What's new

African photo thread

indifferent

Veteran
Lunashadow, do you have any pics of your EH?

The forum with the info is now sadly gone, but a couple of years ago, someone did a EH grow there and had a third pheno other then the two types African Seeds mentioned in the line and most people had reported when growing. This third pheno was shorter, faster, more resinous, more potent, very special indeed. Someone else turned up some info about EH that mentioned this third pheno and said it was rare, maybe 1 in 1000, that Ethiopian growers always gave the product of these rare special plants to the priests and elders.

I was sent cuts of her and they weren't rooted so didn't survive the journey, oh so sad. I lost touch with the guy when that forum closed.

P

ptg

Don't know about the grapefruit smell,i'm very bad at odor game,and the last time i eat or smell a real grapefuit was 20 years ago...:biggrin:

The forum with the info is now sadly gone, but a couple of years ago, someone did a EH grow there and had a third pheno other then the two types African Seeds mentioned in the line and most people had reported when growing. This third pheno was shorter, faster, more resinous, more potent, very special indeed. Someone else turned up some info about EH that mentioned this third pheno and said it was rare, maybe 1 in 1000, that Ethiopian growers always gave the product of these rare special plants to the priests and elders.
I already have heard this,and i even see some pics of this pheno,it's a mutant,or a least it didn't grow like other phenos,really compact with special leaves...sadly i didn't see it in flowers...i really wonder if it's so special.

lasko

Ptg what a beauty. respect bro

two crosses with african genetic
picture.php

first is ptk x ciskei bushman (leaves wider than any dc) and mauritius x ciskei bushman
11/13 from start a good month old

indifferent

Veteran
I already have heard this,and i even see some pics of this pheno,it's a mutant,or a least it didn't grow like other phenos,really compact with special leaves...sadly i didn't see it in flowers...i really wonder if it's so special.

I wonder too, without growing a large number of EH seeds it's impossible to know if it does exist, and sadly, no-one has a large number of original EH seeds anymore. I'm hoping to make seeds from the ones I have to preserve the genes, but I only have one pack so unless it's already a very inbred line, i won't be able to preserve all of the genes.

2010 is my African year. I have two plants from exceptional African import that i think are West African as they remind me of Jahwi's Joy, small leaves and thing but woody stems. i also have 5 plants from seeds picked out of some nice Durban Posion and of course, the Ethopians, as long as they germ. After that I'm running some Bushmans/Ciskei, Seedsman Malawi Gold and Swazi Redbeard.

After that, I have some Zamal, Senegalese and Lesotho/Angola but those are all the African strains I have. Hopefully I can track down some more but I reckon i have enough to keep me busy for a while.

Are there any commercially available lines folks would recommend I try? I like the looks of Afropip's Nigerian, should I grab a pack while they are around? Some of the Tiki seedbank stuff like the Bambaataa looks interesting, it's got African genes in it but i think is a hybrid. There's a femmed line called Kwazulu from World of Seeds that looks interesting, i am pretty sure it won't be a pure landrace or anything that exotic, but it looks like it yields big from the pics.

J

jingles

Here is my ethiopian haze a bit more developed,but badly grown, as always i have some probs with her,she's so finicky to grow...but will give good results for sure,really fat buds for a pure sativa.
picture.php
awesome.. I can taste that..:dance013:

S

spliphy

half-African seedlings

half-African seedlings

Initially planned to 'run' some pure Africans but need medicine production also.

First picture is seedlings of the SSH x Malawi Gold which buds I posted earlier...great potency with a crystal clear effect with no 'paranoia' and an exhilarating energy. 15 days from emergence (oldest one)

Secondly is La Nina (f) x Ethiopian Highland...a cross I made a couple of years ago without ever testing the beans. The Super Silver Malawi was so good, I'm curious if this cross will also give similar results. about 10 days from emergence (oldest seedling)

SSM was grown under a vanity fixture with 'full spectrum' enviro-twist flors....the Highland Nina with 400 w MH...soil grow with a bit of 'Flora-Micro'...I don't know why one of the Ninas is a little yellow? ...flowering will probably be outdoors

Attachments

• P1060107.jpg
    P1060107.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 19
  • P1060109.jpg
    P1060109.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 15

indifferent

Veteran
Those both sound like delicious crosses spliphy!

The yield and suitability to indoors will be much increased from the Hazy halves but they will be much more characterful and exotic than your typical hazy hybrid.

Look forward to seeing some flowering shots!

S

spliphy

yeah characterful and exotic

yeah characterful and exotic

Those both sound like delicious crosses spliphy!

The yield and suitability to indoors will be much increased from the Hazy halves but they will be much more characterful and exotic than your typical hazy hybrid.

Look forward to seeing some flowering shots!

hey indifferent, thanks for the encouragement:biggrin:

the purpose of my report hopefully will inspire others to look at African genetics to add another dimension to their herb. by taking their favorite clone...combining it with a 'characterful' Sativa...will give an appreciation of cannabis' variety. African genes, in many cases, are both relatively fast and are Sativas (from a biased Sativa lover).

as far as I can tell none of the potency was diluted of the SSH and additional clarity added, with vigor...of course further phenotype observations will need to be made...I can't believe though that the one plant I grew out is a statistical outlier of the combination.

indifferent

Veteran
I've always thought one of the best ways of enjoying exotic sativa genes for indoor folks is to find the best sativa males and cross em to proven indoor female cuts, just like you have with the SSH. I'm growing a bunch of Africans at the moment and any good looking males will be cloned for future dabbling.

