What's new

African Strains

sladan

Thule: The namibian looked pretty close to my Bushman's (my B's was maybe a bit stockier) Where did u get your Namibian? Most weed in Namibia comes from other african countries (they smuggle a lot from SA p.ex), i think.
The Bushman's is a great plant!! The high is very good, indeed. The taste is interesting and nice as well. Love this plant! :)
Some more info i got about her: this Bushman's by Nectar Seeds is a F2 from the original Herbaria Bushmans (Herbaria = swiss seed company that doesn't exist any more)
crossed my 2 best males with Original Haze plants. Wonder how that cross turns out! unluckily I don't have space yet for that hybrid.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
hello Herbalistic and everyone :joint: great thread indeed :)

here is a malawi gold, seeds from afropips, this one plant has been vegging outdoors under tropical 12/12 for almost three months and still is not showing sex:

will update if the plant is a lady :)

Peace all

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Thanks for the info packet ngakpa, much appreciated :yes:

I have always thought that Indian slaves did bring their local varieties with them and the knowledge of ganja growing. Havent thought the influence of spice- & other goodies merchands on that much. Im quite sure they had spreaded ganja seeds worldwide, but what about the flow of Indian "labourers"?

They most likely had huge influence of how to grow properly + the variety they bring with them :chin:

Would be so interesting to see genetics testresults and the similarities of SA weed & African varieties generally compared into Northern- & Southern Indian indicas & sativas!

Thule: Yeah, im thinking about "low potency" -pheno too, but the final curing time will reveal it, or not... l33t had similar results, big yields with mediocre pot, he did turn his into oil and after that he got something more smokable from it, maybe that tells something... However, we both did our grows indoors, which I think could offer explanation :chin: Among the grow reports of African Seeds Swazi, I have found couple Spanish growers who grew them outdoors with great result, big yields & great type of high :chin: I was about to give those gals uv-b light their last couple weeks, but skip it because of my laziness + summertime, when we all get wild :D

sladan: Very interesting grow you got going on, please keep us updated. It would be nice to compare our results with if I ever got hold them Ethiopian beans my gf´s family has grown some decades. They originate in some Central African country, but have been growed for decades in Ethiopia! Only problem is to get them from daddy, he´s very traditional and couldnt understand relationship with whiteman from different religion, so we make some cover story to get them seeds for me to grow :D

Hola hermano PVR :wave: Nice to see you at this thread! I know you love your afropips Malawi :D Havent you growed it for some years?

Brother Esben, please come out of the shadows and stop lurking, show´s us some Danish grown African genetics :D Would like to hear you input on thule´s Namibian..

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
Herbalistic man,
to answer your question, it is a yes and no :D I have had the seeds for a couple of years now, and grew 4 seeds out of the original pack, got 4 very nice plants, incidentally, 2 males and two females, and made more pure seeds with them; however, one of the two females got ripped/stolen, while the other I managed to harvest it but very early, no more than 70 days flower, but enough to make a few good seeds. then out of those seeds I made many plants were started, none lived over 4 months, all were ripped/stolen. real bad luck / karma.

I am germinating the other 6 original beans left in hopes of reproducing them.

nice swazi Jedi :)

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
ngakpa said:
well the money has got to be on India as the source of African ganja varieties

I put my bet on India too. South Africans seem to be a real mixture of traits from the whole indian ocean area but surely the traffic has been mostly from india.

You don't see stocky pure sativas in india, I think they're just as lanky in the himalayas as in kerala, this has lead me to speculate about arabs or indians bringing some hash plant genetics with them.

I have 3 southern africans and 5 indian / himalayans going right now will be interesting to look for similarities as Herbalistic suggested.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
sladan said:
Thule: The namibian looked pretty close to my Bushman's (my B's was maybe a bit stockier) Where did u get your Namibian? Most weed in Namibia comes from other african countries (they smuggle a lot from SA p.ex), i think.
The Bushman's is a great plant!! The high is very good, indeed. The taste is interesting and nice as well. Love this plant! :)
Some more info i got about her: this Bushman's by Nectar Seeds is a F2 from the original Herbaria Bushmans (Herbaria = swiss seed company that doesn't exist any more)
crossed my 2 best males with Original Haze plants. Wonder how that cross turns out! unluckily I don't have space yet for that hybrid.

Yep, the bushman's is stockier than the namibian. I was gifted the seeds by a friend, and pretty much all i know is that they originate in namibia. they seem close to south africans like durban poison.

Those haze x bushman's sound reaally interesting! give a report when you pop 'em!

RubbaDub

Love this thread. I think that the fast finishing sativas from southern africa are a true gift for indoor growers.

Some questions come to mind about the migration of cannabis to africa:

Do northern indian strains finish as quickly as south africans? Looking at a world map, northern india is roughly as far from the equator as southern africa. What about 8 week Malawi strains? If you chose a location in india that's a similar distance from the equator, are there any strains that mature as quickly? If not, why the difference? Is it climate?

Thule said:
I put my bet on India too. South Africans seem to be a real mixture of traits from the whole indian ocean area but surely the traffic has been mostly from india.

You don't see stocky pure sativas in india, I think they're just as lanky in the himalayas as in kerala, this has lead me to speculate about arabs or indians bringing some hash plant genetics with them.

I have 3 southern africans and 5 indian / himalayans going right now will be interesting to look for similarities as Herbalistic suggested.

sladan

Thule said:
Yep, the bushman's is stockier than the namibian. I was gifted the seeds by a friend, and pretty much all i know is that they originate in namibia. they seem close to south africans like durban poison.

Those haze x bushman's sound reaally interesting! give a report when you pop 'em!

as i said, they import a lot of weed from SA. Might be indeed a DP youre growing. Nonetheless great genetics, i'm sure.

of course i'll make a report about my Bushman's Haze. Have to wait how much more Ethiopians germinate. Maybe I've got some space left for them...

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
sladan said:
as i said, they import a lot of weed from SA. Might be indeed a DP youre growing. Nonetheless great genetics, i'm sure.

of course i'll make a report about my Bushman's Haze. Have to wait how much more Ethiopians germinate. Maybe I've got some space left for them...

Are you doing a seedrun with those ethiopians? That's one of the strains I always wanted to try. In pictures they very much resemble himalayan sativas with their red stems and dark leaves. Could be environmental but maybe they're related.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
sladan said:
yes, it's a seed run to preserve this line!

Great news!

The old african seeds stock was full of gems but most of them are hard to find nowadays.

I myself have had Tanzanian magic, durban poison and was recently gifted swazi redbeard.

Zambian copper was always on my to buy list, but I failed to make my order in time. :bashhead:

Last edited:
L

levant

Rubbadub, good question,
In my experience south Africans are among the fastest flowering sativa's.
Northern Indians (the ones I've grown) seem a little more
stubborn to initiate flowering, I find this strange, as the climate
of N. India (especially at the higher elevations) is harsher and
more variable than that of S. Africa.
But I have only grown a snippet of whats on offer from N. India,
I believe there is way more variation in cannabis there than in S. Africa.

Thule, did you ever grow the Tanzanian magic?
I would like to know more about this strains "auto flowering",
Tanzania of course being tropical this never made sense to me. :bashhead:

Ethiopian
:rasta:

Limeygreen

Veteran
Good to hear that people are still running Ethiopian highland. I never got the chance to order it either but always hear good things about it. Can't wait to see the results.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
levant said:
Rubbadub, good question,
In my experience south Africans are among the fastest flowering sativa's.
Northern Indians (the ones I've grown) seem a little more
stubborn to initiate flowering, I find this strange, as the climate
of N. India (especially at the higher elevations) is harsher and
more variable than that of S. Africa.
But I have only grown a snippet of whats on offer from N. India,
I believe there is way more variation in cannabis there than in S. Africa.

