What's new

Ace Malawi and Cycloptics Greenbeams: caught in the Under Current!

srich250

Yeah great experience, but sucks going through it! :biggrin:

Oh YES!!! Dang Timmur that I have severe empathy for you man!!! This can be heart breaking and very stressful if you let it or think about it the wrong way. I'm too critical and want to grow to the max potential of the plant/strain every grow!!!!!!!!!!!

However, it rarely happens. Especially if you don't have hundreds of grows under your belt and also if you are a tester or you like trying to become an expert on more than one style or method.

It's mind blowing how this is a full time job if you let it be:)!!!!!!

Thankfully it is sooooooo rewarding for me. I hope you can figure out. A way for you to really enjoy "doing this grow WHILE it's happening":)!!!!!! 😁 Don't be like me!!!!!!!!! Then you won't even enjoy the moment !!!!!!!

I relate growing to nurturing. I want to care for and treat these Cannabis ladies as if I truly care about them because I know how many people benefit from its use. I allow that to mean a lot to me. That way,
When I too upset(lol), at making mistakes or still learning , I can still resort to touching the leaves of the plants and while doing leaf inspections I can try and get into a good mental space that is NOT attached to the outcome.

I heard this from a friend of mine about 10 years ago. I can't remember the details but the way I tell it to myself is, "I try to do things to the best my ability without being attached to the outcome."

I'm only saying all the stuff so that you enjoy the process more than myself, without getting caught up in the stresses of mistakes or the learning curve or the challenges. And the disappointments and losses. !!!!

Anyway I just rambled on thinking about good things. I'll look forward to your replies and I'm sending you good vibes on your grown man

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
I'm at about 350 PPM on the 500 scale, but I'm gonna bump it up to about 380-400 over the next 4-5 days.

I'm thinking that the plants need to stay at least 10" off of the lights. If so, they have about 2' more of vertical space. This is really pushing it as I planned on 18" of space between lights and canopy. I think you're right about that stretchy one; she's gonna need some sort of training to keep her out of the lights.

Otherwise they are going to blowup unless you starve them below 700ppm. That will help they stay smaller but it will hurt their potential for sure.

I would do what that guy above said. Bend!!! Train sideways and everything you can to create even canopy and not too thick.

I think Srich is spot on - though heavier handed than I would be with the nutes. ;) Granted, I've never done under current or greenbeams, so call me the guy with the light touch out of fear.

Looking at the plants, if you're at 350ppm / .7EC now, I would say start pushing up to somewhere around 600-750ppm / 1.2-1.5EC.

timmur

I think Srich is spot on - though heavier handed than I would be with the nutes. ;) Granted, I've never done under current or greenbeams, so call me the guy with the light touch out of fear.

Looking at the plants, if you're at 350ppm / .7EC now, I would say start pushing up to somewhere around 600-750ppm / 1.2-1.5EC.

Thanks Terpene. I'm headed to 500 PPM and will keep pushing until I see signs of excess! The growth I'm seeing now is down right scary. I have no idea how I'm gonna keep 'em outta the lights. The stretchy ones are insane. Look at the difference from yesterday.

picture.php

srich250

Just curious so we all can learn from your setup and style .... Are you going to defoliate or train or anything or just let them go huge and see how they end up:)???

frostqueen

Thanks Terpene. I'm headed to 500 PPM and will keep pushing until I see signs of excess! The growth I'm seeing now is down right scary. I have no idea how I'm gonna keep 'em outta the lights. The stretchy ones are insane. Look at the difference from yesterday.

View Image

Looking good, Timmur! They look so much better fed now, eh?

Lateral training, my friend. Get that center plant's tops bent at 90 degrees and you'll be okay I bet. Wonder how long those babies are going to keep stretching? 4 weeks? The others have a nice compact structure.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ifyou are worried about getting up into the lights... maybe a trellis net is in order? you would have to drop it down NOW tho, stretch is just getting going now rite?

