What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cleaning a dirty pipe - the EASY way

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
We all know the pain of cleaning smoking accessories. The smoke residue is stinky, sticky and generally pretty disgusting.

There is an easy solution:

ecmachine.jpg

A really dirty pipe . . .

dirtypipe.jpg

Basically, the unit electronically vibrates the crud away. To help it along, you can put it in an alcohol bath. Here are the dirty pipes in Isopropyl in a plastic container. This is the ‘lab approved’ cheat so you don’t have to fill the whole machine with solvent. The rest of the machine has water. I set the heat to 50C and cleaned them for 20 minutes. This left a carbon-like residue on the dirtiest one, so I ran the machine with dish soap and water at hot tap temperature for another 20. I have some learning to do to smooth out the process.

But, the end result speaks for itself . . .

clean.jpg

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
And I forgot the best part . . . it was a Christmas gift from my son & future daughter-in-law. She uses one in the lab at university. And she just got her doctorate!

You can also clean jewellery, car parts etc etc with it.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Sounds like a great way! Altrough the device is quite big good it u use it for other stuff too.
Any ideea if hot water alone would do any cleaning? Also does it work with pipes that don't open, like glass one hitters?

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Any ideea if hot water alone would do any cleaning? Also does it work with pipes that don't open, like glass one hitters?

Good questions but I don't know. I will have to dirty my pipe for a few days and experiment some more. The sacrifices that we make for science . . . :rasta:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I've been ising a compact jewellery clnr

They are the same principle. This is just an industrial stainless steel version aimed at commercial users. But it is < $200 Canadian funny money for 6 liter capacity. The only unknown question is . . . how will handblown glass do in it? Is it more delicate? Ultrasonic frequencies can do some weird things. I will try my Happle as an experiment.

FranJan

Sounds like a great way! Altrough the device is quite big good it u use it for other stuff too.

Cheapest, easieast way I know is plastic bag, vodka, ice and salt. Soak pipe with ingredients in bag and let hang over night in fridge. Rinse when done. Clogged pipes may need to be done twice but I've never seen it not work on any glass pipe.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thank you! I was using the bag technique with high proof alcohool and salt, but didn't know the fridge part. Gotta try it!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Nope! Alcohol. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts