What's new

Analog's LED

analogue

Your work with photosynthesis ratios sounds very interesting. I wonder about the same thing. I'm all ears :).

My answer is No. I can't tell any difference. The addition of the neutral white leds is still a few weeks away from having been involved in an entire cycle.

It's too early, for me. Not enough harvests yet to be able to compare beyond being subjective. I'm saving up for my own quantum meter so I don't have to keep borrowing one.

I'm liking the led produced cannabis so far. I like what I see. And I should start weighing (as I never do).... need... more.. data.... . .

What version of Bubblegum is this? Serious Seeds? Sensi?

I have the Serious version, bought 5 seeds and only 1 was female. It grows extremely tight bushy leafy buds. It's almost impossible to veg nicely. I have to cut all the leaves off the branches up to the new growth because it doesn't give itself any room.

When the buds finally do finish, the whole plant doesn't reach beyond 14" tall because it does not stretch even a mm. But each branch is one giant cola, top to bottom.

analogue

What version of Bubblegum is this? Serious Seeds? Sensi?

I have the Serious version, bought 5 seeds and only 1 was female. It grows extremely tight bushy leafy buds. It's almost impossible to veg nicely. I have to cut all the leaves off the branches up to the new growth because it doesn't give itself any room.

When the buds finally do finish, the whole plant doesn't reach beyond 14" tall because it does not stretch even a mm. But each branch is one giant cola, top to bottom.

Serious Seeds version here, been running the same one for a couple of years.

Sounds like you have an interesting Bubblegum!

the other plant, shown, is Harle-Tsu from Southern Humboldt Seed Collective.

Sounds like you have an interesting Bubblegum!

That's one way to put it! LOL:laughing:

I've been thinking of ditching it for awhile because of how crazy it grows. I have a hard time doing it though because of all the work I've put into it.

I decided not to keep it, but I took ONE cutting and I figure if it roots, I will keep it going. I've done this a few times now. LOL

Needless to say, it keeps rooting. The crazy thing is, I have to strip the branches like a pine tree. The inter-nodes are literally 1/8" apart all the way up the stem. Do you think if I vegged it at 16 hours or something it would help to spread the nodes out?

The other thing I noticed is if this strain is grown outside under the sun it behaves like a normal plant and has properly space internodes(at least 2" apart anyway).

I don't understand why, maybe the extra yellow or green light in the spectrum? Either way, it's been really hard to clone, and to keep "the bush" thinned out enough. I'd like to rename it,
The Abominable Bubblewoman or Bubblesquach.

It's a stable strain though, never had any balls come out of that bush. All of my strains are stable which is really nice. Got a nice Lemon Skunk x NYCD going right now that is a male that I will backcross back into the Lemon Skunk and I may have to cross it into the Bubblegum for shits and giggles.

I did cross a hearty male Cali-O into the Bubblegum a few months ago to try and get a Bubblegum type of plant that stretches a bit more which I did. It doesn't strech much more, but it's actually possible to clone.

analogue

my first guess would be that indoors, with lack of stretch in the presence of enough red - there isn't enough far red (post 700nm).

What about your other strains, are they also more compact indoors under LED?.

fwiw, the cree neutral whites added 21.7 watts. i have more modules to install but may use them for a veg light I'm not sure. watts of HPS before. we are at 63% of the wattage we used to use for HPS.

yeah, just taking one cutting each time you put a Bubblegum into flower, you're brave, crazy, don't have enough room or really really good at cloning :tiphat:.

the fire is there, the taste and smell. the weight/density should come.

Attachments

• bbg_d59.jpg
    bbg_d59.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 12
  • P1000016.jpg
    P1000016.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 11
  • P1000017.jpg
    P1000017.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 10

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
MAYBE a ratio is developing

On pg 1 analog states "... the LED light is a Kessil 350 Magenta, 72 watts from the wall."

The Neutral Whites add 21.7 watts

Fonz be interesting to see whether ~ 30% Neutral Whites would allow your girl to stretch more like out doors.

my first guess would be that indoors, with lack of stretch in the presence of enough red - there isn't enough far red (post 700nm).

What about your other strains, are they also more compact indoors under LED?.

fwiw, the cree neutral whites added 21.7 watts. i have more modules to install but may use them for a veg light I'm not sure. watts of HPS before. we are at 63% of the wattage we used to use for HPS.

yeah, just taking one cutting each time you put a Bubblegum into flower, you're brave, crazy, don't have enough room or really really good at cloning :tiphat:.

the fire is there, the taste and smell. the weight/density should come.

My other strains grow nicely, compact enough, but not as crazy as the bubblegum. Pretty sure it's just a phenotype. All of the other seeds grew similarly, just not to this degree. Not even close.

It's possible that there isn't enough far-red like you say. Under a HPS it stretches enough to be practical, but still doesn't get over 14". Definitely a good strain for doing micro-grows. Maybe like PF says, adding Neutral Whites to my grow may help.

I actually ordered some Neutral Whites 2 days ago to start a new trial run, so that is where I will place the Bubblegum. I just gotta get a drill press that drills straight now.(on it's way)

I'm officially broke.

PF, will you please put that troll in it's place over in the advance spectrum thread? I'm done with that troll. LOL

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking very nice, Analogue. Regarding your earlier post on the white LED's, I had been using the white circuit on my new "Volks" fixture to get some clones rolling. They responded so well that I pulled out several of the 660nm reds and added 3 more of the cool whites for a total of 6 cool whites and 2 reds evenly divided on two drivers, about 104 watts gross. I'm going to continue vegging with this arrangement and see how it works out.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking very nice, Analogue. Regarding your earlier post on the white LED's, I had been using the white circuit on my new "Volks" fixture to get some clones rolling. They responded so well that I pulled out several of the 660nm reds and added 3 more of the cool whites for a total of 6 cool whites and 2 reds evenly divided on two drivers, about 104 watts gross. I'm going to continue vegging with this arrangement and see how it works out.

Cool Whites? Why not CREE Neutral Whites, which probably don't need any red augmentation?

analogue

the kelvin range on the Cool White LEDs is very similar to the CFLs I have been using (approximately 6500k) for vegging purposes for years, although I'm going with neutral whites for veg because that's what I have laying around (not much, but it would be nice to have a tackle box of parts :) ).

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool Whites? Why not CREE Neutral Whites, which probably don't need any red augmentation?

Because I already had several of the cool whites as well as the reds, and my plants were responding very well to them. These are 10w LEDs.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the kelvin range on the Cool White LEDs is very similar to the CFLs I have been using (approximately 6500k) for vegging purposes for years, although I'm going with neutral whites for veg because that's what I have laying around (not much, but it would be nice to have a tackle box of parts :) ).

I've also been using very similar CFL's as well as a range of PL-L lamps in the past, but for whatever reason these plants seem to enjoy the combo from these LED's appreciably more. It might be all in my head - we'll see! :biggrin:

Because I already had several of the cool whites as well as the reds, and my plants were responding very well to them. These are 10w LEDs.
I was wondering about the cool whites. The best Led grower I have ever seen says the cool whites are the way to go for veg especially because they have a really high efficiency compared to anything else. They also don't have all that extra unnecessary yellow wavelength. I guess I'm going to have to add some cool white 10w Leds to the next order I make.

FYI, the kelvin range does not tell you the output of the light source. It doesn't help much to give you an idea of the quality of the light.

You can't compare LEDs to CFLs because LEDs have a very different type of light output. White Leds have a much much better quality of light than CFLs, that's why you are seeing better results under the Leds.

Floro's emit "peaks" of wavelengths at a few wavelengths and they are really not ideal peaks for growing. Yes, they do work somewhat since plants can adapt to crappy light sources.

Leds on the other hand emit a "wide-spectrum" type of light. If you take a look at a white led spectral analysis over a cfl spectral analysis you will see what I'm talking about. Leds cover a broad range of wavelengths as a gradual curve from blue to red.

Yes, white leds will always grow plants better than crappy floroescents do.

analogue

Harle-Tsu

Flower: NH4 @ 7%, EC=1.3
N = 100
P = 50
K = 120
Ca = 134
Mg = 45
S = 77
Si = 100

substrate pH @ 6.1

Attachments