What's new

Ahmar F1 : 60s Panama Red x Chefchaouen 'Sativa' Hashplant

soopy

Veteran
Soooooo cool VG! I’m watching this one with joy….this is EXACTLY the kind of project that gets my grow bone itching lol….thank you for what you do, the way you do it….and for continuing the legacy of a fellow head, seeing his personal joy live on in the lungs and minds of others….nothing but mad respect.

Best vibes and wishes to you and yours…and my condolences to the farmers family.

island_organics

Thanks @island_organics they look nice, i have also seen pics of PR that have red coloured buds/bracts but white pistils... perhaps those were the ones selected for this cross or maybe there are red pistils in there that i haven't yet discovered... i must try and pop the other 6 F1 seeds

VG
The seeds you have are from a much older selection so it's normal to see the different traits appear. The colouring on your plants is interesting. I think the smoke will be a nice treat. The plants are beautiful.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey @soopy thanks for the kind words.. and yeah, this sort of thing really floats my boat too. I love smoking strains for the first time, and this one sounds like virtually no-one has smoked it ever - except that hash farmer who made the cross and smoked it for half his life! can't wait...
My friend was also astute in getting permission from the farmer's son for me to work with his dad's line.. he knew that's what i would hope to do - so the nod for that came with the seeds... i guess it was logical to want the line to live on rather than depart with his dad... but you have be able to see that bigger picture sometimes, and i was lucky that he did.
@island_organics that makes sense! - and would fit with the story that the farmer grew out a few hundred Panama Red (probably a field lol) and selected 18 or 20 that had the traits he wanted. Perhaps quite a bit of variation. They certainly smell like they will be great smoke, kind of earthy/woody what i would associate with Kush types tbh but there are other nuances in there and a sweet smell too. I guess i'll find out for sure on the smoke in a few weeks.
VG :tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pretty much 9 weeks now and these might come down very soon..
few more pics.
Plant 5
ahmar5.jpg
ahmar5top@9.jpg

red velvet
redvelvet5.jpg
Ahmar5@9nugs.jpg

RobFromTX

Good grief look at those colors. Did any of them hermie on you VG or were they pretty stable? Either way i think this calls for a early smoke report :smoke:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Beautiful Plant - but definitely Indica dominant.

Is Panama Red an Indica - in this case ?
Thanks, Panama Red seems to be universally regarded as a sativa but it doesn't have particularly narrow leaves... and this cross is made with very early Panama Red genetics from the 60's
Also i have found that all the plants ive grown over this winter have expressed themselves in a more leafy/hashplant way than normal because of the low temps (more leaf more frost but smaller buds)

That said, the whole Indica / Sativa distinction is scientifically meaningless and there is actually no consistent differences between them. (similar to Moths and Butterflies or Pumpkin and squash)... so i'm not going to get too hung up an it.

Last edited:

island_organics

Beautiful looking plants. Not what i'd expect from the genetics but you're only growing a small amount so i'm sure there's different expressions in the line. Nice work.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have 6 more of the F1 seeds left which i may try and germinate now. I suspect that they might not vary much from what i've already had.. this being a 'proper' F1 hybrid.
I will also run the two girls again from clone in the warmer spring temps and see if their phenotype expression changes at all.
VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey @soopy - yes, the plants were harvested a couple of weeks ago and ive started to smoke some...(there are also a reasonable amount of seeds )
I have to admit that i would be predisposed to love this because the terpene profile is pretty similar to bubba (which is just about my favorite smoke) The red pheno no 5 is very kushy/earthy/coffee and the dark pheno no 4 is similar in some ways but also has a sweet fruity smell over the top.
First impressions are that this is potent! - i guess i may have been expecting that it would be slightly less potent than this, being a very old pre-skunk cross, but i would say that it would compare well in potency to most modern hybrids.
The high is quite energetic and i got a lovely 'rush' up my back after the first smoke, as well as some bodystone that makes you feel you are wrapped in warm fuzzy cotton wool. I found it quite uplifting yet calm and relaxing.
It will be interesting to see if it changes after being in the jar for a week or two, but so far i really love it.
it is also resinous and i got quite a lump of finger has from getting the seeds from the buds.
pic of the 'red' bud
ahmarreddrynug.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So yes the red number 4 plant is a tasty smoke. It has that horseradish / Victory V (British throat pastilles) / incense-ish taste/smell you get right in your sinuses.
But the Darker No 5 plant is probably more resinous and potent... with a quite lively high. Less bodystone, energetic and euphoric.. more reminiscent of sativa. it leaves a patch of keif on the surface where it's been put down.
Tiny nug:
ahmer5drynug.jpg

i have both vegging up for another run.. this time the temps will be warmer.

island_organics

Beautiful looking flower. Sounds like a good smoke too. Are you releasing any seeds from the line? I’d love to grow some outdoors here, i’m in the Mediterranean, Balearic Islands Spain. Not too far North of Morocco.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds perfect ! - yes that's the plan. Atm i have a limited amount of seeds, but will send some packs of F2s into seedbay/boutique. There is a big difference in seed size between the two plants as well, and the pollination was quite light so it must be genetic. The red pheno has seeds twice the size of the black/purple one! (which may well be green on the next run lol)
The one thing about having red bracts/buds rather than red pistils is that it stays red when dry !
happy 4/20 all
AHmerredjoint.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts