What's new

Airgas Account?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How much in ml is in the 22lb tanks?

22lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg equals 10 kg butane. Butane has a specific gravity of .601, so 10 divided by .601 equals 16.64 kg weight, if it was water.

16.64 kg X 1000 = 16640 grams

16640 grams = 16640 milliliters @ 1 gm/ml water

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have no experience with N butane trichgnomes, but I read on these forums from a user that the difference between 99% and 99.6% / 99.9% is everything. He mentioned something like 99% being the same as commercial vector etc, and the real clean N butane he wanted to see used cost a ton of money, and was the purest available.

I can't find the post or thread, so like I said, there are some who would say its a big difference. Also those using the most expensive clean N butane would recover 100% of it and this could be the difference, you did not recover all of it and this could be the reason why it tastes the same as a commercial vector run, because you purged the same way everyone does with heat, not with the tamisium.

I have read that flavor goes up with butane purity, and I believe that to be true at some level, depending on the level of desulfurization during refinement.

I question if that is true at the higher purity levels, because I sure can't tell the difference between butane that is just adequately refined and butane that has been refined a couple of more times.

By the time butane reaches 99%, sulfur compounds are in the parts per billionth and the balance of the impurities are a few parts per millionth paraffin, and other light condensable gases like propane, iso propane, and iso butane.

Those gases don't impart any more flavor than N-Butane, so I also don't see where the favor would be imparted from.

One mans opinion, worth little in the overall scheme of things, because believing is seeing. I have however panel tested grades against one another and noted that although there may be strong opinions by testers when the samples are labeled (and sometimes mislabeled), those same scores don't carry through when the tests are blind.

For instance, I have had one sample identified as better than another by a tester, and after switching the labels, had the testers still pick the material only labeled as their first pick, instead of detecting the switch.

I have also tested the same samples under two different labels and recorded strong tester preferences.

Sooooo, I have come to believe that preference is a matter of expectations and perspective. Regardless of what I feel or think, a passel of folks are going to believe otherwise, so I just speak clearly and then do my own thang.

I'm thinking that if we all had the same tastes and preferences, us'n manchilds would have killed each other off long ago over the same woman

hammalamma

Veteran
22lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg equals 10 kg butane. Butane has a specific gravity of .601, so 10 divided by .601 equals 16.64 kg weight, if it was water.

16.64 kg X 1000 = 16640 grams

16640 grams = 16640 milliliters @ 1 gm/ml water

Thank you, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

J

juicepuddle

Gray wolf during the testing panels you are referring to what type of purge was used on those oils? In my post I mention not recovering all of the N butane could have something to do with the taste as well, and perhaps attempting to recover 100% could lead to different taste, and would also show us just how much is recoverable with a tamisium, would be crazy if it could recover 100%

Trichgnomes

Whoa! Time for some hardball comparison shopping with Linde, et al.

With recycle, our projected usage is too low to ever become a valued customer, but $270 spread on Instrument Grade has my attention.

May I ask if Airgas is also your supplier?

Yep. Although I believe they didn't have the 99.9 in stock, so they got it from a similar specialty gas company. I never had to deal with anyone else, though.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep. Although I believe they didn't have the 99.9 in stock, so they got it from a similar specialty gas company. I never had to deal with anyone else, though.

I didn't check on 99.9%, but they don't carry CP or Instrument grade in stock here either.

Might you PM me the state that you purchase your butane in? We pay higher fuel costs in Oregon than many states, but not usually to this degree. I will definitely check out Airgas's competitors and feel inclined to peel some local faces.

Unfortunately all my old professional Airgas contacts are either retired or dead, and our usage is low, so I am unlikely to get anything but personal satisfaction out of beating on them.

Crunchnasty13

I was wondering... if I wanted to acquire a tank from airgas, would I also need an industrial business address in addition to the business license?

Olifant

I've never bought butane from a gas supplier, but I found the airgas supplier was 3x as much as much for dry ice pellets and blocks compared to a locally owned welding supplier. One would think prices for such standardized commodities would be more consistent but when it comes to chemical commodities disparate prices are surprisingly frequent.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Airgas acts like they are the only game in town. Try Praxair, Matheson, Industrial Source, etc.

cyphaman

http://www.mathesongas.com/pdfs/litcenter/SpecGas&EquipmentBrochures/n-Butane-Pure-Gas.pdf

Matheson starts at Cp and has another 4 grades rating from "matheson purity"

99 % CP N-Butane
99.5 % Instrument Purity
99.9 % Ultra High Purity
99.95 % Matheson Purity
99.99 % Research Purity

Crazy, I would think that the CP would be what catering companies use? GW they give a range of 1 ppm in sulfur contents from the 3 top puritys, whereas there is a range of 90-900ppm in what is listed as "Other Hydrocarbons" also included in these purest grades. Wonder how to determine which would be suited for smoking, I would always lean towards the best, but in this case maybe there are more than one option.

cyphaman

Also, the CP 99.5% butane has 9000 ppm "other hydrocarbons"

the Inst. Grade 99.5% butane has 4500 ppm "other hydrocarbons"

What would these be? Just curious..

Permacultuure

Veteran
Airgas shut me down about a year ago.....In a area close to you Jc....hopefully they've changed they're stance on the whole thing

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We use instrument grade, because when they talk purity in industrial gas, they are saying something different than they are when they are discussing canned lighter butane.

Industrial gases consider the presence of ethane, isobutane, and propane as a contaminant, while canned butane contaminants are what is left after it vaporates away.

Most, if not all lighter butane meets CP standards, before having other gases added.

Remember that it was the gas folks who set these standards, and they leave themselves wiggle room where possible, so they typically beat the standard by a margin.

New warning on Matheson. We've had an account there for at least a couple of years, but typically buy our gas elsewhere cheaper, and when I asked for new pricing recently, I got a reply that they wouldn't sell butane to a company like mine, not engaged in research.

I pointed out that we are a legal research company, duly registered in the state of Oregon, and asked for clarification, but now am being ignored.

http://www.mathesongas.com/pdfs/litcenter/SpecGas&EquipmentBrochures/n-Butane-Pure-Gas.pdf

Matheson starts at Cp and has another 4 grades rating from "matheson purity"

99 % CP N-Butane
99.5 % Instrument Purity
99.9 % Ultra High Purity
99.95 % Matheson Purity
99.99 % Research Purity

Crazy, I would think that the CP would be what catering companies use? GW they give a range of 1 ppm in sulfur contents from the 3 top puritys, whereas there is a range of 90-900ppm in what is listed as "Other Hydrocarbons" also included in these purest grades. Wonder how to determine which would be suited for smoking, I would always lean towards the best, but in this case maybe there are more than one option.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just one accurate bulk butane residue test would put their numbers in proper perspective. At the bottom of this post of mine is how to do the test,

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6079491&postcount=1

Use the volume markings on the wide mouth quart Mason jar to measure the bulk butane, about 225-250ml is about what I have been seeing with a '300ml' can of butane.

I'm in the Inland Empire of SoCal if someone would like to squirt a little bulk butane in a Thermos bottle for testing...

JColtrane

SkyHighler ... ask and you shall recieve! I'll be making my rounds down there soon, and I'd like to meet ... I'll bring a present :)

cyphaman

interesting, related to what GrayWolf was saying how the more pure, the grade of butane is, the more compounds you'll find added to the list. These numbers vary widely from company to company, but my bet would be on a company like Praxair just because I know they are a big player and offer research grade specialty gases.

I've found some Canadian companies who offer what we are looking for, you can see their grades contain pentane, isobutane, ethane, ethylene, methane, isopentane, the list goes on and on... for research grade purity?

http://www.megs.ca/puregases/Butane(n).htm

Then Praxair for example, has a few additional hydrocarbons such as isobutane, propane, etc but nothing even listed under their 99.9% Research Grade n-butane

http://www.praxairdirect.com/Specialty-Gas-Information-Center/Pure-Gas-Specifications/N-Butane.html