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran

View Image

Ive been getting underirable stretch levels sometimes in veg with my GB in my room but there have also been other factors like temp and raising the light for vacation absence at play as well as tweaks to my process ... so a few variables at play so not putting it directly on the GB at all. I think the CMH has been a good step up in veg but might require more pinching and training now

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WOW, Someone been busy. VERY NICE. I think you will have some commingling with your lights as well ;) those are gonna get massive in there. Those look great with that low EC level.

timmur

Yep, jungle in there. Maybe a net is a good idea. Can't use the cages cause the don't fit due to the way I ran the air lines. Gonna have to figure out something quick cause it's getting crazy in there!

gorilla ganja

Hey timmur, Nice to see you getting these ladies dialed in. They are looking healthy.
Going to be a very full room. Best of luck with the rest of the grow.

Peace GG

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
:tiphat: thanks guys.

Now that those nutrients are dialed, you're going to have a mess on your hands in a hurry. You've got a lot of choices here:

1. Start topping the taller plant a couple nodes down the stems and accept the fact you'll have a bunch of evenly sized nuggets at the expense of fewer flashlight sized colas.
  2. Twist / abuse the taller stems till they snap or pop and hope that slows vertical development down to a manageable rate.
  3. Bend the stems 90 degrees and tie them down for a semi-LST setup.
  4. Throw a screen / net over the whole thing, pull the taller branches to the farthest outside openings.

Any or all of these work, just depends on how much tying up you want to do. I personally love screens, but screening a whole room limits mobility and makes for a safe haven for pests at the corners you cant get to. I think in your setup I would snap the stems between every node and try to slow that big one down first before doing anything else, but like I said, they all work to solve the height issue.

One thing is for sure, you're going to produce a hell of a lot of smoke.

gorilla ganja

You forgot to mention taking the fan leaves off. I know it's a big debate to some. But it works wonders for slowing upward growth. And for air flow and light penetration.
Just make sure to leave about 3/4 of the leaf stem on the plant, it will slowly dry up as the plant takes the rest of the goodies out of it.
Personally I think a combination of techniques is needed here. This room is about to explode with growth.

Peace GG

timmur

Gorilla and Terpene, I'm gonna supercrop as mentioned and do some defoliation. Thanks for the suggestions! :tiphat:

I'll post up some pics once I get finished.

Laavamara

plants seem to be budding good.. You should bend them down more for more even canopy and maybe drop those lights a bit? :)
anyways nice to see cmh in action and some malawi goodness.. gonna keep watching. especcially interested in seeing how these tropical sativas act under cmh lightning but so far they seem to be stretching pretty typically?

timmur

plants seem to be budding good.. You should bend them down more for more even canopy and maybe drop those lights a bit? :)
anyways nice to see cmh in action and some malawi goodness.. gonna keep watching. especcially interested in seeing how these tropical sativas act under cmh lightning but so far they seem to be stretching pretty typically?

The lights aren't adjustable; they are mounted to the ceiling. Can't say if the stretch is better or worse than normal as I haven't grown malawi before. I have quite a bit of blue spectrum in this room so I assume the stretch is less than it would be under HPS.

iBogart

Veteran
Good stuff. I think your approach to feeding these plants are paying off. When it comes to fertilizer, more is not better, and from what I read, Malawi is not a heavy feeder to begin with. You acclimated them like a pro, paying attention to the deficiencies early on, and making quick adjustments. Bravo! Only question now is can you be like Tarzan and tame that jungle? Oh, and can you get a shoot of the back row? Just curious what they look like.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ifyou are worried about getting up into the lights... maybe a trellis net is in order? you would have to drop it down NOW tho, stretch is just getting going now rite?

I told him that a week and a half ago lol..their exploding!

rykus

Looks great! Even the slight increase in feed is working wonders,

Was really afraid to see them flowered out at such a low nutrient level... Stoked to see how they'll respond now!

Seems the full defoliate can stop a bit of stretch.. Or at least let some light down low, have been having good success at flip with that myself!

Lookin good either way! Stoked to see buds!

Latest posts

Latest posts