What's new

Any new vertical setups?

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Vermiculite is my favorite cloning medium right now. I think its equally as good as coco, but you can wash the vermiculite off and then cut the tap root to even out clone development. Even canopy = more bud.

rr14 said:
I thought of doing a scrog setup with a u shaped screen around cool tubes with a wing above it to at least reflect upward shooting light back at the plants. I didn't get too far beyond planning it but did figure I could almost double the screen area if I did it right. In addition, no area of the screen was going to be further than 18" from the light. Well, maybe some day....

But I'd love to do a vertical "coluseum" style grow (not in a coluseum, but vertically like one.

My hydro shop has a wheel on display, so that's what got me thinking about vertical again.

Like this?:

It was a great idea, but I had issues with rootbind in #5 pots. Very efficient concept in my opinion. It's a 400 in a 4" pyrex with a diy batwing painted flat white.

highonpottery
if you hung that light vertically and wrapped that screen around the bulb i bet you would double your canopy. that is the reason for bending it right? would probably run cooler too. looks nice though! good job.

rr14

Actually, that is almost exactly what I was looking for with the differences being:

600 watt light
5 1/2 foot "U"
-about 18" up the walls on the sides.

Awesome work! I was thinking about using 3 600's in cool tubes in a 4 by 8 hydrohut (well darkroom after HH's problems).

How wide is your setup for reference?

Pig-Pen

I've got a couple great Vertical Grow ideas

One, you have several large plants tightly arranged circularly around a vertically hanging bulb. The twist, so to speak, is that each plant is on a turntable that rotates it say, one revolution/24hrs. This way each plant gets full, even, more "natural" exposure.

The other is a V-Mod-ScrOG. Same arrangement as above, but rather than the plants rotating, each has a vertical trelis panel. Think an octagon, but each side is a separate vertical screen for one plant.

I think both of these allow for maximum production and efficiency while keeping plants numbers down. They also allow for vegging elsewhere so you aren't wasting flower time vegging in the bloom room Also you can run either one as a perpetual harvest; one plant a week or whatever.

:kos:

Last edited:

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I have done horizontal regular grows tree style in the past and just a year and a half ago changed to vertical. The increase in yield was huge! Now it is the only way I grow. Here are some pictures of my second to last grow. The last grow I didn't take any pictures but learned that a little smaller plants and a few less actually produced more bud in the end.

One thing to keep in mind is you need more space per 1000 watter than usual as your plants will be surrounding your lights. Usually a vertical grow does much better yield wise if you have multiple bulbs. I have used the same strain for years and have done almost every style and find this works the best for me. Any questions on my set up don't hesitate to ask.

TGT

bobblehead

Veteran
TGT, roughly how much space do you put between the lamp and the plants?

I had a 1k MH on a mover to start off with, with about 1-2ft between it and the plants. It was burning pistils until I bought a dual fan to blow air over it. The fan is great, it's one unit, with two 8"? fans that you can adjust to blow in just about any direction. It keeps the bulb cool over the entire 3ft area of travel. It only cost me $13 on clearance at Wal-Mart!

Last week I replaced the MH w/ high bay ballast with a 1k HPS EYE w/ Sun System VI ballast, and all I can say is WOW!!! Everything about it is better. Longer, thinner lamp, better light dispursment, easier to cool, more light...

I just need to find the cord to connect my camera to the computer, and I'm gonna post up some pics.

Grizz

Veteran
Of all the systems I have seen and used the stadium like norhern farmers suits me the best. increased yields , more plants and clones to take care of but the results I got were outstanding. I really liked the work space down the middle.

ReeferDan

here is my "micro vertical grow" inspired by northern farmers thread and my 2 150w hps lamps!

The pictures were taken right after i had watered, so i had taken them off of their racks that hold them up next to the lights. I understand they get better light like that and thats the way they always are (raised up so they are next to the lights). Just not in the pics! haha
I can fit 8 1gal soil pots in there and once i get it dialed in it will be proper. Ideally i can yield 14-28g per plant, and that would end up being 4-8 ounces per harvest from 2 150w hps. Last grow i f'd up a bunch and had gangs of problems and picked the wrong plant to grow (bushy vs. SOG single cola) and averaged 12g per plant, (before i had to toss a bunch of PM infested bud) still was a nice harvest for my first run with the cab though.

Dimensions are 29"high, 30" wide, 22" deep inside the cab. Plants sit a perfect 4" or so from the bulbs so they are right in the sweet spot of the 150hps and temps can go as high or low as i want em. I have my 4" vortex at about 1/3 power with a speedster controller and temps sit right at 78*F while the lights are on.

Last edited:

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
bobblehead said:
TGT, roughly how much space do you put between the lamp and the plants?

I usually keep the plants at about 18 inches away. I am just guessing as I have never measured it before. I just go by eye usually or use the back of my hand to feel the heat. Sometimes I use a small fan that can pivot upward and place it on the floor directly under the HPS bulb. This way the wind blows past the bulb carrying the heat up to the ceiling and away from the plants. Doing this I can get the plants much closer - I would say within a foot without burning. I seen this from someone here on ICMag or Planet Ganja, I am not sure. They also used a chicken wire enclosure around the bulb so that the leaves from the plant would not touch the bulb. I don't use the chicken wire, but I could see it being very helpful as I always have to watch the leaves don't grow into the bulb. I guess it could be a fire hazzard if left alone for a long period of time without the wire enclosure, but I am around all the time.

I too agree with Joesy Whales about the stadium grow done by Northern Farmer being the most efficient. I think it is one step above the verticle grow I do, but personally I have not tried it myself. I can see it has great potential and I will be doing one in the very near future.

TGT

WormSlayer

Not sure why I wasnt before, but I am now allowed to post links, here are some pics of my new vertical setup during construction:

I now have 80 babies starting out in there, but image uploading seems to be disabled so I cant show pics of those :(

blackrome

I've been searching around for Vertical Grow Reports myself.

I found these two.

http://forums.cannabisculture.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1395173&fpart=1

It's by Green Bastard. He pulled down over 4lbs with 2 1000 wt lights.

Here is another.

http://www.rollitup.org/grow-room-design-setup/41222-vertical-2-000watts-6lbs-13.html

This one wasn't finished but you can see how they set up the room.

They were shooting for 6lbs with 2 1000 HPS in a cool tube.

They may update date it but it look like they were close.

I'm doing my research now. This seems the way to go.

Last edited:

Grizz

Veteran
they all look good but I don't see any that will match the simple setup of the stadium.

WormSlayer

I'm not knocking the stadium setup, but going truly vertical (or horizontal like the omega garden) your plants are more uniformly distant from the lights, and your covering more area with plant matter?

rr14

currently I'm thinking of doing something similar to worm slayer except in a 4 foot 11" square dark room. High rise hydroponics does something similar in the hydro hut except I'm going to keep it pretty simple and use a setup like above.

I tried the Norther farmer version. Well it didnt work too well for me. All in all i had lots of fluffy light bud that wasnt worth much. I think the most important thing that I learned from my stadium vert was that they really need to be small plants. I think mine were too big and couldnt get what they needed. Now on the other side my veg room is vert and is kicking ass. So what i have done was use the veg room where the plants grow great and get big and bushy. Alot fits in there. More than I need. Its really amazing. I may try the vert thing again in flower but with small clones that are mabey 10-15 days in veg max. I dont have any pics to share but mabey later.
Good luck that vert pic looks tight.