What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another school shooting

ozzieAI

Veteran
school shootings in Australia = 0

but we are not talking about weapons of mass destruction...or mass poisonings...we are talking about school shootings...so access to guns MUST be an issue...yes?

shithawk420

Veteran
if i wanted to make a gun from scratch i could.anyone can.I dont know man.i guess i blame the irresponsible gun owners that cant afford a decent safe and lock them up.my pitbull could kill someone even though i know he wouldnt,i am responsible and lock or tie him up cause im responsible for him.its lazy or stupid people imo.

vta

Veteran

we need more & braver school guards, certainly armed & trained, perhaps some staffers as well.

Librarian's gun could have silencers on them.......

So true. If we can keep a baseball game with 60,000 people safe, we can do the same with schools.

Satyros

It's not out of line to say access to guns makes it easy for a disturbed person to carry out the act.

That access is frequently an ability to purchase, legally or otherwise, and sometimes being able to lift one from someone they know. Almost no random theft consists of thieves actually using the items; i. e., if I want to commit a shooting, I'm not likely to break into a random house in hopes I get lucky and find something. I would if I knew the person had one and I thought I could get away with it. Happens all the time, it happened to me and, you know what? You can't press a break-in case if the suspect has been in your house previously. Victims can be dismissed from the court's protection in a variety of things like that. Mine was an old Swedish Mauser that the typical gang banger will never find the ammunition for.

Guns are not really a contributing factor to a person's original disturbance, but it makes them a lot braver than they otherwise would be. As long as there are predatory people on earth, don't be the prey, predator right back at them. Society is pretty useless if it can't consistently produce quality people, the country is a failure for the most part. Although kids used to take their guns to school openly maybe up until the 1950s or so; I guess they were not so disturbed.

vta

Veteran
if i wanted to make a gun from scratch i could.anyone can.I dont know man.i guess i blame the irresponsible gun owners that cant afford a decent safe and lock them up.my pitbull could kill someone even though i know he wouldnt,i am responsible and lock or tie him up cause im responsible for him.its lazy or stupid people imo.

That seems to be in play in today's tragedy. His Dad's shotty and revolver. Then again...Growing up I was a latch key kid and there was a .38 in the cupboard above the fridge, just in-case. I was taught gun safety at an early age...just like my daughters were. Shit, one has her CCW, and carries a Kimber Micro 9. In California no less.

shithawk420

Veteran
Heres an idea.maybe it should be mandatory to have a safe.maybe you should have to by a safe when you you get a gun and failure to use that safe would result in negligence.and someone get that fucker outta my thread.jesus christ he is persistent.did anyone see that pic he posted in that other thread?boy what a sicko.i hope he dont own a gun

M

moose eater

1967 or 1968 I took the 7.7mm Japanese rifle to school (for a class presentation) that an Uncle had brought back from WWII. No big deal at all.

We whittled on sticks or other wood with pocket knives on the playground when we weren't playing marbles or climbing on the monkey bars, or, when it rained, building dams to direct our rivers we'd made with the run-off. Yep, we held recess/break time in the rain, with mud boots and rain gear.

Today, at least two of those instances could be charged as felonies. Literally.

Despair, desperation, hopelessness, reactions to bullying, decreased value placed upon life in general, hubris, a nation that models problem solving very poorly, and more, changed some of that.

The kinds of violence we see now, in my opinion, are indicative of a sickness of the soul, mind, and culture. Perhaps more..

Video games desensitize the act of killing or maiming. Even the military has used video games as part of their trainings.

And I agree a bit with who ever posted earlier re. the television broadcasting these events receive, like some ramping-up to a championship boxing match, where the thing is on the screen every 5 minutes in bold print and bright colors. For someone who's been a nobody, picked on, bullied, etc., if the idea hadn't already occurred to them, the way these things are handled tells that person, "I can have my 15 minutes of fame, people will know my name, I'll show those bastards who've tormented me, and they'll see what I'm capable of."

One of my three kids was bullied mercilessly throughout elementary school, and part way through middle school. Sometimes it got to the point of serious violence toward him (a boy 2xs his size tried to break his arm in a large exterior steel door at the school, with no staff in place to help him).

He crawled inside himself and created his own world, not only sealing out the assholes who did the deeds, but also cutting himself off from stimuli that he needed.

But his isolation in his head was a safer place for him back then... at least he thought so at that time.

If parents are patting their kids on the back for being ruthless bad-asses, those parents should share the brunt of responsibility when horrid shit occurs that's a culmination of the events their kids were permitted to cultivate.

M

moose eater

There's a 10mm next to my bed in a DeSantis fanny pack holster, a .357 revolver in another DeSantis fanny pack holster on top of the kitchen pantry, and a Remington 870 12 gauge pump fairly near my bed. All of them are loaded.

My kids (only one remaining at home now) have had a life-time of seeing large game come home with sizable exit wounds, in large, bloody game bags. They know the fantasy presented on shows like 'The A-Team' & other B-grade mindlessness is BS, that few persons get hit numerous times and brush it off. Some, but not many.

They know they're permitted to handle or use my firearms, -IF- I permit them to on a case-by-case basis.

I've never worried about my kids doing anything inappropriate with my firearms, even back when I had federally-registered class III selective-fire stuff in the house many years ago.

Their less-than-gun-savvy urban friends, or friends I didn't know that well, well, that was a different story.

It's like being up on a tall narrow ledge if you're afraid of heights. You don't belong there, because your own unfamiliarity or discomfort makes you a risk to yourself and others..

When those people came over to visit, things were put away where they weren't obvious or readily available.

But I have my firearms for a purpose. Very little of it recreational. And if I need a weapon, I want it available NOW. I don't want to be fiddle-fucking around with a combination or receiver cable lock if I needed the thing 30 seconds ago.

When I'm not here, at least one of those firearms is in my possession, and not in plain view. The others remain where they are.

The house has a German Shepherd and 2 other dogs within (I love my dogs dearly), and is posted as having security animals and features; all of which is true.

I've only drawn down on someone twice, maybe 3 times in my life (I'll spare the details, other than one was an intruder inside my home; I could have legally shot him, but instead lectured him and let him go. And as I related to GMT in these forums last year, the biggest part of my anger was that as I was waking up, in the process of beginning to have sex with my now-ex-wife, I had to choose whether or not to kill another person.. A person I could've legally shot under our laws. From foreplay to "Should this motherfucker die right now?" in a few short seconds. I was angry at being put into that position. Really..

I think people should be responsible with firearms. Not all of my guns are loaded these days, though 35 years ago they were. But when I need a gun NOW, I don't want to have anything between me and my family's needs in the way of a cable lock, or anything else.

And unlike my police forces and military, I've killed no one, let alone any innocent folks who happened to be standing some place at the wrong time. No 'collateral damage' in my rear-view. My local and military authorities can't say the same thing.

shithawk420

Veteran
i was just kinda brainstorming to appease anti gun people when i said everyone should have a safe,wich they should,but when you need your gun you need it now.it would be cool as hell to have like a gun in your leg like Robocop.always ready for the quick draw.

i was just reading about that Texas kid.He came to class regulary in a black trench coat and boots.how is that not a red flag?WTF wears a BLACK trench coat in Texas?A fucking wierdo thats who

M

moose eater

I figure folks can hold their beliefs that work for them, 'hawk. Mine work for me.

It's my job to make sure I handle my liberties such that I give as little reason as possible for someone to want to take them away.

shithawk420

Veteran
if it works for someone it works.not my place to judge.as long as no one personally messes with me i can be friendly to everyone.just dont cross the shit line though.lol

P

Pinnate

Yeah.....instead of attacking those with a contrary view to you with insults such as 'inbred hick redneck trailer-trash'.....How about discussing the topic at hand?
Sorry Gypsy, I did go a bit over-the-top there ─ I'll keep it in check.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I think that the problem with fire arms......is not the guns themselves, its the humans that fire them, and often guns are fired not because its absolutely essential for survival, they are fired because of irrational human emotional responses.. ......the need to dominate when domination is not the solution. The need to retaliate when a softer option would suffice.

Blind rage, anger, hate, and all the more un-savory sides to a personality can be bolstered by guns to enforce their madness.....and create massacres...

So guns are not the real problem. Its the lack of good mental health and ethical, sensible gun safety by humans that is seriously lacking.

.....its the human condition that's wrong here.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
As humans, we get passionate....we get loaded, so we get locked and loaded while loaded if we are gun owners....add to that a BIG emotional miss-hap, like your daughter/wife or Mother giving you a rough time, or maybe they were victims of some other gun crime, and you want to get some revenge....

Then you might get profiled by the cops and end up being watched, so add to your VERY human emotional condition EXTREME PARANOIA....you see it can all build, and almost any human is susceptible to this sort of scenario. So you become some emotionally charged monster on a mission to no-where.....with a gun.

The problem ain't guns......its humans.

Thats exactly what i said Gypsy.mental health coupled with lack of human incompetence

CaptainDankness

Let's not forget an average of 800,000 children are kidnapped every single year in the USA. School shootings are pretty fucked, but I think we have bigger problems than guns. Not too mention if you have the money you can find a full auto gun on the black market and handguns are really easy to find.

Latest posts

Latest posts