Thule, did you ever grow the Tanzanian magic?
I would like to know more about this strains "auto flowering",
Tanzania of course being tropical this never made sense to me. :bashhead:

:rasta:

My guess is that chitrali type plants played a role in south africa but i have nothing to back that up. They just seem like the closest thing to a stocky south african.

Regarding the tanzanian magic beans I had.. I never got to try them. Somehow I always end up losing seeds when I switch apartments, my TM beans where among those :bashhead:

However the guy who had made them told me it's a 100+ days strain with absolutely no autoflowering properties. It's kind of an urban legend that they start autoflowering at 5 weeks.

Jedi

"Madam, Miss Otis regrets, she's unable to lunch t
ICMag Donor
Hey guys....very intersting read about the origin of S.African weed..
and ........

OK...i,m from SA...and though the sed travels from India is very posible.....
(and i might agree with the northern varieties.....like Durban Poison and Malawi and perhaps Swazi )

and got to add......those are my favs...

and then you get the other...Transkei , Lesotho , Pondo , Tarangaan (Tarries)..
for the price of a sixpack beers you could probly get a large hanfull of Majut..!!..LOL...lots of seeds though

anyways.........what i was getting to.....The Bushmen(San Tribe) been using Cannabis for ages and its very ingrained in their culture.....
I might be wrong though......but6 i think its way before the arrival of ppl from India......even before the settlers...

Dont know fella's.......

What time frame are u guys talking about......????

http://www.ukcia.org/research/Geopolitics/CannabisInAfrica.html
A Historical Tradition

The first historical record of cannabis in what is now Lesotho dates back to the 16th century. According to historian Stephen Gill, oral tradition has handed down the story of a "colonizing" use of marijuana by the Koena people. The Koena group moved from the northeast of what is now Mpumalanga province (the former Orange Free State) and settled in Lesotho around 1550 (thereby becoming one of the ethnic components of the Basotho group today) by "purchasing" land from San tribes (the earliest inhabitants of South Africa, better known today as "Bushmen") in exchange for marijuana. It is nevertheless very likely that the San knew and used cannabis long before the Koena arrived, these latter simply providing it in great quantity. Furthermore, Gill notes that in the nineteenth century - shortly after the bases of the Kingdom of Lesotho were firmly established by King Moshoeshoe I and the local populations began to depend more on agriculture than on livestock - marijuana figured among the main staples grown in Lesotho, along with sorghum, gourds, and beans.

as opposed to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asians_in_South_Africa

There are more than 1 million Indians in South Africa, most of whom are descended from indentured labourers who were brought into the country by the British from India in the mid 19th century, mostly to work in sugar plantations or mines (especially, coal) in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN). Traders also subsequently emigrated. Indian South Africans form the largest grouping of people of Indian descent born outside India, i.e. born in South Africa, not having migrated there. Since 1994 however, there has been a steady trickle of immigrants from the Indian sub-continent. Most Indian South Africans live in KwaZulu-Natal, particularly Durban and surrounding areas.

Dutch in Africa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_African

Dutch settlement, under the Dutch East India Company, began in the Cape of Good Hope (present-day Cape Town) in southern Africa in 1652, making it the oldest European culture in Sub-Saharan Africa. By the late nineteenth century, the descendants of the Dutch (known as Afrikaners) had crossed the Limpopo river into Mashonaland, now part of Zimbabwe. In the early 20th century, following the Anglo-Boer War, large numbers of Afrikaners travelled north to British East Africa and settled in what is now Kenya and Tanzania, as well as in Angola. Following the Mau Mau insurgency and general collapse of colonial authorities in the decades after the World War II, Afrikaner colonies outside South Africa and Namibia diminished in size and the majority of settlers and their descendants returned to South Africa.
am i missing something....??

Last edited:

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I've got a F1 malawi gold x chronic called malonica over at seedbay in the private breeders section and she's a stunning hybrid to with a citrus flavour and aroma,good yields and up up up high.

Seedmans african buzz is a malawi gold line and theres afropips malawi gold to.

Last edited: