What's new

ACETONE is WIDELY used as an ORGANIC solvent.

deltronZER0

Who:
Do you do a liquid liquid extraction?
or do you just extract the thc and purge it?

also, I feel like you might appreciate the cannabis alchemy pdf thats floating around.
It shows a really interesting way to evaporate without any danger of explosion or fumes.
they basically use a pot inside of a pot, with a plastic bag over the top of the outer pot, and a upside down lid cooled with ice from the outside and a pot to collect the solvent over the THC wash that you're evap'ing.
that sounds really confusing, lets see if I can clarify,
Basically, you evaporate the solvent off inside of a larger sealed vessel, and then the solvent condenses on the ice cooled lid and drips into a pot seperate from your (soon to be) oil. This solves the problem of needing a wide open and outdoor space to do this, and also the vapor pressure inside of the outer sealed vessel, since almost as soon as it's a vapor, its condensed again into a liquid.

cornflake

better'n coco pops any ol' day o da week
Veteran
YOUR NOT FUCKING SMOKING EITHER OF THEM.

There is no confusion here.

The guys don't understand that they have no way to test for residual un-evaporated solvent, therefore you do not use acetone, as it's an extremely dangerous chemical to ingest.

You cannot be sure you've removed all the solvent once you're done, therefore you place yoursel at huge risk.

As Papulz said.

The replies here are not so much to whoman and his sidekick, but to other people who might try to use acetone and poison themselves. Deal with it.

gunnaknow

I take the middle ground. As I said in post 3 of this thread, capitalizing and underlining the words "organic solvent", as if this was significant was wrong but the point that he was trying (with the wrong terminology) to get at was correct. As I said in another thread before this one, acetone is biosynthesized in the body and isopropyl alcohol is converted by the liver into acetone. It's toxicity is very similar to that of ISO. If you wish to warn against the use of acetone then you should do the same for ISO.

I do not endorse the use of either, it is for each individual to decide what they wish to use. If you aren't comfortable using acetone, then please don't use it. If, however you are going to try to convince others not to use acetone, on the grounds that it is more toxic than other commonly used solvents, such as ISO, then you should provide evidence of this with links. If you can't do this then you don't really have a case. Just incase anyone was wondering, here are the oral LD50 (lethal dose for 50% of animals) for ISO and acetone. The first thing that will strike you is how similar their levels of toxicity are.

ISOPROPANOL LD50 (oral)
5045 mg/kg [Rat]
3600 mg/kg [Mouse].
6410 mg/kg [Rabbit]

ACETONE LD50 (oral)
5800 mg/kg [Rat]
3000 mg/kg [Mouse]
5340 mg/kg [Rabbit]

The LC50 of ISO and acetone, by inhalation is also similar.

ISOPROPANOL LC50 (inhalation)
16,000-19,000 ppm/8hr [Rats]

ACETONE LC50 (inhalation)
21,000 ppm/8hr [Rats]

Lastly, the permissible exposure limits for humans

ISOPROPANOL
200 ppm ACGIH TLV-TWA
400 ppm ACGIH TLV-STEL
400 ppm OSHA PEL-TWA

ACETONE
500 ppm ACGIH TLV-TWA
750 ppm ACGIH TLV-STEL
1000 ppm OSHA PEL-TWA

Acetone is used as solvent B in cocaine salting, nobody seems to complain about that. You can use dry ethanol for solvent B as well......I'd probably worry less but it would really depend on the purity of the acetone. Different brands have different qualities.

Sleestak

WhoMan,, why so much green material in your oil?? don't know why someone would want that over golden-clear shatter oil (BHO). :2cents:

I kinda see where the ethanol folks are coming from ('natural'), but I don't see any advantage that acetone has over other solvents.

gunnaknow

The point wasn't to endorse acetone as the best solvent but to point out that it is no more toxic than most other commonly used solvents. It has a similar dielectric constant to ISO but it's aprotic, so it probably has solvent properties that are somewhere between ISO and DCM. The main advantages of acetone are that like ISO, it is cheap, readily available and relatively non toxic. The advantage that it has over ISO is that it's boiling point is 26°C lower than that of ISO's. As I said though, I don't think that the point of this thread was to state that acetone is better than any other solvent but rather to point out that it deserves to be recognised as an acceptable solvent to use and that it is interchangable with more widely accepted solvents like ISO.

Sleestak

It has a similar dielectric constant to ISO but it's aprotic, so it probably has solvent properties that are somewhere between ISO and DCM.

I have no idea what you just said. Which is probably why I like to keep it simple n stick to bho, sift n bubble.

And no offense meant to Who, was just saying if those were the pics he posted in support of acetone,, well.....

gunnaknow

Oh I agree, Sleestak but you need to take into account that he shakes the trim in the acetone for several minutes until it turns dark and that he doesn't use a filter of any kind. The quality of his oil is nothing to do with the fact that he's using acetone but the fact that he's doing a long wash and not filtering. You can expect to make some fairly light amber if you quick wash the trim in acetone for <60 seconds and filter properly.

W

WhoMan

WhoMan,, why so much green material in your oil?? quote]
I did that in less than 10 minutes to snap the photos for a thread in here, anyhow i just did it in a bowl and dumped it in the drying dish using my hand to stop the plant matter,if im only making a lil i dont get maticulate, it doesnt bother me to have those lil stragglers in there. however if i make a big batch i will use a bottle and strain with the lid then dump from that dish to another dish and that will leave all the left over plant matter behind. Good day to all Whoman:joint:

W

WhoMan

Oh I agree, Sleestak but you need to take into account that he shakes the trim in the acetone for several minutes until it turns dark and that he doesn't use a filter of any kind. The quality of his oil is nothing to do with the fact that he's using acetone but the fact that he's doing a long wash and not filtering. You can expect to make some fairly light amber if you quick wash the trim in acetone for <60 seconds and filter properly.
He is correct, hit for 2 seconds dump and filter and you will have n-ice (edit-looking) crystals that will wreck yer ass:)

W

WhoMan

You know some people like their moonshine clear, well i like mine charcoal filtered> Whoman

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
WM
Igot like 3zips of some that was dry seived ,broke up well (not shake ,,,but close)
what you think worth doing?

W

WhoMan

Then give us a report. I have another way to hit the oil or the hash that crushes anything i have ever done. I havent done this in years but if you wanna take it to another level get a funnel, torch, 2 butter knives, a safety pin or something to hold a ball of hash. Heat the tips of the butter knives till they are red, put the safety pin with the ball of hash on it under the funnel, (it usually takes two people) put your mouth over the funnel and get someone to smash the hash between the tips of the heated butter knives and inhale. Its a quick lil burst of smoke but when it gets inside of your lungs it explodes like a stick of dynamite and well you wont get off that floor for a good while:) Im sure some of the older heads on here have done this a few times, not many but a few:) Whoman

Sleestak

Gotcha WhoMan..didn't see that was a quick demo unfiltered run. You feel acetone has advantages over other solvents?

Wfw1

The point wasn't to endorse acetone as the best solvent but to point out that it is no more toxic than most other commonly used solvents. It has a similar dielectric constant to ISO but it's aprotic, so it probably has solvent properties that are somewhere between ISO and DCM. The main advantages of acetone are that like ISO, it is cheap, readily available and relatively non toxic. The advantage that it has over ISO is that it's boiling point is 26°C lower than that of ISO's. As I said though, I don't think that the point of this thread was to state that acetone is better than any other solvent but rather to point out that it deserves to be recognised as an acceptable solvent to use and that it is interchangable with more widely accepted solvents like ISO.

Gunna already answered that Sleestak

I N Hail

Veteran
We'll do, gotta do the oudoor thing today . but might have some time tonight

I'll throw a pic in here when i do .

Thanks WM

I N Hail

I N Hail

Veteran
WM
heres a couple of shot while evaporating.

Kinda looks a little green ,What you think?

I know i was going ouside but got exited to try this