What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace Sativas own Old Toker

Old Toker

Wow Old Toker,

These are some really serious colas! :) You are doing a great job with them despite the slight feeding problem. They are already anticipating great things for their last month of flowering. Thanks for the updates!
Thank you sir! The fact that these girls can not only survive my clumsy attempts at growing, but actually do reasonably well is quite a testament to the great genetics you're producing at Ace Seeds. Much thanks and appreciation. :tiphat:

deepwaterdude

Very nice, Sir OT. I second dubi's emotion; wow. Definitely got your hands full, sir. Just huuuge, manly grow, no skirts less it be a kilt!

Ramsthepharoah

Looking good!!

Looking good!!

Hey OT!! Glad to see your girls are doing well!! I'm with DWD I like the jungle shots. Your girls look every healthy despite them growing wildly!! Look forward to seeing more. What the smells like with each strain?? I love just going through my garden and trying to decipher the complex terpene profile each plant has to offer. It's very therapeutic and interesting how this plant can have so much complexity.

Old Toker

Hey OT!! Glad to see your girls are doing well!! I'm with DWD I like the jungle shots. Your girls look every healthy despite them growing wildly!! Look forward to seeing more.
Thank you RTP! :tiphat:
What the smells like with each strain??
Not sure my nose is good enough to differentiate between all the different plants in my jungle. It's just an overwhelming combination of scents. Hopefully I'll be able to give you a better answer when I harvest them as I think it's likely that I'll be harvesting each one at least a few days apart. :tiphat:

Ramsthepharoah

Looking forward!!

Looking forward!!

Thank you RTP! :tiphat:
Not sure my nose is good enough to differentiate between all the different plants in my jungle. It's just an overwhelming combination of scents. Hopefully I'll be able to give you a better answer when I harvest them as I think it's likely that I'll be harvesting each one at least a few days apart. :tiphat:

Cool... I look forward to hearing the final analysis on your girls. You'll definitely be able to tell once you're done curing. Everything looks great!! Nice elongated colas formed and growing. I've enjoyed going through your thread and seeing the progression!!

Old Toker

OK....Day 65 (9wks+2 days) of 12/12
Girls seem to be doing better. EC is 1.6 and Ph is 6.1
Thanks everyone for following my grow....just not much to report this week. Currently have some weekend guests so hopefully tomorrow I can try to tie everything back from the bulb and closer to the screen. :tiphat:

Couple of overgrown tent pics.

1st pic is two GTs with a Malwai barely in the pic to the left.
2nd is a Zam...with a bent over PH cola towards the left top and a Malawi towards the right side.

Attachments

• IMG_20170507_211352.jpg
    IMG_20170507_211352.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20170507_211401.jpg
    IMG_20170507_211401.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 7

Old Toker

Found this on my smaller GT. Hopefully these are developing flowers and NOT pollen sacks. Is this picture clear enough to make a determination?:tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_20170508_220401.jpg
    IMG_20170508_220401.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 12

orfeas

Veteran
Found this on my smaller GT. Hopefully these are developing flowers and NOT pollen sacks. Is this picture clear enough to make a determination?:tiphat:

Were the undefined balls what you dread, they would be full of yellow powder, wouldn't they? :)

:tiphat:Orfeas

Old Toker

Just a note for anyone else considering growing vertically with an 860w CDM bulb......yes....even after all the hours this bulb has been used during this grow....it is still f'n HOT. I am clearly in the remedial class of slow learners.:tiphat:

deepwaterdude

Just a note for anyone else considering growing vertically with an 860w CDM bulb......yes....even after all the hours this bulb has been used during this grow....it is still f'n HOT. I am clearly in the remedial class of slow learners.:tiphat:

Hmmm, lemme get this straight; you thought a bulb as it deteriorates would become MORE efficient? That outdoor Malawi must be STRONG;) I bet you could aircool that puppy, run it vertical in a cooltube.

You know what? Remember waaaay back when you asked about flushing coco and I was saying it's unnecessary? SO now I'm flushing the girls before change of nutes. Turns out the medium is still pretty hot and I've probably been asking them to eat too much. Life's a giggle like that:biggrin: Sigh.

Old Toker

Hmmm, lemme get this straight; you thought a bulb as it deteriorates would become MORE efficient? That outdoor Malawi must be STRONG;) I bet you could aircool that puppy, run it vertical in a cooltube.
No....I never thought it would run cooler as it deteriorated and became more inefficient.....I was simply passing on my first hand (actually arm) experiences for those that might. In other words....I took another one for the team. Just the kind of guy that I am. :) BTW - in case I didn't mention it....that bulb is f'n HOT.
Turns out the medium is still pretty hot and I've probably been asking them to eat too much.
What EC were you feeding at? I seem to recall that it was substantially higher than my modest (safe) 1.2 and I raised it to 1.6 with the Cal-Mag being about .2 of that. Do you just have some burnt tips or something more severe? :tiphat:

deepwaterdude

Takes me a while to get things, but sounds like your bulb's pretty hot, maybe. You can do the back-o'-the hand test, see how far your girls need to be from it. Do NOT stick the back of your hand to the hot bulb, that's the wrong test. But see at what distance the sensitive skin on the back of the hand starts to smart after 30 sec. Of course you're using cdm so a healthy dose of sunscreen;)

As for my babes, no tip burn, or less than a millimeter, just a lack of vigor in week 5 in the trough. Light change has affected them too, the little divas, but the leaves hadn't been their spritely selves since I upped the EC. I had gone up to EC 2.1 at the highest and then dropped back to 1.7-1.9. Runoff yesterday was at 4.8 (may kill them yet) and after 24 hours of .4 or less EC pHd water it's 3.0, so I'm thinking the excess gunky floranova is washing out and'll be in the 1's by tomorrow. I was an idiot and ordered grow nutes instead of bloom and the bloom finally gets here tomorrow, so I used the time for the flush. They're not complaining at all. I'll go MUCH lower with the new nutes.

Old Toker

Takes me a while to get things, but sounds like your bulb's pretty hot, maybe.
I'm sorry if perhaps I misled you.....no.... my 860w bulb is not "pretty hot, maybe", it's seriously f'n hot, definitely.
You can do the back-o'-the hand test, see how far your girls need to be from it.
Yah....I do this every time I tie back my plants.
Do NOT stick the back of your hand to the hot bulb, that's the wrong test.
Fortunately I was too smart to do THIS test. I tried the arm, head, arm test. Quite similar....just more difficult to put ice on.
As for my babes, no tip burn, or less than a millimeter, just a lack of vigor in week 5 in the trough. Light change has affected them too, the little divas, but the leaves hadn't been their spritely selves since I upped the EC. I had gone up to EC 2.1 at the highest and then dropped back to 1.7-1.9. Runoff yesterday was at 4.8 (may kill them yet) and after 24 hours of .4 or less EC pHd water it's 3.0, so I'm thinking the excess gunky floranova is washing out and'll be in the 1's by tomorrow. I was an idiot and ordered grow nutes instead of bloom and the bloom finally gets here tomorrow, so I used the time for the flush. They're not complaining at all. I'll go MUCH lower with the new nutes.
I'm having some difficulty understanding your method for nutes. I thought that when you are running a strain for the first time....and you wanted to determine the max EC that strain could handle..you started the EC low....and gradually increased it until you saw some sign of burn....then backed it off .1 or .2 EC? How did you decide on the 2.1 for week 5?
Good news is that it doesn't sound as though any serious damage was done. When/if Dubi ever releases this strain commercially and his grow instructions say "We recommend low-average fertilizer levels for the whole cycle, especially Nitrogen"....we'll know he means less than 2.1EC. :tiphat:

Old Toker

Day 72 of 12/12. No pics tonight....probably tomorrow. Girls seem to be responding to the increase of Cal-Mag and higher EC. Damage to the leaves won't be repaired...but hopefully going forward this solved the problem(s). Managed to get in right before lights on with a lamp and tie back the plants in the rear of the tent and the ones I couldn't reach with that hot as* bulb lit. Branches are getting so thick with flowers I'm having a difficult time finding a bare spot to wrap the pipe cleaner around. Had to thread it like a needle between flowers more than a few times. I'm sure I still crushed a few flowers. Everything is very sticky. My fingers, hands and arms are covered.

10 weeks & two days. Hopefully something will be ready to flush in another 2-3 weeks. Still expecting this grow to go at least 14-16 weeks. Particularly the PHs.

Starting to think about how I'm going to dry them after harvest. The tent will be in use. Ordered a couple of big wardrobe boxes but I need to figure out something for smell....and ventilation....and air flow.

Hope everyone is doing well! :tiphat:

seabird

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I see you are in "deep south", in which I assume is very humid.
If you anticipate humidity being an issue with drying, I have a rough design for a drying system that I've developed for a friend in FL. Can be tent or box with screens, its mostly ducting with a few cheapish components in path.

The general flow is:

- Small can fan with low airflow@ (x) CFM, high static pressure.(maybe 4" and less than 180CFM?)

piped to -

- Concealed UV-C light on intake(dont let it hit plants, or your eyes/skin at all <-- I mean it)

- Peltier Junctions with cold side mated to heatsink with large surface area to take some water out of air, or chilled water loop with radiator. Will need to drop tube to bucket to collect excess water.(hot side of peltier's need heatsink also, keep isolated from inner duct)

piped to -

- Your drying area, tent or box. With drier than ambient humidity passing by.

piped to -

- Carbon filter on your exhaust, with approx CFM rating as fan;might want to try long one, but 4" diameter for plumbing simplicity.

Matching CFM is important, and the real effectiveness comes with how to remove water from air.
If you would like more in depth ideas/help, please let me know.

seabird

Probably a coarse filter too just to keep largish debris out. optional hepa(again match CFM and check static pressure)

Old Toker

I was thinking of using a large wardrobe box. I'd run one of my tent intake vent hoses into one side (low) of the box....straight through the box and out the other side. Inside the box..make a few slash holes in the top of the vent hose (dryer hose) so that sucks some of the air from in the box... (hopefully) creating negative pressure. Put a few holes in the sides of the box to relieve some of the negative pressure and to get some air flow.

The wardrobe box would be in my garage....which is my "lung" room. I can easily keep the temps in the lung room below 70f.

The problem is humidity. I will have plants finishing (late flower) in the tent...and I want the humidity entering it to be under 60%rh. That requires the dehumidifier in the lung room to be set at about 50%....which is about 10% dryer than what I would like to dry my plants. Also how much would sucking some moist air from the drying box increase the Rh% in the flowering tent? Enough to even matter? I could raise the Rh% in the garage to 60% and allow 70%+ humid air into my flowering room....probably not a good idea in the SE.

Was also considering just a closed wardrobe box with a small fan NOT pointed directly at the plants but enough to circulate the air. Open the box every couple of hours to let humid air out....and lower Rh% air in. Or just put a few holes in the box to allow a small air exchange. Still have to deal with smell though. Not sure if the intakes into the tent will keep the smell down in the garage.

Any opinions, suggestions, or ideas? I'd rather not buy any additional filters/fans....if I can avoid it.:tiphat: