What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anybody crafty?

buckeye-leaf

cannabis enthusiast
Veteran
HellBoy said:
Did I mention, I also do a little sculpting??? :D

922snowblower.jpg

LOL!! ... please... I take some getting used to, ladies... I'm harmless enough!! :D ...really!!

nice snowman heres another one

SneakySneaky

Veteran
HellBoy said:
hey folks..

Thought I would show a sample of my work...

I paint.. (watercolors... Pat O'Brians courtyard bar in New Orleans (BEFORE Katrina!)

922PatO_Brians2-med.jpg

HellBoy

i miss old new orleans, i got a Pat O's souvenier glass in my cubbard, i was at my house drunk off a bottle of captain morgans when katrina hit and destroyed everything, was drunk when it put the tree through my house, and i got a beer in my hand right now, the world is correct :woohoo:

gwfh1974

I'm a lil crafty too...

I'm a lil crafty too...

pieceofmyheart said:
crafty huh?

well show us your wares :wave:
:lurk:
Hey there ladies :wave:
I posted these in my ? for help but thought sharin them here would be better...

Just a few of what I do. :wave: :friends:

B

bonecarver_OG

nice. :D

used to do earings and such also ages ago when i was a travelling hippie. they were easy to sell to the ladies.

i allways liked using semiprecious stones and silver beads. that makes it possible to sell simple things a bit more expensive.

i didnt like buying the ready made hooks for earings so i made my own. the earings with blue stone is silver and lapis lazuli.

peace

gwfh1974

Thanks

Thanks

bonecarver_OG, and pieceofmyheart :wave:
Thank you, made about 15 more pairs yesterday, I think. :chin: I'm tryin to get ready to go to the local flea market.
bonecarver_OG :respect: very nice yourself. I love using the stone chips and silver too. I used to go to Dead shows and sell them in the parking lot, well I think I traded more than sold. :biglaugh: :tongue:
I just got a lot of coconut shell beads personally delivered from Thailand by my mother, in black and brown. I can't wait to load a fatty bowl and get those creative juices flowing. I'll share again soon my IC :friends: :smoker:
:kitty:

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
I found this little chair at the flea market for 10 bucks. It had some ugly material on it, but it was different looking. Kinda wide like a two seater but short like a kid's chair. But I liked it so, I plan on sanding it and seeing what it looks like under the stain and decide what to do from there.

Then I find this nice piece of deep brown leather at the fabric store, it was a remnant. It is very soft and pliable, nice leather, so I am doing the seat cover with it.

Last edited:

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hows the chiar coming POHM??...have you been working on it??....I love to do that kind of stuff, just dont have the time these days....I use to crochet and needlepoint and I even had a stint with North Beach Leather, used to sew for that company, I will do that stuff again someday....let us know how its coming :D

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
I have, thanks for asking. I sanded on it a good bit this weekend. It is just some cheap wood, but I think it is going to look good when I finish sanding and stain it.
Took a pic with a chair to show the size, it's different. It only stands 30 inches tall but the seat is 25 inches wide at the front.

I have the leather on here, the gold tacks on the left will go on the corners.

I have decided to put a piece of batting on this back part and cover it with leather also and place a tack on each corner.

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

ive done a lot of antigue furniture restoring - its fun and hardwork.

to not to have to sand that long time - there is a smoother way to get the stains and old varnish etc out:

* us an acid gel paint remover - these products dont harm the wood, but lifts the paint of the surface - u just rub with a fine caliber steel-wool ball in the direction of the grain of the wood. (tip - never sandpaper or rub or even paint against the grain direction.)

remember - sandpaper normally remove a great part of the layer of wood used in those specific types of furniture - since its not solid wood - its glued panels - where only the outmost panel is of a nice wood - that layer is normally max 5mm thick - so go easy on the sanding mate - or u will ruin it.

depending on what kind of finish u want u can use different antigue technics for treating the wood.

that one there i would first give a humidfying treatment to bring out the luster of the grain ofthe wood. after that give it a treatment with natural laquer or polyurethane - depending on desired surface gloss. i prefeer laquer - it takes alot of work but gets really nice looking and high gloss.

have fun.

Last edited:

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
^ thanks dear

Bonecarver, my husband said the same thing! I messed with that gel stuff on a table I refinished and the smell was just so strong I didn't want to use it again.
I am finished with my sanding so I need to decide what to do now. I don't really want a shiny finish, with the leather on it, I want a more rustic look.

Thanks for the comments.

B

bonecarver_OG

just give it a linnen oil treatment - that will bring out the grain. and give it a nice look.

u can mix the linnen oil with 96% alcohol to make it get into the wood better.

u can also use wax to give a rustic treatment to the wood.

i realize this is a girls thread - so im going to make my visit really short not to ofend anyone. :D (since im not really suposed to be here :D )

peace and take care.