What's new

After 6 years, it begins.. Nirvana White Rhino, Widow & Mazar - 400W CMH

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
You are in good shape. The leaf curling appears to be a slight genetic mutation and nothing to worry about.

Pine

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
genetic mutations on 3 different strains?

:eek: Maybe not then. I don't know, but I wouldn't give it too much of a concern unless you start seeing discolorations or stunted growth. Crinkle leaf aside, they actually look pretty healthy.

Pine

K

KMK0420

:eek: Maybe not then. I don't know, but I wouldn't give it too much of a concern unless you start seeing discolorations or stunted growth. Crinkle leaf aside, they actually look pretty healthy.

Pine

that they do!

they're going on almost 2 weeks old. how much longer until its actually considered "vegetative" phase, and how long should i veg? until they're roughly 2ft or larger?

K

KMK0420

quickie update

picture.php

picture.php

all of the new growth seems to be responding better..

i stopped foliar feeding, slowed watering schedule (only doing it when almost bone dry)...and i raised the light a little bit to like 3 ft

they are right now 12 days old

edit->

Mazar-I-Sharif (the freebies) are going extremely slow, and have darker colors than the widow or rhino..

widow is up second..

rhino in first place with color, height, growth, bushiness, etc.

plan on switching from CMH to HPS during flowering, and when i get to that point will break off a new thread for flowering only (to avoid having 40 pages of shit to surf thru lol)

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
i stopped foliar feeding, slowed watering schedule (only doing it when almost bone dry)...and i raised the light a little bit to like 3 ft

they are right now 12 days old

I am very happy with how things are developing (I have a lot invested in your success). At this juncture you could probably move the light down a bit (try 1.5 ft). This will keep them compact.

They are moving out of the seedling stage and moving into the vegetative stage IMO. Different plants grow at different rates, but in a couple of weeks you can expect (give or take some) like:

(i) This ISS I just sexed (female=yah!) at almost exactly 4-weeks of age (from sprout)

or,

(ii) This SSH (which is also about 4-weeks from sprout in the picture)

Pine

K

KMK0420

I am very happy with how things are developing (I have a lot invested in your success). At this juncture you could probably move the light down a bit (try 1.5 ft). This will keep them compact.

They are moving out of the seedling stage and moving into the vegetative stage IMO. Different plants grow at different rates, but in a couple of weeks you can expect (give or take some) like:

(i) This ISS I just sexed (female=yah!) at almost exactly 4-weeks of age (from sprout)

or,

(ii) This SSH (which is also about 4-weeks from sprout in the picture)

Pine

lol, you do have a lot of time invested.. its people like yourself that get us noob's started! i wish i had some SSH...smoked some in Amsterdam and was amazed

so are you saying that in about 2 more weeks i'll be in veg stage, then roughly what after that? 2-4 weeks of that then onto flower? or is it more of a height requirement before you can flower?

i'll move the light down from 3ft to 1.5 or 2ft ish and see how that does things... i just dont know when to move stages ya know (Seed to veg, when to transplant, etc), i dont want to do it too early or too late and be overgrown!

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
so are you saying that in about 2 more weeks i'll be in veg stage, then roughly what after that? 2-4 weeks of that then onto flower? or is it more of a height requirement before you can flower?

I don't think it is a height requirement as you can keep most strains contained to a reasonable height. When to flower is really a question of how much bud you want...and how quickly you want it. Like I indicated earlier what I do is wait to see how many "good" females I have and then determine how long to veg on the basis of this number of "good" females. That is to say I make a calculation of how much veg time is going to yield the most amount of herb for the X females I have. The downside of this approach for you is waiting extra weeks (but not as many extra weeks as the extra veg time as more mature plants will flower quicker). The upside is having perhaps 3/4ths of a lb of bud stored away and being able to shut down your op for awhile (e.g., not growing during the summer months).

Pine

K

KMK0420

I don't think it is a height requirement as you can keep most strains contained to a reasonable height. When to flower is really a question of how much bud you want...and how quickly you want it. Like I indicated earlier what I do is wait to see how many "good" females I have and then determine how long to veg on the basis of this number of "good" females. That is to say I make a calculation of how much veg time is going to yield the most amount of herb for the X females I have. The downside of this approach for you is waiting extra weeks (but not as many extra weeks as the extra veg time as more mature plants will flower quicker). The upside is having perhaps 3/4ths of a lb of bud stored away and being able to shut down your op for awhile (e.g., not growing during the summer months).

