What's new

ALL ABOUT BONSAI MOMS/MUMS

dirrtyd

Would like to thank Guerilla for Putting up this thread. Also Og for originally providing the info. Also all the folks who have graciously contributed to this thread. It will save me space for sure with this method. Also Emory if you still around come back and visit us.
D

:thank you: thanks Guest. just want to say i tried your (or whoever's) Mass Cloning method. instead of plastic bags, ( i didnt think to go to the super market for those veggie bags), i put sticks on each corner and used clear round 8" pot catch trays as a see thru lid. used orange root gel by technaflora to dip.

i just want to say i got ONE HUNDRED PERCENT SUCCESS, MOFO'S!!!:tiphat: After two weeks i got them out to where the dirt kinda fell off the roots, but were not inter-tangled enuf to have to cut them. (sorry, i couldn't wait!!) they should be growin NO WORRIES in their new pots. i have also cut the tap roots off of other plants during a txplnt with no ill effects.

it has been a while since i got a 100% success with anything, not even the few times i got into the 90's with peat discs. then they changed the mfg of the peat discs, i don't think they use spahgum moss anymore or whatever. i went from hi 90's to about 10% success so HAD to find something new. this dirt (i used Gardener's Gold) and 1/2 perlite is the bomb baby. i SOAKED with TechnoFlora's Thrive Alive Red. just sprayed with fish tank water and kept at 80 degrees F, breathed on them a couple times a day.... they are in a square pot about 6x6x6inches, 9 per container both pots..... SMMMMMMMMMMMMMOKIN!!!!:jump: :jump:
EVEN my new bubblers my best one was 14 out of 15, my second one (with light leaks i THINK) was only 3 or 4 lived out of 15. so do the math guys n gals. (i'm still gonna stick with these bubblers tho, but HOW CAN YOU ARGUE WITH 100%????)

Anybody know of a good source (non marijuana related!) to purchase the small square pots described in the OP? I'm having a devil of a time finding them.

im also having problems finding square pots. ive looked all over saturday tryin to find them. even the local nursury didnt have them. im currently using plastic coffee cans and im afraid that when i rootprune it will be hell comeing out the pot.

barth

I didnt want to pay for the square pots and shipping and just got some 4" round pots at the dollar store. i got 4 pots for $1. I have had no problem with root pruning. I have only lost one mother in 3 years of having bonsai moms. This wasnt due to root pruning however. I went on vacation after i did the root pruning and my fan went out in my mother cab. Fried the poor mom to death.

I knew about root pruning for a while now as i have about 30 outdoor Bonsai that need to be root pruned every few years. Once you do it a few times it will all click. Basically there needs to be a balance of enough roots to support foliage. I always cut the plant WAY back when root pruning like the OP does.

ha no hydro stores anywhere near here. just box stores and such. i tried all them and searched thru hundreds of those black pots at the local nursury just to come up with nothing. i even tried thinkin outside the box looking at different tupperwares and shit nothin fit the profile. i did find some online for $.61 a piece.though id rather do business local i may just order them. they was the right size n looked durable.

Dnutz

So I am attempting my first mother plants and so far I think im doing it right, but am not sure if I am supposed to cut the stems back or not. I have pics of how they are coming along so far and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC_2435.jpg
    DSC_2435.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_2436.jpg
    DSC_2436.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_2437.jpg
    DSC_2437.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_2438.jpg
    DSC_2438.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 17

Dr dedoverde

im also having problems finding square pots. ive looked all over saturday tryin to find them. even the local nursury didnt have them. im currently using plastic coffee cans and im afraid that when i rootprune it will be hell comeing out the pot.

you can use rounded pots too no problem, you trim the roots exatly the same as in square pots, you can use bonsai pots too.

look this bonsai was made by a pro

Attachments

• Cannabis sativa bonsai.jpg
    Cannabis sativa bonsai.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 26

Relentless

Veteran
ive got my bonsais in a 5"x5" pot. i have one ive been working on for around 6 months.. purple wreck.. shes got 5 main stems and each branch into two at the tops, creating 10 tops. I pinched to get the 5 main branches even, then topped each when they were all at the same level. now im pinching each top to make sure they come out all even.
I love my lil bonsais. so cool

Thanks for sharing your specific methods Relentless

Does anybody have any suggestions on the soil needs of a mother plant? like extra drainage, nutes in soil vs liquid nutes, etc?

Cutting--how far is too far?

Cutting--how far is too far?

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread.

Part of this topic is puzzling me--namely, how far back to cut my mum? And if you cut too far, will you end up with a "barren" node that will produce no further growing tips?

Let me try to give a hypo: let's say I snip one of the growing tips of my plant, allowing the two sets of leaves on either side to grow. If, after letting those two new sets grow tall, I snip them (at the same node where I initially snipped the growing tip...) will that node ever produce any more growing tips, or is that it? The reason this comes up is that some tips on my mum have become "leggy" such that they are overshadowing the rest of the plant, even though they are cut back to the nearest active node.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but my research isn't coming up with much.

Relentless

Veteran
my eldest bonsai made 7 months today! yay, shes my first and i intend on having her for a very LONG time!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Anybody know of a good source (non marijuana related!) to purchase the small square pots described in the OP? I'm having a devil of a time finding them. Or is size not that crucial?
I've used 7 and 9oz Solo or other plastic cups for years. Works great. (7oz is better for a smaller mum, 9oz is great for mums that you want to throw a lot of cuts from frequently. :D)

No, they're not square, but they'll work until you find them. D:

Stay Safe! :tree:

Edit:
I just remembered.... For the cloning you can use the square yellow plastic containers that corn starch comes in. (I don't eat it... just use it in the baby's diaper. LOL) Cut the top off and use a sandwich baggie to cover it. Works awesome! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts