What's new

African photo thread

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
hey fellows african herb lovers !

lasko 210 days, WOW !!! very very nice pict, how is the smoke...

here is my nigerian, flowering for 6 weeks, still no resin at week 7 ^^but i m not giving up.
in one bud, straight flowering, 1m70 ^^
picture.php

lasko

beautiful plant titoon, all the best with her
mauricius i sampled was oldskul sativa smoke, up in space and last long. now is on cure, i will tell you more in next months :D My brother after smokin a bud, said just thats real Ganja.

S

spliphy

best wishes on your quest

best wishes on your quest

im thinking if my swazi survives reveg im going to cross it to a heavy indica (mazar x masterkush) and then cross the progeny to a skunk #1 and see if i can get some fruity skunky 50/50 sat indica vibes going. the swazi just has sooo much vigor and that sweets smell i dig. anyone done this kind of thing before?

Hi oldbootz,

Seems like the results of any crosses will be very vigorous. In my understanding vigor will be increased (hybrid effect) the further the distance is genetically of the proposed crossing if either or both sides are stabilized.

If the Swazi is so strong, another choice could be a favorite but weak plant (if you have one) to give possibly the best of both.:smokeit:

Let us know if the Swazi makes it and any subsequent pairings.:biggrin:

oldbootz

Veteran
thanks for the motivation spliphy !

all those used to growing our local swazi will know what i mean when i say those things are monsters ! they take extra extra long to show sex, all while developing a sturdy root system. being a pure sativa (or close enough to) they respond to topping and bending with a "i dont give a fuck" attitude and are soon squashed back into the spaces you just chopped them out of or bent them away from. the bud shape varies a lot but this particular one stays quite rounded until late flowering when it foxtails a bit. this swazi seems to be a fast finishing one compared to others i've used, which is another bonus.

for the breeding project the traits that i would like to transfer from the swazi are the sativa style growth rate, and the swazi "sweets" flavor. the traits from the mazar x masterkush i would like to transfer would be the pungent smell, the amount of trichromes developed, and the round solid shaped bud. then i would like to cross the remaining seeds with my trusty skunk #1 to give it that fruity taste and make a better bud shape as well.

im going to take the seeds from the cross with the sk#1 and inbreed a nice looking pair together to make the F2 gen and open up the variations a bit more. then im going to try find a keeper mom from there to clone from. definitely not going to be the most stable strain but it will have some gems in there to find im sure, especially with that trusty Sk#1 in the mix.

OB

sendaman

Rooibaart confusion

Rooibaart confusion

First of all: hats off for the great thread!

Anyone remembers Derrayld? A devoted grower and very knowledgeable about South African strains, who seems to have disappeared from the forums. In an interview in Dutch magazine Highlife Derrayld describes one of his favourite strains: Transkei Rooibaart, which I’m really interested in. “It has one of the most intense highs you’ll ever encounter”, according to him. Sounds quite different from what Wotamess and Sliphy got from their Rooibaart, huh? So I started wondering, are there different Rooibaart strains?

Some googling brought up Africa Seeds’ Swazi rooi bart, I think the one Sliphy found only average, and a seed company called Afropips offering Red Swazi/Swazi Rooibaart seeds, a ‘pure African landrace’. Searching for Transkei Rooibaart didn’t yield anything…

Are these two identical? The descriptions certainly differ... I wonder how big chances are that the Rooibaart Derrayld raved about is a different strain from the (Swazi) Rooibaarts offered by both Afropips & Africa Seeds… Any help much appreciated!

Africa Seeds
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/AfricanSeeds.htm
Afropips
http://www.afropips.moonfruit.com/#/swazi-red/4511425918

S

spliphy

Welcome to the forums sendaman

Welcome to the forums sendaman

First of all: hats off for the great thread!

Anyone remembers Derrayld? A devoted grower and very knowledgeable about South African strains, who seems to have disappeared from the forums. In an interview in Dutch magazine Highlife Derrayld describes one of his favourite strains: Transkei Rooibaart, which I’m really interested in. “It has one of the most intense highs you’ll ever encounter”, according to him. Sounds quite different from what Wotamess and Sliphy got from their Rooibaart, huh? So I started wondering, are there different Rooibaart strains?

