What's new

Airgas Account?

JColtrane

So I have a large BHO project, well large to me. Got 8.5 lbs of pretty nice L.S.D. trim, and I'd like to use n-butane. Anyone got an Airgas account, what's the deal? Do I have to own a restaurant, or a catering business?? Are there questions I should stay away from? What should I ask for?

Also has anyone ever used this type of butane through an open system, like a stainless steel tube? I typically blast 300ml of luccinne per 30 grams. I assume I could set up some sore of regulator on the butane line.

Any help would be great ... I really don't want to buy a master case of luccinne, it's just so much waste!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I have a large BHO project, well large to me. Got 8.5 lbs of pretty nice L.S.D. trim, and I'd like to use n-butane. Anyone got an Airgas account, what's the deal? Do I have to own a restaurant, or a catering business?? Are there questions I should stay away from? What should I ask for?

Also has anyone ever used this type of butane through an open system, like a stainless steel tube? I typically blast 300ml of luccinne per 30 grams. I assume I could set up some sore of regulator on the butane line.

Any help would be great ... I really don't want to buy a master case of luccinne, it's just so much waste!

No problem getting instrument grade N-Butane from Airgas, with a legitimate business license.

There are any number of uses for high purity N-Butane, but restaurants and caterers don't need that level of purity.

As a pharmaceutical research facility, we don't have to spell anything out, because it is all proprietary.

Besides cannabis, I extracted some hops oil for a hops farmer, using N-Butane. It also works for other botanicals, so unless you bring up the cannabis word, they probably won't either.

It doesn't have to be a research company. Acme botanical soap and lotions company or Mary's Bestest Hops Oil Inc should work as well.

You will need to get the butane in a pot with a liquid dip tube, but it will work on either an open or closed system.

JColtrane

Thanks GW ... always coming through with the answers for me. So is this easier than lucienne, or better for the extraction? I guess is it worth the effort to obtain it?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Certainly easier transfering butane from a dip tubed 100# pot, than a can tapper on lighter fluid cans.

Trichgnomes

Pretty much what Gray Wolf said. I will add though , depending on where you live, it may be much easier than you think. In my experience, a business license was only required if one were to ask for the tank to be delivered. However, if you are willing to pick it up (pick-up truck or other open air vehicle required, they will turn you away if you show up in a sedan), it's just as easy as getting any other gas from a gas company. CO2 for your kegerator, oxy and propane for glass blowing, etc.

Just be professional and don't ruin it for the rest of us.

JColtrane

So do I just ask for n-butane? Or is it called something else. Also I don't have a business license, maybe I should be ready for that. Thanks for the info ... i'll try not to ruin it for you dude, lol

Trichgnomes

I didn't mean any hostility, just common sense. :)

Yes, ask for N-butane (N=Normal). Decide what purity you would like ahead of time, and call them already knowing the information, including part numbers, etc. This information is easily accessibly to anyone with a quick search. Like Gray Wolf mentioned, you gotta have a dip tube, or liquid siphon as they refer to it as.

I've used 99.9%, but honestly, my palate has a difficult time discerning the difference between extracts made with this vs Vector or similar "canned gas mixtures." Go figure. It is easier to work with, no doubt, but a lot of folks say vector, colibri, etc leaves impurities in your oil. Well, my panel testers say otherwise. Haters gonna hate, but only those that have performed an extraction with both can have a credible input. Buying in bulk is definitely a benefit, however. With the amount of work you've got ahead of you, I would say go for it.

I would go with the cheapest one that is still labeled N-butane, which I believe is just labeled 99%.

HTH

Rickys bong

Veteran
It'll depend on where you are but unless you have a business in an industrial or scientific vein you won't get very far.

There's no location in your profile so it's hard to give specific info. In any event you'll need to give them a lot of personal info in most places as the bottle it comes in can only be rented. Unless you are prepared to set up a business I wouldn't bother.

It's not much cheaper vs small cans either...

JColtrane

Thanks for the info guys ... I'm located in Eugene, OR. Pretty chill place, not the mid west, thats for sure.

I think it might be a little tricky...I guess I could say I'm extracting lavender oil for handmade soap, hmmmm

Looks like it might just be a master case of Lucienne.:thank you:

J

juicepuddle

Some would say there is a large difference in 99% vs %99.9, imo 99% is just as good as vector, but anything %99.9 is going to be different.

foaf

Veteran
for those who have bought from airgas, what is the price and what size cylinders did you get?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
About $400 for 23# of instrument grade and $375 for CP.

Trichgnomes

Some would say there is a large difference in 99% vs %99.9, imo 99% is just as good as vector, but anything %99.9 is going to be different.

Care to shed some light on your reasoning/ experience with different purities of butane? Just curious, as I have used vector, power, lucienne, and colibri, as well as 99.9%. I have stated in various threads that I can't tell a difference between extracts made from any of the products I have listed, however, I have never used 99 or 99.5.

for those who have bought from airgas, what is the price and what size cylinders did you get?

(22lb cylinders)

99% - $118.00

99.5% - $132.00

99.9% - $742.00

Go for 99 or 99.5, as like I said, 99.9% is a waste of money, but I suppose it's a good selling point if that is your thing.

Edit:
About $400 for 23# of instrument grade and $375 for CP.

Whoa! Not sure what prices are in your area, foaf, but if you can get prices that low for instrument grade, with your recovery system--I dunno-- might be worth it.

JColtrane

So GW do you know the part number for the gas I'm after? Also are they going to hassle me if I don't have a business license, but know exactly what I want? Also you mentioned something about the hose set up, do they sell that there? Maybe you could help me out with that info .... thanks a ton!!!:thank you:

Trichgnomes

So GW do you know the part number for the gas I'm after? Also are they going to hassle me if I don't have a business license, but know exactly what I want? Also you mentioned something about the hose set up, do they sell that there? Maybe you could help me out with that info .... thanks a ton!!!:thank you:

Just search this in a search engine, as to not post a link:

PARTS AND PART NUMBERS for Tanks, N-Butane, and Connections

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

99.5% Instrument grade is NB-IL5 N-Butane , Grade 2.5, Size LP5 23lb.

99% CP grade is NB-CP, Grade 2.0, Size LP5, 23 lb.

Verify that the cylinder has a dip/siphon tube.

They didn't ask me for a business license, but they did ask me to fill out a credit application for myself and my company. You might get around that with deposits. Cylinder rental is $0.75/day.

I got my hoses off E-Bay, and from the local refrigeration shop.

I also got the flare refrigeration fittings, with and without Schrader valves there.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
(22lb cylinders)

99% - $118.00

99.5% - $132.00

99.9% - $742.00

Whoa! Time for some hardball comparison shopping with Linde, et al.

With recycle, our projected usage is too low to ever become a valued customer, but $270 spread on Instrument Grade has my attention.

May I ask if Airgas is also your supplier?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Perhaps I should read quotes closer!

I just went though my Airgas paperwork and notice the attached two paragraphs in their quote, that you may have issues with as a private party.

Attachments

• Airgas-1.jpg
    Airgas-1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 14
J

juicepuddle

I have no experience with N butane trichgnomes, but I read on these forums from a user that the difference between 99% and 99.6% / 99.9% is everything. He mentioned something like 99% being the same as commercial vector etc, and the real clean N butane he wanted to see used cost a ton of money, and was the purest available.

I can't find the post or thread, so like I said, there are some who would say its a big difference. Also those using the most expensive clean N butane would recover 100% of it and this could be the difference, you did not recover all of it and this could be the reason why it tastes the same as a commercial vector run, because you purged the same way everyone does with heat, not with the tamisium.