What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another school shooting

CaptainDankness

Gypsy c'mon, you know as well as I do that if they had the gun control we have they'd have very similar stats on gun deaths...

Yet they are calling for knife control in the UK as the murder rate in London is higher than New York City. LMAO

Guns make for a more polite society. :tiphat:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Having had the opportunity to live and work in the USA in the past for around 5 years I can understand this argument from both sides of the Atlantic...

Us British never grew up in a country where guns are as prevalent as hammers or knives. We mostly were not taught the use of a firearms at an early age, unless our Fathers were farmers or bank robbers.The right to bear arms is not written into any British constitution that I know of........and so the conditions for disarming the USA compared to the UK are far different, and much, much more complicated....

You don't really understand do you that what being an American is all about to many Americans is based on their perception of freedom and liberty.........and the ability to DEFEND that once its got, and their choice of personal weapon to defend themselves..... is a gun.
Gypsy c'mon, you know as well as I do that if they had the gun control we have they'd have very similar stats on gun deaths...

Aye all these mass shooting in the US have absolutely nothing to do with guns being so freely available! What you need is more guns, What a seriously fucked up country and people

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran

Maybe so......but getting it will probably kill millions in a civil war along the way.

Yet they are calling for knife control in the UK as the murder rate in London is higher than New York City. LMAO

True, savage people are gonna find a way to kill each other while the majority of humanity is still in this feudal/tribal evolutionary stage, if it ain't with a gun it'll be the knife or speeding vehicle or one of a thousand ways to kill.

Aye all these mass shooting in the US have absolutely nothing to do with guns being so freely available! What you need is more guns, What a seriously fucked up country and people

If you try and remove the guns from registered owners, and succeed in doing that somehow (unlikely), then all the real bad guys will have several 'Hey Days'......as they rob, loot, rape and shoot their way thru society unhindered by anyone that had the power of a gun to fight back.

CaptainDankness

What's really fucked up is, even with all these guns NYC is safer than London. :laughing:

I haven't met too many British but I'm sure for the most part they ain't fucked up people. I could be wrong but they do seem more normal than Jamaican people with some of the worst murder rates in the world and guns are illegal. Though parts of Jamaica ain't too bad.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
To the school shootings, Moose made the key point about bullying and had personal experience. Most all of us have seen childhood bullying or even been a victim. At this stage in life some of these words and actions can be perceived as damaging as the guns by the bullied. Not trying to rationalize the reaction, but only to dig into it. Kids who witness bullying are probably not likely to think about the potential damage or consequences to the behavior taking place or how far the escalation could go.

It really goes back to mental health. The subject needs to be taken seriously with resources, education, funding and understanding. These things must be noticed and dealt with way before it gets to the point of madness. Both bullies and victims need to be brought back on course early.

Spaventa

Veteran
What's really fucked up is, even with all these guns NYC is safer than London. :laughing:

I haven't met too many British but I'm sure for the most part they ain't fucked up people. I could be wrong but they do seem more normal than Jamaican people with some of the worst murder rates in the world and guns are illegal. Though parts of Jamaica ain't too bad.

Have a look at the demographics of the areas of London affected and you will soon see that British people are not the ones doing it.

I don't consider immigrants or their children British, whatever the passport office hand them. If you don't speak English, live entirely in a immigrant community and follow a foreign culture, your not British, whatever anyone tells you. These are the people responsible for the violent crime figures in London. This is why they correlate perfectly with immigration figures. We already have too much gun control and it doesn't prevent it. What we need is immigration control, which currently we do not have.

St. Phatty

Not true.

America is starting from a very different situation. 300+ million firearms, about 1/2 of which are semi-auto handguns and rifles.

There is a bill in my state to adopt firearm laws that are stricter than California. What I am hearing from people who have police friends is, "NO WAY" those police friends will obey an order to disarm their neighbors.

Of course, the police managers can always find a SWAT team to do their dirty work.

American police, even with all their weapons, are simply out-gunned by American citizenry. And many of those owning semi-auto's are older Veterans.

Whether the attempted dis-arming of some of those citizens will result in Civil War, or simply the beginning of state secession, is TBD.

As an aside, it's relatively simple to convert a semi-auto to bolt action, by modifying the weights of buffer (weights) and the strength of buffer springs, and by using an adjustable gas block.

P

Pinnate

What we need is immigration control, which currently we do not have.
But failing that, as it's bound to fail, an open society where racism is absolutely not tolerated might mean that these black and brown kids could actually pursue their dreams like the rest of us instead of existing on the feral fringes where violent gang-culture and lawlessness is seen as a survival strategy...

Spaventa

Veteran
The sad thing is that a good proportion of those gun owners will not resist disarmament. Just the prospect of a confrontation will be enough for most to hand them in. People are law abiding mostly and will submit. Those left will then be on the losing side. It’s always those among us who lead us to our downfall.

CaptainDankness

Have a look at the demographics of the areas of London affected and you will soon see that British people are not the ones doing it.

I don't consider immigrants or their children British, whatever the passport office hand them. If you don't speak English, live entirely in a immigrant community and follow a foreign culture, your not British, whatever anyone tells you. These are the people responsible for the violent crime figures in London. This is why they correlate perfectly with immigration figures. We already have too much gun control and it doesn't prevent it. What we need is immigration control, which currently we do not have.

Well if you look at the demographics in America where the most murders happen it's mostly black and Latino neighborhoods. But if we say anything about people of color it's racist even though it's true. Of course America is a bit different as we have every nationality in abundance, though minorities ain't that big of an issue as Asians probably commit the least amount of crime.

Also if we look past demographics we can clearly see guns are not the problem as guns are not very easy to access in the UK. Though I'm sure the actual British would love to have guns to protect themselves from violent immigrants just like Americans.

We have drawing Muhammad contests just to piss off crazy Muslims, but they won't do anything like they did in France because we are armed, an armed society is a polite society. Can't have the first amendment without the second amendment.

Spaventa

Veteran
Well if you look at the demographics in America where the most murders happen it's mostly black and Latino neighborhoods. But if we say anything about people of color it's racist even though it's true. Of course America is a bit different as we have every nationality in abundance, though minorities ain't that big of an issue as Asians probably commit the least amount of crime.

Also if we look past demographics we can clearly see guns are not the problem as guns are not very easy to access in the UK. Though I'm sure the actual British would love to have guns to protect themselves from violent immigrants just like Americans.

We have drawing Muhammad contests just to piss off crazy Muslims, but they won't do anything like they did in France because we are armed, an armed society is a polite society. Can't have the first amendment without the second amendment.

For some its very easy to get a firearms licence on which you can own shotguns, centre fire rifles and rimfire semi autos. The only thing is you have to either be an active sports shooter with a club OR own land or have written permission to shoot on land - then you can have guns. Those with land will only give permission to pest controllers who will work for them for free in exchange for game.

Basically, the rich made it so only they can have guns.
I hate what my country has become. I have almost no love left for my home where I was born because its been ruined and I cant see it being fixed. The problems are too big and too many. I despise the royal family, the political class and the popular culture - its ALL shit.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Then there is the old chestnut of an argument that an armed society is a safer society, because it can form militia's to defend itself or overthrow a presiding government in the event that was needed....

Our societies have always been armed and weapons used to defend them....We are not yet past the evolutionary stage where we feel safe without weapons to help make us feel safe......it would be nice to live in a world without them, but sadly that is not the reality ...and if you fall into that way of thinking too much, then you are more likely to be the victim of the inherent barbarity that man/woman - kind still possesses and puts into practice regularly.

Indeed! A 'polite' society that seems to value its gun-rights more than it values the lives of innocent children???

Last edited:

CaptainDankness

Indeed! A 'polite' society that seems to value its gun-rights more than it values the lives of innocent children???

What about the 800,000 children who are kidnapped every year?? Yeah, I care so much for my child I will kill for her and really anyone elses if I see a kidnapping go down.

A few kids gunned down in a school is nothing compared to 800,000 kidnappings, even if half of those children are safe that's still 400,000 children in a fucked up spot. Much worse than the few school shootings we have.

Not to mention a crazy kid can steal a school bus and run down 100 people at a football game.

armedoldhippy

Veteran

the saying "the tree of liberty must have its roots watered with blood from time to time" fits right here. so does "those that would trade freedom for safety deserve neither". a free society WILL HAVE bad things happen, but it will remain free, or at least more so than those that chose to cede their freedom in vain hopes of personal safety . i am not indifferent to the horror of shootings such as these, but there is no law that can be passed, nor firearm/freedom relinquished, that will prevent it from happening again. if it takes multiple armed guards/locked doors/bulletproof windows at every single school (as they have in Israel), then so be it. it is too easy to access schools etc for those that intend evil. the high school here has only 2 (allegedly) doors for entrance, (& you must be buzzed in through them) but you will see others propped open "it's too hot in here, they won't turn on the AC".

brown_thumb

school shootings in Australia = 0

but we are not talking about weapons of mass destruction...or mass poisonings...we are talking about school shootings...so access to guns MUST be an issue...yes?

No. The young man in Santa Fe, Texas placed several pipe bombs and carried a Molotov cocktail. Had he no access to guns he would have made more pipe bombs and ensured they detonated.

Green Squall

Mass shootings are sadly increasing, but its important to remember that there has been a massive decline of gun violence in the United States since the 90's.

Latest posts

Latest posts