Some googling brought up Africa Seeds’ Swazi rooi bart, I think the one Sliphy found only average, and a seed company called Afropips offering Red Swazi/Swazi Rooibaart seeds, a ‘pure African landrace’. Searching for Transkei Rooibaart didn’t yield anything…

Are these two identical? The descriptions certainly differ... I wonder how big chances are that the Rooibaart Derrayld raved about is a different strain from the (Swazi) Rooibaarts offered by both Afropips & Africa Seeds… Any help much appreciated!

Africa Seeds
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/AfricanSeeds.htm
Afropips
http://www.afropips.moonfruit.com/#/swazi-red/4511425918

Derrayld sure is missed by me also...he had a wealth of knowledge of the African scene down south and a great passion.

what you just posted told me more about the 'redbeard' than I knew before...I thought only one redbeard existed.

thinking about starting a south African genetics thread where we could pool any information on origins (Bantu migrations, which I wrote a paper on, but needs to be revised since its in a data bank at school) to the various areas and their distinctive strains.

the region of southern Africa seems to be turbulent both in the political sphere and environmental conditions (inconsistent wet/dry cycles). The farmers have had to adapt and well as the herb...still, outstanding, pleasurable strains are to be found in this region.

oldbootz

Veteran
there is transkei lime green which is one variety then you get transkei red which is not swazi rooibaard but a darker brown variety that originates in the same areas as the lime greens. you also get swazi "gold" which is different to the rooibaard as well. hope this helps..

the swazi that im growing is the gold version. i would trade my front teeth for a couple beans of transkei red, that stuff tastes really good, almost has a northern lights taste to it but much more earthy.

S

spliphy

great info

great info

there is transkei lime green which is one variety then you get transkei red which is not swazi rooibaard but a darker brown variety that originates in the same areas as the lime greens. you also get swazi "gold" which is different to the rooibaard as well. hope this helps..

the swazi that im growing is the gold version. i would trade my front teeth for a couple beans of transkei red, that stuff tastes really good, almost has a northern lights taste to it but much more earthy.

interesting:smokeit:

in a week I should have time to properly start a thread to cover varieties and traits...deadline looming:booked:

best regards, s.

Hey everyone, the thread is looking great! A big thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Good to see you Txopin! The DP looks very tasty. It's a nice pheno you found, I have seen it in the line. Quite solid fat buds. How is the potency and high?
Did you manage to have any success with any of the other strains?

Nice to see you giving the chocolate a go Oldbootz! They're all looking super healthy. And a nice Swazi pheno you have too! I like those unusually fat nuggets.

Hey Wotamess. Unfortunately there's no chance of that nugget being Rooibaard. That's cheap ol' swaz. Everyday street weed here.
Not to be a dick or anything, just helpin you get the facts strait... The Rooibaard is some OTHER kind of pot. You will know it when you see it. Dark buds with lighter green accents, covered in RED hairs. Red like a stop sign. The buds also smell sweet like Swazi but with some heavy earthy kinda fuelish tones. The smoke is thick n heavy and it absolutely destroys in the high dep. I've never smoked anything that strong, honestly!
It's REALLY rare though... Hopefully you will strike it lucky and experience the best SA herb, and you'll remember it forever!

I've got a number of my experimental cross of purple Congo Black x 2nd gen Swazi going now and a couple outdoors too.
I'll put up some pics when I can.

Kind regards, Ah

indifferent

Veteran
I wish I had the money to travel to south africa to experience all these transkeis, durbans, swazis etc.

In general how rare are the finer varieties?

What is the general street quality Swazi actually like? Is it potent with a good high and just lacks taste due to bad handling? Heavily seeded?

I've travelled in Mexico and quality varied from hempy crap to mind warping.

P

ptg

Here is my ethiopian haze a bit more developed,but badly grown, as always i have some probs with her,she's so finicky to grow...but will give good results for sure,really fat buds for a pure sativa.
picture.php

indifferent

Veteran
I wouldn't call that badly grown at all ptg, looks like you haven't overdone the N as the leaves haven't curled. I see a tiny bit of N overdose but only very very slight. If you feed her just P and K from now on till the flush and do a nice 3 week flush she will end up gorgeous.

BTW, do you have any shots and info about the Ethiopian? I take it you used the African Seeds Ethiopian highland? I've been itching to grow that one for years and finally got some f2s so am searching for info.

wotamess

hey folks :wave:

derrayld rocked the OG, for sure, and he knew his shit. primo TK red was/is renowned for it's brain melting stone that left you in an 'eye wobbling' state of goofedness, and truly psychedelic 'behind the eyelid' hallucinations... i was lucky enough to get one pre-rolled j of 'the brain melter' while in the eatern cape a few weeks ago, and jeepers... :D so, in response...

Hey Wotamess. Unfortunately there's no chance of that nugget being Rooibaard. That's cheap ol' swaz. Everyday street weed here.

well, it IS rooibaard. it may not be the super sexy ultimate TK reds we were getting from the farmers in the transkei circa 94-98, or the amazing swazi no.1 rooibaard being couriered from the source during the same period, but it's basically sensi swazi, with distinctly over pronouced red pistils, and trich production that leaves 'cheap ol' swaz' in the dust. i have parcels of basic swaz here now (in cape town) that were R150 each, and then the rooibaard that was R300 a parcel. i have excellent hook-ups via my father in law with the rasta community in browns farm and this is as good as it gets during the summer, unless you track down the boutique dealers who charge international prices, and really do have the best of the best local stuff... i'm still giving it a try, but i have week left here, and a million social engagements to get through, so may not be able to...

i just don't think it's right to reserve the term rooibaard for the ultimate examples of said weed. i think rooibard is a distinct variety of SA weed, which varies in quality, like, for example, super silver haze, or some such wonderful stuff would, depending on pheno's, grower experience and handling...

i'm not trying to light a fire either, dude. enjoy a good debate :yes:

stay well... i 'm gonna twist up some of the above mentioned right now!!

later

-wam-

P

ptg

I wouldn't call that badly grown at all ptg, looks like you haven't overdone the N as the leaves haven't curled. I see a tiny bit of N overdose but only very very slight. If you feed her just P and K from now on till the flush and do a nice 3 week flush she will end up gorgeous.

BTW, do you have any shots and info about the Ethiopian? I take it you used the African Seeds Ethiopian highland? I've been itching to grow that one for years and finally got some f2s so am searching for info.
Thanks indifferent,you are too kind!
Til now i gave her only water,but soil mix was a bit too rich that's why burnt tips leaves...thanks for your advice,i'll try like that!

For infos about the ethiopians i can't really help as i grown it only one time.Take a look at pages 21-22 of this thread,there is a few pics of my previous grow.
All i now is that the compact pheno seems to be very good for breeding;really fat, resinous buds with a great metallic/incense smell and also a really good,energetic psychedelic high and a shorter flowering time.
But i should grow them properly at least one time to see exactly how is the extreme sativa pheno...

One thing i'm really sure about this strain is that's THE ONE,she can easily become the Holy Grail of any sativa lovers!
picture.php

indifferent

Veteran
Interesting, that is some recommendation, I shall have to grow my F2s out then!

I like to use coco with sativas these days so I can control the npk rations closely, it is still tricky to get them just right though.

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
is there anywhere that still has Afropips stock available? i'm looking at a bunch of his/their strains because of this thread, they sound incredible :joint:

if anyone can point me in the right direction, a PM would be great, thanks!

ArcticBlast

edit: found somewhere that still has malberry and tribal vision and malawi99

Last edited:
Thanks indifferent,you are too kind!
Til now i gave her only water,but soil mix was a bit too rich that's why burnt tips leaves...thanks for your advice,i'll try like that!

For infos about the ethiopians i can't really help as i grown it only one time.Take a look at pages 21-22 of this thread,there is a few pics of my previous grow.
All i now is that the compact pheno seems to be very good for breeding;really fat, resinous buds with a great metallic/incense smell and also a really good,energetic psychedelic high and a shorter flowering time.
But i should grow them properly at least one time to see exactly how is the extreme sativa pheno...

One thing i'm really sure about this strain is that's THE ONE,she can easily become the Holy Grail of any sativa lovers!
picture.php

Do any of your EH smell of grapefruit? All mine have really sticky stems and reek of grapefruit. Mine are still germinating from over 5 years ago. Love the cross you've done :biggrin:
e2a - I can really see the EH leave shape in your cross

Latest posts

Latest posts