S

spliphy

any insights

any insights

I've always thought one of the best ways of enjoying exotic sativa genes for indoor folks is to find the best sativa males and cross em to proven indoor female cuts, just like you have with the SSH. I'm growing a bunch of Africans at the moment and any good looking males will be cloned for future dabbling.

do you just look at vigor of the male or the resin profile of his sisters or something else? do you do a 'progeny check' too for your males? I think once you know the line of sisters he has, gross morphology will be helpful in choosing the stud.

the Malawi male I used was small and delicate yet had a nice smell-woodsey perfume-like. the SSH really dominated in this cross...essentially I reproduced her with an added component...it seems at first blush:smokeit:

indifferent

Veteran
Well, ideally, I'd like to grow out several sisters to get a feel for what traits I'm looking for from the line, but often this proves to be difficult in a small indoor space. The advantage to using males on proven females is that you can pick truebreeding females that you know well and then in the progeny testing you can clearly see what traits the male has contributed. The problem with growing pure landrace sats indoors is that often they just won't adapt to the conditions, won't flower properly, etc.

Selecting males can be tricky, visible resin and smell are two key things to look at, also structure, how lanky he is, how much branching he has. I always chose the males that show later and have the most branching and the closest overall structure to the best female of the same line, I try to find the male version of the best female(s).

I always discard the earliest males as these tend to have less potency, I always discard and really lanky males that refuse to grow side branches, to me, these put too much energy into growing a big tall fibrous stem when what we want is floral development from every node.

The male selection is made easier the more info you have about the line as a whole, so random males from lines you haven't been able to grow is a lottery, but a fun one to play imho. I have made a few landrace male crosses that I have discarded after growing 10-15 f1 seeds because i could see there were undesirable traits there and not enough desirable ones. Keep the best, discard the rest and this applies to crosses as well as individual plants. If a cross doesn't show you the potential in the f1s, discard it and move on to the next cross. This is why I cross each male to at least 3 females, preferably 5 or 6, this means I can afford to discard some of the crosses if they don't p0lan out as expected.

Did you keep the Malawi male? if you find the SSh dominates too much, you could take the f1 female with the most Malawi traits and pollinate it with the male to produce 75% Malawi seeds then grow those out and look for the individuals with the traits you want and cross em, then you are on the way to stabilising for those traits and with a bit of further selection over a couple of gens you could have a very nice Malawi IBL with reduced flowering time and minimal SSH taste/smell/appearance but shorter structure than the Malawi.

S

spliphy

excellect contribution indifferent

excellect contribution indifferent

this is one of those perennially asked questions...thanks for 'your slice of the pie' good eatin:biggrin:

please join the African Genetics thread I plan to start tomorrow:prettyplease:

indifferent

Veteran
Yeah man, those are just my personal observations over the years, not claiming any of it as hard fact!

I will definitely join in that thread as 2010 is my year of Africans, I have 2 West Africans and 5 Durbans going right now and some Ethiopian Highlands and Durban x Skunks germing.

indifferent

Veteran
No problem man. I hope to post some pics of some of my Africans shortly. The west Africans are still a bit scraggly, they were very finicky in veg and lost a load of leaves when repotted for flowering, but have bounced back and are growing nicely now. Sadly, I've failed to get a clone of either to root out of over a dozen, it is a very hard strain to clone.

The 5 Durbans I have are a right mixed bag. There is one that is growing liek a champion, praying it;s female as it has loads of vigour and iintriguing leaf form, quite different and distinctive, it is also growing a bright green colour and it's perfectly healthy, just unusually bright green. There are two more that are doing okay, less vigour and developing slower, and two that have been weak and spindly since day one and are only now showing signs of picking up.

All 3 of the Ethiopian Highlands germed and I've potted em up to go straight into 12/12.

0 for 6 on the Durban x Skunk but they are old seeds and i have a few more to try. If the Durban x Skunk don't pop I'll probably start some Seedsman Swazi or Bushmanns/Ciskei.

S

spliphy

beautiful cola

beautiful cola

Here is my ethiopian haze a bit more developed,but badly grown, as always i have some probs with her,she's so finicky to grow...but will give good results for sure,really fat buds for a pure sativa.
picture.php

Hey ptg, nice job on your finicky plant:smokey:

looks like you gave her a little too much 'love' and then flushed the snot out of her...the way the leaves curled back up...done it many times:biggrin:

what is the make up of the Ethiopian Haze...O. Haze x Ethiopian Highland? very tasty looking plant, enjoy

best regards

Indiff, I'll post some pics when they've gotten over the fungus gnat infestation mate.

I noticed the EH males were a lot quicker and noticeably stockier than the 3 females i've had.

Bit off topic but just been admiring your Laos on another site PTG. Absolutely gorgeous - How are they doing?

You sure do have some green fingers!

ATB

P

ptg

@ spliphy:

Thanks mate,exactly i gave her too much love,especially too rich soil and too much water...i think things are better now,coming to a normal feeding programme again...

You're almost right about the lineage,it's female ethiopian x male haze...i'm a lucky guy,it's an accidental cross,got only 4 seeds...

Sure she looks good,with compact buds(for a sat),I know i'll enjoy her a lot!:canabis:

@ LunaShadow:

Too bad you've got pest problem!:badday: Hope you sort it out fast and easily!

Perhaps you have males of the compact phenotype,should be very good to cross with a low yeild potent and tall sativa or a chunky resinous indica,giving you top notch hybrid!

Thanks for the lao!
They are doing great,now at 103 days of flowering start to put weight and resin...

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Great work going on here!
I loooove African Sativas.
I still miss the Boi Vermelho from my young years.

E

elmanito

Great shots everyone.Here the last photo of the Ghanianan sativa.Surprisingly a good strain for scissor hash.

picture.php

picture.php

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis: