What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AgSil 16H

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I hope this isn't a high jack. I've been using Protek for years and have been thinking about switching to silica dioxide https://www.kelp4less.com/product-category/soil-enhancers/silica/

Does anyone have experience with this product? Anyone used both agsil16 and silicon dioxide? I'm definitely switching from protek next purchase. I'm just still unsure what to switch to....

I wonder if it really is plant available?
I can't remember but...
SiO2 is sand and glass...
Seems it would have to be broken down by microbes as well.

eastcoastjoe

been using this product for at least a year or more. dyna gro will never get my money for protekt ever again hehe

waveguide

Veteran
I hope this isn't a high jack. I've been using Protek for years and have been thinking about switching to silica dioxide https://www.kelp4less.com/product-category/soil-enhancers/silica/

Does anyone have experience with this product? Anyone used both agsil16 and silicon dioxide? I'm definitely switching from protek next purchase. I'm just still unsure what to switch to....
i think the owner of customhydronutrients was looking into sourcing this in bulk last year (site that convo was on died), might be worth asking ... think you're looking at more oxygen in the root zone ;)

Diggaz

I have ordered products from kelp4less, mbferts and customhydronutrients. Customhydro has the best customer service by far and I like his site the best. MB dude seems like a nut, kelp4less I dont like how you dont know what brand your buying.

Kelp4less does not have agsil so dont go there for that.

oh and armor si is not the same as aptis fa or yara acticsil it is potassium silicate and WATER.... same as dynagro.

Last edited:

coldcanna

Veteran
Bump. Only 2 threads come up on icmag which is crazy. $170 for a 50lb bag on mbfert, that's orders of magnitude cheaper than the all water hydro store nutes, surprised the guys with the bigger ops here don't use this, can't imagine paying for bottled silica for a bunch of 5-10lb outdoor plants. Potassium silicate is used in the wine industry to make grapes more resilient against botrytis. No way they're paying 30 bucks a gallon for hundreds of acres

Dkgrower

Veteran
I bet you all dont reach high PPM levels for calcium and hence thats why you see sturdier plants when you use silica..

Mold prevention, maby when u foliar spray it.

if you want real protection u dont want to raise the pH of the leaf surface but lower it with lactobacillus or other pH lowering leaf products

Is it better to make a concentrated gallon of agsil16 h mixed at 1 lb to 103.75 oz of water and use at 2 ml per gallon or just mix it first into your res at .50 grams per gallon.

lotus710

i use agsil allll the time!! best silica source by far!! and fucking 9 dollars for a bag!?! how can you go wrong!!!

jump /injack

Veteran
http://buildasoil.com/search?search={q=potassium%20silicate}

Potassium Silicate 1lb for $9 plus shipping of about $5 I think. I mix it with Neem oil and mist the plants.

"SIL16H is manufactured by PQ corporation and is one of the few silica products on the market that is water soluble. This simple powder will save money over buying water based Silica Bottle products. This is approved for organic use as a foliar spray and is an excellent oil emulsifier."

It makes the Neem go into solution with the water enough that you can mist your plants, here is the amounts for one gallon of Bug Spray. Use 1.5 Grams per ounce of Neem Oil per Gallon of Water for a Bug Spray Base. You don't have to use much of it, this goes a long way