What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aeroponic PC case scrog

:joint:damn man..nice clean setup..im interested to see these girls in full bloom..how much louder is this case compared to a normal computer case? also i might have missed it just skimmed this thread but how are you controling odor? sweet growbro..keep it up ill be watchin

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Thanks purpbythepound, (like the name) ... Can't wait for the full bloom either, should be interesting. The PC case is much louder than the average PC but it's the same noise level as a computer server with all the fans cranked up. Odor control is not much of an issue because the computer is in a room that guests don't visit. I run an old Living air machine in that room that was taken off the market because it put out too much ozone.. It gets turned off when I visit the room, always smells like pine trees in there.

C

cork144

Temps have been no problem at all, The dual 120mm's are intake fans to keep air flowing on the plants. there are also 2 filtered passive intakes lower in the case. the 80 cfm blower is exhaust and doing all the cooling. It's never gone past 78F and that was a very hot day 75F in the room the case was in. I drained the res so I could raise it up a few inches and lower it as they get close to the lights. I decided to snap some pics of the roots in the res:

oops stoner mistake,mistaked 2 differentpc grows my bad lol:joint:

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Another update, been working lots of hours and haven't had as much time to care for the system, but all remains stable so far. Here are some pictures:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Wow! that looks like a good case indeed, those big fans might be hard to light proof and need to be moved higher.
I chose aluminum because it's much easier to cool than steel or plastic. The case is a huge heat sink, anything you mount to it ballast, light reflector, ect stays very cool. I have my light reflector glued to the top of the case via heat sink glue and it removes lots of heat. It's hard to find a case long enough for the 55w PL-L lamps.

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
sorry to ask again, but is there a specific model that you used? I'd like something huge

ArcticBlast

Lord Doobie

Thx Aerohead for giving me some ideas. I'll try a variation for fun this summer.

I just saw someone selling brand new old server cases for $5...jackpot.

I'm wondering how those lights are being measured if one side isn't being used? Can I make the fixture myself?

Couldn't you just use a huge 150w or 200w EcoPlus or HYDROFARM Fluorescent grow light? Seems it would be easier...

With these micro grows, lights seems to be the most important element (bada boom).

Did I miss the balast?

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Thx Aerohead for giving me some ideas.

No problem Lord Doobie, comes around goes around, I got many of my ideas from people on this forum too.

I don't think a 150-200w Ecoplus would do as good of a job as the PL-L's because of the extra room they take up. If you look at my case, the light spread is even along the entire top of the case. The PL-L's are so flat they only consume 1-1/4" of the case height rather than 4-5" for a large 150w cfl. The heat is also easier to remove with the PL-L's because of the even spread of light. You are right a single large CFL would be easier to install but I don't think the results of the grow would be anywhere near as good.

You have several choices while building a PL-L system, I built mine from a dual PL-L light hood and added an additional ballast for the third light. A member on here (Hydro-Soil) has a wealth of info on these lights, where to get them, and how to wire them up. He has a good thread on them here: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=104860 check it out it's a good read.

You didn't miss the ballasts, they are mounted outside the case for heat issues.

Lord Doobie

Interesting read...I was wondering some things
Your case looks like a server tower...24x24x8...and you're running 14000 lumens with 3 bulbs...kinda...I guess only a lightmeter would tell for sure.
Is there a minimum lumens for this grow?
Is there a point where lumens become overkill?
Or is it always the more lumens the merrier?
I wouldn't want to waste power...

Also, what happens when the ballast fails? Isn't that some sort of fire-hazard? I may want to mount it inside a separate part of the PC which, being all metal, would contain any fire.

Thx

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Your case looks like a server tower...24x24x8...and you're running 14000 lumens with 3 bulbs...kinda...I guess only a lightmeter would tell for sure.
Right, claimed 14000 lumens or so but no actual readings with a meter, just a ball park figure.

Is there a minimum lumens for this grow?
I'm sure there is but I don't know what that number would be.

Is there a point where lumens become overkill?
Or is it always the more lumens the merrier?

I'm sure there is a point of overkill but this isn't it, I feel I could still use more light. Generally the more lumens the merrier.
I'm sure there is an ideal amount of light, followed by diminishing returns, then too much light turning leaves white. I am nowhere near too much light (bleaching leaves) I'm sure they could take more light. Looks like you want to stop right before the diminishing return point, I just don't know what that number is.

Also, what happens when the ballast fails? Isn't that some sort of fire-hazard? I may want to mount it inside a separate part of the PC which, being all metal, would contain any fire.

It's unlikely they will catch fire but still a good idea to mount them metal (have to be grounded) and away from anything that could catch fire. They are UL listed and have their own metal box that should contain a fire should they short out.

T

teerull

lookin' real sweet Aerohead!
can't wait to see those sweet colas you'll have in a few more weeks!

peace,
T:joint:

C

cork144

the larger topps there are what you want to be focusing on, make sure each one has planty of space between each other, then watch those babys boom.