Pine

so, in your honest opinion, when should i sex? or is that too much of a variable question and kinda just play it as i see it? i thought you sexed right before flowering. what youre indicating is that you sex before or while you veg, then decide based on that when to flower...correct?

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
so, in your honest opinion, when should i sex? or is that too much of a variable question and kinda just play it as i see it? i thought you sexed right before flowering. what youre indicating is that you sex before or while you veg, then decide based on that when to flower...correct?

Well you don't sex ... they do. At around 1 month you should be able to tell the men from the women by inspecting the preflowers that form around the nodes. This is were a jeweler's loop is useful. Keeping them in their current pots (not transplanting) might help them show their sex earlier than they would in larger pots.

You can transplant now, but I would probably wait. You have a long time before they are root bound. I'm always concerned with the amount of space my vegging plants take up so I don't transplant from 16oz cups for a month or so - or after the females reveal themselves. IMO a good time to transplant is when you have to thoroughly water every two days.

Both of the plants pictured in my earlier are are 2+ weeks older than yours and are still in 16oz cups. The SSH pictured actually got transplanted into a 4" square pot and remained in that pot for over 1-month. It was somewhat rootbound by the time I transpanted it again (picture below), but it was still growing and healthy. Now you probably don't want to grow like this as a general policy (2 month old plant in a v. small pot), but I posted the picture to let you know that you can wait awhile with no ill effects other than having to water daily.

Pine

SSH out of the 4" square pot

and into the new 10" rount pot

K

KMK0420

yeah i'll give it another week or two before transplanting.

should i start nutes after transplanting? cause it looks like they dont need it right now..

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
should i start nutes after transplanting? cause it looks like they dont need it right now..

You probably should not start fertilizing after transplanting.

Why? Along with the new soil comes new kelp, new guano, fish meal, and new earthworm castings. The addition of these nutrients with the new soil should be sufficient for your plant to have optimal growth for at least 2 weeks following each transplant (and probably longer). The only time I use grow (high N) fertilizers in veg with FFOF is when I don't observe a regular transplant regime as in the case of the SSH plant I pictured (big old plant in not much soil), and even in this case I don't find that it is necessary to feed much. I typically use grow (high N) fertilizer during first few weeks of the flowering cycle when the plants are increasing in size rapidly (stretching) as during this period they use a lot of nitrogen. If you were growing in str8 coco or pro-mix you would start feeding very early and continue throughout the veg cycle, but in a mostly Ocean Forest mix this approach is very likely to do more harm than good.

Pine

K

KMK0420

You probably should not start fertilizing after transplanting.

Why? Along with the new soil comes new kelp, new guano, fish meal, and new earthworm castings. The addition of these nutrients with the new soil should be sufficient for your plant to have optimal growth for at least 2 weeks following each transplant (and probably longer). The only time I use grow (high N) fertilizers in veg with FFOF is when I don't observe a regular transplant regime as in the case of the SSH plant I pictured (big old plant in not much soil), and even in this case I don't find that it is necessary to feed much. I typically use grow (high N) fertilizer during first few weeks of the flowering cycle when the plants are increasing in size rapidly (stretching) as during this period they use a lot of nitrogen. If you were growing in str8 coco or pro-mix you would start feeding very early and continue throughout the veg cycle, but in a mostly Ocean Forest mix this approach is very likely to do more harm than good.

Pine

awesome response..thanks man. i think come late veg/flower i'll worry more about it.

i seemed to have overwatered :( i wait until the top layer is bone dry, and the cups are light, then water...but apparently i wasnt waiting long enough and there was probably water deep in the middle or something...i was watering once a day, sometimes once every 2 days...i think every 2 days is better ATM. i'm letting them go 3 days with no water, or until they perk back up. drooping badly! last time i watered was thursday night, so come saturday night (tomorrow night) ill see if they need it again.

K

KMK0420

It is hard to leave them alone, isn't it?

Pine

HAHA!

Very true!

Sticking my nose up close...they stink!!! No lie! at 13 days old they already got an odor if ya smell em...i can't imagine what flowering is like lol

noexcuses

cant help looking at mine as much as possible as well! just wanna watch em grow all day long. dont worry too much about over watering, i done it at the start myself but they seem to have recovered well, best way to tell is by weight. know how your pots feel when you lift them when they are dry and when they are wet, this has worked for me since then. keep up the good work mate.

K

KMK0420

for my own knowledge, is this still too early to tell, and am i looking in the right direction when it comes to sexing?

picture.php

picture.php

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
still a little early but yes thats whereyou will see the hairs or balls bro...coming along nicely.peace-T-