ICMag Donor
Veteran
My bad saying CaMg

Epsom salt is Mg only, which is the deficiency my plants were experiencing

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just got my order of RO formula & chris threw in a good sized sample of the HD in there for me . yeah i could go back & do some reading ..... but i'm stoned & lazy :biggrin:

what is the HD consist of ? i think i remember its a mix of 2 different formulas ...... dirty & tap maybe ??? the writing on the lable is so freakin small i can't read it with my glasses on & i can't find anything on the website yet .....
what have i got here guys ????

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wattup peoples....

1st off let me say...dayum,this is one wild ass read of a thread...pretty hostile in here hahaaaa...

i was going to wait until i finished the thread until i posted but
when i started reading it was 106 pages and still keeps growing i think it'd be better not to wait.

after reading about 110 pages i decided to go ahead and order me some Veg + Bloom,and the rest of the line up....

shout out to TP for breaking the thread down to the good info on page 101....that post alone should be a sticky....

what i ordered from Hydroponic Research today was...
5# of v+b r.o formula....
5# of the dirty formula....
some +life,
and some + size....
i guess u can say i went all in...
not from reading this thread alone
but also from asking some of the peeps that i KNOW
that are in this thread and are using it if its the truth.....and they said yes,so im going for it...

i didnt bother w the free samples because i dont think ill be able to see what i want with one run
and also my room would eat 100 grams up like babyfood....i think.

so while im waiting for my goodies to arrive i was wondering if
you guys could help me out w some of the questions i still have before i use it...

1st ill explain my set up...i have threads on here also if u want to check them out.

i run 8k in flower....
i have t5's over all my mamas and i have a 1k in a raptor hood that i veg 1 gallon pots under....
i clone and keep cups under regular shop flouros...

i hand water with wand and a hose hooked to a sup pump

for medium i use fox farm ocean forest with perlite,lime,and earth worm castings added in...
ive been doin K.I.S.S. with maxibloom and koolbloom,
also a little this and that if the ladies show me they need it.

i want to say that i have been CRUSHING IT for quite a few years with this method
but recently i have had quite a few issues...
the city i live in had a bad water issue and ever since the water hasnt been the same,
i could not get clones to root for over 2 months,and my grow was like shit...
i got an r.o unit and things are turned around as far as quality and roots growing,
but i think my nutes arent responding to the r.o like they did the regular tap water...
before the issues.

im sorry this is such a long read,bare with me :D

anyways,ive been looking for nutes tuned towards the r.o water and thats what led me here...
im going to switch to promix next round but i have like 6 bags of ffof on hand already
so ill probably mix it in w the promix....

so i guess my 1st few questions are....

what is the + life for?
from my understanding its for root growth?
and is there a cut off point for it in veg?

when do i use the + size and when do i cut it out?

are the E.C. and P.H levels for soil the same as the coco/rokwool kats? (i know w all other nutes soil is higher)
and IcB is running them pretty good strength..

the reason i decided to go w promix is because im already in soil,
i like it,and it seems like IcBuds is having some nice results in it....

ICBuds do you ammend your promix with anything?

im sorry if this info gets covered later in the thread but like i said im only at page 110...
shits on the way so i figure if i start picking your brains for some knowledge now i can be ready to hit the ground running when they arrive.

thanks in advance for any and all advice,tips,info,etc...

peace-T-

Last edited:
I'm using promix. non amended. feed EC 1.4-1.7 ph 5.8-6.2. started using the HD version recently. +size weeks 3-6. make sure to walk down feed at the end and work in a good flush every 2-3 feedings to avoid salt build ups. 2nd year using it now and love it.

Tonatiuh

ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks organiclover...
i was starting to think i killed the thread with my long ass post.:D

since im thinking of mixing the promix with the fox farm ocean forest i already have on hand do u think feed the same to start off?

also was wondering just to double check....with the r.o formula im gonna use in veg,and 1st week of flower,do i need to add cal mag back?

also will i need to add it back(the cal/mag) with the dirty formula?

thanks again.

peace-T-

slowandeasy

Veteran
Can I give you some advice? Ditch the Ffof and go straight Canna Coco. coco yields better and Fox Farm is Notorious for coming with Free Bugs. Make sure that is not an issue. Good luck

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'd have to agree with slow&easy's advice ..... FFOF is shit !!! junk food for plants loaded with critters .
or if ya like the promix , go with sunshines advanced coir .... its 55% coco & the rest is peat, perilite & bene's .

Grow4Flow

My bad saying CaMg

Epsom salt is Mg only, which is the deficiency my plants were experiencing

PetFlora,
I had equivalent of 1kw in those Amara lights, they demanded way too much Mg, after three weeks of making adjustments i finally took them down and went back to my Gavitas, wasted grow time for me, hope it works out for you.

Tonatiuh

ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the responses fellaz....
i agree the ffof is inconsistent as hell and ive been gifted fungus gnats a few times along w my soil lol.
ive been wanting to make a switch for a while but ive been using it so long,creature of habit you know?
its not that i like the promix in particular (never used it yet) but i like soil so i thought id give that a try.
ive never grown in coco,dont have drippers,and dont have time to be hand watering 2-3-4 times a day atm.i would maybe do a pot or 2 in it for an experiment but i cant see doing a whole light w it not knowing if im gonna fumble in the new medium or not.i wouldnt want to fumble a whole light.

as far as the critters go,i havnt seen any at all,ive been leaning on them w my scopes too, but havnt seen any eggs,or crawlers at all.i have a few funky leafs on one plant but it is clean of bugs and as far as i can see the soil is clean too.

yo Dan,with that sunshine mix would i need to water it several times a day too?
and if i did decide to play with coco in a few pots,whats a good brand to get,one that i wont have to rinse and flush and all that BEFORE i can even use it?

im thinking drippers are in my future either way now that i can run them w these nutes once i get them dialed...once the drippers are in effect i can play w different mediums.

thanks again.
good thread,glad i found it.
peace-T-

RicoT

I use the bricked shit by Botnicare.. Although flushing it might seem like a chore, it's really not. Even for someone as lazy as I am…
And once you switch it'll be REALLY hard to go back to soil..

OrganicFarmer

ICMag Donor
Veteran
try not to go over 1.0 or 1.1 EC ..... 500 to 550 TDS

In flower i max out at 1.4 EC ..... 700TDS

I ran the dirty in RO up to 1.0 EC and fed it. I also dialed up from 750 to 1000 on the hps. Will try to get it up to the super lumen setting in few days.

Medium Pimpin'

Ask Beavis, I Get Nothing Butt Head
Veteran
i use bagged cocogro by botanicare in the beds. never had to rinse it.
i've used/use whatever they have in veg tho.
some moisture control ready gro i think, doesn't make a difference to me.
non ammended stuff is just a base and the plants eat what you feed them.
same shit for sunshine mix, ive used that too.
just feed at a hydro medium ph and be good, i shoot for 5.8, but swing from 5.5 - 6.1.
blumats ftw!.
coco w/ v&b will amaze you.
and fuck 5 gallon pails, u can grow monsters in 1-2 gallon w/ proper moisture.

just try a few girls off to the side and see if it's for you.
u can even rip out the rootball when done and stuff a new plant in and reuse the coco if need be.
it's the route i go in the beds.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yo Dan,with that sunshine mix would i need to water it several times a day too?
and if i did decide to play with coco in a few pots,whats a good brand to get,one that i wont have to rinse and flush and all that BEFORE i can even use it?

im thinking drippers are in my future either way now that i can run them w these nutes once i get them dialed...once the drippers are in effect i can play w different mediums.

thanks again.
good thread,glad i found it.
peace-T-

at first i'd stick with straight coco preferably bagged coco ( canna , black gold , cocogro by botanicare , basicly 90% of the bagged loose coco ) , its alot cleaner & easier to use .
pots thats up to you , but for good roots & air flow i'd go with the smart pots (any fabric pot really ) .

drippers are the shit when it comes to feeding coco , they're cheap & easy to set up . if ya have any questions , just hit me up here or by PM .

any coco , you start out in veg like ya would with soils , it needs that dry time for roots to expand , once the roots are established in the pots , thats when you can start feeding every day . if they don't have a good root system yet , you can overwater them .

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use bagged cocogro by botanicare in the beds. never had to rinse it.
i've used/use whatever they have in veg tho.
some moisture control ready gro i think, doesn't make a difference to me.
non ammended stuff is just a base and the plants eat what you feed them.
same shit for sunshine mix, ive used that too.
just feed at a hydro medium ph and be good, i shoot for 5.8, but swing from 5.5 - 6.1.
blumats ftw!.
coco w/ v&b will amaze you.
and fuck 5 gallon pails, u can grow monsters in 1-2 gallon w/ proper moisture.

just try a few girls off to the side and see if it's for you.
u can even rip out the rootball when done and stuff a new plant in and reuse the coco if need be.

it's the route i go in the beds.

yup , i use the same pots 3x before i toss the coco . its saved me a bundle in coco & canna even tells you on the site to reuse it 3x before ya chuck it .

Tropical Rain

Haze, Kush & Grey Goose
Veteran
Rockin the dirty in coco for a while now (for veg) since my move.
Can't complain. Stable PH with shitty water to boot.
Actually have ran the EC up to 2.0 a few times with no ill effects.
One thing I've been wondering whatever happened to the gatorade smell?

jayjayfrank

Veteran
the gatorade smell was in the original 'red' formula, maybe the carbohydrates?(or electrolytes!)

at first it was red, then green and now blue, and the dirty formula blue black, havnt seen hd yet.

the +size smell like hand lotion tho...

as long as you have timed watering you should be able to get away with no bigger then 2-3 gallon pot size if its 100%coco media.