What's new

Any new vertical setups?

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Here is my vertical T-8 shop light flowering chamber. I have 512W with 16 total tubes, 12 of which are daylight spectrum and 4 of which are warm white.

I veg the plants with top-down light, but then switch them to all side-lighting in the flowering chamber.

Here is a shot from 4-27-2009, day 29 of 12/12:
picture.php

Here is the right side of my flowering chamber with the cover open. The big viney plant in the back is Purple Haze, and the mountain of leaves in the front is Trainwreck X Colombian Gold. These shots are from 5-14-2009, day 46 of 12/12:
picture.php

This next one is also from 5-14-2009, day 46 of 12/12. Both plants are Trainwreck X Sour Diesel, rear one being more sativa, and the front plant being slightly more indica. I call them by Indica or Sativa, but they're really both pretty clear sativas:
picture.php

Still not sure how long they have to go, but I posted some cola shots in my grow diary if anyone wants to chime in.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
magiccannabus that is a sick setup you got there! Nice way to grow Sativa dominate strains, Love it, how long ya got left?

Jack Bensa I'm loving your setup to, i would love to do something like yours only I'm an organic soil grower :( meby one day tho. I take it you can only grow Indica dominate strains in your system? Whatcha growing?

Man I CAN'T wait to get my setup off the ground!

HGO

magiccannabus

Veteran
Thanks man. I am really not sure how long I have left. I'm on day 49 of 12/12 right now. They're in relatively small pots, so I have been feeding them tea fairly often. I use something called kinetin. It is in Bonide's "Tomato & Blossom Set Spray", which is available at Ace Hardware among other places. It fights the sativa stretch, and I have heard about problems with it, especially with Indicas, but I have personally never had any harm come of using it. It really reigned in my stretch problems. I ended up with only a 30% stretch on my Trainwreck X Sour Diesels, and a mere 15% on my Purple Haze, and maybe 40% on the Trainwreck X Colombian Gold(which was not sprayed at all due to how short it is). Bear in mind, when my friends have grown Purple Haze, the stretch was usually more like 300%. I can't say enough good about kinetin.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Hey MC I haven't heard of Kinetin before man, but I know a few people that use Bush Master and swear by it http://www.4hydroponics.com/nutrients/bushMaster.asp

I've also read online that with vertical lighting the stretch seems to slow down a little but this was with HID lighting where the grower stopped pulling the light up and the stretch slowed down alot, you got some nice strains there SD is KILLER, I just got a SD X ChemDog DD so I'm excited about that and I'm hoping to get another ChemDog cross this week. 2 many strains 2 little time 8-]

magiccannabus

Veteran
Kinetin is amazing stuff, works like Bushmaster, only way safer, and no mystery ingredients. Kinetin is a lot cheaper too.

I have noticed the light helped on the stretch a lot, it really spread the stretch out quite a bit. My next wave of clones will be more carefully pruned to take best advantage of this. Not sure how long I have left to go though, going to post new bud shots in my grow diary right after I finish typing this. All the strains really have me excited, though I think my "indica" Sour Diesel x Trainwreck is going to be the massive yielder of the bunch. I think all of them will have their uses in my various smoking devices :) I wish I knew more about my genetics though. I got them all from friends who got them from friends. The Trainwreck crosses come from a friend who is buddies with an old hippie who has been growing for decades. That fact, combined with the way they are growing leads me to believe they are what they say they are, but which exact strain of Sour Diesel was used, I don't know. I'm 99% certain that the Trainwreck is genuine Arcata though, and you can really see that on the Trainwreck x Colombian Gold. As for Purple Haze, I know it was a clone-only that got back-crossed to make seeds, and that it came from a growers co-op. I don't know much about it other than that. I know a lot of strains are called "Purple Haze", but this thing is clearly a haze of some kind, and any haze is a good smoke!

If you want to swing by my grow diary that would be great, I really am going to need help figuring out when they're done. This style of growing is so different than anything I've done before.....

boroboro

Nice setup, Jack! Is that built like 2 cascading spirals of pipe? Feed once for each loop at the top and let nutrients flow down to the bottom?

It seems like I saw something similar to this by Heath Robinson, IIRC. He also had a 'gate' at the end of each level tham maintained a water depth inside each row of plants.

Jack Bensa

Nice setup, Jack! Is that built like 2 cascading spirals of pipe? Feed once for each loop at the top and let nutrients flow down to the bottom?

It seems like I saw something similar to this by Heath Robinson, IIRC. He also had a 'gate' at the end of each level tham maintained a water depth inside each row of plants.

It has only one spiral with five levels,feed from the top and water drains back from the beginning and cycle start again.Contionuous flow 24h.
I dont use any "dam" for water level,there is maybe 1-2cm water on the bottom all the time.When the root grows there is little more.
I can also change tubes angle to raise or lower water depth.

I have seen Heath works but mostly every thing starts from Northern Farmers stadium set ups.

This one which i build is much smaller than my usual setups.In few weeks i build another one next to that one so i can flip flop my lights.