What's new

ALL ABOUT BONSAI MOMS/MUMS

Harinama

thankyou

thankyou

This thread is a real treat! I've been keeping my dear moms small, and had issues with trimming, and nutrition, forcing me to renew them from clone occasionally. Your root/branch cutting techniques are exactly what i've been looking for!

Keep up the good work and lets freshen up this thread!

MadeInGermany

why is it important that there aren't any air pockets when you repot after trimming the roots?

Because it will start to rot in those air pockets. Either do it as described and use a stick to ensure you have no gaps or flood the container when you are done to get rid of gaps by letting the water pack everything down.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Anyone know how many seeds I should buy in order to be able to take about 70 clones after about 9 wks off the momma's?
10 is fine and you better order them now.

If you haven't cloned before... I'd order 30 maybe? It may take you some time to get started. Putting a deadline on a grow isn't usually conducive to a great turnout.

If you've never cloned anything bfore and you're looking to plant these outdoor this year, you may just want to grow them all from seed. Pick up an extra pack of 10 or take cuttings off the others for now, until you can clone reliably.

Should only take 2-3 months for a properly tended mum to start throwing 20+ cuttings.

Stay Safe! :tree:

qbert

Wonderful Thread....I decided to put this one in pdf format for those like me who'd like to print it...here is the link to download the file:

All About Bonsai Moms

Click on free user wait 48 sec and download the file for free.

Peace

Link's dead.

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.
This limit is reached.

I have a premium rapidshare acct. and could upload it to get a long-lasting link, if I had the file.

I have a mom grown from seed, Its about 14" tall, Can I just cut the main stem above the first node to turn it into a bonsai? Or should I start from clone?

seederido

i cut mine at the 2nd node and rooted the top. then i lst-ed the 2 resulting tops to make the 2 lower branches grow on --> 4-tops at the same level. then u can top those again ---> 8 tops.

hope that helps & have fun with mama!

edit: how much above ground is your first node? if it's low, go ahead. if its high, you can supercrop it at first (search for 'mother may i'-thread) or make the top a mum.

i cut mine at the 2nd node and rooted the top. then i lst-ed the 2 resulting tops to make the 2 lower branches grow on --> 4-tops at the same level. then u can top those again ---> 8 tops.

hope that helps & have fun with mama!

edit: how much above ground is your first node? if it's low, go ahead. if its high, you can supercrop it at first (search for 'mother may i'-thread) or make the top a mum.

So what your sayin is you chopped the top of the plant off and rooted it. Leaving what was left to be your mother? I dont know what lst-ed is but I think I get the jist of it..

My first node is probably 2-3" from the dirt..

TLoft13

Link's dead.

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.
This limit is reached.

I have a premium rapidshare acct. and could upload it to get a long-lasting link, if I had the file.

http://rapidshare.com/files/332858195/ICMAG_1.0.rar.html
I put all 6 files Lambsbread gifted us with in one .rar.
You could download it and reup only the BonsaiMums-pdf, or just put the rar-file into your account, though i don't know how to do this?
Greetings,
TLoft13

FinestKind

This is a great thread, it's essentially what I've been doing, except the whole shaving the root ball bit is brand new to me. Just hadn't thought of it. Thanks for posting it whoever!

FK

KosmoKramer

I've been experimenting with this same method, only hydro hand watered in perlite. I'll post some pics later in the week showing my progress so far.

Impressed!

Anybody know of a good source (non marijuana related!) to purchase the small square pots described in the OP? I'm having a devil of a time finding them. Or is size not that crucial?

Latest posts

Latest posts