABLOS

Pablos you neglect to consider what his age may be and when he served. It wasnt too long ago when we didnt have the choice whether to join or not.

True that...good point. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic to injury or his reasoning for serving. My 4yrs in the Corps had nothing to do with serving my country...some vets may feel different. I was a kid...and figured out the nonsense pretty quick. Did the time though...got out as soon as I could.

sneaky101

that's big of you to say...
---------------

ok, lets go with that, 2 parts to my question

1) what is your criteria for deciding what government does and doesn't do?

2) lets use a real life example: a single 40yo guy who has worked all his life earning little more than min. wage doesn't smoke or drink ...gets sick ..lets say a degenerative spine condition ...gets sacked from his job through his illness ..ends up in a wheel chair ...blows his savings on medical/bills etc ..his rent is due in 7 days ..he has 5 days worth of food left and is effectively housebound

what will happen to this guy under your version of government?

1) If the government is used as a crutch, that is bad. In my previous post I stated what I felt the government was responsible for. The government shouldn't deal with social issues IMO. Of course we are a sympathetic society. We want to help others who are less fortunate, but the government isn't/shouldn't be the answer for everything. I didn't say it clearly earlier, I want less government involvement/intrusion in my life, not another reason to invade my privacy.

2). As a smartass, I would say ask toketronix for the cash, he/she wants to help everyone! As a serious answer, it depends. Not enough details. Is this guy a veteran? If so, I would say he helped his country, his country should help him. If it is just some average joe like me, I would say there are other solutions. Family, friends, churches, privately funded out reaches, shelters, a food bank. There's other answers besides asking for help from uncle Sam. If there is no one or no organization that will not help, I would say there wasn't enough effort put into it. Sometimes life truly sucks. It's just the way it is sometimes. I hate it....I give donations to various charities. I would rather be the one who is deciding how my $ is handed out to people, not uncle Sam. Most of anything the government does is waste anyway. In order for the individual to get that money from the government it has to go through various beauracracies which costs more money which means more taxes, etc. there has to be a better way, and I don't think Sam has all the answers....I know I don't.

SoulMachete

Veteran
^^ your post doesn't make any sense ..you say you don't want government then go on to make a list of all the things you want government to do ...why can't roads, defence, police be provided by church, community or pure capitalism?

um...i think my list is one hell of a lot smaller compared to what it has become...am i mistaken?

SoulMachete

Veteran
also toke...i didn't say i didn't want government. i think i implied minimal government. sorry if i confused you.

T

THE PABLOS

FOR THE RECORD: I apologize to Pearlemae if my tone was harsh...I speak bluntly. I'm not bashing on him or his patriotism. My apology comes under no duress. Everyone is entitled to their point of view.

*You who neg rep me....should consider what you are giving out neg rep for. Turn your talk radio off...and consider what it is that made you dish out the negative feedback.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
You don't even understand the purpose of government!!!

I believe Ron Paul can sum this up pretty quick on what government roles should be. ""the proper role for government in America is to provide national defense, a court system for civil disputes, a criminal justice system for acts of force and fraud, and little else."

I am not a Ron Paul supporter, nor do I look down on him. This quote was only used to display how I feel government should run.

Snoopster

Veteran
I just realized, hubbleman must have finally gotten rid of internet explorer.
There is no way he spells "mortgage" correctly without spell check.

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
yeah h-man did a tremendous job setting this one off. the real truth is he exists on a higher plane then we and does not require assistance from anyone, government included

peace
jip

mrcreosote

Veteran
I keep checking the dumpsters for all these dead poor people...Ain't found one yet.

Damn shame too because dogfood is getting expensive.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im also a permanently disabled person and dont pay taxes on my disability. The income I receive from the feds is considered poverty level. My gross income does not even qualify to be taxed... If I had not saved up my cash to buy my home I would most likely be homeless even with the assistance I get. I dont have a Mortgage. There are millions of people that deserve these benefits.. dont get disability confused with welfare...

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Disability is abused just as bad as welfare. Not saying that is the case with you Hammerhead, or the op. I have worked around many fire fighters and cops. They all seem to retire on disability at the end of their careers, so they get more money in retirement. That is just one example, but those folks do work hard for their communities, maybe they deserve it?

I just want to throw something out there:

I have a broken back with a wedge deformity. It hurts everyday just to get out of bed, let alone working construction. Just this week I hung 17 commercial doors that weigh about 150 pounds each. That includes lifting the doors on saw horses to cut them and then transfer them all around a large commercial building. Not to mention they had to be brought up the stairs to the 4th floor. (that part I had help) At what point would I be considered "disabled" and start collecting checks? To be honest, one reason I wont do this is because I make too much money in the trades, and the government wont cover the difference. However, if I wanted could I? Then the question becomes, do I really need it?

Very hard questions to answer I know, but I feel "disabled" but I "can" continue to work. Continuing to work means I will be in constant pain, but does that mean I am "disabled"?

Totally optional, but what ails the OP? Maybe Hammerhead? Just curious as to what qualifies as disabled?

mrcreosote

Veteran
Bullfrog44,
If yer using one of these to mortise locksets, make sure it's clamped on tight.
You don't ever want to see what happens if that sucker slips.
Talk about disability...
Grisly.

81BSPCunAML._AA1500_.jpg

Hubbleman

Veteran
Dudes i had another idea. Forget the mortgage for now. Im thinking rent.

Max i can pull for rent right now is 500 a month ok.

Rent for the 2 bedroom home i want is 700.

Obviously i can not afford 700, so im thinking i could lease spare bedroom to someone for say 200!

What do you think?