What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone Else Use Purple Power to Clean Smoking Paraphernalia? Is It Still Available?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I always use dishwasher tabs and boiling water for my glass bongs. This would dev harm metals and i have cleaned aways a lot of ornaments with this but it works like a charm. Just clog the wholes, put 1/2-1 tab in the bong and fill with hot water. Sometimes there are some char like dots left that are easy to remove with a brush.
In austria we have "schmand weg" for cleaning bongs and the tabs are a cheap alternative.

That's interesting.

I use a percarbonate cleanser for my brewing equipment. I'm going to give that a shot.

I would assume that lye would work but that's nasty stuff. Cheap. Cheap nasty stuff.

You'd have to neutralize the base and then rinse the hell out of it anyway.

Maybe I should think about this in the morning 😂

Ca++

We used methyl-ethyl-ketone years ago to clean carburetors and other auto parts. That stuff was amazing. A toothbrush and some of that had an old tarnished carb looking almost new. But it was nasty stuff.

Breathing over it, even outdoors when cleaning stuff, once made me sick in a matter of moments; I suspected that it was because it was break-up (Spring time) and the thawing snow and debris in the ditch had concentrations of bacteria, etc., in it, and hovering over the MEK while cleaning parts in proximity to the ditch possibly accelerated what ever I was around making it into my lungs/system.

As amazing of a cleaner as it was for auto parts, I would've never used it on any kind of smoking paraphernalia..
We can't get MEK either. It's controlled. Miss-carrying your dinner is strong clue why. Some printer head cleaning kits used to supply a tiny bottle, so I guess it does still make in here from China. It's use in drug production is also common, but I forget which. I'm only interested in cannabis these days.

When you see the date on the side of your super bouncy shampoo, it's often written in dots of ink, sprayed there. That ink has to be tough. Yet MEK washes it away in a squirt (I have cleaned the machine many times)

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
I always use dishwasher tabs and boiling water for my glass bongs. This would dev harm metals and i have cleaned aways a lot of ornaments with this but it works like a charm. Just clog the wholes, put 1/2-1 tab in the bong and fill with hot water. Sometimes there are some char like dots left that are easy to remove with a brush.
In austria we have "schmand weg" for cleaning bongs and the tabs are a cheap alternative.
this is the first time ive ever heard of this! dish washer tabs and hot water
how long do you let it soak? do you agitate the pipes/ solution much?
brilliant!!

chilliwilli

Waterboy
this is the first time ive ever heard of this! dish washer tabs and hot water
how long do you let it soak? do you agitate the pipes/ solution much?
brilliant!!
I normally rinse with hot water, clog the wholes, put the tab in and fill with hot water from a waterboiler(not boiling but close to). Most of the time i let it sit for an hour or till the tab is dissolved since it's very hot to touch. Fill it all the way and keep some water so u could overflow the foaming with the dirt.

GenghisKush

More on ultrasonic cleaners: they're good.

Hiddenjems

Purple power is a strong alkaline degreaser and will damage soft metals if you let them soak in it.

I’ve been using a mix of purple power and tsp in my aqueous parts washer for years. Get it up to 160* and it’ll breakdown 30 year old packed on axle grease from parts.

It will also strip skin off your hands like pure bleach does.

mexweed

Veteran
I'd say the alcohol and salt bath works significantly better than the expensive shit in the bottle from the head shops.
the house I used to live in had a box in a cupboard when I moved in that had some paraphernalia type stuff including a bottle of 420 cleaner, I would say it worked maybe 60% as good as iso and salt, I pour some boiling water through my bong to get it hot and the gunk soft before I fill it with iso

troutman

Seed Whore
If in doubt put your glassware in a pot and bring to a boil for 10 minutes or so.
That will drive off any alcohol or other solvent away to a significant lower level
and set the glassware to drive afterwards.

moose eater

If in doubt put your glassware in a pot and bring to a boil for 10 minutes or so.
That will drive off any alcohol or other solvent away to a significant lower level
and set the glassware to drive afterwards.
My older son's planning t prep his glass for a trip into the Yukon Territorey and asked if the glass itself would be an issue.

I told him no, as long as there's no residue, as that constitutes possession in most places, and cross-border possession is forbidden.

I advised him that the presence of the glass, if noted, might result in a slightly more thorough search to make sure he's not bringing in any dabs or cannabis, but that on the way home to Alaska, if there's glass found, the residue takes on a greater significance, and it would certainly be apt to prompt a deeper search with US Customs at the Alaska Border.

Ever since COVID, I travel with a decent supply of isopropyl alcohol anyway, and it doesn't attract any real attention specifically because of COVID.

And sea salt isn't an odd thing to carry in the cook tote, either.

RobFromTX

My older son's planning t prep his glass for a trip into the Yukon Territorey and asked if the glass itself would be an issue.

I told him no, as long as there's no residue, as that constitutes possession in most places, and cross-border possession is forbidden.

I advised him that the presence of the glass, if noted, might result in a slightly more thorough search to make sure he's not bringing in any dabs or cannabis, but that on the way home to Alaska, if there's glass found, the residue takes on a greater significance, and it would certainly be apt to prompt a deeper search with US Customs at the Alaska Border.

Ever since COVID, I travel with a decent supply of isopropyl alcohol anyway, and it doesn't attract any real attention specifically because of COVID.

And sea salt isn't an odd thing to carry in the cook tote, either.

I thought it was legal up there? I couldnt imagine canadian customs making a big deal about it, dirty pipe or otherwise

moose eater

I thought it was legal up there? I couldnt imagine canadian customs making a big deal about it, dirty pipe or otherwise
Legal as a State in Alaska, and legal as a Country in Canada, but cross-border traffic is forbidden, even small stash, and the US Federal Customs still sees it as akin to heroin in re. to a Schedule 1 substance on the 1970 CSA.

Canada no doubt claims they are appeasing Uncle Sam's border policies by not permitting the cross-border flow into Canada, but in my somewhat educated and deservedly cynical opinion, like with most places, the governments that have legalized, primarily did so for tax revenue reasons, and if you're bringing your own stash, then they're not getting any revenue.

Guaranteed if you try to enter the Yukon Territory at Beaver Creek, Yukon, going into Canada, where they have HUGE signs telling you that importation is prohibited, and they catch you trying to bring stash (let alone larger amounts), your trip will suffer a turn-around, likely a fine, and loss of whatever dope you had.

And Canadian Customs wasn't technically law enforcement until a handful of years ago. Before that they didn't carry firearms, regular badges, etc. If there was trouble, they called the local RCMP. Now that they're Bonafide LEO, the badges, guns, and new designation often brings with it the testosterone of the benevolent dictator. Not always, but far more often than years ago when they were ordinary civil servants.

mexweed

Veteran
they should just charge an entry fee with a personal amount, $50 to bring an oz with you or something

I will say the 420 cleaner smelled better than iso, but it was kind of a soapy urinal puck type smell, and it may have worked better with an overnight soak but that would require a fairly large volume to be in contact with all surfaces

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I did a soak with hot water and PBW cleaner and it definitely loosened up a lot of bong resin... I still used salt and iso but not nearly as much and not nearly as long.

moose eater

they should just charge an entry fee with a personal amount, $50 to bring an oz with you or something

I will say the 420 cleaner smelled better than iso, but it was kind of a soapy urinal puck type smell, and it may have worked better with an overnight soak but that would require a fairly large volume to be in contact with all surfaces
Bearing in mind that since 9/11, the many different nations, to include Canada and the US, share computer data bases with each other, well beyond what they once did pre-9/11.

My guess is that if you paid a token sum to be allowed into Canada with your stash, the related report, note of fees, etc., would be available to US Customs online as well.

I'll save the space to relate experiences last year bringing a vehicle up, and the obvious 'tells' that US Customs at Alaska west of Beaver Creek, Yukon Territory clearly had a report online from the Canadian entry point near Skagway at Pleasant Camp, approximately 400 miles away..

troutman

Seed Whore
Cannabinoids aren't very water soluble even with salt.
So do the alcohol cleanup and then put everything to
boil like I mentioned above. Just pack the bong along
with other items like cookware until you cross the border.
Most Police searches are initiated by what they see or
smell.

shithawk420

Veteran
no doubt that these methods work very well,i came across a common but annoyying problem.no matter how hot i got the water it would still leave calcium residue.i had a fairly decent 5MM panzer tank joint GSpot bong,"yeah,yeah,laugh it up.it was a decenct bong though.but no matter what i couldnt get the calcium out.anyway the glass site that i lurked, cant name hear just because said use Grunge Off.anyway its the only think ive found to get those expensive bongs looking like new.its not cheap.if you got a cheap pipe use iso and salt.if you got a $500 heady pipe,get grunge off.trust my

Cvh

Supermod
I use boiling water and powerful glass bottles cleaning agents I bought from an online homebrewery webshop.

Might be a tip to check out homebrewery (online) stores.

Hiddenjems

The best method I’ve found for glass only is brake clean to get the big chunks off, then boiling in a small pot with dishwasher packs in the water. They have a fine grit in them with degreasers that polish the glass clean.

Latest posts

Latest posts