What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AgSil 16H

Anybody used AGSil 16H in there line up? I picked up some from customnutrients and I am loving it.. Its like Silica Blast or Pro-Tekt on steroids.. Also its cost way way way less.. Its guaranteed analysis is

Potash 32%
Si02 52.8%

Pick some up, make some stock and save your $$$..

betshtick

Yep, I got some of this from MBFerts along with a pound of whey protein isolate for super cheap aminos. Looks like it's going to last forever, such a deal.

Cool, I have been loving the stuff. I add it first to bump my PH from 7 to 8.5.. Then add in my salts and im around 6.2 and it slowly drops to 5.7 over a few days.. I wish i new about this stuff years ago.. I would have saved so much $$$.

Granger2

Veteran
You can use it to make the EXACT same thing as Protekt. The recipe is at http://www.kisorganics.com/
560 grams of Agsil 16 in 1 gallon will give you 7.6% silicon (SiO2), which is the % in Dynagro ProTekt. Or 1 lb of AgSil 16 to 103.75 oz RO water. Use concentrate at 2 ml/gal. Good luck. -granger

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Not sold on the stuff myself. Been using it off and on for a couple years. Don't see one bit of difference when using it, none, nada. Ya I've read up on the benefits of silica but that don't mean you need more than is in base nutes or whatever else you are adding. Far as I can tell the only thing its good for is a ph up and I don't need a ph up. Messed up having to add a bunch of ph down to account for that silica spiking your mix to 9 point something. I've tried running it from 1ml/gal to 5ml/gal. I can see adding it to a foliar but that's about it. My gal of agsil is sitting right next to all the other bottles of crap I gave up on, if you like it and it works for you, that's all that counts.:tiphat:

Granger2

Veteran
I agree Stoned, it depends on what's in your soil and base nutes. You may not need it. Most lines don't include it cause it doesn't play nice in concentrates with other nutes. I can tell a difference. Stockier stems, etc. -granger

I think we all can agree to use what works for you... From my experience i do get fatter stems and thicker leafs, but does that translate to high yields?? If so why, i guess a fatter stem could support more weigh.. Bigger leafs may hurt yields as they choke out light to lower flower sites. I guess that also depends on if you think the leafs or the flowers need more light.. Anyways if i didn't see any difference in the plants growth by using this product i would still use it as a cheap ph up.

BubbaBear

Agsil is better than most, but for the win i'd go with GH Armor Si. Its a 10% silica dioxide, which I was told is taken up by the plant easier than potassium silicate, can anyone confirm this? Doesn't potassium silicate have to be broken down by microbes to be taken up by the plant? I got a gallon for $25 which is about what it would cost for the pound and a half of agsil it would take to make a gallon of 10% solution but its a ready to use liquid. The thing im really liking about it is it doesn't seem to be raising my PH as much as potassium silicate.

Agsil is better than most, but for the win i'd go with GH Armor Si. Its a 10% silica dioxide, which I was told is taken up by the plant easier than potassium silicate, can anyone confirm this? Doesn't potassium silicate have to be broken down by microbes to be taken up by the plant? I got a gallon for $25 which is about what it would cost for the pound and a half of agsil it would take to make a gallon of 10% solution but its a ready to use liquid. The thing im really liking about it is it doesn't seem to be raising my PH as much as potassium silicate.

A quick search turned up a label for GH Armor SI that claims all of the SiO2 is derived from Potassium Silicate. So just like all the other Silicon products out there, they're charging you for water.

Also, $25 for a pound and a half is super expensive. You can get 20 lbs for a little over $100.

BubbaBear

A quick search turned up a label for GH Armor SI that claims all of the SiO2 is derived from Potassium Silicate. So just like all the other Silicon products out there, they're charging you for water.

Also, $25 for a pound and a half is super expensive. You can get 20 lbs for a little over $100.

Just like if you look at a bottle of Aptus Fasilitor which is a silicic acid product it say derived from potassium silicate, and its a way better plant available source of silica than plain old potassium silicate is. Just like silica dioxide is more plant available form with a lower PH than plain old potassium silicate.

You get what you pay for, powdered nutrient is always going to be cheaper. If you want the cheapest price for a silicate product go the Agsil route. If you want a better product thats still very reasonable priced id check out Armor Si.

betshtick

Just like if you look at a bottle of Aptus Fasilitor which is a silicic acid product it say derived from potassium silicate, and its a way better plant available source of silica than plain old potassium silicate is. Just like silica dioxide is more plant available form with a lower PH than plain old potassium silicate.

You get what you pay for, powdered nutrient is always going to be cheaper. If you want the cheapest price for a silicate product go the Agsil route. If you want a better product thats still very reasonable priced id check out Armor Si.

Armor Si is a good product but I noticed zero difference (in results) between it and my AgSil or others like silica blast from botanicare.

I do notice a difference if I don't use a silicon product. It definitely helps the plant form thicker heartier branch and stem structure.

I stand by agsil 16h. Stronger sturdier plants by far. I've been using it a couple years. Every watering and every foliar. I mix small batches and keep it ready in a condiment container.

Mr. Roseberry

Kozmo

Veteran
Good to know Mr. Roseberry! I use it in all my watering accept AACT. Also use it in my PM routine. I grow in living organic soil.

Good to know Mr. Roseberry! I use it in all my watering accept AACT. Also use it in my PM routine. I grow in living organic soil.

Same here buddy. Its great for mold prevention. I'm in living soil too. My oldest soil in use is approaching 2 years old and just really starting to move

Mr. Roseberry

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I hope this isn't a high jack. I've been using Protek for years and have been thinking about switching to silica dioxide https://www.kelp4less.com/product-category/soil-enhancers/silica/

Does anyone have experience with this product? Anyone used both agsil16 and silicon dioxide? I'm definitely switching from protek next purchase. I'm just still unsure what to switch to....

I dont know anything about silicon dioxide so I will let someone else chime in on that but if you want a replacement for Protekt then Agsil16H is what you want they are both potassium silicate just the Agsil is in dry form and needs to be diluted with water. Protekt is diluted with water to 7.8% I believe it is and to get the same strength you would mix 780:1 ratio or 148g/L or 560g/gal or 3 tablespoons to 8 oz water for mixing without a scale.

http://buildasoil.com/products/agsil16h-potassium-silicate

I havent used Agsil16H yet personally, I was going to buy some but I got a free quart of Protekt to test so Im using that for now.

That being said the link you posted claims silicon dioxide is a better form than potassium silicate for plant uptake so if that is true it may be the better choice for silica supplementation.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anybody used AGSil 16H in there line up? I picked up some from customnutrients and I am loving it.. Its like Silica Blast or Pro-Tekt on steroids.. Also its cost way way way less.. Its guaranteed analysis is

Potash 32%
Si02 52.8%

Pick some up, make some stock and save your $$$..

ONLY SILICA SUP ANYBODY COULD EVER NEED!

SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOF TOPS.

:D :D

Latest posts

Latest posts