What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace Sativas own Old Toker

akirabull

..Which is why I'm going to try different harvest times... the idea is good but not the best way to understand your crop if your plant are different strains and phenotypes. usually i like to push first run from seeds till the end of last harvest window if possible, than doing a second run with clones to try combo of different photoperiod and harvest time. with seeds usually plant goes bigger and yours are huge so you will have probably upper buds more ripe than above, this is usually my way to have from first run a quite homogeneous harvest with usually lower buds less ripe. put your upper and lower buds in different jars and wait.

Old Toker

..with seeds usually plant goes bigger and yours are huge so you will have probably upper buds more ripe than above, this is usually my way to have from first run a quite homogeneous harvest with usually lower buds less ripe. put your upper and lower buds in different jars and wait.
:tiphat:Thank you.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I know. Opinions are all over the place depending on strains and personal preferences. I think the only fair thing to do is to sample early and often.:) I'm not sure that I'm a sophisticated enough stoner to be able to discern the finer differences between harvest times and strains...but I'm willing to "take one for the team". Just the kinda guy I am. :tiphat:

plus rep!

deepwaterdude

I'll throw my nickel (wrench) into the harvest conversation;) In the form of an SAT question, apparently.
If the goal is buds from each plant at different stages of ripeness, and it is true that at one time the upper buds on a plant more quickly ripen than those at the bottom, why not take the whole plant when top buds are good'n ripe and bottoms less so? Best of both worlds and no stress from predators picking at their bottoms no end;) Plus, as has been stated by wiser people before me, just dried samples are probably not representative of what the plant will do after cure. Kind of like political polling; tempting, exciting and fun, but apparently slightly inaccurate. Hell, it's only after six months that I realized what a beast the Panama is.
Anyway, good morning! Pleasure to read the goings on in the garage, as usual.

akirabull

i'm agree with deepwaterdude ,between a sample dried quickly and a cured bud difference is huge , incomparable. for me select a mother without have waited buds has cured after harvest minimum 3 to 6 month is useless.about upper and lower bud is in part true your think but most effective with indica or polihibrid on indica side where first harvest window is usually 1 or max 2 week early before the end,this quite short time allowed to compare better this difference. in extreme sativas from begin of harvest window to the end weeks can go from 3 to 4 easily so difference is too huge , same plant is totally different with this month extra.

deepwaterdude

i'm agree with deepwaterdude ,between a sample dried quickly and a cured bud difference is huge , incomparable. for me select a mother without have waited buds has cured after harvest minimum 3 to 6 month is useless.about upper and lower bud is in part true your think but most effective with indica or polihibrid on indica side where first harvest window is usually 1 or max 2 week early before the end,this quite short time allowed to compare better this difference. in extreme sativas from begin of harvest window to the end weeks can go from 3 to 4 easily so difference is too huge , same plant is totally different with this month extra.

I don't have enough harvests to know too much about various harvest windows. I turn into a newb at harvest time, awed to have smokeables. Interested to hear more about it for sure. For me there's also the "harvest fever" factor; it's good to have one down to relieve this particular mental pressure. One thing I know about the last two weeks; the plant puts on weight, size and stink. Best reason of all to let the show go on;)

Old Toker

Plus, as has been stated by wiser people before me, just dried samples are probably not representative of what the plant will do after cure. Kind of like political polling; tempting, exciting and fun, but apparently slightly inaccurate. Hell, it's only after six months that I realized what a beast the Panama is.
i'm agree with deepwaterdude ,between a sample dried quickly and a cured bud difference is huge , incomparable. for me select a mother without have waited buds has cured after harvest minimum 3 to 6 month is useless.
The consensus opinion does seem to agree with you gentlemen. :tiphat:
...about upper and lower bud is in part true your think but most effective with indica or polihibrid on indica side where first harvest window is usually 1 or max 2 week early before the end,this quite short time allowed to compare better this difference. in extreme sativas from begin of harvest window to the end weeks can go from 3 to 4 easily so difference is too huge , same plant is totally different with this month extra.
I've pretty much decided that either I'm not enough of a scientist, or I'm just too friggin lazy to spend 6 months keeping track of a large group of jars harvested from various stages of maturity...waiting for them to properly cure....just to satisfy my curiosity about when best to harvest various Sativas. I appreciate all the help and suggestions....but sadly.....someone more organized than I....will have to take one for the team.

I think I'll try to go with the Dubi Special. They're his seeds....he probably knows the best time to harvest them. I did qualify my plan with TRY.

Question(s) If you wait until you think they're done (10% trichs?) .....and then wait two weeks more....doesn't that mean you don't begin to flush your plants until they are already have some amber trichs?:tiphat:

akirabull

For me there's also the "harvest fever" factor; it's good to have one down to relieve this particular mental pressure. jajajaja so true, i think is a common fever for growers

akirabull

i didnt flush strongly a pot , i didn't use any chemical or mineral juice during grow or flowering stage and after 70 ,80 days they have eat most of organic nute so usually i finish last period with only RO water with right ph .

Ncali

Veteran
The consensus opinion does seem to agree with you gentlemen. :tiphat:
I've pretty much decided that either I'm not enough of a scientist, or I'm just too friggin lazy to spend 6 months keeping track of a large group of jars harvested from various stages of maturity...waiting for them to properly cure....just to satisfy my curiosity about when best to harvest various Sativas. I appreciate all the help and suggestions....but sadly.....someone more organized than I....will have to take one for the team.

I think I'll try to go with the Dubi Special. They're his seeds....he probably knows the best time to harvest them. I did qualify my plan with TRY.

Question(s) If you wait until you think they're done (10% trichs?) .....and then wait two weeks more....doesn't that mean you don't begin to flush your plants until they are already have some amber trichs?:tiphat:

I like to keep mental notes on a jar, might even write something down about how I feel about more or less on the harvest window. Just for cloned plants, I decide if the next run's harvest is same, earlier or later... write the planned harvest date down on the calendar. Let my sssdh#3 run a little later (10 days longer) this last run, influencing factor was the wifey feeling sick every time she took a big hit of it (too racy and disorienting). The hope is that it mellows out on disorienting factor, and make it more tolerable for her. If not, she can just go grab a different jar, right? haha. I have a few that I've got just where I like it.

But, meh, things don't change too much if you're in the target window? If you take waaay early, or waaaay late yeah there are going to be notable differences. Otherwise, taking it at peak potency is my #1. If the effect isn't ideal for what i'm targeting within a set of genetics, pop more beans from that gene pool, or jump into a new pool. :) But I think we're talking fine tuning here, not changing the core characteristics of these girls.

Old Toker

But, meh, things don't change too much if you're in the target window? If you take waaay early, or waaaay late yeah there are going to be notable differences. Otherwise, taking it at peak potency is my #1. If the effect isn't ideal for what i'm targeting within a set of genetics, pop more beans from that gene pool, or jump into a new pool. :) But I think we're talking fine tuning here, not changing the core characteristics of these girls.
Thank you sir! I think I will keep notes on the label. Great suggestion. I was just going to use a piece of masking tape with the strain and date. I can just use additional pieces of tape on the jars like "stickie notes". :tiphat:

Old Toker

Here you go DWD. A couple of Panama Haze pics to hold you over until your Panama is ready.:tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_20170602_213612.jpg
    IMG_20170602_213612.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20170602_213619.jpg
    IMG_20170602_213619.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170602_213739.jpg
    IMG_20170602_213739.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 14

Old Toker

Vertical grows are disorienting;0) Can't tell exactly what I'm looking at, just that it's gnarly, healthy and desirable;)
The ceiling is at the top.:biggrin:
Quite a few of of the PH cola are growing sideways due to space issues. Hopefully that won't adversely affect the the quality.:tiphat:

orfeas

Veteran
Despite the ceiling being at the top, the photos are disorienting... :) yet I'll stick to DWD's adjectives!

:tiphat:Orfeas

Old Toker

..the photos are disorienting...
Sorry about the pics. You guys have a pretty good feeling for what my tent full of girls look like. Hopefully, the harvest pics will be easier on the eyes.
Today is 92 of 12/12. Girls are doing well and their buds are swelling and putting on weight. Had to tie up a couple of branches that began to sag.
Hope all your grows are doing well!:tiphat:

deepwaterdude

I'm just having fun with you, OT; I'll take a saggy branched, disorienting mass of buds any day over one I can easily figure out;) Absolutely no effect on quality to grow sideways or upside down, sounds also like things are right where they're supposed to be. It's swell and stink time.
When it's time to stop feeding, you could go with RO water and a good organic blackstrap molasses for 10 days/couple weeks. It's got all the CalMag coco plants like/need, plus the sugars, Iron and some other trace elements. 1/2 tsp-1 tsp per gal should do it. Good day, old man, dwd

Latest posts

Latest posts