What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Across International

HG23

Hash,

What is your finishing/pre-purge tech like? Does the expansion of the concentrate (muffin) when first exposed to vacuum move the top sheet of glass around at all or is the sheet heavy enough to contain it?

I pour onto a round PTFE sheet in a pyrex dish at about 110 degrees until I get baseball sized bubbles. Then I pull as big a muffin as possible in my 3.5 gal chamber. After the muffin settles I will either flip and pull the PTFE off or if it is still too sticky I will throw it in my oven at about 90 degrees with the oil pancaked between the PTFE (top) and parchment (bottom). I love the fact that I can pour sub-zero butane onto the PTFE sheets but it is a bit tackier than parchment. After an hour at -29.5 Hg the oil has settled onto the lower piece of parchment without much manipulation while it's exposed to open air. After that is when I pancake the oil between parchment and glass pieces and vac at 95 degrees and slowly ramp up to 105. Then, I pull it out, flip it, pull off the top sheet of parchment, and then continue up to my final purge at 115.

Chonkski

The local Ace cut it to size for me and it cost $3/sq ft.

Think they can do the same with granite or marble?

I have two of the .9cubic feet units and I've been doing a bunch of experimenting.. I'm just using the racks right now and pretty much just plug and play.. Haven't had too much troubles but I know that getting some thermal mass in there will probably double the efficiency.

I'm in the mountains so I don't know where I can go to get a couple pieces cut that small

Think they can do the same with granite or marble?

I have two of the .9cubic feet units and I've been doing a bunch of experimenting.. I'm just using the racks right now and pretty much just plug and play.. Haven't had too much troubles but I know that getting some thermal mass in there will probably double the efficiency.

I'm in the mountains so I don't know where I can go to get a couple pieces cut that small

Their cutting capabilities are pretty limited. You may want to talk to a flooring or counter-top cutting contractor if you are set on granite or marble. I opted for the glass because it is cheap and easily stackable so you can do several separate slabs at the same time.

A6 Grower

Veteran
I just had these made and just had the thought about this same thing last night. Im going to get some SS cut just smaller then these shelves i just had made. Awesome idea man!!! :thumbup:

These shelves are perfect for pouring, we lay the ptfe onto them with the corners folded slightly so it lays flat and then pour the liquid, after the butane is gone-ish we toss it in the oven and pull a muffin and release vac to let it spread then leave it on the ptfe until its stable enough to pull off onto parchment and then finish on there.

Attachments

• 10499133_1394200554138157_1142147655_n.jpg
    10499133_1394200554138157_1142147655_n.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 9

Sirdabsalot46n2

Veteran
I recently invested in 2 pieces of glass cut to the size of my shelf (a whopping $6). I pancake my slab between 2 sheets of parchment and place that between the 2 pieces of glass. I put it in the oven and vac immediately at 95 degrees. After an hour or so I have an evenly distributed slab. I remove the top glass and parchment and continue with my purge from there. It works significantly better than rolling it flat, which I try to refrain from ever doing. I have only been doing it for a few days, and it really seems to cut down on purge time and inconsistencies in my slabs.
:thank you: HashoftheTitans !
Great idea, lol ... As much as I "preach" about using both top and bottom heat sources, this one flew right over my head. Nice job.

dopecook

Hey yall -

I just got a set of Ikea lights ($15) that are identical to the ones Across International is selling for $130. I went to install them and realized that I forgot about the whole me being retarded thing. There is no easy way to install them. The only place to string the cord is through the air inlet. That involves cutting some tubing and re arranging things, and I'm not about to start messing with something I depend on everyday.

Has anyone installed lights in their AI? Tips tricks adivce?

I might shell over the $135....

On another note, for people looking to buy pre-fabbed racks for your ovens, you can buy the knock off ones on ebay for $65 each instead of $79 from AI. That's buy 3 get 1 free almost! http://stores.ebay.com/Hydrion-Scie...7766017&_sid=1024401747&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

dc

Jdubba

Hey yall -

I just got a set of Ikea lights ($15) that are identical to the ones Across International is selling for $130. I went to install them and realized that I forgot about the whole me being retarded thing. There is no easy way to install them. The only place to string the cord is through the air inlet. That involves cutting some tubing and re arranging things, and I'm not about to start messing with something I depend on everyday.

On another note, for people looking to buy pre-fabbed racks for your ovens, you can buy the knock off ones on ebay for $65 each instead of $79 from AI. That's buy 3 get 1 free almost! http://stores.ebay.com/Hydrion-Scie...7766017&_sid=1024401747&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

dc

The AI LED lights don't go inside the chamber. They go between the glass and the safety shield. Also the way the shelves mount on the Hydrion ovens is different then the AI ovens. :dance013:

Hey yall -

dc

What Jdubba said.

Also, just have some aluminum cut to size. The hell with AI's prices! A local metal shop quoted me $13 a piece for 11"x11"x.125" aluminum sheets. AI's shelves are only 0.0787402" thick.

audiohi

Veteran
Hey yall -

dc

Yup, works great! Everything I needed was included in the ikea kit. Just remove the safety glass and I installed all four around the outside edges. It was actually really easy

audiohi

Veteran
:tiphat: The lights really add a nice touch!

The shelves are the Across International stone shelves.

Chonkski

Meeeee toooo, :(

This freaking clip on light is sad compared to those sweet lights.

I gotta have em

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 9

UNREGISTRD

The AI LED lights don't go inside the chamber. They go between the glass and the safety shield. Also the way the shelves mount on the Hydrion ovens is different then the AI ovens. :dance013:

Excellent so any led strip will work.. Get sum 2 sided tape and your done...

just ordered led strip lights off ebay with a remote and everything. comes with 5m of strip lights which is ridiculously more then i need but its only $18. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5M-5050...y_Lights&var=420192232925&hash=item1c383eed33

Sweettt let us know how these work.. Well have to follow suit.. :dance013:

bismu

Heat transfer in a vacuum is via radiation, or conduction, because there is no atmosphere present for convection transfer.

Radiant takes a long time, so you are better off relying on conduction.

The wire shelves don't transfer the heat from the heated walls as well as a solid shelf attached to those walls, and don't hold much heat to transfer to the product, or retain much when the doors are opened for loading.

I recommend that you get a marble or granite slab to place on the shelf, to add some thermal mass which holds heat and to stabilize the temperature swings of the oven.

You are in the 115F temperature range that we make shatter, but if you want wax, I suggest you go higher.

That temperature varies by strain and age of material, so you have to experiment with each batch, and it also depends on whether you pull to 29.5" Hg and slowly ramp up the temperature, or stick it in the oven at full temperature and slowly increment down the vacuum.

The former works for me between about~85F/140F and the latter between about ~150/170F.

Im just doing to leave this here. http://boasandballs.com/Heat.html
Also dont use those thermostats on that website. It just turns the tape on and off which can reach 115f. I will get a link to a digital controller used for incubotors which varies the voltage to the tape so it maintains a constant temp. I have not tried it but think it could work since people are adding lights.

DankGuy

Yup, works great! Everything I needed was included in the ikea kit. Just remove the safety glass and I installed all four around the outside edges. It was actually really easy
Can you provide a link to the ikea lights you purchased audio hi?